WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Info on Caliber 1 Boats anyone??

crizzo69

Reaction score
Looking for some info on Caliber 1.. I've seen some of their builds over the last couple years and they look great. Wondering how they're holding up? Any have any knowledge of the build quality they have been putting out recently?

4Waters

Reaction score
I have an 06 Caliber 1 210 Magnum, I know it's not a recent build but the boat is solid, it's not a rattle box when you hit boat wakes and chop. It handles chop pretty good and runs great 64mph on GPS with a 305sbc. Hope this helps

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Caliber 1 seems to have a varied history. Some good and some, business wise, not so good. Pretty sure Cliff Loetz was the original owner and founder. Believe Cliff entered boat building as a carpet installer for Bob Leach at Eliminator when they were still in Huntington Park. That was a long time ago. The Caliber 1s of “the era” came with a good reputation.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Looking for some info on Caliber 1.. I've seen some of their builds over the last couple years and they look great. Wondering how they're holding up? Any have any knowledge of the build quality they have been putting out recently?

Don’t buy anything from the late 2000s. Current owners build some decent stuff though.

Sunset

Reaction score
The new owner Robert Hoffman and he has a partner ,hulls are being built in Fontana and I would go by and take a look if in area.
I saw one being built in Havasu last year look solid and clean .
Robert #(714) 785-0864
Cliff built a good boat and bob gave him the molds to get him started but after he sold it the quality?

Last edited:

crizzo69

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've been kind of following them for a couple of years after seeing them at the LA boat show. Was wondering if anyone maybe had one of those builds or something built under current ownership

4Waters

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've been kind of following them for a couple of years after seeing them at the LA boat show. Was wondering if anyone maybe had one of those builds or something built under current ownership
Nothing that I know of, but I am happy with my boat and I haven't talked to anyone that is not happy with their caliber 1

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Nothing that I know of, but I am happy with my boat and I haven't talked to anyone that is not happy with their caliber 1

I was not happy with mine, it had structural issues. But again, mine was a 2008, long after Cliff sold off the brand. Robert’s newer ones are good from what I’ve seen.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have no problems with the guy, but I'm not sure I could pull the trigger on that program.. It's pretty loose to say the least.

RD

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have an 06 Caliber 1 210 Magnum, I know it's not a recent build but the boat is solid, it's not a rattle box when you hit boat wakes and chop. It handles chop pretty good and runs great 64mph on GPS with a 305sbc. Hope this helps

Mine was a 210 Magnum as well. It had a 300 HP Volvo 350 in it. I liked the overall layout of the boat and the space. I had to reengineer the bimini due to a subpar install and too small of hardware, but that was not Caliber 1s fault I don’t think.

The trim was really slow for whatever reason, and that hurt the ride because it took too long to adjust it to water conditions. The boat felt solid until the hull developed a 3 foot crack between the stringers, and another at the back from transom flex. During the 2nd repair (!) some gaps and air pockets were found in the layup in the transom area. The root of the problem was likely fixed, and I promptly sold the boat.

4Waters

Reaction score
Mine was a 210 Magnum as well. It had a 300 HP Volvo 350 in it. I liked the overall layout of the boat and the space. I had to reengineer the bimini due to a subpar install and too small of hardware, but that was not Caliber 1s fault I don’t think.

The trim was really slow for whatever reason, and that hurt the ride because it took too long to adjust it to water conditions. The boat felt solid until the hull developed a 3 foot crack between the stringers, and another at the back from transom flex. During the 2nd repair (!) some gaps and air pockets were found in the layup in the transom area. The root of the problem was likely fixed, and I promptly sold the boat.
Wow what year was it

4Waters

Reaction score
08. They didn’t make many during that time..but like I said, stay away from the late 2000’s boats :)
I was looking at an 08 with Volvo power but sold before I got the money together, mine is actually an 07 (fat fingers hit the 6) with merc power and love it. Sux you had a bad experience. As you know you probably had a rare defect that all boat manufacturers get every once on a while, however it doesn't change the taste in your mouth.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I was looking at an 08 with Volvo power but sold before I got the money together, mine is actually an 07 (fat fingers hit the 6) with merc power and love it. Sux you had a bad experience. As you know you probably had a rare defect that all boat manufacturers get every once on a while, however it doesn't change the taste in your mouth.

What colors were the 08 you were looking at?

