WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Forced to register my 1-ton as a commercial in AZ.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
For the first time since moving to AZ, I find myself wondering WTF?

I made the trip to the DMV in Yuma this morning and was pretty annoyed at having to register my new 1 ton truck as a commercial vehicle. I went as far as speaking to the extremely rude manager to get out of it. In the end I was pretty much told tough shit and had to pay extra for a weight fee and commercial fee. I asked about the old trick of putting the camper shell on and was told that this isn't California.

This is what I pulled off the AZ MVD site:

"Light Duty Vehicles

Passenger cars, ? ton or less pickup trucks and ? ton or less vans, used for commercial purposes 1,000 or more hours in a vehicle registration year, must be registered commercially.

A vehicle registered in the name of a commercial enterprise must be registered commercially unless the registering applicant certifies that the vehicle will not be maintained and used for commercial purposes.

For the registration of 1-ton pickup trucks used for either commercial or personal use, the applicant must declare a gross weight and pay gross weight fees and a $4.00 commercial fee.

What is a declared gross weight?

Gross weight is the sum of the empty weight in pounds of a motor vehicle combination (power unit and trailer) plus the weight in pounds of the load to be carried on the motor vehicle combination at any point in time. Customers declare the maximum gross weight at which they will operate their vehicle and then pay the corresponding fee as determined by the following table."

The weight fee ranged from $7.50-$1,000 a year. I declared my truck as 8,000lbs which was the absolute minimum and ate the $7.50 plus the commercial fee.

What has me wondering now is what laws I have to follow. My truck weights around 8,000 empty and if I haul my boat, car hauler, or toybox am I in some sort of weight violation since I didn't pay the correct GCWR? I have a neighbor that got pulled over in his company 1ton last week on the I-8 in AZ for a commercial inspection. During the 30 minute stop they wanted to see all the truck functions, securement, triangles, spare fuses, and and bunch of other shit. Last time I was driving the 10E coming into AZ past Blythe, I got the light that said must stop at the weight station. I was in my F-250 and just kept on driving thinking it was in error.

The only option I can find online is a thread here from 2009 that says to get custom plates so they wont show the license plate code. Anybody have any real info on the subject?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Did you buy it under your company name? I just got stopped at HP check point leaving dump. Any truck in CA with a GVW over 10,000 is required to have a DOT number and CA numbers and co name on truck. I think most new 3/4 ton trucks have a GVW over 10k and for sure all 1 tons do. And in CA all trucks are commercial but over 10k require the weight sticker although I have seen them on half ton trucks. Just got my registration for 1 of the work trucks.$952 $546 is for the weight fee.

rvrrun

Reaction score
You can't get away with it in CA, either. If the cargo area is permanently converted with seats and belts you can register as non commercial. That's the gist I got from AAA when I registered a b-100 a few years ago. It was a $70ish difference, and they walked out and checked that it had seats.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Did you buy it under your company name? I just got stopped at HP check point leaving dump. Any truck in CA with a GVW over 10,000 is required to have a DOT number and CA numbers and co name on truck. I think most new 3/4 ton trucks have a GVW over 10k and for sure all 1 tons do. And in CA all trucks are commercial but over 10k require the weight sticker although I have seen them on half ton trucks. Just got my registration for 1 of the work trucks.$952 $546 is for the weight fee.

Our 3/4 ton is under, but not by much. That's something to think about before getting the one ton.

NicPaus

Reaction score
The weight fee ranged from $7.50-$1,000 a year. I declared my truck as 8,000lbs which was the absolute minimum and ate the $7.50 plus the commercial fee.

What has me wondering now is what laws I have to follow. My truck weights around 8,000 empty and if I haul my boat, car hauler, or toybox am I in some sort of weight violation since I didn't pay the correct GCWR?

Yes. Here it is about a $1 a pound for every pound over 8k. I know numerous Contractors that have received heavy fines over $5k one was over $30k, and the only one I have heard the judge reduce to $14K. I pay for the 26k sticker as the 20k sticker is not enough 23k is what I would need. Friends with Duallys pay for 26k but leave them in glove box. With a utility body I have to display as local commercial truck enforcement targets work trucks.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
You can't get away with it in CA, either. If the cargo area is permanently converted with seats and belts you can register as non commercial. That's the gist I got from AAA when I registered a b-100 a few years ago. It was a $70ish difference, and they walked out and checked that it had seats.

