WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DIY websites

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score
Ok we used to have a guy who was our one stop shop, he did our site, banners, decals, shirts, BUS cards, ect. He was very reasonable and easy to work with. (Last time we did biz 4-5 months). I call Him a few days ago because I think our site could definitely be advanced, and wanted to update it. He now started a construction biz and is no long does web design:skull. So my main question is does anybody suggest a software or program we can buy so I can build a custom sit and update/ make changes when I want, on my own. Dave has told me it is a timely deal (site building) but in the winter we have a bit of extra time I can devote to building a site I am satisfied with.

Any tips or suggestions where I can find info or a program to do this would be great.
New site must be 5-10 Pages within the site; I want to be able to up load pics, video, make an apt section, and maybe a FAQ.

Thanks
Kyle

wotmarine.com

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I got some Russians... That'll cost 1k to 1500

jarrettolson

Reaction score
wordpress is very powerful and with the plugins you can create a site that is tailored to fit anything. best of all its free. based on your current site it would be a solid fit with very little work. You do not need to learn HTML, but it doesn't hurt in order to further customize.

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
wordpress is very powerful and with the plugins you can create a site that is tailored to fit anything. best of all its free. based on your current site it would be a solid fit with very little work. You do not need to learn HTML, but it doesn't hurt in order to further customize.

I would agree, for a simple site it is a good option and the price is right. Basic html is very easy also and readily findable on the web.

C-2

Reaction score
X3 on playing around in Wordpress.

Later, iff you want a turnkey Wordpress blog that ranks really well you can use a theme such as Thesis. The theme is the nuts and bolts behind the website, you simply add content. But no matter the content you enter, it won?t screw up the html code behind the scenes. In other words, no matter what you bolt onto the top of the 572 inch longblock, the raw HP is always there.

Like many, I believe if you have a webpage ? you might as well optimize it for maximum exposure. Otherwise it?s like having a wallet full of business cards which are never handed out.

The litmus test for your website is to type a few keywords in Google. Think of yourself as a customer, and are looking to get their boat fixed or modded in Carlsbad. If your site does not appear on the first page under ?Carlsbad boat repair?, then you have a fun winter project ? SEO for your website.

Thesis works really well and my friends and I are impressed by it. For example, I have a blog that I?m not yet promoting except for the occasional mention on here and PB. When I started the blog (actually, I will treat it more like a website), the Alexa rank was 8,000,000. I added two simple words and a week later the rank dropped to 1,000,000. Recently I added some content and plugged it a few times on this site; but otherwise, have not yet added any ?blog? posts, or optimized the site for SEO. Currently the site ranks 480,000. I?m pretty excited to see what will happen when I implement full SEO optimization and populate the site with key word rich content.

http://craigslistoftools.com/

My father in-law has a blog website and although the rank sucks azz, if you type in "Surfboards Newport Beach", he is on first page Google, exactly where he needs to be. And I assure you, his competition spends tens of thousands on web development, while Russell's costs a few cases of beer here and there, and an occasional board;

http://surfboardsbyrussell.com/home/

Perhaps start out in Wordpress, then move on to a theme since a theme costs money.

And you can turn a blog into a ?website look?, or you can have people do it for you. Check out some of these blogs, they all have kick azz, incredible ranks;

http://diythemes.com/showcase/

Have fun with it :)

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
I just signed up for GoDaddy's Quick Shopping Cart. It is a click and point website builder and online store in one. They have 3 different options, but I choose the super cheap one at $10/month. I just started a small business selling artisan & gourmet foodstuffs at a farmers' market (1 day/week). I wanted a website/online store just to support my local area. But i need something cheap. I've been really happy with everything I have bought from GoDaddy in the past, so I'm giving it a shot. I'm building the site today.

C-2

Reaction score
I just signed up for GoDaddy's Quick Shopping Cart. It is a click and point website builder and online store in one. They have 3 different options, but I choose the super cheap one at $10/month. I just started a small business selling artisan & gourmet foodstuffs at a farmers' market (1 day/week). I wanted a website/online store just to support my local area. But i need something cheap. I've been really happy with everything I have bought from GoDaddy in the past, so I'm giving it a shot. I'm building the site today.

BTW, GoDaddy has a $1 domain names right now, you enter the coupon code "Gobble". I've bought several since I'm a cheap azz :p

GoDaddy

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
BTW, GoDaddy has a $1 domain names right now, you enter the coupon code "Gobble". I've bought several since I'm a cheap azz :p

GoDaddy

that would have been useful information.....YESTERDAY. LOL

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score
X3 on playing around in Wordpress.

Later, iff you want a turnkey Wordpress blog that ranks really well you can use a theme such as Thesis. The theme is the nuts and bolts behind the website, you simply add content. But no matter the content you enter, it won?t screw up the html code behind the scenes. In other words, no matter what you bolt onto the top of the 572 inch longblock, the raw HP is always there.

Like many, I believe if you have a webpage ? you might as well optimize it for maximum exposure. Otherwise it?s like having a wallet full of business cards which are never handed out.

The litmus test for your website is to type a few keywords in Google. Think of yourself as a customer, and are looking to get their boat fixed or modded in Carlsbad. If your site does not appear on the first page under ?Carlsbad boat repair?, then you have a fun winter project ? SEO for your website.

Thesis works really well and my friends and I are impressed by it. For example, I have a blog that I?m not yet promoting except for the occasional mention on here and PB. When I started the blog (actually, I will treat it more like a website), the Alexa rank was 8,000,000. I added two simple words and a week later the rank dropped to 1,000,000. Recently I added some content and plugged it a few times on this site; but otherwise, have not yet added any ?blog? posts, or optimized the site for SEO. Currently the site ranks 480,000. I?m pretty excited to see what will happen when I implement full SEO optimization and populate the site with key word rich content.

http://craigslistoftools.com/

My father in-law has a blog website and although the rank sucks azz, if you type in "Surfboards Newport Beach", he is on first page Google, exactly where he needs to be. And I assure you, his competition spends tens of thousands on web development, while Russell's costs a few cases of beer here and there, and an occasional board;

http://surfboardsbyrussell.com/home/

Perhaps start out in Wordpress, then move on to a theme since a theme costs money.

And you can turn a blog into a ?website look?, or you can have people do it for you. Check out some of these blogs, they all have kick azz, incredible ranks;

http://diythemes.com/showcase/

Have fun with it :)

Thanks for all the information. I plan on spending some time over the next few days looking this up. and ill get back to you on how it worked out for us. Thanks again

Kyle

C-2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. I plan on spending some time over the next few days looking this up. and ill get back to you on how it worked out for us. Thanks again

Kyle

And if you do want to create your own website, you can do it. You can try some of the out-of-the-box type services like HM mentioned, or go nuts and bolts style. In that case you will need a program like Dreamweaver and their resident photoshop equivalent, Fireworks. Then you can pick up a website template and hack it all up to your own liking. That's what I did, I'm my own webmaster too:

The hardest part is the obvious html and css learning curve, but also populating the website with proper "copy" written content. Once you have your basic structure and the content down, then it's easy to go on and make changes whenever you want, which of course, is the biggest plus for being your own webmaster.

Last edited:

jarrettolson

Reaction score
hey c2 your load time for your private eye home page is super long, who are you currently using for hosting?