I’m not trashing the brand or anything, and at this point it is just a name on a boat because the brand has changed hands a few times, and different people are building them.

4Waters

Reaction score
What colors were the 08 you were looking at?

I’m not trashing the brand or anything, and at this point it is just a name on a boat because the brand has changed hands a few times, and different people are building them.
White green gray and blue. I could post a pic but don't necessarily want to taint the boat for current owner.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
White green gray and blue. I could post a pic but don't necessarily want to taint the boat for current owner.

You dodged a bullet, that was my boat. When was this?

Boat is probably fine after the repair. So if it was in the last 3 years you saw it, you are probably ok. I saw it was for sale last year, I believe from the people I sold it to.

4Waters

Reaction score
You dodged a bullet, that was my boat. When was this?

Boat is probably fine after the repair. So if it was in the last 3 years you saw it, you are probably ok. I saw it was for sale last year, I believe from the people I sold it to.
It was about 3 1/2 years ago. I really liked that one. Ended up getting this one from Grads neighborhood.
2281.jpeg

crizzo69

Reaction score
I have no problems with the guy, but I'm not sure I could pull the trigger on that program.. It's pretty loose to say the least.

RD
Sounds like your opinion is the lower cost of a new build isn't worth the unkown.. Thanks Dave

Reaction score

We actually purchased the company in 2013 and then started building in 2014 after cleaning up the molds and getting our proper crew together.
If you want to check out any of our new line-up of boats, I actually have two that we are currently finishing rigging right now at the shop, a 2650 Deck and a 2450 Phantom. I also have a few customers boats that say whenever I'd like I can take any potential buyers to see them or out for a lake test, so if you are interested in seeing or riding in one just give me a call and set up a time to stop by.

The new shop we just moved into early this year is at 2175 Kiowa N. (unit 107) - 714-785-0864 (my personal cell, call or text)
That's also for Coast Motor Group for sales and service as well.

Also to address the next issue, we definitely aren't going for being a lower cost builder. We are building a loaded boat with lots of options, quality, and flash, right from the get go. So for anyone to say our program is "loose", well that just is just an uneducated statement from someone who has never even been in any of our boats, nor looked at the quality of them. Pretty funny since last year at the boat show he had nothing but good to say about the boats on his video on youtube if you want to search it. Come for a ride Dave and I'll show you how quality our product is. Or you could post the reviews from the two boats that we brought down to Parker for you to test, that your people were very impressed with. Guess I should start paying to advertise on here....... Anyways, I have many customers on my FB that can give you actual opinions of their boats from the build process to currently owning them. Search for me on there under Robert Hoffman and I will introduce you to some customers and give you their contact info. They must be pretty damn proud and satisfied if they are letting me use their boats for every show we go to. And just come see our boats and go for a spin, the proof is in the ride and I'll put the quality up against anything else out there. Not trying to knock any of the top builders or saying "I'm better", but when we took the company over, we said if we can't run with the big boys, there's no point in being a low end builder since that's not what we're buying the company for.

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
What unknown? Several people have commented they build a good boat under current ownership.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We actually purchased the company in 2013 and then started building in 2014 after cleaning up the molds and getting our proper crew together.
If you want to check out any of our new line-up of boats, I actually have two that we are currently finishing rigging right now at the shop, a 2650 Deck and a 2450 Phantom. I also have a few customers boats that say whenever I'd like I can take any potential buyers to see them or out for a lake test, so if you are interested in seeing or riding in one just give me a call and set up a time to stop by.

The new shop we just moved into early this year is at 2175 Kiowa N. (unit 107) - 714-785-0864 (my personal cell, call or text)

Also to address the next issue, we definitely aren't going for being a lower cost builder. We are building a loaded boat with lots of options, quality, and flash, right from the get go. So for anyone to say our program is "loose", well that just is just an uneducated statement from someone who has never even been in any of our boats, nor looked at the quality of them. Pretty funny since last year at the boat show he had nothing but good to say about the boats on his video on youtube if you want to search it. Come for a ride Dave and I'll show you how quality our product is. Or you could post the reviews from the two boats that we brought down to Parker for you to test, that your people were very impressed with. Guess I should start paying to advertise on here....... Anyways, I have many customers on my FB that can give you actual opinions of their boats from the build process to currently owning them. Search for me on there under Robert Hoffman and I will introduce you to some customers and give you their contact info. They must be pretty damn proud and satisfied if they are letting me use their boats for every show we go to. And just come see our boats and go for a spin, the proof is in the ride and I'll put the quality up against anything else out there. Not trying to knock any of the top builders or saying "I'm better", but when we took the company over, we said if we can't run with the big boys, there's no point in being a low end builder since that's not what we're buying the company for.

