WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dryer outlet wiring

Justfishing

Reaction score
The house was built in 1984 and I believe should have a 3 wire 220v dryer.

There is a 4 prong outlet for the dryer. Should there be 4 wires in the box. I would assume 2 hots a neutral and a ground if it is wired correctly.

Would a 4 prong outlet be wired incorrectly if there is only 3 wires and they have 2 to neutral...don't know yet!.

Taboma

Reaction score

There is a 4 prong outlet for the dryer. Should there be 4 wires in the box. I would assume 2 hots a neutral and a ground if it is wired correctly.

Would a 4 prong outlet be wired incorrectly if there is only 3 wires and they have 2 to neutral...don't know yet!.

The drawing kaOtyk is showing a 3 wire with ground 50A RV receptacle, but close.

A properly wired 4 prong, will have the two hots, a separate neutral and a separate ground connection and terminal. The old style 2 Wire with ground or 3 prong, had two hots and a ground, the 3 prong cord was wired internally in the dryer with the ground and neutral combined on a terminal strip. The 4 prong dryer cord will be wired internally with the neutral and ground separate. The dryer will (Normally) accommodate either style if the dryer cord is wired correctly.

I want to add here ---- the best way to check is shut off the 30A 2 pole breaker and remove the outlet and visually check it. It is possible that somebody simply jumpered the ground and neutral on the receptacle. Be best to know, then make sure your drying is wired correctly.

3wire with ground --- 4 prong 30Amp dryer outlet wiring.JPG

Taboma

Reaction score

I didn't previously address this question. Yes it would be wired incorrectly, BUT, not to say it wouldn't work, that would depend on how the 4 prong cord was internally wired at the dryer.
If the ground and neutral were tied together on the dryer terminal strip, you're effectively making a 3 prong out of a 4. You'd also have to verify that on the outlet side, that the outlet was mechanically bonded to ground. Certainly NOT the right way to do it and I'm not sure why anyone would, unless they're just to lazy or incompetent to obtain and wire the correct cord to match the type of outlet.

One more thing ---- since this is an older house and the dryer could have been wired with aluminum --- pull it out and check and torque the connections. I've seen fires start from loose connections on a dryer outlet, especially with aluminum.

KingofBeers

Reaction score
You should never, ever....ever ever ever bond the neutral and ground anywhere but the main disconnecting means of your service.

The only function of a neutral in a 220v appliance is to run a 120v circuit for a light, timer...etc. Im sure most newer appliances are 4 wire since theyre all filled with bullshit electronics that render them totally unreliable and prone to malfunction.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
In 1984 electrical code allowed 30 amp dryer outlets fed from MAIN Panel ONLY needed 3 wire cable(#10/2cu w/ground).
Dryer outlets fed from SUB panels required 4 wire romex cable(#10/3cu w/ground).

Yes. That is correct. If there's 4 wires in the outlet box, Install 4 wire outlet. Install 4 wire Dryer cord *(PMI) ground & neutral connections separated inside the dryer.
*(Per manufacturer instructions)*

Yes. That would be wired incorrectly. Replace 4 prong outlet w/ 3 Prong outlet.
If there's only 3 wires in the outlet box, then only 3 wire outlet can be used. Install 3 wire Dryer cord *(PMI) Bond neutral terminal and frame ground together w/ jumper inside the dryer. *(Per manufacturer instructions)*

FYI: The outlet configuration is always dictated by number of wires run to the box. 3/3 or 4/4.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
For the sake of your family.
Call an Electrician.
Ive lost 2 friends to electrocution.
1 guy was changing a lite bulb in the back of his electic oven.
The smallest insignificant thing will get you.
Call an Electrician.

Taboma

Reaction score
so here's my opinion....and another thread asking about basic electrical....if you have to ask on RDP how to correct wire an outlet....don't take the cover off...
What about asking RDP members how to check their fan clutch ? :eek: :p

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Call an Electrician.
Call an Electrician.
when I was a kid, The neighbor came over and wired the dryer....the drain hose wasn't installed proper, so water over flowed all over the garage floor,... my mom told me to go get the clothes out of the dryer, bare footed I grabbed the dryer door to shut it off to check if the clothes were dry... got lit up like a christmas tree and knocked on my ass...

Taboma

Reaction score
Call an Electrician.
Call an Electrician.

Sorry to hear about your friends, but I bet the backstory on the oven light bulb change is rather interesting.
I'm going to guess one of two possibilities ---- Power was still on (Didn't shut off the breaker), he's got bare body parts making contact with the oven, and the lamp breaks
while he's trying to unscrew it. --- OR ---- He decides while the lamp is out, it's a good idea to clean the socket.

I can honestly say that in close to 50 years in that field, can't recall a service request to change an oven or refrigerator light bulb.
Perhaps they called an appliance repair shop instead ?
I can say in the 60's working for a shop in San Clemente we had wealthy customers who had us string up their outdoor Christmas Lights.

But you are 100% correct, more often it's the insignificant things, those things easily overlooked in the rush to complete an otherwise unremarkable project or task, that injure or kill not only the amateurs, but even the pros.
I know of a couple of electricians who spent their careers working with and in extremely dangerous environments, only to be killed doing some mundane electrical project at home.

Joepump

Reaction score
Check wire size, should be 10 gauge min.(30 amps). Check to see if the neutral wire is being used as a hot at the breaker. Ive seen a lot of people changing their 20 amp 110v circuits to 220 v 30 amp circuits

Taboma

Reaction score
Check wire size, should be 10 gauge min.(30 amps). Check to see if the neutral wire is being used as a hot at the breaker. Ive seen a lot of people changing their 20 amp 110v circuits to 220 v 30 amp circuits

A lot of people have done this ??? :eek::eek::eek:
If you find this kinda shit's been done in your home, that's probably just the tip of the iceberg. :(
You're living in a fuckin death trap, :mad: Don't fuck around, just accidentally knock the candle over, burn the place and call your insurance man :D