WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Getting into RV ownership

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
When I was at my buddy's place at Nacimiento this past weekend, he made mention of the fact that his parents are wanting to get rid of the motorhome on the property. The motorhome was given to them by my uncle several years ago. It hasnt been on the road in at least 15 years, but it is very solid and mechanically never had an issue. The roof is still good. No real leaks (will verify the next time I go back up in a couple of weeks). I know I will need to go through the fuel system and rebuild the carb, replace tires, inspect brakes (dont suspect I will need to change them but wouldn't be shocked), replace engine battery and she should run.

The good..... everything inside works. I know the history of it for at least the last 35 years. and.... its got a 440 Dodge in it.

The motorhome is a '76 or '77 Tioga bunk model on a Dodge chassis. The great thing is, this will fit the entire family in.

And before anybody says anything..... no, I dont plan on taking it anywhere that has an age entry restriction.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Fuel pump diaphragm will be done as well, if still running a mechanical. Not familiar with that chassis setup, but some of that Era had the midland style remote brake boosters, and those can have issues.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Fuel pump diaphragm will be done as well, if still running a mechanical. Not familiar with that chassis setup, but some of that Era had the midland style remote brake boosters, and those can have issues.
Good to know. I will check for that.

The good thing is the fuel that was last put in that tank was pre-ethanol. lol!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Is the shag carpet orange or green?
Its not shag, but it is Orange.

I believe the dinette was removed and just a table and chairs put in its place, so if that is the case, I will probably look to put a jack-knife type sofa in and replace the flooring with some laminate of some sort.

I don't usually like most of the RV "remodels" but this one is so dark and some small things are broken that I think it might just be better to do one of the "remodels" on the interior slowly. Get the kids involved too.

callbob

semi flaccid member
Reaction score
exhaust manifold notorious for gasket leaks. Fixed a couple with copper RTV instead of the stock gaskets. Old mohos are just that, old mohos. Brakes, bearings, seals etc. etc. Good luck hope it all works out.

thmterry

Reaction score
Hope it doesn't have a thermoquad, if it does get fuel injection right away.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
When I was at my buddy's place at Nacimiento this past weekend, he made mention of the fact that his parents are wanting to get rid of the motorhome on the property. The motorhome was given to them by my uncle several years ago. It hasnt been on the road in at least 15 years, but it is very solid and mechanically never had an issue. The roof is still good. No real leaks (will verify the next time I go back up in a couple of weeks). I know I will need to go through the fuel system and rebuild the carb, replace tires, inspect brakes (dont suspect I will need to change them but wouldn't be shocked), replace engine battery and she should run.

The good..... everything inside works. I know the history of it for at least the last 35 years. and.... its got a 440 Dodge in it.

The motorhome is a '76 or '77 Tioga bunk model on a Dodge chassis. The great thing is, this will fit the entire family in.

And before anybody says anything..... no, I dont plan on taking it anywhere that has an age entry restriction.
Please post pics of it how it sits if you can. It would be cool to see a time capsule like that 👍

1tonfun

Reaction score
That 440 is thirsty. We had one way back when and could only go about 180 miles between fill ups.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
exhaust manifold notorious for gasket leaks. Fixed a couple with copper RTV instead of the stock gaskets. Old mohos are just that, old mohos. Brakes, bearings, seals etc. etc. Good luck hope it all works out.
Hope it doesn't have a thermoquad, if it does get fuel injection right away.
My uncle said it has headers and carb have already been done. Not sure the brand on the headers, but it has a Holley carb on it I am told.
Please post pics of it how it sits if you can. It would be cool to see a time capsule like that 👍
Next time I go up i will get a bunch of pictures of it.
Are you planning to live in it until your D is final, or?
No. I live at my Aunt's in Burbank now. Seems like the family is ok with me being there for a long while. I am helping with a lot of things they have all been avoiding so me being there is a win-win.

