WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How are the Formula 382?

DaBank

Reaction score
What years do the bottoms,deck,windshield, etc change? How do the 1999/2000 run? I was looking at one that has twin 454's but obviously they where swapped out, the boat has blower scoops and has standoff boxes with Bravos.

Tank

Reaction score
What years do the bottoms,deck,windshield, etc change? How do the 1999/2000 run? I was looking at one that has twin 454's but obviously they where swapped out, the boat has blower scoops and has standoff boxes with Bravos.

Hey Frank, how’s things?

Buddy had an 01 or 02 382 with Whipple’s 525’s. Built it new from factory. It was really nice. Full cabin with sink and tv and fridge with what we called “baby seal leather”...like the softest leather I’ve ever felt in my life. Lots of creature comforts like adjustable foot rests and electric bolsters and LED lighting when LED Lightning wasn’t a thing. Think they started the Fas3tech (new step bottom) in 97ish and didn’t change it.
They were VERY competitive in the factory 2 class of offshore racing against cigarette and Fountain and hustler and others.

The 38 has a lot of freeboard and it’s freakin HUGE on the trailer! Handles big water well but is a bit of a “rigid” ride I always felt. Very predictable hull (as in it’s not gonna toss you or spin out in a hard turn).

they were a “custom production” boat meaning they pumped out a shit ton as floor models but if you built one through the factory via a dealer you could pick custom stuff but really, it was a production boat.

twin 500 hp power (built 454’s?) will push it to 72ish I’m guessing. Stock 454’s upper 60’s.

A lot of boat for the money from the prices I’ve seen them sell for lately.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I've worked on and driven one amongst other fastechs. The general commonality is that theyre well built but heavy boats in comparison so they wont be the fastest but they ride real nice. Also I haven't come across it myself yet but if it has the "Silent Thunder" exhaust, they have a predisposition for catching on fire if you overheat an engine.

572ext

Reaction score
Does that boat have a lot of red on it like the main color large band of red ?

DaBank

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20191118_183856.jpg
    20191118_183856.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 326
  • 20191118_183917.jpg
    20191118_183917.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 20191118_183935.jpg
    20191118_183935.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 270

DaBank

Reaction score
Hey Frank, how’s things?

Buddy had an 01 or 02 382 with Whipple’s 525’s. Built it new from factory. It was really nice. Full cabin with sink and tv and fridge with what we called “baby seal leather”...like the softest leather I’ve ever felt in my life. Lots of creature comforts like adjustable foot rests and electric bolsters and LED lighting when LED Lightning wasn’t a thing. Think they started the Fas3tech (new step bottom) in 97ish and didn’t change it.
They were VERY competitive in the factory 2 class of offshore racing against cigarette and Fountain and hustler and others.

The 38 has a lot of freeboard and it’s freakin HUGE on the trailer! Handles big water well but is a bit of a “rigid” ride I always felt. Very predictable hull (as in it’s not gonna toss you or spin out in a hard turn).

they were a “custom production” boat meaning they pumped out a shit ton as floor models but if you built one through the factory via a dealer you could pick custom stuff but really, it was a production boat.

twin 500 hp power (built 454’s?) will push it to 72ish I’m guessing. Stock 454’s upper 60’s.

A lot of boat for the money from the prices I’ve seen them sell for lately.
I been good, how is the wife and kids ?
I was actually going to text you and ask about if you knew the boat. I kind of remember it running around Havasu and a few Desert Storms I think the guy that owned it name was Cliff or Carlos?

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Check the bond between the deck and hull and malke sure it's intact all the way around. There were several 382s where the plexus adhesive used to bond the hull and deck wasn't applied correctly and ended up with voids. It is fixable but can get pricey as it requires a lot of labor. Other than that item to check, I think they are pretty solid.

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
Boat was sold around 10 years ago. It was a beast, wave crusher and drive killer with 540 Bulldogs maintained by Gordy at Pfaff and Absolute Marine. Sat on an Eagle trailer.
Fastest we saw was 99mph.... empty as can be.

Was run mainly in Havasu, with several Catalina and Scope runs as well. Where is it listed?? Sucks to see it with 454's

Only pictures i could find.
Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_2052.jpg
Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_1222.jpg

DaBank

Reaction score
Boat was sold around 10 years ago. It was a beast, wave crusher and drive killer with 540 Bulldogs maintained by Gordy at Pfaff and Absolute Marine. Sat on an Eagle trailer.
Fastest we saw was 99mph.... empty as can be.

Was run mainly in Havasu, with several Catalina and Scope runs as well. Where is it listed?? Sucks to see it with 454's

Only pictures i could find.
View attachment 817971 View attachment 817972
How long did you own it? It is a repo so I figured someone swapped the motor's. Obviously it has no trailer and no props neither.
It looks to be in decent shape but at this point I have to assume the engines are probably worn and the drives could be bad. Do those look like your old one's.....if so what did you have done to them? Thanks

DaBank

Reaction score
Some more pictures.