Well if ya want I will explain the comment Robert.. “Loose”
As in Fast and Loose..

In short it is the extremely wild and unpredictable behavior (consistently) on social media and websites that would have me steering clear.

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score

You dint need to be a paid advertiser to post in the From the Mold section.
Post up some pics of your current builds,
Show us what makes a modern Caliber 1 par with the top builders.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the people involved or the internals of the boats, but from outward appearance they are first rate. The upholstery is as good as I've seen. Pretty sure back in the day the V hulls were rated very well, and their deck is based off the Next. Seems if we can give Ultra a pass, someone should at least look into Caliber 1.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@shueman ?
Fire up the corn popper! This might get good!

I'm not arguing with anybody.. I encourage anyone that wants to know to do the exact same thing Robert suggested.. Look up "Robert Hoffman" on Social Media. If you like what you see, then proceed. If ya don't then don't.

For myself, I would take a different approach to online if I was the face of a boat mfg. He feels different and has his own opinions on it. I have talked to Robert about it several times in the past, and told him my feelings of how this is costing him business, his response was more or less he didn't agree so it is what it is.

RD

Last edited:

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
I'm still just trying to figure out how that affects the quality of a build? Personal feelings aside, the question was about the quality of the boats, not the personality of an owner. Some funny comments online didn't change the quality of a hull or interior or mercury motor last time I checked. Obviously the guy has been pretty successful so far in life not being overly serious about joking online, but being serious where it matters to a paying customer. Just my .02

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I'm still just trying to figure out how that affects the quality of a build? Personal feelings aside, the question was about the quality of the boats, not the personality of an owner. Some funny comments online didn't change the quality of a hull or interior or mercury motor last time I checked. Obviously the guy has been pretty successful so far in life not being overly serious about joking online, but being serious where it matters to a paying customer. Just my .02

I think RD's point is more saying that there have been some examples of erratic behavior of the owner. If you are buying a used boat, no problem. If you are building a new custom, that erratic behavior could be indicative of a less than easy sales process.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I'm not in the habit of talking negatively about manufacturers.. and my intent isn't to talk negatively about Caliber 1. My point earlier was just to say that the things that are happening routinely on Social Media isn't helping the cause.. Ultimately a large part of boat values are based upon the image / reputation of the company or face of the company.

Robert spends a lot of time online metaphorically flicking matches at gas cans.. One day it's gonna burn him, and on that day it will be the tipping point on resale into the future. Depending on the situation, and how bad it is, will determine the ultimate outcome as far as how hard values get hit into the future.

This isn't rocket science, or an opinion.. This is basic marketing and basic business.

RD

Sbarry

Reaction score
I'm not in the habit of talking negatively about manufacturers.. and my intent isn't to talk negatively about Caliber 1. My point earlier was just to say that the things that are happening routinely on Social Media isn't helping the cause.. Ultimately a large part of boat values are based upon the image / reputation of the company or face of the company.

Robert spends a lot of time online metaphorically flicking matches at gas cans.. One day it's gonna burn him, and on that day it will be the tipping point on resale into the future. Depending on the situation, and how bad it is, will determine the ultimate outcome as far as how hard values get hit into the future.

This isn't rocket science, or an opinion.. This is basic marketing and basic business.

RD

BNAG!

Hye Power

Reaction score

RD

I'm yet to hear one thing negative about him from anyone that has bought a boat from him though, it's actually the opposite they usually praise how he went out of his way for them. Also the OP was asking the quality of the boat and how they hold up, I've taken a good look at his boats and spoken to owners of them and they all love their boats. I agree he doesn't social media well I get where you are coming from but not sure how that would effect resale values.

Bleakish Times

Reaction score
IMHO I don't understand the marketing of your company... website is old and tired... you should also be posting short, quality videos of the builds (being a fairly new owner of the brand). I could not even find a single pic of the 265 Silver Bullet Deck with a/the bimini top up. down or even mounted?