WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

grand cherokee/ ford xplorer/durango which one

MOUZER

Reaction score
new 2022 wife wants a new suv those r her 3 picks v6 auto tow package

which one should we stay away from....anybody wanna toss out there 2 cents......
CC22_WKJP74_2TG_PW7_APA_XXX_XXX_XXX.68e010b108289a849d6e0b4508cb0c99.png
2022-Ford-Explorer-Exterior-1024x565.png
th

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I had an explorer rental last week and hated it. It’s got the knob on the consul to shift it. When you put it in reverse it doesn’t roll. It activates a brake and you have to give it gas to move and then it lunges. Same deal at stop lights, you can take your foot off the gas and it won’t roll forward because a brake activates, then you hit the gas and it lunges forward pretty hard. I can’t imagine trying to hook it up to a trailer. Power was really choppy and not linear if that makes sense.

attitude

Reaction score
The new Grand Cherokees are really nice, assuming that’s what you would be looking at and not the older one you posted.

The Durangos are due for a refresh, but the updates they have received are still nice. Solid cars.

Explores have tons of transmissions issues across both drivetrain options but the STs do haul ass.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Wife is on her 2nd explorer and its time for a change. Not a bad car, but her 17' Platinum is having issue pop up here and there.. Good thing is having the extended warranty

Sharky

Reaction score
Toyota Rav4. Toyota 4 Runner, Toyota Segouia, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Cross.

Quit dicking around with anything with a Jeep/Chrysler/Ford emblem.

Get something that is going to hold its value and work for many, many years.

Yea. . . . you are going to pay more up front. You will get every penny back when you sell it. And, it won't be in the shop twice a year. Waiting for parts they can't get.

Just don't buy a Chrysler/Jeep/Lego/Tampax, Who owns them now , POS.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Wife last year picked up a Durango 5.7 with the Tow and Go package. The package has all the SRT Durangos suspension/Big red Brembo brakes/Exhaust/AWD system but with a standard 5.7 Hemi. Tows 8700lb. Thing is badass. ~$10k off MSRP on a new order from Mark Dodge.
MY23Durango_PKG_Desktop_towngo1.jpg.image.1000.jpg

poncho

Reaction score
I had an explorer rental last week and hated it. It’s got the knob on the consul to shift it. When you put it in reverse it doesn’t roll. It activates a brake and you have to give it gas to move and then it lunges. Same deal at stop lights, you can take your foot off the gas and it won’t roll forward because a brake activates, then you hit the gas and it lunges forward pretty hard. I can’t imagine trying to hook it up to a trailer. Power was really choppy and not linear if that makes sense.
Same here, hated that car.

Havasujaws

Reaction score
Don’t scoff, but have a look at the Kia Telluride… they’re awesome cars.
I agree. Wife has one with all the upgrades. No problems in two years. Way more passenger room in 2nd and 3rd row seats, price lower than all of the competition. Drive an exploder at work and it doesn't even come close in comfort.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Wife last year picked up a Durango 5.7 with the Tow and Go package. The package has all the SRT Durangos suspension/Big red Brembo brakes/Exhaust/AWD system but with a standard 5.7 Hemi. Tows 8700lb. Thing is badass. ~$10k off MSRP on a new order from Mark Dodge.
MY23Durango_PKG_Desktop_towngo1.jpg.image.1000.jpg
If you don't mind what did that cost ? You can PM me if you want . Sounds cool .

Flatsix66

Reaction score
In 2022, she ordered it fully optioned, if I remember right it was $56k.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I have had two Grand Cherokees. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. However, I'm not sold on the new body style.

I could fit an 8' banquet table in it (along with folding chairs and a Nesco roaster). Nearly 600 miles on a tank of fuel was a plus, also.

If you get one, get the full moon roof. My first one had it, the second did not, and I really missed it.

edit: The 6 cyl got 600 miles per tank. The previous Hemi did not.

Last edited:

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Have a '21 grand cherokee. Love it. Almost 25 mpg driving to havasu. Seats laid down with plenty of room for the dogs and our stuff. Launches a 5000 lb boat no problem.

MOUZER

Reaction score
Have a '21 grand cherokee. Love it. Almost 25 mpg driving to havasu. Seats laid down with plenty of room for the dogs and our stuff. Launches a 5000 lb boat no problem.
wifes first choice

gqchris

Reaction score
You have to diable all the nannies, such as Auto Start, Hill Assist, Lane Guidance etc.

Its a pain in ass but it fixes all that crap.

Morehart

Reaction score
Wife has a hemi jeep grand Cherokee overland. It's really nice and has been problem free at 60k miles now. It hauls the mail too compared to a Tahoe or other large suvs. The interior is not matched by any of the competitors.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Realistically, I’d get the best warranty, and pick the closest dealer to your house or work, and have them throw in 48000 miles of synthetic oil changes.

Kenboat

Reaction score
I would buy the 2 row Jeep. Currently driving Explorer with 2.3 eco boost with 105K miles zero issues so far. The Jeep is more of a truck ride and the Explorer better on the highway.
Dodge is very close to Jeep with more room, closer to Ford ride and not as off road capable as the Jeep.
We installed the body shop for the Explorer, and the Jeep. The dodge was installed by another American company.
I refuse to buy a car not built in the USA, really hate to buy Jeep with the foreign ownership.

