WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

GM mechanics

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
OK my 2000 Pontiac GTP grand prix 3800 supercharged
won't run
wife parks in the garage last night no problems
now this morning it wont run like its out of gas (no its not)
it starts hard sputters and dies

if it was an old school car I would think fuel filter

Ratso

Reaction score
It may be out of gas...:D
Seriously though, we had some bad sending units and the car was out of gas actually. My tech said that would be hard to diagnose without seeing it... Probably gonna have to get it towed to a shop.

69 1/2

Reaction score
The 3800 engines used to and may still have a mass airflow sensor located after the air filter and before the intake manifold. Frequently on no starts you could rap on this sensor with the handle of a screwdriver and it would start. The sensor would very soon need replaced. Just a thought.

Big Kahunaa

Reaction score
06_ENGB_RPOE_3800_02.jpg

on the fuel line that runs over the supper charger next to the plug wires ther is a cap take that off cycle the key off on 3 or 4 times get a small screw driver push in on the shrader vavle becarefull if the fule pump is ok gas will shoot prety far

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
I just had to trailer the wifes 2000 tahoe back to the ranch yesterday. Same symptoms, this one turned out to be a " DTC" switch, something to do with fuel delivery system. Last week I had to take the POS to the frikin dealer to replace a ABS sending unit, the part itself was $900 plus $400 labor to R&R.:swear:swear And some people wonder why the jap's are kickin ass on American car mfr's :hmm 70,000 miles and it's ready for the boneyard.:rolleyes:

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
F it the tow truck is on its way
I cant work on it myself cus of my back surgery
and I don't have time we need the dam thing to run

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
thanks for the replies
any one have suggestions on a good scan tool for any future problems i my have

Big Kahunaa

Reaction score
i have a snap on modis the only problem with it it was 7g's let us know what the shop finds

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
the shitty thing is my kid is a Dodge mechanic
but his shop has nothing to do with GM stuff

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
i have a snap on modis the only problem with it it was 7g's let us know what the shop finds

I think thats the one my son want but thats a chunk of money but its top of his list for tools

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
thanks for the replies
any one have suggestions on a good scan tool for any future problems i my have
Fuck the scan tool :mad: My guy's "scan tool " said the problem was a DTC valve/switch whatever. Got the new, $80 DTC gizmo put in this morning, the " scan tool " now reads everything is working proparly, but just one problem.........................the fuking thing still wont run :swear:confused: Now he thinks I need a $420 fuel pump W T F ?? $420 for a GD fuel pump ? This is the LAST American made vehicle I'll EVER own

Big Kahunaa

Reaction score
Fuck the scan tool :mad: My guy's "scan tool " said the problem was a DTC valve/switch whatever. Got the new, $80 DTC gizmo put in this morning, the " scan tool " now reads everything is working proparly, but just one problem.........................the fuking thing still wont run :swear:confused: Now he thinks I need a $420 fuel pump W T F ?? $420 for a GD fuel pump ? This is the LAST American made vehicle I'll EVER own

buy toyota parts

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
OK so they say its the mas air sensor and they wont be able to replace it
tell Monday

they say it was completely bad ??? made it run way rich
going to replace the plugs also

I'm hoping thats it but I'm not holding my breath

any coments??

D

Deleted Account

See any mileage change? It had to be running way rich. No smoke?

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
OK so they say its the mas air sensor and they wont be able to replace it
tell Monday

they say it was completely bad ??? made it run way rich
going to replace the plugs also

I'm hoping thats it but I'm not holding my breath

any comments??

We have an 02 Tahoe with the 5.3. I purchased it from a good friend of mine back 2 years ago with only 23K miles.

Had it no less than 2 months and Check Engine Light. Running like crap, hard start. Great. I take it to the dealer and it's a MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow) and that was $960 or so installed.

Cause...aparently an over oiled K&N filter fouled the sensor beyond a cleaning. Total BS. My buddy is big into K&N Filters. I knew it had one when we bought it.

I threw the K&N in the trash. Fockin late model cars and the jack ass dealers they ride in on. :mad:

I told them to give me the old one. Did they save it. Every excuse why not.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I see a phone call in your future explaining that for some reason you need a fuel pressure regulator, or a supercharger gasket.

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
I see a phone call in your future explaining that for some reason you need a fuel pressure regulator, or a supercharger gasket.

I told them I wont pay for any work that did not fix the problem
so if the replace the mas air sensor and it don't fix it they can scratch that charge off the list

BajaMike

Reaction score
its always either no fuel or no fire.........

did you find out what was wrong??

BajaMike

Reaction score
they say its the mas air sensor but they haven't replaced it yet so time will tell

All the new electronics and ignition modules are a bitch to diagnos...but the dealer should be able to do it. He just has to keep replacing shit!

