Everybody Copied Bob...

shueman

Reaction score
:D

Regatta_No1b.png

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Anyone do the 'Hot Boat Regatta' in 1995? Based at the Nautical. Had about 300 boats of all types. Had a great time.:thumbup:

I didn't participate, but I was out there that weekend and pulled up and shot a little vid from the back row.

waterhorse

Reaction score
I didn't participate, but I was out there that weekend and pulled up and shot a little vid from the back row.

2 boats really stuck with me from that trip, A black twin v-drive cruiser about a 24' (Spectra I think) and a white Apache deep V with triple blown big blocks probably a 40+ footer. Had several small stickers of jet-skis on the side like kills on a fighter plane. Also saw the Apache at Nacimiento in the 90s.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Which Bob? Bob Whalen of Campbell Boats (or Bob Campbell of Campbell Boats) not sure when the sale happened but it's close to that date.

Campbell records show a Regatta in 1972, so which Bob followed Bob?

Someone told me a long time ago that Schiada actually had the first "regatta" in the performance segment but I can't remember who it was. I had always assumed it would have been Campbell as well.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Someone told me a long time ago that Schiada actually had the first "regatta" in the performance segment but I can't remember who it was. I had always assumed it would have been Campbell as well.

I had heard that Bob Teague rigged the ark with six drives. But I'm sure it was schiada considering they do everything first and better ;)

CampbellCarl

Reaction score

Of course it was Schiada...how silly of me to think that Schiada wasn't first hosting the first regatta...

I think if you'll take your rose colored Schiada glasses off for a minute and do some production number investigations, you'll find that the Campbell Brothers were cranking out boats in this era while Leonard was still building mostly flatty and very early cruisers.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that the first Campbell Regatta was linked to the factory move from Burbank CA to London Bridge Road in Havasu and the brothers wanted to showcase the new building for potential customers.

My early Campbell Regattas were all started off on Friday night with a party at the building then Saturday and Sunday on the water.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Carl has the progression about right. Just going from memory (which isn't saying much), I remember Campbell doing Regattas in the early 1970s -- then Spectra joined in a couple of years later and did some Regattas out of their Long Beach on-water sales office in Naples (Catalina runs) -- then it was Schiada (after Leonard passed away and Ron Spindler owned the company -- I recall helping organize the first one which was in Parker), and then came the rest.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Anyone do the 'Hot Boat Regatta' in 1995? Based at the Nautical. Had about 300 boats of all types. Had a great time.:thumbup:

I was there. The only old Hot Boat I have has that event in it and my boat is right in the middle of the picture.

FASTJTBT144

Reaction score
I was going to say Campbell has been having since Shueman was wearing diapers

PVHCA

Reaction score
Which Bob? Bob Whalen of Campbell Boats (or Bob Campbell of Campbell Boats) not sure when the sale happened but it's close to that date.

Whalen, lol, guy wasn't first to do a thing except screw someone, thankfully his wife took care of his screw-ups. Ya Ya I know he's dead.

LOL on Bildo's comment.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Of course it was Schiada...how silly of me to think that Schiada wasn't first hosting the first regatta...

I think if you'll take your rose colored Schiada glasses off for a minute and do some production number investigations, you'll find that the Campbell Brothers were cranking out boats in this era while Leonard was still building mostly flatty and very early cruisers.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that the first Campbell Regatta was linked to the factory move from Burbank CA to London Bridge Road in Havasu and the brothers wanted to showcase the new building for potential customers.

My early Campbell Regattas were all started off on Friday night with a party at the building then Saturday and Sunday on the water.

I'm thinking maybe instead of always being hostile and defensive you should read the post for what it was.. So for the second time. "Someone". (Can't remember who) told me it was Schiada. I (being me) had always assumed it was Campbell (being in agreement with your post). The only reason I brought it up was too see if Leonard had possibly done one or some of them at an earlier point that maybe someone else would have remembered.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking maybe instead of always being hostile and defensive you should read the post for what it was.. So for the second time. "Someone". (Can't remember who) told me it was Schiada. I (being me) had always assumed it was Campbell (being in agreement with your post). The only reason I brought it up was too see if Leonard had possibly done one or some of them at an earlier point that maybe someone else would have remembered.

I don't think you should back down to these naysayers Dave. Stick to your guns and make them prove otherwise.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score

How on earth did you get hostility out of my post? I simply asked you to check production numbers and advise your conclusions. As far as "Someone" goes, I rarely depend on or quote "Someone" as being an expert when I post anything of a factual nature.

I don't think you should back down to these naysayers Dave. Stick to your guns and make them prove otherwise.

I thought that I did pretty well in producing a picture of a 1973 Campbell Regatta T-shirt. Maybe RD's "Someone" will post a picture of a 1969 Schiada Regatta T-shirt and I will certainly withdraw my belief that Campbell started the West Coast Regatta's.

BH

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
How on earth did you get hostility out of my post? I simply asked you to check production numbers and advise your conclusions. As far as "Someone" goes, I rarely depend on or quote "Someone" as being an expert when I post anything of a factual nature.

I thought that I did pretty well in producing a picture of a 1973 Campbell Regatta T-shirt. Maybe RD's "Someone" will post a picture of a 1969 Schiada Regatta T-shirt and I will certainly withdraw my belief that Campbell started the West Coast Regatta's.