The body change from commercial to automobile must be a permanent modification for human inhabitation or transport. (i.e.camping, seating, etc). I have done this on all of my Ca trucks for close to 20 years now. The most recent was the most difficult and they are slowly closing the loophole. Mine was justified as a camper shell as we are are avid outdoors enthusiasts and we purchased the truck to camp and sleep in the back. We have pillows and blankets in back just in case. Is also advisable that if you're going to go that route that you get vanity plates as them you won't get a nosey chp when he sees auto plates on a truck. [emoji6] AAA was completely worthless in regards to this and it was easier to set an appt at DMV to get it done.

View attachment 535672

NicPaus

Reaction score
Our 3/4 ton is under, but not by much. That's something to think about before getting the one ton.

It used to be ok with 1 ton but my old F450 required them. Now the trucks are rated for a lot more than they used to. I told the CHP a new half ton Titan with cummins is probably over 10k. He said by law I can impound it for not having CA numbers. I have been hauling with my 3/4 ton each time I go to that dump. Killing the truck but they do not bother me like they do in the 1 ton.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
The way I take the following statement is that I don't need a DOT number as it will never be operated for any sort of commerce. With this said I will just have to worry about weight until I up the number.

When Do I Need a U.S. DOT Number?

You meet the definition of a Motor Carrier and must obtain a U.S. DOT number, if:

You generate revenue through the transportation of your own property or the property of others (for-hire); or
You perform a service that is a part of your business or have a personal hobby that involves the use of a vehicle or combination of vehicles that has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 lbs and operate in interstate commerce or a GVWR of more than 18,000 lbs and operate in intrastate commerce.
You may need more than one type of U.S. DOT number depending on the type of cargo, materials, or passengers that you transport.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
everyone of my E350 vans had to get comerical plates... I didn't see the big deal.... what did I miss??

Your ad here

Reaction score
It used to be ok with 1 ton but my old F450 required them. Now the trucks are rated for a lot more than they used to. I told the CHP a new half ton Titan with cummins is probably over 10k. He said by law I can impound it for not having CA numbers. I have been hauling with my 3/4 ton each time I go to that dump. Killing the truck but they do not bother me like they do in the 1 ton.

If it has a pickup bed the CHP can't do shit.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

What has me wondering now is what laws I have to follow. My truck weights around 8,000 empty and if I haul my boat, car hauler, or toybox am I in some sort of weight violation since I didn't pay the correct GCWR? I have a neighbor that got pulled over in his company 1ton last week on the I-8 in AZ for a commercial inspection. During the 30 minute stop they wanted to see all the truck functions, securement, triangles, spare fuses, and and bunch of other shit. Last time I was driving the 10E coming into AZ past Blythe, I got the light that said must stop at the weight station. I was in my F-250 and just kept on driving thinking it was in error.

The only option I can find online is a thread here from 2009 that says to get custom plates so they wont show the license plate code. Anybody have any real info on the subject?

If your truck weighs 8,000 lbs, and is registered for 8,000 lbs, don't pull a boat, haul a quad, or bring a bunch of scrap to the dump. you will be over weight.

My wrecker is reg'd for 10K. weighs 9,000+. But wreckers are exempt from gross weight (and length) restrictions.

Just pay up to 10K.

Years ago, (1995?) I drove a wrecker with a 8K registration, and weighed 16,000 lbs. At yearly inspection, DPS told me to fix it, because the next time He seen me on the road, He would pull me over and check.

Less than two weeks, we met again, at a collision. Yep, he checked. The boss had already paid the fees.

Dan'l

Your ad here

Reaction score
Actually looking at the fee schedule it sucks. If your truck has a 11,500 gvwr and have a 18,000 5th wheel you are looking at a $324 weight fee. If your trailer is 10,000 then $198.

Your ad here

Reaction score

This doesn't apply to personal owned trucks under 11,500 lbs. WITH a pickup bed, right?

NicPaus

Reaction score
This doesn't apply to personal owned trucks under 13,500 lbs. WITH a pickup bed, right?

He stopped me in the truck with utility body. It has as 13000 lb GVWR and a 30K GCVWR. He implied any truck with over a 10k GVWR would need CA numbers. It is a company truck on registration.

