WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I'm looking to adopt or purchase a Dog, Riverside Cali.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
This place is a crazy source for all things in life so I figured why not ask in here. We are looking for a family dog that we can take on all our adventures. I do not want this to turn into a debate on what is the best kind of dog out there, or a thread to dispel rumors about dog breeds.

What I'm hoping is that there is someone out there that either has a dog/pup that they need to rehouse, or a source to someone with a litter of pups.

Here is my list of hard NO's:

Any type of Bull Terrier..... I know I know... not my thing, but a happy wife is a happy life.
Yapper dogs that weigh less than my boot.... NO Ankle Bitters

Here is my list of wishes:
Prefer mid sized 25 - 75 lbs
Short hair preferred
Has to be good with small kids
Prefer something that can run, hike, ride in the back of a truck or on a boat.

Open to most breeds other than the listed hard NO's. If it's an older dog, it needs to be house broken and trained on the basic commands. Pups... well that is all on me. We have had Mastiff's for the last 17 years so we kind of have a place in our hearts for the big dogs, but are leaning more towards a dog that is travel friendly inside a vehicle. Not opposed to big one, just not completely sold on getting another one for many reasons.

What is out there?

fmo24

Reaction score
I think someone here wife rescues or helps with German short hair pointers? I will try to think of who

Reactions: t&y

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I think someone here wife rescues or helps with German short hair pointers? I will try to think of who

We had a GSP growing up. I'd be very interested in that if you can find the info.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
All I can say is adopt a dog, they're the best dogs and appreciate you.
Purchased purebreds are more likely to be high maintenance primadona's.
We had good luck at the Riverside County Animal shelter but you need stay on top of their listings. The good dogs go quick. Rescues even come and take the dogs and turn around and re-adopt them out.

Shelters are actually running kinda short on adoptable dogs except the ones I've had a hard NO on. I was going to go back to where I got that husky to check out a Australian Shepherd and it was gone almost as fast it was posted.

I'm not stuck on a purebred by any means. Some of my favorite dogs growing up have been muts.

Ladsm

Reaction score
We have fostered for this group

JB in so cal

Reaction score
My wife is a board member for the German shorthair rescue of so cal. They have about 15-20 dogs I think. All of the dogs are at their shelter in Beaumont. I have 2 from them and in total 5 over time. 9 4 9 3 0 0 3 6 2 7 is my Cel

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Last two of our dogs were though the rescues. One was an all black mix that came from the Golden Retreiver rescue. Stood out like a sore thumb and was the most mellow dog we had ever had. He loved kids, big and small, dogs, cats, people, great dog.
We now have a German Shepard who has the same personality. Can take him anywhere, he just loves to hang out with folks. If someone had a tennis ball, he is their friend for life.
Both were 1 to 2 years old when we got them and they came housebroken and no bad habits.
The rescues are really good at making sure your expectations and the dog are a good fit. Our German Shepard has the personality of a yellow lab, so he flunks full blown watchdog.

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
We had a GSP growing up. I'd be very interested in that if you can find the info.
If you liked the GSP you might also like Wiermaraners.

gqchris

Reaction score
Im with you on the Mastiff love. I miss my big guy. Never got a dog after him. 8 years ago.

New Pictures 220.jpg

FishSniper

Reaction score
This place is a crazy source for all things in life so I figured why not ask in here. We are looking for a family dog that we can take on all our adventures. I do not want this to turn into a debate on what is the best kind of dog out there, or a thread to dispel rumors about dog breeds.

What I'm hoping is that there is someone out there that either has a dog/pup that they need to rehouse, or a source to someone with a litter of pups.

Here is my list of hard NO's:

Any type of Bull Terrier..... I know I know... not my thing, but a happy wife is a happy life.
Yapper dogs that weigh less than my boot.... NO Ankle Bitters

Here is my list of wishes:
Prefer mid sized 25 - 75 lbs
Short hair preferred
Has to be good with small kids
Prefer something that can run, hike, ride in the back of a truck or on a boat.

Open to most breeds other than the listed hard NO's. If it's an older dog, it needs to be house broken and trained on the basic commands. Pups... well that is all on me. We have had Mastiff's for the last 17 years so we kind of have a place in our hearts for the big dogs, but are leaning more towards a dog that is travel friendly inside a vehicle. Not opposed to big one, just not completely sold on getting another one for many reasons.

What is out there?
Not sure your feelings on German shepherds but we adopted/ purchased a 5 year old a couple years ago and he’s been great. https://www.lundborg-land.com She has great dogs. He loves the water and coming to the river.
AE0767C8-F95E-40E6-A179-3AAE72EAF862.jpeg

ssc

Reaction score
I’ve known Linda for years. She has awesome dogs. I’ve bought 2. They aren’t cheap.