BH

Schiada hater.....

Next you're gonna say you doubt that 14klb 43' tactually does in the 90s with two 700s.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Schiada hater.....

Next you're gonna say you doubt that 14klb 43' tactually does in the 90s with two 700s.

I'd only doubt that fact if RD quotes "Someone" as saying that it's true....Now If Lee said it, it MUST be true...

I don't hate Schiadas...I own two...

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE

Reaction score

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424140107.789927.jpg

Campbell regatta 1977 at the London Bridge. BT was in attendance with his 24 "Blue Max"...

On the wall at the shop.

JT
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424140107.789927.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Alrighty then...we've a picture of a 1973 Campbell Regatta T-shirt and a picture of a 1977 Campbell Regatta including Bob Teague...

Any pictures supplied by "Someone" of a Schiada Regatta or T-shirt?

shueman

Reaction score
I was going to say Campbell has been having since Shueman was wearing diapers

lol...I honeymoon'd in '74 at Havasu Landing..I've been boating in Needles since the Marina Park was themed w/Yogi Bear...
We also had an original membership to Ski Land outside Perris CA....

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Again....going back 45+ years by memory is sometimes sketchy, but I believe Schiada built and sold their first 21' step-deck day cruiser in late 1967 early 1968 (Jerry Stone was one of the first owners -- a boat called Assassin which he raced in POPBRA offshore events). Then Bill Dunsmore (Billy's dad) got a 21 step-deck called Suddenly and pulled Tim Guckes to a win (and a new course record) at the 1969 Catalina Ski Race. My dad and I got our 21 step deck Schiada (Ringleader) with Pfaff power in October 1969 and raced it offshore for a little over a year before we destroyed it during the 1970 race season. To my knowledge, Leonard never did a Schiada Regatta -- it wasn't until after his death and Ron Spindler took over ownership that the regattas for Schiada owners got started.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
lol...I honeymoon'd in '74 at Havasu Landing..I've been boating in Needles since the Marina Park was themed w/Yogi Bear...
We also had an original membership to Ski Land outside Perris CA....

This look remotely familiar?

2012-03-26_35.jpg
2012-03-26_36.jpg
2012-03-26_35.jpg
2012-03-26_36.jpg

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Again....going back 45+ years by memory is sometimes sketchy, but I believe Schiada built and sold their first 21' step-deck day cruiser in late 1967 early 1968 (Jerry Stone was one of the first owners -- a boat called Assassin which he raced in POPBRA offshore events). Then Bill Dunsmore (Billy's dad) got a 21 step-deck called Suddenly and pulled Tim Guckes to a win (and a new course record) at the 1969 Catalina Ski Race. My dad and I got our 21 step deck Schiada (Ringleader) with Pfaff power in October 1969 and raced it offshore for a little over a year before we destroyed it during the 1970 race season. To my knowledge, Leonard never did a Schiada Regatta -- it wasn't until after his death and Ron Spindler took over ownership that the regattas for Schiada owners got started.

This look remotely familiar?

IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE

Reaction score
Alrighty then...we've a picture of a 1973 Campbell Regatta T-shirt and a picture of a 1977 Campbell Regatta including Bob Teague...

Any pictures supplied by "Someone" of a Schiada Regatta or T-shirt?

BT said Campbell was the ONLY regatta back in the day.

Also said him and his buddy (forgot the name) got kicked out after said buddy started a commotion at the awards ceremony. Apparently Campbell set up a speed trial / slalom course deal for everyone to run their boats through. Well the Teague setup boats were whoopin ass on the brand new Campbell setup boats and they gave the award to the new boat owner rather than BT's buddy for best time in a certain class... Didn't go over very well.

JT

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
BT said Campbell was the ONLY regatta back in the day.

Also said him and his buddy (forgot the name) got kicked out after said buddy started a commotion at the awards ceremony. Apparently Campbell set up a speed trial / slalom course deal for everyone to run their boats through. Well the Teague setup boats were whoopin ass on the brand new Campbell setup boats and they gave the award to the new boat owner rather than BT's buddy for best time in a certain class... Didn't go over very well.

JT

John, you have to remember that the old rules of the Campbell Regatta required three (3) in every boat for slalom, powder-puff slalom and ski-slalom...

1) Driver

2) Observer/Spotter

and

3) Bartender

It's possible that BT's buddy wasn't properly staffed with a bartender...or...maybe the bartenders voted on who was fastest...

Rickybobby

Reaction score
I thought it was, "Everyone Copied Noah" ???:D:D

Attachments

• noahs-ark-c2a9c2a9flickr-elmada.jpg
    noahs-ark-c2a9c2a9flickr-elmada.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 33

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

BH

Your posts..

Schiada hater.....

Like Billdo's always have that "flare" to em..

Lol

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I had heard that Bob Teague rigged the ark with six drives. But I'm sure it was schiada considering they do everything first and better ;)

You need to slow your roll!!!! I already have 2 good Siggy's and don't have room for a 3rd. :bowdown: :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm gonna wait for your menstrual cycle to subside. You got that itchy ban finger. That other thread was getting fun and then.....poof.

Poof!! :D I like that.. Might get that on a license plate. :D

RD