Lumpy

Reaction score
CA Smog test

Do yourself a favor…walk away from it. Even if it passed smog…that thing is too old for a family…especially a wife. The holding tanks on that thing are not only old old but ancient, not to mention too small.

Ya want an entry grade HOHO for cheap? Find a low miles Bounder with the king bed in the back, under storage and monster tanks.

Last edited:

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I've owned more than 20 cars with all manner of 440's in them, 100%stock to race fuel, 4.88s, and street slicks. If one got better than 12 mpg it truly deserves to be called a unicorn. They always run right at 10 so I wouldn't expect anything good from an RV with one.

outboard_256

Reaction score
Sounds cool. I grew up in those 70's motorhomes. I remember the smell of gas when driving, ice chunks coming out the vents when the A/C was on high, and having a hard time starting them from vapor lock. All fun memories as a kid, probably super stressful for my dad though, haha.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
We had some good times in a 70's Dodge 440 RV. There is something about the sound of the way they start that is oddly satisfying. Reminds me of my grandpas old dodge camping van I guess. Harvest Gold is the best carpet color choice for dogs barf when mixed with marshmallows. Embrace the fuel consumption and dream of the days when gas was a buck a gallon. Get yourself a dreadlocks wig sewn into one of those rastafari beanies and you'll fit in with the hippy chicks. There is a 100% chance you have unwanted guests living in that RV and making nests out of the asbestos insulation.

rush1

Reaction score

Class C you can still get the brake parts but you cant get any brake parts for the class A chassis.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Class C you can still get the brake parts but you cant get any brake parts for the class A chassis.
Alretta Truck Parts has most of everything you'd need. He bought out the existing stock from Kelsey Hayes when they dumped it all.

There is one rotor that's tough to find, but there are a few out there. The biggest problem is that Dodge never sold the rotor and hub separately...only as an assembly, and the hubs were rough cast and balanced with the rotor installed. When knocking the studs out and replacing just the rotor (with a rotor that was balanced on it's own)....the thing will dance down the road. You need to assemble the new rotor on the existing hub, have it machined, then take the assembly to balance shop and have it balanced. Pads/Calipers/Hardware are available without issue, as are most of the rear shoes/hardware/wheel cylinders. Drums are tough....but just throw the axle in the trash and stuff in something from the 90s and you'll be fine.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Don't listen to the naysayers. You and the kids will have adventures in it . . . some good, some bad, but they will all be memories together. Kinda like Jeff's comment about the marshmallow dog vomit. His young bride was about 10 weeks pregnant, so he had to clean up that mess on his own. 😜

rush1

Reaction score
Alretta Truck Parts has most of everything you'd need. He bought out the existing stock from Kelsey Hayes when they dumped it all.

There is one rotor that's tough to find, but there are a few out there. The biggest problem is that Dodge never sold the rotor and hub separately...only as an assembly, and the hubs were rough cast and balanced with the rotor installed. When knocking the studs out and replacing just the rotor (with a rotor that was balanced on it's own)....the thing will dance down the road. You need to assemble the new rotor on the existing hub, have it machined, then take the assembly to balance shop and have it balanced. Pads/Calipers/Hardware are available without issue, as are most of the rear shoes/hardware/wheel cylinders. Drums are tough....but just throw the axle in the trash and stuff in something from the 90s and you'll be fine.
M 600 chassis brake parts have been extinct since the early 80's , I couldn't get them back when I ran Merle Duprey's ABC mobile brake. We use to supply Arletta truck.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
M 600 chassis brake parts have been extinct since the early 80's , I couldn't get them back when I ran Merle Duprey's ABC mobile brake. We use to supply Arletta truck.
Small world.

ABC Mobile Brake outta Nashville? I used to talk to a guy named Dennis there. I should probably know Merle Duprey, but I don't.

My info only goes up through M500...and I've been able to get most everything (up until I quit giving a fuck 3 years ago).