I am thinking I need to buy another truck in my name that can handle my trailers at 9,999 lbs. Should I get a reg cab long bed 2500 add air bags or just go 3500 as a personal truck for my dump runs with dump trailer. My 2500 reg cab gasser frowns on the concrete loads but I do not want to deal with check points and the headaches.

HotRod82

Reaction score
All of this BS is why I ran Chevy 2500 service bodies for my AC biz. I kept them all unmarked and never had a problem. Much of this nonsense is coming from the Federal DOT. I doubt I will ever own another dually, it just isn't worth it.

Your ad here

Reaction score
He stopped me in the truck with utility body. It has as 13000 lb GVWR and a 30K GCVWR. He implied any truck with over a 10k GVWR would need CA numbers. It is a company truck on registration.

I am thinking I need to buy another truck in my name that can handle my trailers at 9,999 lbs. Should I get a reg cab long bed 2500 add air bags or just go 3500 as a personal truck for my dump runs with dump trailer. My 2500 reg cab gasser frowns on the concrete loads but I do not want to deal with check points and the headaches.

Unless you have something to hide I would keep using company trucks. Is the trailer insured to the pulling vehicle its attached to? Buying another truck and registering it personal seems like a lot of work not to mention if an accident occurs that involves a company trailer that would go against your personal insurance.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

All this is just commercial here in CA but yes the 10001 lb deal is going to spill into everything over time. Anyone who buys even a 1 ton PU with just a bed is subject to this now even if all they do is pick up hey bails for their own Horses or pull a horse trailer. The RV deal is also getting sketchy.

You don't need DOT unless your leaving CA. Intrastate just the CA numbers are fine. DOT is a massive PITA.

Also you MUST have a Motor Carrier Permit in CA over 10001 lbs whether private or For Hire and pay BIT weather your part of the inspection program or not. That is CA number driven. Not heavily enforced for a PU Truck based vehicle but that is rapidly changing.

I am stepping down to 3/4 ton service bodies because this reg. money game is just getting hideous.

CARB is trying to kill business anyway.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
All of this BS is why I ran Chevy 2500 service bodies for my AC biz. I kept them all unmarked and never had a problem. Much of this nonsense is coming from the Federal DOT. I doubt I will ever own another dually, it just isn't worth it.

We run all 250s as well.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

I made the trip to the DMV in Yuma this morning and was pretty annoyed at having to register my new 1 ton truck as a commercial vehicle. I went as far as speaking to the extremely rude manager to get out of it. In the end I was pretty much told tough shit and had to pay extra for a weight fee and commercial fee. I asked about the old trick of putting the camper shell on and was told that this isn't California.

This is what I pulled off the AZ MVD site:

"Light Duty Vehicles

Passenger cars, ? ton or less pickup trucks and ? ton or less vans, used for commercial purposes 1,000 or more hours in a vehicle registration year, must be registered commercially.

A vehicle registered in the name of a commercial enterprise must be registered commercially unless the registering applicant certifies that the vehicle will not be maintained and used for commercial purposes.

For the registration of 1-ton pickup trucks used for either commercial or personal use, the applicant must declare a gross weight and pay gross weight fees and a $4.00 commercial fee.

What is a declared gross weight?

Gross weight is the sum of the empty weight in pounds of a motor vehicle combination (power unit and trailer) plus the weight in pounds of the load to be carried on the motor vehicle combination at any point in time. Customers declare the maximum gross weight at which they will operate their vehicle and then pay the corresponding fee as determined by the following table."

I have had my old DRW Crew cab registered at 8000 pounds for 27 years and never had a problem, but that's in Havasu, I rarely go out of town and haven't been to California in it in probably 20 years.

I don't think CGWR rating matters, just the GVW. I do not see a CGWR on the registration.
On class 8 trucks there is both.

I don't honestly know the answer to any of this, but in my opinion Arizona DPS/DOT is trying to become more like California, they see a big cash cow that's there for the milking.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
It's all a big money grab by the state going after what they perceive as the lowest hanging money tree.

If you have a standard pickup bed and aren't using it for business you have nothing to worry about. If you are using for business leave the advertising off the vehicle.

