WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Drone????

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
who has a drone? what do you have? recommend? dji??? controller?

LhcBrad

Reaction score
I have a drone and I use it quite often. Almost every day. I have the DJI Mini 2 the reason I choose that one is because it is simple to use and came with what I needed.
Mine came with the drone. the controller, and 3 batteries with charger. It also came with a nice case to carry it with. I am not getting rich with it but I have done enough business with it to pay for itself. If you do use it for business you need to get a Part 107 License and that was simple to do. Feel free to ask any questions.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I have a drone and I use it quite often. Almost every day. I have the DJI Mini 2 the reason I choose that one is because it is simple to use and came with what I needed.
Mine came with the drone. the controller, and 3 batteries with charger. It also came with a nice case to carry it with. I am not getting rich with it but I have done enough business with it to pay for itself. If you do use it for business you need to get a Part 107 License and that was simple to do. Feel free to ask any questions

may I ask what kind of business you use it in?
which controller? cell phone or stand alone?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
We have the Mavic Pro by DJI. We use the iPhone are the controller. It is really easy to use. I can use the iPad as the controller but never have set it up yet.

LhcBrad

Reaction score
may I ask what kind of business you use it in?
which controller? cell phone or stand alone?
The business I use it in is Real Estate. To make it simple I take pictures of houses being built from the foundation to the finished house and then put all the pictures in a book and on Thumb drive and either sell it to the closing Agent or the home owner. I always have the drone in my car and If I see something that I think might look neat from the air I pop the drone up for a quick shot. The controller is the one that came with it and I use my cell phone (Iphone) to see what I am taking a picture of.
I have heard good things about the Autel drone also. Its not always about taking pictures from super high. This was taken on 9-11-21
DJI_0961.JPG

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We have two Mavic pro’s currently. At least I think that’s what they are..

One is two years old and one is late last year. I’m gonna start taking the older one with me on the boat

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
probably a dumb question..................what happens if you are using your phone as the controller screen and you get a phone call???

LhcBrad

Reaction score
probably a dumb question..................what happens if you are using your phone as the controller screen and you get a phone call???
Not a dumb question at all. I let it go to voice mail. Or if the drone is close to me I land it and take the call. I myself dont fly the drone out of my sight.
Daves drone is larger than mine with better quality pictures and video. My opinion is DJI drones are all good. I never had a problem with mine. It will tell you when the battery gets low and if you do get it out of sight or choose to fly it out of sight it has a return to home button. Press that and it will fly back to where you took off from. When you get one take baby steps first to learn how to fly it and learn what it can and can not do. Photos or video is stored as you take them on a mini SD card and also on the phone.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Coincidentally someone is flying one now. Had no idea they had the same set up as boat lights. Shitty pics but this is it. Fast sucker too

Attachments

• B6204079-B04F-4E90-AED3-CF7AA0D375C9.jpeg
    B6204079-B04F-4E90-AED3-CF7AA0D375C9.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 29F3D85A-57A8-43E1-92D8-EFE1192D55CC.jpeg
    29F3D85A-57A8-43E1-92D8-EFE1192D55CC.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 40
  • B5C23382-FF04-47A4-9704-BCB6B3F8602F.jpeg
    B5C23382-FF04-47A4-9704-BCB6B3F8602F.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 42

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I’ve got a mavic pro it was fun for a bit but now it’s just hanging out in the garage. The problem is I like flying it and taking video but have no desire to edit the video or do anything with the video once I’m done flying it!

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I have the Mini 2 because it's very small and I travel with it. Otherwise I would be the Air 2 with much more features.

gqchris

Reaction score
I’ve got a mavic pro it was fun for a bit but now it’s just hanging out in the garage. The problem is I like flying it and taking video but have no desire to edit the video or do anything with the video once I’m done flying it!
Me too, I dont have time for all that crap. Im on a computer all day, and last thing I wanna do is spend hours editing. So I have GB's of video just sitting on my external drives.

Reactions: Vib

dspracing

Reaction score
I’ve always felt the same way, the worst part was the hours spent editing pics/video. I found that the iMovie app on iPhone makes editing really quick and easy.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I had the Mavic and felt the same way.
I gave it all away.

stingray11

Reaction score
I have a DJI mini Maverick it's small enough to be under the weight limit of needing a license it's considered a toy. It takes great video and pictures Is with many features. I fly it by camera all the time ,
org_5dc3074e859f526b_1593111234000.jpg
org_0553035612ed6b2f_1574358158000.jpg
It uses my android hook to the controller. Very inexpensive less than $400

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
For personal use I think the DJI Air 2s is the best middle ground. The full size mavic series is designed more for professional use (videography, public safety, SAR etc) and is usually a little overkill for most personal flights. The Air is a little bit smaller, but still has all of the obstacle avoidance sensors and tracking capabilities that are absent from the even smaller Mini series.

For controllers, they are pricy but I think the Crystal Sky controllers are definitely worth it. They allow for a much higher brightness than most cell phones do for operating in direct sunlight, and have less issues with overheating than a cell phone on max brightness in direct sunlight. The crystal sky controllers also allow for much faster setup time as it is an all-in-one solution.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Look up the Skydio 2plus.

I just went drone shopping and ended up with this one.

Shoots cinematic and has the best collision avoidance ai.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Look up the Skydio 2plus.

I just went drone shopping and ended up with this one.

Shoots cinematic and has the best collision avoidance ai.

We sell Skydios as well they are awesome tools, also American made so they aren't subject to some incoming drone laws (state of FL pretty much banned DJI drones because they are Chinese). Biggest drawback to Skydio (at this time) is their controllers, they are a bit behind DJI in that sense but I think we would be naive to think they aren't going to improve that.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I have the DJI mavic air 2. Love it. Easy to fly, great pictures and video. I'd recommend the fly more package that come with 3 batteries and 3 place charger, carrying case and a few other goodies.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
We sell Skydios as well they are awesome tools, also American made so they aren't subject to some incoming drone laws (state of FL pretty much banned DJI drones because they are Chinese). Biggest drawback to Skydio (at this time) is their controllers, they are a bit behind DJI in that sense but I think we would be naive to think they aren't going to improve that.
Adjusting the speed of the drone has improved the overall experience but yeah their controller is a white label from another company i believe.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Adjusting the speed of the drone has improved the overall experience but yeah their controller is a white label from another company i believe.

Yeah it's from Parrot. Skydio's claim to fame and ultimate goal is more autonomy than anything, so makes sense that the controller was an afterthought.

We have a lot of customers really liking the skydio X2 as a commercial level drone to rival the Mavic Enterprise series.

Mike K

Reaction score
You can get all into these things and have this and that and forget to have fun … let’s say you wanna spend under $400 and have something that is awesome and easy to use and most of all fun … yeah and it can carry a camera if you want … and most importantly … you can fly it within 30 minutes and not lose it or crash it … and it can handle wind … and it has a beginner to expert settings … if that sounds like something … get the Traxxus Atom .

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a DJI Mavic Air that is nothing more than an expensive paperweight right now. I purchased it in April 2018. All 3 batteries have died and won't charge anymore. Apparently, this happens to these types of batteries over time. The issue is that you can't buy batteries from any retailers anymore or even from the DJI website. I contacted DJI directly and they wanted $255 for 3 more batteries. I have no idea if these batteries are going to quickly suffer the same fate of the others since, presumably, they were made at the time (or shortly thereafter) that mine were. DJIs customer service is TERRIBLE and I can't get any useful information from them about this. I'll never purchase from DJI again.

Gonna have to look up the drone that was mentioned above.