WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Electric Bike Conversion

D19

Reaction score
I have an Electra Rat Rod that I'd like to convert to electric.

It currently has a 3-speed hub on it. I've seen conversions for the front or rear wheel. I'd like the rear wheel to be my power wheel, but don't want to add handle brakes; not sure if the rear kits allow you to keep the coaster brake.

Has anyone converted a bike? Where'd you get the parts and battery?

8594E76C-3AFE-47EB-8A7F-9B3CCB751EE9.jpeg

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
There was a member that did a conversation. They were posting up parts available on line. I am sure someone will remember. I sure as hell cant.

Reactions: D19

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
All you need is led lights and a transistor battery to electrify it. Just don't forget the Raiders sticker! The Irish 86 figure head on the handle bars is a nice touch.:)

b3uwv4yxmox81.jpg

DesertDog63

Reaction score
A friend mine did his wifes cruiser. Bought the front wheel which has the motor. Came with a throttle and battery. He mounted the battery to a rear rack. Her bike is fast and still pedals nice. She just uses the throttle to assist when needed. It was a single speed so it still has the rear coaster brake

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230226_182312_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230226_182312_Facebook.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 103

Dana757

Reaction score
I doubt you can keep the coster brake. Easiest would be to use a hub motor for that. A mid drive would be bitchen tho. EBay and others have complete kits.

BabyRay

Reaction score
Yep, mid-drive is the way to go if you’ll be riding hills. Also, cadence sensors suck, unless you want the bike to do all of the work. With a torque sensor and good programming, it’ll feel more like a real bike, you’ll go further and faster than a non-electric bike, but still get a good workout.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Same, I have two Electra bikes I've been wanting to convert. Its the reason I haven't sold them yet even though we got new e-bike cruisers. The brakes are a key safety factor though as it shuts off hub power or else it'll be briefly unstopable in a panic.
As Dana said, the mid-drive might be your only viable option if it even allows you to back pedal.
Battery placement(especially ladies frame) is also an issue unless you add/use a rear rack type.
Truly been a dilemma, I prefer my Electra's style, fit, comfort over every other bike I've tried.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I have an Electra Rat Rod that I'd like to convert to electric.

It currently has a 3-speed hub on it. I've seen conversions for the front or rear wheel. I'd like the rear wheel to be my power wheel, but don't want to add handle brakes; not sure if the rear kits allow you to keep the coaster brake.

Has anyone converted a bike? Where'd you get the parts and battery?

View attachment 1203891
I have no idea where the parts would be found...but I saw this in flagstaff at a ski shop.. Thought it was cool so I snapped a pic. Its vintage and would go along with the bike if you could find similar...

IMG_4263.JPG

JJ McClure

Reaction score
Just pedal yore bikes. Skinny tire ahole
2775F3EE-8AC8-4A8A-BF52-FB316153EF69.jpeg
3CF32B8C-3386-44BF-82E7-0CDABE14CE89.jpeg

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Headlight generator. It absolutely fukd up every tire I had😂😂
I literally had no clue what it was, but that makes sense...just thought it looked cool. I could see it being the destroyer of tires!

D19

Reaction score
I did mid drive conversions on two fat tire cruisers. I don’t see how you keep the coaster brake. There has to be a motor cut off during braking and that’s why they all use handbrakes with built in cutoff switches
View attachment 1204029

What brand kits did you get? The mid drive looks cool because I don't have to worry about trying to match wheels. I'd have to get anew rear hub because the throttle would need to take the place of the shifter which is not that big of a deal.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
What brand kits did you get? The mid drive looks cool because I don't have to worry about trying to match wheels. I'd have to get anew rear hub because the throttle would need to take the place of the shifter which is not that big of a deal.
Bafang, the china kits… I have 1000 miles on each bike so far

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Like mesquito creek said, the Bafang mid drive seems to be the way to go. I did one on a mountain bike I have that the wife rides and I'm getting ready to do another one. Available on Amazon for $1000 or so depending on what options you get.

Coaster brake will not work with one of these though, so you'll have to figure out brakes.

Not sure why you'd need to get a new hub?

D19

Reaction score
Like mesquito creek said, the Bafang mid drive seems to be the way to go. I did one on a mountain bike I have that the wife rides and I'm getting ready to do another one. Available on Amazon for $1000 or so depending on what options you get.

Coaster brake will not work with one of these though, so you'll have to figure out brakes.

Not sure why you'd need to get a new hub?

Thanks. I have the Shimano 3 speed hub that came w/ bike. If I add a throttle for electric, it will need to go where the 3-speed twist handle is now. If I went to electric, I'm thinking I really wouldn't need the manual gears.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Thanks. I have the Shimano 3 speed hub that came w/ bike. If I add a throttle for electric, it will need to go where the 3-speed twist handle is now. If I went to electric, I'm thinking I really wouldn't need the manual gears.
I hope I'm understanding correctly...The throttle could be mounted wherever the shifter isn't. It's just a little thumb actuated thing. Looks like you could mount it on the left side of the handlebar right next to that bell. I had to mount mine on the left hand side because of the shifter as well. Just do like this:

B9459AC9-2F25-467A-815A-E88F77AA8ED5.jpeg

Way easier than getting a new rear hub and you retain the ability to shift gears.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
What speeds are you seeing? How many miles on a charge?

They cruise best at about 11-13 mph. They will do about 20-22…. But battery life is way worse at higher speeds.