Last edited:

Ricks raft

Reaction score
In about 1990 Had a 76 Dodge diplomat, 25’ bunk model 440, green shag. Served us well. Actually was a little hot rod. Good memories took 11 of us to SquawValley heater quit over night woke up with ice on the inside of the windows🥶. Took it to sears point. Delta trips multiple times. But now at 50 years old plastics and rubber aren’t gonna big good…

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Memories....one way or another you will be creating them.

Those 440's were good motors and I bet it has hardly been used. I think I would put some ATF or Marvel Mystery down the carb or cylinders in homes of lubricating those rings.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
My neighbor got a 90's Bounder for $6500. Spent $4000 on a transmission. $2000 on a generator, thousands on tires, etc.
He sold it for $5000.

He picked up an 07 Diesel pusher recently. Looks nice. Paid $35,000. He was stoked. On the way home he spent $5000 for tires and brakes. Turns out AC doesn't work. That's gonna be a few grand to fix. Generator runs, but doesn't charge the batteries, $3500 for some part. The fridge had the propane works taken out and will only run on electricity. It doesn't work either. If you don't lift the slideouts up when you run them back in, they get stuck.

He took it to Burning Man. I helped him rig up a Predator genny on the bike rack, and plugged it into the RV. He picked up two portable AC units and we ducted them out the bathroom window. Hung a shower curtain behind the drivers seat to keep the cool dash air in a smaller space. Bought a couple giant coolers and a lot of dry ice. Made it work, but his girlfriend wasn't too happy. LOL

You're gonna have an adventure!

Propane fridges need to be really level to work properly.

Sharky

Reaction score
That plastic ThermoQuad will need to go in the trash.

The nice thing is a Qudrajet is almost a direct bolt on. Fuel line size is different. And, you will need to modify the linkage for the trans kick down. Several companies offer cable kits now.

Also, a newer AFB will work.

Cooling is going to be a major factor. The radiator in the older M300-500 chassis was pretty darn small

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
That plastic ThermoQuad will need to go in the trash.

The nice thing is a Qudrajet is almost a direct bolt on. Fuel line size is different. And, you will need to modify the linkage for the trans kick down. Several companies offer cable kits now.

Also, a newer AFB will work.

Cooling is going to be a major factor. The radiator in the older M300-500 chassis was pretty darn small
If it’s a 76 or later gotta stay stock and smog legal in CA

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
CA Smog test

Do yourself a favor…walk away from it. Even if it passed smog…that thing is too old for a family…especially a wife. The holding tanks on that thing are not only old old but ancient, not to mention too small.

Ya want an entry grade HOHO for cheap? Find a low miles Bounder with the king bed in the back, under storage and monster tanks.
Read a post from you a while back that there were talks of you and the wife were splitting....a 1970s Dodge motorhome is how you solidify this
We are already broke up. Just finishing paperwork at this point.

I can always carry more water and tanks if needed. Plus, I me and my kids arent boujie like some here. We can boondock on 40 gallons for a couple days pretty easily. Grew up doing so with a family of 5 in a 10' Dolphin camper.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
We are already broke up. Just finishing paperwork at this point.

I can always carry more water and tanks if needed. Plus, I me and my kids arent boujie like some here. We can boondock on 40 gallons for a couple days pretty easily. Grew up doing so with a family of 5 in a 10' Dolphin camper.
Get something fuel injected. Smogging a carburetor Mopar will be a challenge

81Sprint

Reaction score
I looked at motorhomes before I bought our last 5th wheel. Salesman said the funniest but true thing, all rvs are all built like shit but with a motorhome you further add chassis and engine components. It made me stop and think for sure 😁

ChrisV

Reaction score
Need to evaluate yourself before getting this RV. How many projects do you have? How many are not finished? Can you take on another project?

Men will be men…

Take the rv…

69hondo

Reaction score
If you can make more memories with your kids. Fucking do it!!!! any way you can.

Sharky

Reaction score
Another killer on that Dodge B300 is going to be the alternator. Biggest one you could get was 60 amps back in the 70's.

Aftermarket companies make new ones that are 200 amp that are a direct bolt on.