Cheers, Steve

boatpi

Reaction score
I adopted two dogs over the years from the orange county animal shelter, they were both fabulous pets.

thmterry

Reaction score
My Dad has a beautiful female AKC German shepherd that he is talking about getting rid of. He is getting old and cant keep up anymore.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
No matter what , they all seem to have some things we like or dislike , , Ours is joined at the hip with Rhonda (wife) I'm the playmate and "spoiler" , Every morning he gets kibbles then waits for a raw beef rib that he takes out to the back yard , she sets the stove timer for 6 minutes , then she calls him , he brings the stripped bone to the back door and gives it up (for a greenie) (past six minutes he'll crack into it) When were gone he just hangs out watching the deer go by , seldom barks but he frikken HATES "Kitties" I swear he can spot one at about 600 feet in my neighbors front pasture , then he "alerts"

Last edited:

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
My wife is a board member for the German shorthair rescue of so cal. They have about 15-20 dogs I think. All of the dogs are at their shelter in Beaumont. I have 2 from them and in total 5 over time. 9 4 9 3 0 0 3 6 2 7 is my Cel

My only concern with a GSP would be it jumping the back fence and bolting after something. Grew up with one at my Dads house. She was a great dog, but I don't recall her ever really trying to take off. What I'm reading about them now is they tend to be a bit froggy.. lol.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
My Dad has a beautiful female AKC German shepherd that he is talking about getting rid of. He is getting old and cant keep up anymore.

German Shepherds are definitely not out of list of possible candidates. How old is she, is she used to be around small kids, and I'm assuming she is good inside or outside? Any dog I own is always both, but I do not leave them inside when I'm not home. That's generally not a problem anymore with the wife staying home.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I had a roommate with an Australian Shepherd about 20 years ago, she was a horse trainer and good with animals. Her dog Dexter was nothing short of amazing, as she had put the work in with him. No leash needed ever, complete command control with him. Fast forward 20 years, I’d always wanted a badass Aussie and finally had the time to put into one. We got Hobie about 3 1/2 years ago, I put in the time to develope his behavior and he is an amazing dog, damn near human at times. He travels well and has been socialized well to get along with dogs, kids, cats, whatever, nothing get him riled except the UPS truck, does not matter where we are, he sees a UPS truck and he will bark, no bite behind it though LOL

We got him from a legit breeder in Mira Loma, he was not inexpensive but I wanted to start from scratch and build my best friend up to his fullest potential. The longer fur is not a problem, but I do get him groomed pretty often, a bath every two weeks and a little brushing will keep him good.

I walk him at least 3 miles a day, it’s been a good time to train him, we’re getting like 90% there off leash, still have some work to put in on that 100% recall and stop now commands.

at this point he’s by my side most of the time and ready to go anywhere and do anything. he’s 50lbs, and we have left him intact. Best dog ever, aussies are different.
7F916E8E-1F97-4B78-83B0-1A2333EC59C9.jpeg
0B5A010C-3A8C-46AA-BE18-9370CDC7124C.jpeg

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
JB in so cal has had great GSPs. We were fortunate to have known some of them. He and his wife know and love the breed. They would be a great source of info for the breed.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Well, that search was a bit shorter than I expected. We ended up bringing this guy home tonight. 9 week old White German Shepherd. Dad was about 80 lbs, mom, 60's. He's going to be a handful for a bit, but at least this way I own all his issues... lol The whole family will be on a training schedule. Going to try and make this into a well rounded water, camping, lounging pup.
Jack.jpg

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Well, that search was a bit shorter than I expected. We ended up bringing this guy home tonight. 9 week old White German Shepherd. Dad was about 80 lbs, mom, 60's. He's going to be a handful for a bit, but at least this way I own all his issues... lol The whole family will be on a training schedule. Going to try and make this into a well rounded water, camping, lounging pup. View attachment 870624
Nice! Congrats!

farmo83

Reaction score
You can my wife's dog. I'll even deliver the bitch!!!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Well, that search was a bit shorter than I expected. We ended up bringing this guy home tonight. 9 week old White German Shepherd. Dad was about 80 lbs, mom, 60's. He's going to be a handful for a bit, but at least this way I own all his issues... lol The whole family will be on a training schedule. Going to try and make this into a well rounded water, camping, lounging pup. View attachment 870624
Congrats! Looks like he will have some size. Paws dont look huge to me and probably will top out in the dads size at max.

hallettheck

Reaction score
Got one of ours from the Riverside County animal shelter or year ago couldn't be happier