4Waters

Reaction score

The reason why you got singled out is because of the utility body, I talked to a chp commercial guy also known as a trucker fucker he said a pickup w/o the standard bed and any van that has a box on the back needs to have numbers on the door and must stop at all scales rv's exempt

CobraDave

Reaction score
I have a tundra 1/2 ton with a tri fold cover on it. Can I change it over to passenger plates and save the weight fee in Cali?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

This is the exact reason why truck makers make 2500 trucks, which are generally identical to the 3500 trucks - fleet operators demand them to save on reg fees.

They're built to comply with GVWR limits.

When I lived at the beach, it was "no commercial vehicle" parking. I put vanity plates on my 2500 after my neighbor started getting rousted for parking his 1-ton "commercial" personal pickup on the streets.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Hell, my dodge weights 9K. So I guess with my boat I'm way over and should be running all the stickers and all. Fuck that. I'll go to court over that shit. Cause it's a private use vehicle. Hell, it's my daily driver so they are now impeding my freedom to travel.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Hell, my dodge weights 9K. So I guess with my boat I'm way over and should be running all the stickers and all. Fuck that. I'll go to court over that shit. Cause it's a private use vehicle. Hell, it's my daily driver so they are now impeding my freedom to travel.

This is more of an AZ issue than a CA issue. all Pickups are reg'd commercial in CA (some loopholes though)

One tons in AZ are required. Lowest weight fee is 8K. Not too good on a 9K truck (already over weight) Mine are at 10K, I think. (One F350, and 2 C30's)

I know its not the same, but my '96 CC F350 was 91 bux for 2 years. Brothers '98 Superduty F250 was north of 300 a year, in CA (Riverside, for 2016)

So much is Illegal any more. 3 axle trailer- CDL. Over 10K or 10.5K trailer, CDL. Exceed Gross combined- huge ticket.

I pulled a 12K 3 axle trailer with an 86 C20 (350 at that) all over SoCal. From San Diego all the way to Porterville. Never had a problem.

Thats all I got.

Dan'l

Your ad here

Reaction score
Note to everyone in CA. All pickups are registered as a commercial vehicle. That why the plates are 1 number, 1 letter, 5 numbers or beginning 2012 and after 5 numbers, 1 letter, 1 number. Non commercial plates are 1 number, 3 letters, 3 numbers. Anyways as long as your pickup has a pickup bed that is less than 9 feet and the truck has a GVWR of 11,500 or less you are exempt from having to get a weight sticker, CA numbers, motor carrier permit, commercial insurance policy, and DOT numbers. It's on the CA website. If you have a pickup with a bed, registered to a company you are exempt from the weight sticker, CA numbers, motor carrier permit, commercial insurance policy, and DOT numbers as long as the vehicle has a GVWR less than 10,000. If its more than 10,001 you have to get all that stuff.

It looks like for AZ if you do have a "1 ton" and only use it for personal use you are exempt from the commercial regulations but still have to pay the weight fee. The fee is based on what weight you choose.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Note to everyone in CA. All pickups are registered as a commercial vehicle. That why the plates are 1 number, 1 letter, 5 numbers or beginning 2012 and after 5 numbers, 1 letter, 1 number. Non commercial plates are 1 number, 3 letters, 3 numbers. Anyways as long as your pickup has a pickup bed that is less than 9 feet and the truck has a GVWR of 11,500 or less you are exempt from having to get a weight sticker, CA numbers, motor carrier permit, commercial insurance policy, and DOT numbers. It's on the CA website. If you have a pickup with a bed, registered to a company you are exempt from the weight sticker, CA numbers, motor carrier permit, commercial insurance policy, and DOT numbers as long as the vehicle has a GVWR less than 10,000. If its more than 10,001 you have to get all that stuff.

It looks like for AZ if you do have a "1 ton" and only use it for personal use you are exempt from the commercial regulations but still have to pay the weight fee. The fee is based on what weight you choose.
I fucking hate that kommifornia charges commercial fees for a truck. Seems that it should be illegal as its privately owned. And I can seat more people more comfortably than most cars on the road. Quad cab, I can seat 6 people comfortably, try that in a honda. Yet I'm still charged commercial fees and not considered a passenger vehicle. If I ever hit the redneck lottery, I'll take kommifornia to court on that.

530RL

Reaction score
My F250 is commercially registered in Arizona.

The fee is 4 dollars for commercial registration and 7.5 bucks for weight.

