https://thehookcups.com.

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 1.33.12 PM.png

A lot of coin for the Hookcups. $499/pair....... but I can see their usefulness

Dock Stix

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 1.34.37 PM.png

You can DIY these very cheap

Meaney77

Reaction score
Back in the day like 98-99 I purchased my 1st brand new boat, it was an Ultra. Back then their was a company making the suction cup devices, its was a great idea but I could never get them to work. If you were floating down the river and had these out and attached to 2 boats they always seemed to separate and come apart if a wave/wake came up. They weren't cheap back then either. I ended up loosing one and it fell to the bottom of the river and we couldn't find it. Not bagging on the Hookcups - maybe they have it figured out. Back in the day they were a pain in the ass and more hassle than they were worth

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Back in the day like 98-99 I purchased my 1st brand new boat, it was an Ultra. Back then their was a company making the suction cup devices, its was a great idea but I could never get them to work. If you were floating down the river and had these out and attached to 2 boats they always seemed to separate and come apart if a wave/wake came up. They weren't cheap back then either. I ended up loosing one and it fell to the bottom of the river and we couldn't find it. Not bagging on the Hookcups - maybe they have it figured out. Back in the day they were a pain in the ass and more hassle than they were worth
Gee…. Let’s make a device to use over water… and to make even more money… if they fall in… SINK BABY SINK…. They will buy more…

I wouldn’t invest a dime, unless they float. Either way they have to have at least one end have a secure tether. IMO

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
Had some back in the day, like Meaney77, late 90's. They were fine in a wakeless situation, but first time a wake came thru the boats separated. I added a tether to mine so I didn't lose them. Not really sure where they ended up, but we only used them a few times before going back to traditional bumpers/fenders.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Good point. didn't think about sinking... I guess you could attach a lanyard of some sort

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Gee…. Let’s make a device to use over water… and to make even more money… if they fall in… SINK BABY SINK…. They will buy more…

I wouldn’t invest a dime, unless they float. Either way they have to have at least one end have a secure tether. IMO
Also, pretty sure the surface is supposed to be dry. I could totally see dropping one while trying to get to stick. Then you recover it but its wet and now won’t stick- and for that reason I am out.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Seems to me that without forward and reverse spring lines, along with bow and stern breast lines, that it would be hard to keep the boats from moving forward or reverse, making the suction cups useless.

Fenders are just easier…….

Reactions: DWC

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You can check-out Hookcups in person April 8-9-10 at the Lake Havasu Boat Show -- they have an exhibitor booth.

Deckin Around

Reaction score

Put a piece of 3/4" pvc with a pool noodle over a rope tied between the handles. Boom I just saved you $450+. We use these to move acrylic bathtubs into place among other things. They work 100%, 90% of the time.🙂 $8.99 good ol Harbor Freight tools

4-2/3 in. Dual Suction Cup Lifter- 125 lb.

LAGUNA​

4-2/3 In., 125 Lb. Dual Suction Cup Lifter​

(156)Write a Review
Dual cups provide more lift and better leverage for larger materials
$8.99

Attachments

• suction cups.jpg
    suction cups.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

LazyLavey

Reaction score

Put a piece of 3/4" pvc with a pool noodle over a rope tied between the handles. Boom I just saved you $450+. We use these to move acrylic bathtubs into place among other things. They work 100%, 90% of the time.🙂 $8.99 good ol Harbor Freight tools

LAGUNA​

4-2/3 In., 125 Lb. Dual Suction Cup Lifter​

(156)Write a Review
Dual cups provide more lift and better leverage for larger materials
$8.99
You could be an honorary member of "Boyz On A Budget"

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I think batman uses something like this to climb the side of a glass building.

Mike K

Reaction score
$500 ?
When I see things that I believe are sooo overpriced … it makes me wonder how someone or what group of people all sat down and had the price discussion and came up with that number.
I think I’m a normal guy … the most I’d ever pay for something like that would be max around $100.
So the owner would come back and say it costs me so and so to make , market and distribute… then I’d say … well … good luck then. So after a year or so … you never see them again and they are out of business. Why wouldn’t you sell them with a marginal mark up and see how things re going … maybe get a few hundred out there so people can see them … then reevaluate.
It’s kinda like when someone tried to make an outdoor restaurant at an abandoned gas station at the top of McCulloch Dr. you drive by and you think … oh those poor people are putting their life savings into that and you know it’s not going to happen … then you drive by a year later … gone. I don’t get it 🤔

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
Are they really $500? Can buy some nice bumpers and custom rope a few times over for that

WildWilly

Reaction score
I bought a set a couple years ago when they first got started, friend of a friend kind of deal trying to help them out. I paid no where near $500. I can't speak to how they work because I've honestly never used them. 2 friends sold their boats and its just worked out that the last 2 years I've not been anywhere to try them out.

that said...I'd proably sell them if someone is really interested.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
RD posted about them a few years back and the concensus seemed to fit across the board.
Calm water usage=ok/good. Havasu style raft-ups=too rough to function properly.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I am more of line and buoy boater.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Every four years or so someone else tries this l.. I have personally thrown away at least three different ones over the last 20 years.

None of these designs work even remotely well in anything other than smooth water.

Bajastu

Reaction score
I built a set for $78 and only used them a couple of times. You need perfect conditions (smooth water) and two similar boats to make them work.

The cups and pads are available on Amazon and the aluminum tube was cheap at my local metal supply house. Less than 1/2 hour of tig welding and they were complete. I’d never pay for something you can build yourself. But then again, not everyone has a full weld shop at home.
FDC5CF66-98D2-4BE9-AB4D-26D9A6D80136.jpeg
F2DAD0CE-7B93-4562-A61F-497C9C6C4C43.jpeg

Last edited:

Bajastu

Reaction score
I was going to re-engineer them to add a little horizontal articulation (10-15*) but I lost interest. A good bouy and a rope is faster and cheaper.

Roosky01

Reaction score
$500 bucks tells me there is nothing proprietary about the design and they dont work for shit so they are trying slick marketing to suck as much money in before it bombs.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I was going to re-engineer them to add a little horizontal articulation (10-15*) but I lost interest. A good bouy and a rope is faster and cheaper.

What happens when they hit the end of the 15?

Bajastu

Reaction score
What happens when they hit the end of the 15?
The original design has no horizontal articulation. This won’t allow for dissimilar boats to be tethered. If there was a small amount of articulation, you could tether two different boats together. Once it hits the limit of 10-15*, the movement between the boats stop and avoid a collision. But the real limit to the design is the suction cups. If you are in a cove and a passing by boat causes any type of wake, the suction cup could release and then you have a gel coat disaster between the two boats.

A+ for effort but this will never take the place of a buoy and rope. What I’d like to see is a long single sided weighted bouy that always rights it self vertical. That way you would never have the possibility of a bouy slip out of position. There’s a million dollar idea for someone.