WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gear Vendors Overdrive Wanted

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Was thinking about putting one in my 78 Trans Am, it has a T10 4sp with 3.42 gears. Wondering if the braintrust would have a tip for a used one.

seanroberts

Reaction score
Was thinking about putting one in my 78 Trans Am, it has a T10 4sp with 3.42 gears. Wondering if the braintrust would have a tip for a used one.
They work great I have one on my 72 Trans Am. I’ll ask around for a used one.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpeg
    IMG_0959.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0958.jpeg
    IMG_0958.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Are you going to be racing this car?

I think a (used) Tremic might be a better idea, if not?

bonesfab

Reaction score
I just ordered one for a c6 for a mustang we will be doing. About 4 weeks out. For the money you would be better off with a new Tremec tkx. Would just about be a bolt in and shift better than what you have now. I can get either.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I’d go Tremec, but I’m not wanting to spend 5+k for one plus I kinda like the idea of the GV. I’ve done the tremec on a previous car, they are pretty nice. The current T10 shifts great , kinda like the old school feel. If there’s a cheaper way to do the Tremec I’m all ears, a new GV is 3300.

bonesfab

Reaction score
A new tkx is 2900 ish. Still need a driveshaft done either way. If the clutch is fine spline it will literally bolt in. They make trans crossmembers for them. The gear vendor will require some floor persuasion. The shifter on the tiemec should be pretty close to the stock hole.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Pretty sure I’ll need a new clutch, now I’m thinking Tremec may be the way to go. Either way it’s 3500 ish to get it done.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
A new tkx is 2900 ish. Still need a driveshaft done either way. If the clutch is fine spline it will literally bolt in. They make trans crossmembers for them. The gear vendor will require some floor persuasion. The shifter on the tiemec should be pretty close to the stock hole.

"Putting the shifter in the stock hole"..hmmm

This isnt one of Hubbas threads cause I'm pretty sure those holes aren't stock🤷🏻‍♂️🤦‍♂️😳🤣

Mototrig

Reaction score
If your going to buy a used Gear Vendors first thing you'll want to do is send it to GV in San Diego to be gone through which costs $1200 last time I checked. You'll never know if the seller coasted it down a hill while engaged and burnt it up or engaged it while in reverse or neglected the frequent oil changes and have headaches down the road. At that point after being gone through you'll not have saved much money from buying new in the first place.

I was going to buy one used but after much research I ended up buying it new through @bonesfab and am very happy with my decision and piece of mind.
That's my $.02

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Is there any savings on the GV if I go with you sir? Or am I better off just ordering through their website? Thanks, I hope I'm not being a pain. Todd

bonesfab

Reaction score
Is there any savings on the GV if I go with you sir? Or am I better off just ordering through their website? Thanks, I hope I'm not being a pain. Todd
There isnt a lot of money in them. I can save you about 125.-150.00 Basically split the difference with you.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
There isnt a lot of money in them. I can save you about 125.-150.00 Basically split the difference with you.
I'm heading out of town in a few, I'll reach out next week if I go GV. Thanks for your help and advise.

MAXIMUS

Reaction score
I have a brand new GV for a Ford C6 that was purchased 6 months ago if somebody is interested.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I just ordered one from them.
I ordered one about 6 weeks ago, some products are running a little late. How funny, mentioning this and I get a call that they are ready to ship on Monday...

Last edited:

PaPaG

Reaction score
I ordered one about 6 weeks ago, some products are running a little late. How funny, mentioning this and I get a call that they are ready to ship on Monday...
Got mine delivered last week, now to find the time to install it and get a one piece driveshaft built... Looking forward to trying it out.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I ended up getting a TKX, got delivered yesterday, not looking forward to the install. I don't have a lift, doing it old school car on jack stands.
You will be happier with that choice.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I ended up getting a TKX, got delivered yesterday, not looking forward to the install. I don't have a lift, doing it old school car on jack stands.
where are you located? I have a lift in havasu you could possibly use.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Queen Creek, thanks though plus it will be stuck on the lift until I get the drive shaft shortened.