WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I want more gun control.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
We need more gun control... it is just too easy for anyone to get thier hands on a Cualking gun. There needs to be back ground checks and use test before you can have one...

If you can't tell I just spent 12 hours scraping out atleast half a case( not an exaggeration)of cualking on mil work inside a house. :smackhead

I won't even get into what thier idea of smoothing walls was...

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
We need more gun control... it is just too easy for anyone to get thier hands on a Cualking gun. There needs to be back ground checks and use test before you can have one...

If you can't tell I just spent 12 hours scraping out atleast half a case( not an exaggeration)of cualking on mil work inside a house. :smackhead

I won't even get into what thier idea of smoothing walls was...

:fsakesstop your crying at least you have work:D:D:D

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I feel your pain.

Mike Holmes (Canadian television building guy who has a show where he fixes other contractors mistakes) has said that caulking is the single most difficult skill to find. On all of his jobs, he does the caulking himself, despite having a dozen employees.

I think he might be onto something because a woman I know is having her bathroom renovated and it is turning out quite nicely. Her contractor is a friend who looks to do good work but damn... his caulking skills are below zero. He trowels it on an inch wide and doesn't smooth it properly so it has lumps and crap in it that were there when it cured. It's brutal.

.... but she is happy with it so I say nothing.

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
I feel your pain.

Mike Holmes (Canadian television building guy who has a show where he fixes other contractors mistakes) has said that caulking is the single most difficult skill to find. On all of his jobs, he does the caulking himself, despite having a dozen employees.

I think he might be onto something because a woman I know is having her bathroom renovated and it is turning out quite nicely. Her contractor is a friend who looks to do good work but damn... his caulking skills are below zero. He trowels it on an inch wide and doesn't smooth it properly so it has lumps and crap in it that were there when it cured. It's brutal.

Where would you use inch wide caulking. :eek:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Where would you use inch wide caulking. :eek:

I don't know, but I found several places with over an inch. Let put it this way... I wanted to rip out all the sheet rock he put it as well as all the mill work.

Actually, cualking is one of the easest skills to learn.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I used to sell caulk and wrked for one of the large manufacturers (DAP) we actually had training in how to properly caulk. Its not that hard....but its amazing to see how many people screw it up.
________
Bdsm fetish

Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Must you always attack my quality of work over the Internet.

:D

socalmoney

Reaction score
I feel your pain.

His show Holmes on Homes is cool. We watch it all the time.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
This thread is on the verge of going gay...........:eek:

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
His show Holmes on Homes is cool. We watch it all the time.

I didn't know you folks got it down there.

I think he's a drama queen but I love the show. I make a point of going to the gym when the show's on:swear. That's not a big encumbrance since Home & Garden has it on practically around the clock and it's on other channels too.

There's nothing like cranking out an hour on the elliptical trainer while Mike goes on about someone being lucky their house didn't burn down because a pancake box in the ceiling wasn't grounded.

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
I used to suck caulk, we actually had training in how to properly suck caulk. Its not that hard....but its amazing to see how many people screw it up.

You're right it went gay pretty fast. :D

socalmoney

Reaction score
I didn't know you folks got it down there.

I think he's a drama queen but I love the show. I make a point of going to the gym when the show's on:swear. That's not a big encumbrance since Home & Garden has it on practically around the clock and it's on other channels too.

There's nothing like cranking out an hour on the elliptical trainer while Mike goes on about someone being lucky their house didn't burn down because a pancake box in the ceiling wasn't grounded.

We get him on HGTV down here and I always crack up at how pissed he gets at home builders and contractors. It is amazing to see the corners people cut to get the job done. I also like seeing how those houses are built in Canada. Much different than down here because of the weather.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
YB.. I got skillz... too bad you can't hire me. I already got a job :D

I bought one of those Eichler types houses (are you familiar?) with the tongue and grove ceiling. Well my buddy suggested that the paint on the ceiling would look better if I put caulking in each one of the groves on the ceiling:eek: (i.e. 1" x 6" x 8' board x 1450 sq feet, do the math :eek:)

After 3 days on a ladder it did look pretty good :D

Needless to say my caulking skills are pretty good at this point:D

I won't do that again.;)

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I always keep the caulking locked up on my jobs. It's amazing how much damage a $1.39 tube of caulk can do if in the wrong hands. I had a guy working for me for a while, great guy he is a very hard worker. I referred to him as 9 1/2 meaning that there were ten floors in his building but when you would least expect it he would get stuck on 9 1/2. He is never aloud on my jobs after the drywall is hung, made that mistake a few times. you just never know when he might grab a caulking gun and do thousands of dollars in damage while trying to help.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
I just hate it when one of those air bubbles pops out in the middle of laying down a clean bead.

stoker

Reaction score
Caulking and paint make a carpenter what he aint!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I always keep the caulking locked up on my jobs. It's amazing how much damage a $1.39 tube of caulk can do if in the wrong hands.

especially when some one uses non paintable caulk in a paintable application. :eek:

2Driver

Reaction score
Funny timing.

I am currently having the door guy extended all entrance way jam moldings to cover a shit caulk job from the original build. No way to get it off slump block after that many years

Chico&Zeus

35' Nordic Flame
Reaction score
Just wait till one of your guys gets ahold of one of these cordless ones...

9_1.jpg

WTRR

Not On The Boat
Reaction score

Maybe the guy lays pipe better than he caulks. :D :D