WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HubbaHubba Life Gets Back On Water....

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
So my good friends new boat has arrived in Newport and he asked if I can lend a hand early tomorrow to launch and pudder around the harbor getting to know the vessel. Its a 2000 Wellcraft 23' closed bow w/ 454 injection. It was only $11K and one of our great RD friends here brought it out on his way from TX. So here we go.... I thought I'd throw a fresh thread up to document this journey over the summer. My friends around 40, married to great gal and they have 3 & 5 yr old kids. He's a teacher so lotsa time to play in summers so bought this dirt cheap boat, had a guy look it over in Tx and out she comes. I just gifted him a year memebership at SeaTow and told him it really was for me as much as him and his family. I don't really know how much time I'll be on it this summer but what the hell, anything for being on the water and I really enjoy any time I get with him.
Plus it'll give me a chance to actually post some boat content for a change rather than just type my bullshit stories on here. So buckle up fellas.... pics to come and throw any of your bullshit my way.... I can take it... as long as its done with LOVE!

😍

I should add that he has ZERO salt experience and very little Colorado fresh experience so he's looking for some seat time training and how to operate around docks and cut swells, go to Catalina, etc....

Taboma

Reaction score
So my good friends new boat has arrived in Newport and he asked if I can lend a hand early tomorrow to launch and pudder around the harbor getting to know the vessel. Its a 2000 Wellcraft 23' closed bow w/ 454 injection. It was only $11K and one of our great RD friends here brought it out on his way from TX. So here we go.... I thought I'd throw a fresh thread up to document this journey over the summer. My friends around 40, married to great gal and they have 3 & 5 yr old kids. He's a teacher so lotsa time to play in summers so bought this dirt cheap boat, had a guy look it over in Tx and out she comes. I just gifted him a year memebership at SeaTow and told him it really was for me as much as him and his family. I don't really know how much time I'll be on it this summer but what the hell, anything for being on the water and I really enjoy any time I get with him.
Plus it'll give me a chance to actually post some boat content for a change rather than just type my bullshit stories on here. So buckle up fellas.... pics to come and throw any of your bullshit my way.... I can take it... as long as its done with LOVE!

😍

I should add that he has ZERO salt experience and very little Colorado fresh experience so he's looking for some seat time training and how to operate around docks and cut swells, go to Catalina, etc....
If it doesn't have one, put a good VHF radio in it, a compass and a GPS.
That boat should be fun and if I can run a 19' Rienell from San Diego to Avalon holding a compass between my legs, (Ok, got a bit off course, but after a slight correction knowing there weren't condos on the backside of Catalina 🤔-- we got there. 🤣).

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
If it doesn't have one, put a good VHF radio in it, a compass and a GPS.
That boat should be fun and if I can run a 19' Rienell from San Diego to Avalon holding a compass between my legs, (Ok, got a bit off course, but after a slight correction knowing there weren't condos on the backside of Catalina 🤔-- we got there. 🤣).
SD to Avalon whew... thats a haul man, pass. I kept all the communication hardware needed from last boat so giving him all the goodies or if I like the ride I'll just let him borrow them and I come with ha. ;)

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Pics from day 1 ..... up at 6am launched at 630 and fogged in but not detered. Spent 12 friggin hours on water.... exhausted..... Boat exceeded all expectations [he hadn't yet actually seen it in person]..... for $11K could be buy of century. This deep Vee seemed to ride better than my 29 Wizard at only 23'.... great freeboard.

Mikes Boat 5 Bill Pic at Dock 7.14.23.jpg

Mikes Boat 5 Bill Pic at Dock 7.14.23.jpg
Mikes Boat 3.jpg
Mikes Boat 4.jpg
Mikes Boat 2.jpg
Mikes Boat 1.jpg

Mikes Boat 3.jpg

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
…Really really nice👍…. If it’s on a trailer, I hope he gets in the habit of hosing the boat in the trailer down after using it….
Good point.... oh yeah if you've seen my posts from 2 years ago I went through rusted trailer hell when selling my last one. Its been all fresh in TX I heard so I'll have to look at trailer next time and see if its a tube or aluminum. He's got our launch service so I doubt he'll be douching trailer after they shove him into water, its a slide and go process. tying down at dock and taking trailer to wsh rack would never work... so it'll rust away like mine if its a standard tube. Oh well.... for $11K he's always ahead is my thinking.... unless some catastrophic engine thing occurs but at only 350 hours I think he's solid.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Pics from day 1 ..... up at 6am launched at 630 and fogged in but not detered. Spent 12 friggin hours on water.... exhausted..... Boat exceeded all expectations [he hadn't yet actually seen it in person]..... for $11K could be buy of century. This deep Vee seemed to ride better than my 29 Wizard at only 23'.... great freeboard.

