WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How much to Re-gelcoat a boat???

rherr

Reaction score
Hey I've been looking for a new boat but I'm on a limited budget and I've found a few boats that need new gel coat. How much does it cost to have a boat re-gelcoated? (if thats a word)

78 Continental

Reaction score
Depends on how many colors and how extravagant of a gel coat you are looking for. Size of the boat is a factor too. Looking at probably $5,000+ but I could be wrong. Hopefully others will chime in here.

FrznJim

Reaction score
I was told 10k to regell a Schiada 21RC last fall by a reputable Ca fiberglass shop. That was to change all the colors, top deck, bottom, inside, and non-skid.

Flat Broke

Reaction score
Unless the boat is a quality make, and the hardware is a steal for the price you're going to pay for the entire boat, look for a different project.

As an example, for a couple G's more than the 10k quote to redo a 21rc (realistic quote for a properly done quality job) you could be into one of Danny's new hulls.

Chris

FrznJim

Reaction score
Flat Broke,

That's an excellent point, buy a blank hull. As this is under the Schiada thread, better double that number for the cost of a 21RC vs a 21DCM. I know as I talked to both and bought the 21RC bare hull. (Better half perferred the lines of the RC). The workmanship was impeccable on both hulls.

A consideration in buying a blank, is it going to be a v-drive or a jet/I/O? Compared to the former, a jet or i/o is fairly easy to rig. The cost of a bare hull is like 25% the cost of rigging/parts/anod/polish for a v-drive. The v-drive is a ton of labor, most of the parts will be one-off custom design. There isn't a whole lot of off the shelf parts for the v-drive rig.

rherr

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the input, thats about what I figured. I'm definatly in the market for a v-drive preferably a 20 or 21 RC Schiada. But I'm keeping my options open being that I don't have the cash to buy exactly what I want how I want it.....

LV R SCHIADA'S

Reaction score
The last numbers I recall hearing for a bare, and I do mean bare 21RC is around 35k, no ifs,ands , or butts !!!!, brand new Casale V-drive 10 degree will set you back around 3k, and on, and on, and on...........most 21's that have been completely re-geled are in the 8k-12k range, provided no additional work has to be done to the hull.

Dale21RT

Reaction score
Hey I've been looking for a new boat but I'm on a limited budget and I've found a few boats that need new gel coat. How much does it cost to have a boat re-gelcoated? (if thats a word)

Have you checked the classifieds here? Skia36 has a 22' TT v drive for sale I think he's damn neer giving it away! Just a thought.

rherr

Reaction score
Yeah it's a beautiful boat, even though it's a great deal, its a little out of my price range and I would like a 21'..... Thanks though

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Give Ken Meyers at B&K a call, attached are a couple of examples of what comes out of their shop. Bellflower Ca 562-925-7111

The wood decker was completly re-skinned
The Spectra was a complete re-do ground down to glass on more than 90% of the boat the pink is the before
The Howard was an out drive and you can not tell there was ever a hole in this transom or where the color matches were done on the stripes.
If you are familiar with Cracker Box racing, Mr Magoo was done and maintained by Ken.

Tell Ken or Mark that Cliff sent you over they may charge you more:D

Attachments

• DSCF1464.jpg
    DSCF1464.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 3,963
  • BF 74 Spectra Restored 1.jpg
    BF 74 Spectra Restored 1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 4,025
  • 74 Spectra before restoration 10-05.jpg
    74 Spectra before restoration 10-05.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 4,081
  • 100_0097.jpg
    100_0097.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 3,939
  • 100_0102.jpg
    100_0102.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 3,957

jstnoc

Reaction score
Here are a number of quality shops depending on the work you need done. All should be less than 10K you should pay around 5000-6000 for a re gel without the nonskid

Pats Fiberglass in Upland - Don
Orange County Boat repair in Stanton - Sal Jr.
Genisis Boats in Riverside - Eddie (Ithink is his name)
GT Performance - Gary (They have a full time gel coater on staff)

I have used both Pats Fiberglass and OC Boat repair and would use both again. Make sure anyone that does it gets a bare hull or else everything is a mess inside the boat. Here is my 21 before and after done by OC boat repair.

CIMG0027.JPG

CIMG0085.jpg

CIMG1104.jpg

CIMG1109.jpg

rherr

Reaction score
Cool thanks for all the responses, your boat came out great!! We'll see what happens.........