C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Here is a story from FB today…….
IMG_2230.jpeg
IMG_2229.jpeg

Roscommon County Sheriff

·
Yesterday, Deputies were dispatched to a boating accident on Higgins Lake about a mile out from the west shore access. Roscommon Central Dispatch advised that there were two subjects who had been thrown from the boat, were in the water without life jackets, and it was suspected that they had sustained broken bones. Third-party boaters were attempting to help the subjects in the water but were unable to get them into their vessel.
Roscommon County Marine Patrol was activated and sent to the scene. Additionally, Sgt. Burmester and Dep. Oneil borrowed a pontoon boat from a civilian in that area. Deputies responded and located two injured victims still floating in the water and one boat that had sustained significant damage. Deputies were able to load both victims and transport them to shore, where EMS was waiting to provide treatment and transport.
Only one boat was involved in this incident. It appears that the boat lost control while underway, eventually turning abruptly sideways and ejecting the occupants.
We are pleased that all occupants survived this incident and were removed from the water safely. We wish a speedy recovery to the victims.
Thank you to Deputy Oneil, Sgt. Burmester, and Marine Supervisor Bradley for the quick response to this tragedy. Additionally, we would like to thank the citizens involved in rendering aide along with Roscommon County 911, Lyon Township Fire & EMS, Houghton Lake EMS, and Markey Twp. Fire & EMS for prompt medical and emergency response in this incident.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Wow, it must have turned so hard that the engine being ejected caused the grunt of the damage. Just a guess.

McKay

Reaction score
Crazy that it ripped out an engine but appears drive and transom assembly are still in tact.

Wayn-o

Reaction score
Maybe similar to the HTM accident where it locked up a motor and that caused it to turn abruptly

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Looks like the one drive is being supported by the tie bar and cables? Like it broke the pivots?

That had to hurt...everything, broken bones, boat and a financial kick to the teeth :oops:

HST4ME

Reaction score
That's what happens when you don't use motor plates and use the stock shit mounts. Not the first time that has happened.

Nothing like a 1000 lb loose projectile in your boat. 496s with Whipples. Well one 496 anyway.

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
AI. No way this is real. 🤪 A motor doesn't exit the boat, and it still floats.

spectras only

Reaction score
It is a Sunsation. I'm wondering if it has balsa floor/stringers like my buddy's Baja 29 Outlaw with twin big blocks had. We're at the local Poker Run, hitting some big rollers caused by a tug boat in Vancouver. Hitting the rollers it jolted the engines, ripping the stringers out. It cost 40K to repair all the damage, insurance took care of it. He sold the boat and bought the 35 Fountain with 600's. Fountains had foam core, didn't have issues with that, other than stress cracks at the door way. :eek:

Ps; looking at the hull close to waterline, I see foam flotaion injected, so it's possible to keep the boat from sinking.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
It appears legit…

HST4ME

Reaction score
There was another one on lake st Clair a couple years ago, step bottoms and the inexperienced don't get along.

Xring01

Reaction score
Those dudes survived…

NO FUCKING WAY… Think about the G Forces it took to do that damage… How in the hell did they not break their necks/spines etc…

Wow… seriously, surviving that… WOW.

When I first saw it, I thought it got hit by a Catamaran at high speeds….

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
That crash must of left a huge debri field………(I am guessing) rear section of top cap, passenger seat, rear seat, multiple seat cushions, motor cover, foam, pieces of fiberglass, a couple of life size rag dolls with their sunglasses and hats flying, and a motor skipping along the top of the water like a crashed drag boat. What a sight!

There was also a video on FB. It looks like it was taken from the boat that L.E. borrowed from a Good Samaritan. A pontoon boat. It only shows the aftermath.

I sure wish there was video of the crash. It would answer some questions, but it seems fairly obvious that he caught an edge and severely hooked it. ……… at speed!

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
One thing I was told long ago by offshore racers. Never ever turn the steering wheel even the slightest bit if you fly the boat. Let it come down and keep going in the direction it was going in when it left the water.

Otherwise the boat will make a sudden and potentially very sharp turn when it lands, which it’s possible that happened here. But just speculation.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
One thing I was told long ago by offshore racers. Never ever turn the steering wheel even the slightest bit if you fly the boat. Let it come down and keep going in the direction it was going in when it left the water.

Otherwise the boat will make a sudden and potentially very sharp turn when it lands, which it’s possible that happened here. But just speculation.

I was wondering how this could happen, but that makes sense. To spin mine hard enough to chuck an engine out the side would really take some effort. Even if I had an engine or drive lock up at speed, it still wouldn't happen. But getting it airborne and then landing with the drives steered to one side or the other? That would probably do it.

outboard_256

Reaction score
My guess is the boat got sideways in the air somehow and landed 90 degrees and just ejected everything in the boat, including one of the engines.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Wasn’t there a female killed on Havasu a while back when a guy was intentionally doing 180s at speed and she was thrown out of the boat? Can’t recall if the boat suffered damage. Boats aren’t built to do that. Many PWCs can. But they are 2 different animals.

oldman

Reaction score

Is that because steering input does not correlate with drive location when there is no load on the drive?

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Is that because steering input does not correlate with drive location when there is no load on the drive?
AFAIK steering input on a full hydraulic setup moves the same speed whether there is load on the drive(s) or not.

What I was saying is don’t move the steering period while airborne or the boat will try to change direction when it lands, even if the drives move slightly from the position they were in at launch.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Inside the story that I posted is this………….

“Only one boat was involved in this incident. It appears that the boat lost control while underway, eventually turning abruptly sideways and ejecting the occupants.”

If we take the statement above at face value, which is probably a first hand account, by a witness. The boat was out of control, and “eventually” turned abruptly. Based on that, I’ve seen a couple of off-shore racing accidents that were consistent with that description. Boat is chine walking all over the place, then boom, it catches a 90 degree hook. Then Bam The boat literally stops……… sideways. Generally this is hard to see since the splash is so huge. Just my 2 cents