View attachment 1252567
View attachment 1252567 View attachment 1252571 View attachment 1252568 View attachment 1252569 View attachment 1252570
View attachment 1252571

I have the miniature version of that boat🤣

Been redoing it for the last year(in my spare time) new engine is in. Interior in the next couple weeks and a steering cable and itll be ready to roll.

The cool thing about the WellCraft is all the provisions to flush the engine and drive are simple to use, screw the garden hose in and done!

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I'm always learning new factors regarding boats.... yesterday really showed something interesting regarding hull design. Simply put the 23' wellcraft ran SO much smoother than my last 29' Magic .... and they both come in around 4500lbs so that tells me its all about the VEE right? He got on it pretty good in slop and the ride didn't compare... crazy. You forfeit all the sexual appeal of a speedboat but ride quality in near shore is the gain on these less expensive ones. She was a mini crusher out there.
I'm sure the big boys like @Tank & @H20 vessels combine deeper V with additional weight which equals all benefits.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Been redoing it for the last year(in my spare time) new engine is in. Interior in the next couple weeks and a steering cable and itll be ready to roll.

The cool thing about the WellCraft is all the provisions to flush the engine and drive are simple to use, screw the garden hose in and done!
Hmmmmm.... I didn't notice that ability on his Excaliber.... any details to share that may help? I haven't walked around it yet to inspect. I did survey visually the interior and bilge/ engine really just as a cover my own stupid ass thing before jumping on ha.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Hmmmmm.... I didn't notice that ability on his Excaliber.... any details to share that may help? I haven't walked around it yet to inspect. I did survey visually the interior and bilge/ engine really just as a cover my own stupid ass thing before jumping on ha.

Mine has a hose rigged in to the bilge with a gate valve to flush the engine and pump. I would assume that is standard on the Wellcrafts🤷🏻‍♂️
20230715_122349.jpg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I've never seen a factory one hanging out on the floor before. They are generally mounted to the inside lip of the top fiberglass cap and use a 90 degree full flow ball valve if not just capped.

yours looks home made to me 🤷‍♂️

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
I've never seen a factory one hanging out on the floor before. They are generally mounted to the inside lip of the top fiberglass cap and use a 90 degree full flow ball valve if not just capped.

yours looks home made to me 🤷‍♂️

Definitely factory but I'm not going to argue

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Just like working on Vehicles, just when you start claiming to know everything, along comes something to dick-punch you into submission...😆

The older I get, the more I learn, the more I realize, I don't know shit! 🤣😉

That Wellcraft is an awesome heavy water boat, huge freeboard and great design, made to run on the Ocean!

Congrats to your friends!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Thought after getting familiar with this Wellctraft I'd ask both you and @Shlbyntro about your thoughts on the fuel gauge accuracy. I went through this with my Magic and my mechanic did some tweaking but he told me they are a flat "Belly" tank and frankly it'd be wise not to take it past 1/4 tank showing. In this area we mostly do 1k rpm harbor stuff and then go out in ocean for some 3-4K rpm max. I know from my Catalina runs early morning at say around 4-5K rpm the fuel consumption increases significantly. he's got a 454 injected. Opinions?

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Thought after getting familiar with this Wellctraft I'd ask both you and @Shlbyntro about your thoughts on the fuel gauge accuracy. I went through this with my Magic and my mechanic did some tweaking but he told me they are a flat "Belly" tank and frankly it'd be wise not to take it past 1/4 tank showing. In this area we mostly do 1k rpm harbor stuff and then go out in ocean for some 3-4K rpm max. I know from my Catalina runs early morning at say around 4-5K rpm the fuel consumption increases significantly. he's got a 454 injected. Opinions?

All depends on where the fuel pick up is in comparison to the sending unit.. and is the tank baffled or bladder bagged? Jmo

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
All depends on where the fuel pick up is in comparison to the sending unit.. and is the tank baffled or bladder bagged? Jmo
Thanks. Let me try it this way.... Do you feel comfortable running below 1/4 tank on gauge? mine would dive fast at that level but different boat.