If we cruise 12 mph we get about 30-40 miles out a a charge depending on the terrain… maybe go farther but I get battery anxiety if I see 2 bars out of 5 so I call it 35 miles and I want to be close to home at that point

D19

Reaction score
I hope I'm understanding correctly...The throttle could be mounted wherever the shifter isn't. It's just a little thumb actuated thing. Looks like you could mount it on the left side of the handlebar right next to that bell. I had to mount mine on the left hand side because of the shifter as well. Just do like this:

View attachment 1204190

Way easier than getting a new rear hub and you retain the ability to shift gears.

Got it. That makes sense now. Thanks! I watched a few videos on this set up and it looks to be like a good one and the right one for me. I'll just have to add handle brakes. No biggie

D19

Reaction score
They cruise best at about 11-13 mph. They will do about 20-22…. But battery life is way worse at higher speeds.

If we cruise 12 mph we get about 30-40 miles out a a charge depending on the terrain… maybe go farther but I get battery anxiety if I see 2 bars out of 5 so I call it 35 miles and I want to be close to home at that point

That would be perfect for what we're doing., I'm going to order the Bafang. Thanks for the info

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

The 3 speeds will help a lot. You need to down shift up hills to use the torque changes to lessen the stress on the battery and motor.

The thumb throttle is almost worthless. At first you will think it’s cool like a moped is cool. But after a quick while you really never use it.

I have thought about removing mine for legal reasons. The federal definition of “motorized vehicle” states the 500 watts or less without any means of activating besides pedal assist is not “motorized”. The senior judge at Gilbert municipal court agreed with my interpretation, for whatever that’s worth.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
That would be perfect for what we're doing., I'm going to order the Bafang. Thanks for the info
Just another thought.
The other option I've considered is buying one of the complete 26 inch 500w motor ebikes off amazon similar to the pic below that are in the $500 range and exchanging all the necessary hardware, wheels, brakes, etc. onto my Electra.
Screenshot_20230303_123045_Amazon Shopping.jpg

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Most of the value/cost is in the battery. So don’t be too drawn to the cheaper kits because you are just getting a smaller battery. Convert batteries to watt hours to compare 36v/48v etc.

I am running 36v 20 amp hour batteries which gives me 720 watt hours per charge. So that 500 dollar bike with 48v 10ah (480 watt hours) battery is 35% smaller than what I have.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Most of the value/cost is in the battery. So don’t be too drawn to the cheaper kits because you are just getting a smaller battery. Convert batteries to watt hours to compare 36v/48v etc.

I am running 36v 20 amp hour batteries which gives me 720 watt hours per charge. So that 500 dollar bike with 48v 10ah (480 watt hours) battery is 35% smaller than what I have.
Yeah, the battery is the weakness with that method but it is still an affordable way to collect all the other components needed. Some of those bikes are offered with different higher ah batteries at slightly higher price.
I will say though, my 20" folding fat tire bike never got very close to running the 48v/10 battery down.🤷‍♂️

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Yeah, the battery is the weakness with that method but it is still an affordable way to collect all the other components needed. Some of those bikes are offered with different higher ah batteries at slightly higher price.
I will say though, my 20" folding fat tire bike never got very close to running the 48v/10 battery down.🤷‍♂️
I don’t disagree. I had a 36 13ah for a while and it had enough range that never really was a problem. I came home on 1 bar a few times but as long as you make it home that’s all that matters.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
YouTube is yor friend... several reviews of several brands

D19

Reaction score
I still haven’t done this. I have not had the time, too busy with other projects. I haven’t even ridden my bike in a year. Lol

Clank123

Reaction score
I see you converted to pad brakes. This bike weighs a ton how do they do stopping it with two riders? Nice Schwinn by the way.
Responding to your PM since I’ve never figured out how to post pictures in there.
So we communicated on the brakes already.
Here’s a screenshot shot of the parts I ordered from Amazon(backboard obviously for another project.
DA6DA554-EFA8-42FF-AF98-9291907FBE7A.jpeg

I’m sure there are better kits, but this one works fine for the ride to the beach and downtown Carlsbad 3/4 of a mile from our house.
We actually pedal most of the time.
I only really use the motor to help get us back up the Hill on the east side of the 5 on the way home. After a few pints and apps it makes it super nice.
Since you have 1968 as well…
Couple things I did.
I shortened the twist throttle way up and machined a couple 3/4 inch extensions for the handlebars so I could run the throttle and the original grips.
Also most all e-bikes I’ve seen are not real tidy when it comes to the throttle and brake cables. I went ahead and sheathed mine for a cleaner look.
F8E146BA-BE70-46AD-8BB9-7EA94AFF99D4.jpeg

The old Schwinn’s pedal assembly is not like the modern bikes.
I cut out the pedal assist pick up to fit around the locknut and epoxied it to it.
Works really well.
5B729D04-2089-4EE2-9435-D6A06B3108F6.jpeg

In place of the coaster brake I used a piece of aluminum that goes over the axle and runs to the old mount and is bolted to the frame just to help hold the axle.
All the electrical components are in the original tool bag hooked to the seat.
662C15F6-9FEB-4DB1-96AC-4BAD5562364F.jpeg

EDA50718-9014-4BE0-8F3A-12B4A16C4864.jpeg

We’ve really enjoyed the upgrade.
It’ll run just under 30mph with me at 250 on it.
Bike is definitely not built for that speed.
We bike in flips and shorts so it’s lucky if ever sees 5mph…maybe downhill!. 😁😎

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Timely posts. Been considering doing this. Thanks to all!