I have a hard time getting upset about 11.5 bucks.

Now the vehicle tax is 1,043.45 and that is the same whether it is commercial or non-commercial. That makes me a little more grumpy.

shan

Reaction score
I've always had a 1 ton dually, and it's always been registered as a commercial vehicle because of it's GVMR. It is what it is. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. Maybe $10-20/year?

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
It's not as much the additional money that irritates me. It's all the requirements of it being a commercial vehicle and then having to calculate the max weight you will ever carry. Commercial vehicles and their opperators are the most regulated industry on earth. It almost opens you up to the typical boating norms of being pulled over anytime to just be inspected.

530RL

Reaction score
It's not as much the additional money that irritates me. It's all the requirements of it being a commercial vehicle and then having to calculate the max weight you will ever carry. Commercial vehicles and their opperators are the most regulated industry on earth. It almost opens you up to the typical boating norms of being pulled over anytime to just be inspected.

Every car I own has a commercial registration in addition to my truck as they are all owned in corporations. No one has ever bothered me and I have never had a question asked about it? My buddies wife who is a drug rep and has a Buick is commercially registered as it is owned by the drug company.

I have always been told that the "Arizona state" requirement to register the vehicle as commercial does not necessarily mean you are using the vehicle for "commercial purposes" as defined by federal law and if you are not, you are not subject to the requirements of the FMCSA.

What are the additional requirements of having one's vehicles, truck or car, registered as commercial in Arizona if it is not being used for commercial purposes as defined by Federal regulations?

Beats me? I know some "trucker fuckers" :) with AZ DPS. I'll ask them.

Good thread as now I have questions.

77charger

Reaction score

Our work trucks are a mix of 3500 dually flatbeds and a couple of 2500 flatbeds single wheel rears.The 3500s need the ca number and weight stickers displayed the 2500 dont need anything and my boss doesnt run a name on truck either just plain white for this reason.

I do still have to go thru the scales with the 2500 just dont need the bs stickers.I did get pulled off to the side so the officer can confirm it was an under 10k gvw vehicle he just looked at the door sticker and told me that if i exceeded 10k the fines would be pretty good.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Ok. Maybe for the weight of a one ton. But why does an old volkwagen pickup still have commercial fees in kommifornia?

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
Our work trucks are a mix of 3500 dually flatbeds and a couple of 2500 flatbeds single wheel rears.The 3500s need the ca number and weight stickers displayed the 2500 dont need anything and my boss doesnt run a name on truck either just plain white for this reason.

I do still have to go thru the scales with the 2500 just dont need the bs stickers.I did get pulled off to the side so the officer can confirm it was an under 10k gvw vehicle he just looked at the door sticker and told me that if i exceeded 10k the fines would be pretty good.

I just spoke to a guy that told me it all comes down to the number on the door sticker as well. My truck says 9,900 GVWR. For this I should have upped my weight fee to the 8001-10,000lb bracket that is $36 annually. The question comes into play that when I add the 5th wheel, my gross weight will be around 10,500 based on the truck weighing 8,000 and the trailer pin being 2,500 ish. Could I legally pay the 10,001-12,000 weight fee or am I now illegal since I'm over the 9,900 on the door sticker?

Your ad here

Reaction score
I just spoke to a guy that told me it all comes down to the number on the door sticker as well. My truck says 9,900 GVWR. For this I should have upped my weight fee to the 8001-10,000lb bracket that is $36 annually. The question comes into play that when I add the 5th wheel, my gross weight will be around 10,500 based on the truck weighing 8,000 and the trailer pin being 2,500 ish. Could I legally pay the 10,001-12,000 weight fee or am I now illegal since I'm over the 9,900 on the door sticker?

I believe the language in the AZ weight fee law is you have to include any trailers that will be hooked up to the truck. Take what ever the 5th wheel gvwr is and add it to the 9,900 of the truck. If the 5th wheel puts your truck over 9,900 you are illegally over loaded. Can your truck handle it though, yes. Can it be a problem, yes. You can get cited for being over loaded, your insurance may not cover you if you are involved in an accident.

Edit: Based on the GVWR of your truck it sounds like its a Ford F350 single rear wheel. If the pin weight is 2500 you should be right below the 9900 number. My F350 unloaded weight is 6800. The unloaded weight for your truck should be on the registration.