Good luck!

:beer

69 1/2

Reaction score
The 3800 engines used to and may still have a mass airflow sensor located after the air filter and before the intake manifold. Frequently on no starts you could rap on this sensor with the handle of a screwdriver and it would start. The sensor would very soon need replaced. Just a thought.

Yep, just blow air through it and tap on it. It should run fine till you can find a used one. It is a 5 minute job to replace it.

G-Body

Reaction score
Actually if you read consumer reports and some of the other reports, American cars are having less problems than the new imports. Toyota quality really declined recently.

Anyway on the MAF sensor. It is possible to go bad. You could pick up a used one or even an aftermarket one from autozone or one of the other chains.

If you have a K&N filter on it and a lot of oil, the filter oil can contaminate the sensor, however usually you can carefully just clean the wire in the sensor with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Most of the time the sensor will work just fine after that.

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
OK just got the dam thing back from the shop
ended up costing $1400 bucks
it ended up being the throttle body gasket was leaking a little bit of coolant and it contaminated the mas air sensor

you would think they would have noticed when they pulled the sensor

and the 1400 included some other work I had them do

F ing!!! cars

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
dang thats 12 days - two weekends 8 days to fix :eek:

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
OK just got the dam thing back from the shop
ended up costing $1400 bucks
it ended up being the throttle body gasket was leaking a little bit of coolant and it contaminated the mas air sensor

you would think they would have noticed when they pulled the sensor

and the 1400 included some other work I had them do

F ing!!! cars

:hmm:hmm

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
What other work are we talking about? T-body gasket is a couple of bolts and about an hour of diag.

oil change new plugs change thermostat flush radiator
fix the dash controls all the light and heater would go on and off at random
they had to change a switch and a control circuit for that

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
OK, and I'll admit I don't spend much time working/paying attention to gas anything in cars, but I'm trying to figure out how a throttle body gasket could leak coolant onto the MAF sensor... :hmm

The last GM non-marine gas engines I owned had no coolant anywhere near the TBI system, other than way down in the intake manifold crossovers, granted they were big blocks in trucks and were N/A, no blower.

Then again, I've had GM vehicles that would have a standard bolt with a metric nut on the back of it, so nothing would surprise me... The more I see new stuff, the more I miss my '73 Chevy K5 Blazer that I could sit on the fender wells and work on... :fsakes

I can't get much more than wrist deep in either of my Duramaxes, and the BMW??? Forget about it... :smackhead

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
It sure as shit isn't oil from the filter. Let's see, air passing through it at 4 MPH at cruise, 12 MPH at redline WOT, 1.5 oz of oil on 100 square inches of material, not. That would be like dripping pizza grease on your t-shirt and running as fast as you can to blow it off. 100% of contaminations we have seen are from silicone leaking down the wires from the elctronic curciut board part of the sensor. :smackhead

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
We have an 02 Tahoe with the 5.3. I purchased it from a good friend of mine back 2 years ago with only 23K miles.

Had it no less than 2 months and Check Engine Light. Running like crap, hard start. Great. I take it to the dealer and it's a MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow) and that was $960 or so installed.

Cause...aparently an over oiled K&N filter fouled the sensor beyond a cleaning. Total BS. My buddy is big into K&N Filters. I knew it had one when we bought it.

I threw the K&N in the trash. Fockin late model cars and the jack ass dealers they ride in on. :mad:

I told them to give me the old one. Did they save it. Every excuse why not.

Still have the old sensor? If you do, call us. We can get your money back:beer

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
OK, and I'll admit I don't spend much time working/paying attention to gas anything in cars, but I'm trying to figure out how a throttle body gasket could leak coolant onto the MAF sensor... :hmm

The last GM non-marine gas engines I owned had no coolant anywhere near the TBI system, other than way down in the intake manifold crossovers, granted they were big blocks in trucks and were N/A, no blower.

Then again, I've had GM vehicles that would have a standard bolt with a metric nut on the back of it, so nothing would surprise me... The more I see new stuff, the more I miss my '73 Chevy K5 Blazer that I could sit on the fender wells and work on... :fsakes

I can't get much more than wrist deep in either of my Duramaxes, and the BMW??? Forget about it... :smackhead

I had my kid go over the bill he is a teck at dodge and the bill was ok for the work we had them do

but I did beat them down from 1800 to 1400

my thing is if I had the diagnostic equipment and
I just had back surgery
I could have completed the work myself in a day maybe two

mike37

100% American
Reaction score

If I ever run across the guy that came up with the idea I would kick that FOCKer so hard in the junk his balls would pop out his nostrils