paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Trying to lighten the pontoon boat :rolleyes:

photo2-1.jpg

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have done that twice now with ours. I think in another 2 years or so will be doing it again. but this time going to convert it to a tri-toon and add much more seating compared to what we have now.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have done that twice now with ours. I think in another 2 years or so will be doing it again. but this time going to convert it to a tri-toon and add much more seating compared to what we have now.

At what point do you just buy a new boat?

RD

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Adding a third toon after already replacing the decking twice seems like a lot to do to a boat, but if it works LOL

For us, this is the first time (in 11 years) we have had to do anything interior related to this boat. We put a new 383 mag in last year, now new decking, seats and graphics so the boat is basically brand new for a little over a third of what a new one would cost...

Johnny_5

Reaction score
anymore pics? seems like a cool tech thread...

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Don't worry to much. I see you have some glue handy. Just put some stuff back and glue it down.

:D

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Don't worry to much. I see you have some glue handy. Just put some stuff back and glue it down.

:D
:D:D

Its actually a flexible caulk sealant. I put a bead between each "floor joist" and the plywood per playcraft recommendation... Then there's about 6 screws per joist with 4 joists per piece (16" centers) so I doubt its going to come up LOL

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Some people asked for a few more pics, here they are, and Saturday's project...

The first two pics are what I started with; 6 sheets of 4' x 8'6" x 3/4" marine grade pressure treated plywood.
P2040049.jpg

P2040050.jpg

This pic is after getting the first sheet laid in place
P2040052.jpg

I had to cut the pieces to go around the engine box in the back. You can see the black line I have laid out for myself for the piece that goes on the starboard side
P2040053.jpg

Next up is working on the sub box. After test fitting everything and playing it I removed the subs.
P2100055.jpg

P2100056.jpg

I realized when testing the box that I needed to add some bracing from front to rear on the box. Enter some 2x2 wood and a couple of screws...
P2100057.jpg

P2100058.jpg

P2100059.jpg

After vacuuming the box out I was ready to start covering it with vinyl. Its just plain white vinyl with foam on the back side for a little cushion action.
P2100060.jpg

Here you can see the finished product after getting it all wrapped and the subs reinstalled.
P2100061.jpg

Next up was the amp rack. I primed and painted the shelves white since wrapping them with vinyl would have been a major pain in the ass.
P2100054.jpg

I don't have many pics of the process here, but I cut a 4 1/2" hole on each one of the shelves for the 120MM fans. The fans are mounted on the inside of the rack and there is a stainless grill on the outside of each hole. There are also two holes in the back left corner of each shelf for the power wires to run down. The RCAs will run down the right side of the amp rack with the speaker wires when completed.
P2110062.jpg

There will two runs of 1/0 each for ground and power that goes into a distribution block and splits to the four 4 gauge power and ground wires for the amps
P2110063.jpg

Last edited:

bunkrepair

Reaction score
i am looking for a boat to do this with!

love to see this thing finished

what did the start look like? and what are you going for when finished?

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Just in case anyone comes back across this thread, Froggy shot me a message about both the plywood and the MDF box. He was saying that pressure treated wood was not good in a boat, so I looked back at the wood that I got, and it is not pressure treated. It is treated with arsenic... He was saying the holes for pressure treating are actually worse in a boat. Just an FYI for everyone... Here is the wood I got: http://www.restorepontoon.com/pontoon/pc/4-x-8-1-2-3-4-CCA-Treated-Marine-Grade-Plywood-17p2366.htm

Also, I know MDF can be torn up in a boat relatively quickly. The last box I had in this boat was MDF and lasted fine for a couple of years using the same process. If this one falls apart, you'll see a new build thread for the marine plywood version :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just in case anyone comes back across this thread, Froggy shot me a message about both the plywood and the MDF box. He was saying that pressure treated wood was not good in a boat, so I looked back at the wood that I got, and it is not pressure treated. It is treated with arsenic... He was saying the holes for pressure treating are actually worse in a boat. Just an FYI for everyone... Here is the wood I got: http://www.restorepontoon.com/pontoon/pc/4-x-8-1-2-3-4-CCA-Treated-Marine-Grade-Plywood-17p2366.htm

Also, I know MDF can be torn up in a boat relatively quickly. The last box I had in this boat was MDF and lasted fine for a couple of years using the same process. If this one falls apart, you'll see a new build thread for the marine plywood version :D

I'm curious with as much work is going into it, why not fiberglass it?

Things look like they are coming together very nicely!!

RD

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious with as much work is going into it, why not fiberglass it?

Things look like they are coming together very nicely!!

RD

At a minmum you should coat everyhting MDf with resin. Or the first time it gets wet all your work is trashed.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Got all the seats and rails mounted in the boat. I'm just starting to work on the wiring and other little details but its finally starting to look like a boat again!

I know some people won't like the graphics, but I think they turned out great!

Also, that isn't where the subs will sit permanently, and it obviously is a dirty mess, these are just a couple progress pics.

P2270080.jpg

P2270081.jpg

P2270082.jpg

P2270083.jpg

P2270084.jpg

P2270085.jpg

Last edited:

charlyox

Reaction score
Looking good. I can't believe it's the same boat. :thumbsup

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less