My company buys lots of Ford's, GM, and some Jeep products. We drive the shit out of them and we have some issues but it does not seem excessive.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
How much you want to tow? That may narrow things down bit. Of the mid size, dodge and Audi Q7 have more capacity then the others. A lot cap at 5k. Both above are 3 row and tow more than that

27Daytona

Reaction score
I bought the .Mrs a Grand Cherokee 7 years ago and it’s been flawless. Has just under 100K miles now. I’ll buy another whenever this one dies.

I’d recommend getting 4WD. We use her Jeep all the time to launch & retrieve the boat and it pulls the boat out without effort. If it was 2WD I doubt it would be doable.

rush1

Reaction score
My daughter just bought a new Toyota highlander what a piece of plastic junk rides like ass too.

hman442

Reaction score
They are all great, but all have their own issues. I think the Jeeps look good, interior is over the top on the upper level models. The Explorers are damn nice inside as well, and all that parking brake "auto piss you off" stuff is able to be programmed out. I'm a bit dismayed with Chrysler engines. I don't see the new ones in my shop, so I'm referencing the 2019 and older. Last month, had 3 different 3.6 engines in, two in Jeeps, one in a Dodge Van. All 3 had misfire #4 codes. One needed a coil, one needed a rocker arm (needle bearings go away, then rocker isn't opening valve enough), one needed a cam and rockers. Have had several others that needed a #4 injector. Then, after you fix the miss with the injectors, it'll come back in after a few weeks with a code about cylinder contribution imbalance (the new injector is flowing slightly different than the old ones). Out of the three above, two of them also needed the plastic oil coolers replaced that were leaking. They are conveniently located beneath the intake manifold. The rocker arm issue has been going for years, doesn't seem like they have attempted to fix it, same with the oil coolers (which are on dealer back order forever), we've been getting updated aluminum ones from Amazon/China? They seem okay, and better than telling your customer to park for 4 months waiting for a new plastic one from the dealer? We had a 5.7 Hemi turn a lifter and eat the cam (exact same setup as the G.M. AFM system that we all cuss).... but, I've only seen the one. Nothing feels better than that hemi during acceleration though. We don't see the wacky engine stuff with the Fords, till they get well over 100k and need timing chains. The v6 turbos develop exhaust/oil/coolant leaks at the turbos, but that's not a huge cost relatively speaking (in the teens).
The new stuff has so much tech, that there are going to be issues, electronic and mechanical. The government tells the auto makers they have to have this much mileage, but can only put out this much emissions, so the car makers do their best. Then of course, today's buyer reads the reviews, and passes up one brand for another, as the one brand has only 8 way adjustable seats, compared to the 10 way in the second brand... oh, and let's program it so the seat moves back and forth every single time you get in it...... that'll never wear out...:)
I guess where I'm going with this is, each brand is a bit of a gamble, one never has an issue, the next one off the line has constant issues, so, pick the one you (she) likes the look of, pick the one that you fit in, that you like the way it drives, and go with it. Also, as mentioned above, pick the one that has a good dealer near you, not 2 hours away.
And I agree those new Kias look great!

srttruck

Reaction score
We have 1 of the summit grand cherokees, great car with 98k problem free miles on it. (Knocking on wood). Usually swap cars before the waranty expires, decided to keep this one. All maintenance done according to manual, been a great car for us.

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
If you find a dealer that deals, let me know? All the ones I’ve called are 5k over MSRP, and that’s that..
Daughter went on the hunt for one a few weeks back. Dealers were marking up as much as $7k on them. She ended up ordering one through KIA of Temecula. Wait time is a few months, we will see how long the actual wait time ends up being.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
We have an ‘18 V6 Durango GT. It’s nice no problems with it. I don’t like the front seats. They are really narrow. Feels like my ass is falling over the side and I’m 5’10 185lb. If you are bigger than that you will hate it.

I would go explorer or 4Runner

golakers

Reaction score
Grand Cherokee!! I had one few years ago. It was a great car!!!

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I love my grand Cherokee. The missing third row is sometimes something I wish I had. But rarely.

CommanderLee

Reaction score
Not sure what you need to tow with it but last year the wife got a GV70 and we love it. Used it to launch the boat a couple of weeks ago and it did great, 20 foot jet boat. We got 25+ MPG to the river and back.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I bought the .Mrs a Grand Cherokee 7 years ago and it’s been flawless. Has just under 100K miles now. I’ll buy another whenever this one dies.

I’d recommend getting 4WD. We use her Jeep all the time to launch & retrieve the boat and it pulls the boat out without effort. If it was 2WD I doubt it would be doable.
Im intrested in hearing more on this. Unfortunately mine is 2wd high altitude.The one trade off for other things. I debated heavily. But I have my lifted 4x4 truck we take most of the time. But I have considered trying if we ever take it to the river. I rarely need 4wd at jack Smith in my truck and I feel there is more weight on the rear wheels in the jeep for traction.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I would never tow any boat over 23' across the desert with the Grand Cherokee. We just go about 2 miles from our Havasu House to the launch ramp. The V6 is only rated to tow 6200#.
My storage unit is a mile from the ramp. It's only 21 feet and I agree. I wouldn't tow it out there with it. But to launch a mile away seems it would be fine.