WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

If you’re a Sopranos fan…

BabyRay

Reaction score
I hope
It’s better than that stupid move they put out with his kid
Way better than that. Wise Guys is a documentary, with clips from the original show, the stories behind them, and insight into the people involved. I often find documentaries to be boring, but this was far from boring.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
…you’ll want to watch “Wise Guy: David Chase and the Sopranos” on HBO/MAX. Now I know why we didn’t see Adriana die (admit it, you aren’t sure she did) and understand how they developed such great characters. It’s two episodes, and I hated to see it conclude.
Sil wacked her....... "You Cunt"

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
Drea is every bit as sexy in real life.
She loves musicians and was dating the bass player of Whitsnake at the time I met her. I was with some musician friends at Ultimate Jam Night when they used to have it at Lucky Strike, I couldn't stop glancing at her and I know she caught me a few times, she cursed like a sailor as well, I fell in love instantly...😏

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Something like the Sopranos comes around about every 8 -12 years. The next series was Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul. We’ll have to wait about another 8 years for another series of the caliber of the Sopranos. The only series that everybody talked about the next day before the Sopranos was Seinfeld, some may say The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson was the original water cooler talk program - it was always, Did you watch Johnny Carson last night…….?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Something like the Sopranos comes around about every 8 -12 years. The next series was Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul. We’ll have to wait about another 8 years for another series of the caliber of the Sopranos. The only series that everybody talked about the next day before the Sopranos was Seinfeld, some may say The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson was the original water cooler talk program - it was always, Did you watch Johnny Carson last night…….?
My favorite is easily The Wire.
Many don’t care for it, but IMO it’s every bit the caliber of Sopranos and BB, both of which I also loved.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Boardwalk Empire, and Deadwood were both up there.. Fucking sucks how deadwood just stopped though.. then they put out that movie which wasn't up to par with the show.

RD

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I found SoA unwatchable. Tried real hard to like Yellowstone but just did not care for it or any of the spin offs.
Peaky blinders? Don’t even get me started.
(I know, I know)

When it comes to movies after series, it’s real hard to top El Camino.
Absolutely killed it.
Jesse Plemons (Todd) is unmatched when it comes to playing psychopathic killers.
His role in the movie “Civil War” underscores just how good he is. (He’s the psycho military killer with the dump truck full of bodies)
Todd is the epitome of “they walk among us”.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The Wire is my favorite too. The actors in the show were incredible.

It’s a trip reading about the actual ex cons that the creators employed.
I’ve read the deacon was actually the “real” Avon Barksdale in real life, for instance.
Creators Ed Burns was a former Baltimore PD investigator, David Simon of course was the Sun editor for like 20 years or something like that.
They knew exactly what was going on and it really lends that edge of credibility to the show.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I found SoA unwatchable. Tried real hard to like Yellowstone but just did not care for it or any of the spin offs.
Peaky blinders? Don’t even get me started.
(I know, I know)

When it comes to movies after series, it’s real hard to top El Camino.
Absolutely killed it.
Jesse Plemons (Todd) is unmatched when it comes to playing psychopathic killers.
His role in the movie “Civil War” underscores just how good he is. (He’s the psycho military killer with the dump truck full of bodies)
Todd is the epitome of “they walk among us”.
It’s interesting to see what does or doesn’t entertain some folks.
I agree on SOA, hard to watch.
And I tried, I really did.
Yellowstone I like, and the 2 prequel were entertaining as well.

I really liked Breaking Bad, the writing, the acting, was awesome.
El Camino.... I was disappointed?
It was cool to see the aftermath of the B.B. story, but like the Sopranos movie, I felt it fell very short.

And Peaky Blinders.😂😂😂

I tried.
Just nope. It didn’t do it.

I’ll have to give the Wire a shot. Haven’t seen it, didn’t look at your clip, but have heard it’s worth the look.

Then there’s GOT vs the new House of the Dragon.
I’m trying with this new one😂😂

Tank

Reaction score
It’s interesting to see what does or doesn’t entertain some folks.
I agree on SOA, hard to watch.
And I tried, I really did.
Yellowstone I like, and the 2 prequel were entertaining as well.

I really liked Breaking Bad, the writing, the acting, was awesome.
El Camino.... I was disappointed?
It was cool to see the aftermath of the B.B. story, but like the Sopranos movie, I felt it fell very short.

And Peaky Blinders.😂😂😂

I tried.
Just nope. It didn’t do it.

I’ll have to give the Wire a shot. Haven’t seen it, didn’t look at your clip, but have heard it’s worth the look.

Then there’s GOT vs the new House of the Dragon.
I’m trying with this new one😂😂

Right there with you except I REALLY enjoyed peaky blinders. SOA couldn’t do it. I was even in the season one finally. lol

Loved GOT watched the first season of house of dragons can’t do the second. The show sucks. No one is likable. It’s like all these people fuckin suck. Can’t root for anyone.

I loved deadwood as well. Loved taboo with Tom hardy (sleeper one season show) First season of carnival row was good. I enjoyed the first season of the
Lord of the rings show but I think you need to be a fan and understand the “world” to watch it. Theres some others. Can’t think of them all. Lol

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Right there with you except I REALLY enjoyed peaky blinders. SOA couldn’t do it. I was even in the season one finally. lol

Loved GOT watched the first season of house of dragons can’t do the second. The show sucks. No one is likable. It’s like all these people fuckin suck. Can’t root for anyone.