Attachments

• 20191119_054247.jpg
    20191119_054247.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 20191119_054115.jpg
    20191119_054115.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 20191119_054220.jpg
    20191119_054220.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 181
  • 20191119_054528.jpg
    20191119_054528.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 231

Tank

Reaction score
I been good, how is the wife and kids ?
I was actually going to text you and ask about if you knew the boat. I kind of remember it running around Havasu and a few Desert Storms I think the guy that owned it name was Cliff or Carlos?
All good here brotha. Just raising kids #thatbeachlife LOL. Let me know when you guys are feeling up for a visit and we'll make it happen.

Regarding the boat.

You need to be into that thing for well under 30k. Those motors are circa 97 at the latest so they'll need to be rebuilt. And it's under powered with 454's. If you can get a deal and hopefully they're in good enough shape to just go through and beef up a bit 10k a motor. But lets be honest, it's gonna be at least 15k a motor. You'll need a trailer, used 6500 to new 12k. It most likely needs a bunch of little nick nacks which start to add up quick (props a grand, who knows what shape the drives are in, interior looks to have some mold / neglect issues). I know you like your shit tight so I don't see you cutting corners or half assing things. So on the VERY optimistically cheap end of things I see you'll need to put 30k into it (again, at least 30). Turn key models are 65-80, same vintage sooooooooo. If you can get it for a smokin deal and ready to put in some work (I.E. $$$) then I'd say go for it. If not, pass.

DaBank

Reaction score
I been super busy this year!! I am hoping the beginning of next year going on a motorhome trip for a few months so I will let you know if we are passing by you.

As for the boat it would need to be cheap. I figured $10k for a new trailer day one.
The motors I figure that are anchor's and the drive not sure if they are the originals one on the boat or if they where swapped with the motor's. It has some gel touch up's that are needed and probably deserves new upholstery, so it would be a big project. Even if the 454s and drives where ok it would not be a very desirable boat even cleaned up with new upholstery and a trailer, whoever that would want to buy it would be looking to repower it $$$.

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
How long did you own it? It is a repo so I figured someone swapped the motor's. Obviously it has no trailer and no props neither.
It looks to be in decent shape but at this point I have to assume the engines are probably worn and the drives could be bad. Do those look like your old one's.....if so what did you have done to them? Thanks

Boat belonged to my cousin (Carlos), he owned it for several years, back in 06-09ish. Boat was sold, it stayed locally at the Islander.

Boat looks like it needs a thorough cleaning, interior and head liner look good.
Before he sold it, drives (XR's) were serviced and engines (540's were gone over). Boat HAD Imco Gatlins. Drives don't look the same (has old Merc stickers and they might be basic Bravos).

As Tank, noted, you are going to need to some good power to make it go, it's a heavy boat. Double/triple check those drives, it's been over 10+ years since we've seen it.
Some used 525s will work, its a good cruiser at 45mph... won't spill your drink to Catalina.

I will try to look for more pictures, which are stored on a CD somewhere. It was a brochure boat back in 99, if i got it ill share it.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

last1

Reaction score
I had a 94 382 non step. It rode good and handled big water but it was heavy The fast tech step bottom came out in 97 faster better riding boat. My cousin bought a used 2017 about 8 months ago only had 10 hours on it. has Merc 700s and six drives we rode in it in June at the Texas Outlaw challenge real nice did everything is supposed to and it'll run a hundred.

DaBank

Reaction score
I checked the serial numbers on the motor's and they come back as 1988 to 1992 454's. So I would imagine the drives are that old also. I only had pictures of the motor's serial numbers and not the drives. The stand off boxes I would guess are original to the boat?

At this point I have to look at the boat as if it had not motors or drives, these are to old and obviously where just swapped to dump the boat.
What could 2 old 454's and 2 old Bravos be worth to sale?

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
I checked the serial numbers on the motor's and they come back as 1988 to 1992 454's. So I would imagine the drives are that old also. I only had pictures of the motor's serial numbers and not the drives. The stand off boxes I would guess are original to the boat?
So basically buying a boat with no drives or motors and in need of new interior. Eash. :eek:

DaBank

Reaction score
So basically buying a boat with no drives or motors and in need of new interior. Eash. :eek:
The interior is not that bad at all. But if I was to do the repower I would want to update the upholstery but most people would not.

Tank

Reaction score
The interior is not that bad at all. But if I was to do the repower I would want to update the upholstery but most people would not.
LOL.....As I thought would be the case. ;):D

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Teague has a couple of nice 800s sitting in the shop that would work good in that boat :cool:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

At this point I have to look at the boat as if it had not motors or drives, these are to old and obviously where just swapped to dump the boat.
What could 2 old 454's and 2 old Bravos be worth to sale?

Are they big port or oval port heads?? I might be willing to take them off your hands if they're the big rectangular port heads. The engines would be worth a couple grand to me if they're the rectangular ports and pass a leakdown as they are my Formula's vintage, and I need one and could use a spare