A real big killer is going to be actually driving it. Dodge only had 1 (one) 5/16 fuel line back in those days. With newer blended fuels, you will be lucky if you can drive it on a hot day. And every rubber fuel line will need replacing. That thing will vapor lock on an 85 degree day.

In 1981 I was involved with GM at their Arizona & Colorado testing areas. GM switched to 3/8 fuel lines with a return and then later (1984) 1/2 inch fuel lines, routed outside the frame on trucks & MH chassis.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Sounds cool. I grew up in those 70's motorhomes. I remember the smell of gas when driving, ice chunks coming out the vents when the A/C was on high, and having a hard time starting them from vapor lock. All fun memories as a kid, probably super stressful for my dad though, haha.
When I was a kid my dad had the boat and some friends has a similar vintage dodge motorhome we would all take to the river. One memory that stands out is wondering if the battery would go dead trying to start it every time we'd stop for food or gas....thing would crank for days lol

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If you can make more memories with your kids. Fucking do it!!!! any way you can.
This is exactly what I am thinking. And the rest of my family all has RV's so it will be much easier for all the cousins to do and make memories together.
Another killer on that Dodge B300 is going to be the alternator. Biggest one you could get was 60 amps back in the 70's.

Aftermarket companies make new ones that are 200 amp that are a direct bolt on.

A real big killer is going to be actually driving it. Dodge only had 1 (one) 5/16 fuel line back in those days. With newer blended fuels, you will be lucky if you can drive it on a hot day. And every rubber fuel line will need replacing. That thing will vapor lock on an 85 degree day.

In 1981 I was involved with GM at their Arizona & Colorado testing areas. GM switched to 3/8 fuel lines with a return and then later (1984) 1/2 inch fuel lines, routed outside the frame on trucks & MH chassis.
This is GREAT info! Thank you!
Step 1: Buy a tent.

Step 2: Take 10 grand out of the bank and light it on fire.

You will still be money ahead of buying a mid-70s RV with a Dodge 440.
Not buying. Am being given. All structure is in good shape, no leaks, and all systems function. Yes I will have to put money into it but I can do the work myself and for less than $5k I can have a motorhome that me and my 4 kids can fit in.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
This is exactly what I am thinking. And the rest of my family all has RV's so it will be much easier for all the cousins to do and make memories together.

This is GREAT info! Thank you!

Not buying. Am being given. All structure is in good shape, no leaks, and all systems function. Yes I will have to put money into it but I can do the work myself and for less than $5k I can have a motorhome that me and my 4 kids can fit in.
My point is, you’re going to end up with $5k plus into an outdated MH that gets 4-5 MPG and is only worth $1000 to a tweaker on OfferUp.

If that doesn’t bother you, and you’re ready for the constant repairs and drain on your bank account, jump right in.

If you want a cheap RV, buy a used pop-up trailer.

If you want to camp cheaply, go to Walmart with $500 and you can get everything you need.

All that aside, good luck and have fun with the kiddos.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My point is, you’re going to end up with $5k plus into an outdated MH that gets 4-5 MPG and is only worth $1000 to a tweaker on OfferUp.

If that doesn’t bother you, and you’re ready for the constant repairs and drain on your bank account, jump right in.

If you want a cheap RV, buy a used pop-up trailer.

If you want to camp cheaply, go to Walmart with $500 and you can get everything you need.

All that aside, good luck and have fun with the kiddos.
I don't see how its going to be more than $5k with the condition that it is in.

Tents SUCK to camp in in the desert. Specially with little kids (the majority of the camping we would be doing). This includes pop-ups. The only thing they offer over a tent is a little bit of ease, some cooking equipment, and MAYBE a tiny bathroom. But to get one large enough for all of us with a bathroom, I'd be looking at close to the same price. Then I would have an RV that none of us want to be in on half of the trips and one I cannot use and take my boat anywhere.

Sorry, but the RDP mentality of "its not worth the headache. Just buy something that is 10x the price" doesn't work for me.