I loved deadwood as well. Loved taboo with Tom hardy (sleeper one season show) First season of carnival row was good. I enjoyed the first season of the
Lord of the rings show but I think you need to be a fan and understand the “world” to watch it. Theres some others. Can’t think of them all. Lol
We haven’t done any of the Rings here.
We habmve talked about it 😂

Deadwood... what can one say?
Epic.
I’ve noticed I can’t watch it lately.
Not that I don’t like it.
I like it too much, but if I watch a few episodes I find my wife reprimanding me on my language in the days that follow😂
And she’s a potty mouth😳

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The difference between Sopranos, BB, the wire etc and other excellent shows like GoT is that the first group are based on real life type characters.
GoT, one of the greatest shows of all time, is a fantasy based series.
I really like Dexter as well, and binge it on occasion.
BUT…it too is not really reality based so much as a story.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I have never watched the Sopranos all the way through, but based on some of the comments I will try. As far as TV goes, here are my Top shows and doesn't include sitcoms. I mean I enjoy watching Friends, Simpsons, Seinfeld, Modern Family and others but these series are the standard.....IMO.

1.) Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul
2.) Entourage
3.) Sons Of Anarchy
4.) Yellowstone and all the spin offs. 1923 was so good.
5.) Ray Donovan
6.) Succession
7.) Ozark

Tank

Reaction score
I have never watched the Sopranos all the way through, but based on some of the comments I will try. As far as TV goes, here are my Top shows and doesn't include sitcoms. I mean I enjoy watching Friends, Simpsons, Seinfeld, Modern Family and others but these series are the standard.....IMO.

1.) Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul
2.) Entourage
3.) Sons Of Anarchy
4.) Yellowstone and all the spin offs. 1923 was so good.
5.) Ray Donovan
6.) Succession
7.) Ozark
Ozark and Entourage for sure! Fantastic shows! Yellowstone and the spin offs as well.

Watched the first few episodes of Ray Donavan when it first came out and couldn't get into it. But thinking of giving it another shot recently. I guess after I'm done with Sopranos.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Adrianna went to the Witness Protection with Big Puss and Jimmy

Andy B.

Reaction score
Ozark and Entourage for sure! Fantastic shows! Yellowstone and the spin offs as well.

Watched the first few episodes of Ray Donavan when it first came out and couldn't get into it. But thinking of giving it another shot recently. I guess after I'm done with Sopranos.
Give Ray Donavan another chance IMO it gets better.

Tank

Reaction score
Give Ray Donavan another chance IMO it gets better.

I actually said we should try it again to my wife last week. Think we will. She’s re watching killing eve right now. Another good show!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Game of Thrones was one of the best series of all time.. but again different than Soporanos deadwood boardwalk etc..

I agree with Tank the House of Dragons is tough.. I gave up on it.. then went back a second time and watched it but wasn't drawn in like GOT.

Entourage is awesome, but lets be honest.. It isn't some crazy journey you are going on.. It's young guys banging chicks and living a lifestyle most dream of.

RD

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I love these conversations, and its kind of like the Oscars, even bad ass movies and such are necessarily "the best", even if they are more enjoyable. there are technical elements to it. Peaky Blinders is probably my favorite show ever, but it doesn't compete with the top category in some ways.

Top Tier:
Breaking Bad
Sopranos
The Wire
Mad Men
Game of Thrones
Chernobyl
Deadwood

Second Tier:
Peaky Blinders
The Last Kingdom
Vikings
Banshee

Comedies:
MASH
Seinfeld
The Office
Arrested Development
The Wonder Years

Also Loved "good times":
Big Bang Theory
2 and a half men
Entourage

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Deadwood, sopranos, peaky blinders, got, Ozark.

Reacher has been very good. Season one was definitely better than two but both were good. First season of true detective was great 2nd ok couldn't finish the 3rd. Stranger things has been a fun 80s flashback. The first few seasons of fear the walking dead were good.

BabyRay

Reaction score
Game of Thrones was one of the best series of all time.. but again different than Soporanos deadwood boardwalk etc..

I agree with Tank the House of Dragons is tough.. I gave up on it.. then went back a second time and watched it but wasn't drawn in like GOT.

Entourage is awesome, but lets be honest.. It isn't some crazy journey you are going on.. It's young guys banging chicks and living a lifestyle most dream of.

RD
I feel the same about the first two. I En
I love these conversations, and its kind of like the Oscars, even bad ass movies and such are necessarily "the best", even if they are more enjoyable. there are technical elements to it. Peaky Blinders is probably my favorite show ever, but it doesn't compete with the top category in some ways.

Top Tier:
Breaking Bad
Sopranos
The Wire
Mad Men
Game of Thrones
Chernobyl
Deadwood

Second Tier:
Peaky Blinders
The Last Kingdom
Vikings
Banshee

Comedies:
MASH
Seinfeld
The Office
Arrested Development
The Wonder Years

Also Loved "good times":
Big Bang Theory
2 and a half men
Entourage
You missed Schitt’s Creek in your comedy section. 😉 Good list though.