WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Direct Drive, Won’t Start, Neutral Issue

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m working on my buddies boat and it won’t start. I believe it has something to do with the boat thinking it’s not in neutral so it’s locking it out.

Behind the shifter there are no electronics.

Just a manual button by the shifter that you pull out to put it in neutral.

There are 2 wires coming off the transmission that goes to a wire block that runs a large relay to the starter.

Is that some kind of position sensor?

6106CF48-5EA6-42B5-9F90-3AE173D2DBDD.jpeg

E3DCBD44-3720-443A-9E30-5876C93F430B.jpeg

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
DD63DE0A-2AA3-48F6-BD7C-00F19EC08BE4.jpeg

0 volts when key is off

12 volts when I try to turn motor on but it doesn’t crank.

Will keep probing shit

DB98086B-6BA3-45BA-B029-1A33BB900ED1.jpeg

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Based on your pictures, I’d start by cutting every one of those shit non sealed crimp connectors off, cut the wire back until you get to non-chalky clean conductor, add new tinned marine wire to make up the length if need be using proper adhesive lined shiny insulated terminals with the appropriate crimp tool, clean the ground points, paint them after assembly, and you’ll probably be amazed how much better everything works.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Based on your pictures, I’d start by cutting every one of those shit non sealed crimp connectors off, cut the wire back until you get to non-chalky clean conductor, add new tinned marine wire to make up the length if need be using proper adhesive lined shiny insulated terminals with the appropriate crimp tool, clean the ground points, paint them after assembly, and you’ll probably be amazed how much better everything works.

Yup that’s exactly what we are going to do!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Why do you say paint them after? Is it a it’s good and grounded now paint to add rust etc protection or?

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Why do you say paint them after? Is it a it’s good and grounded now paint to add rust etc protection or?
Keep corrosion at bay a bit longer. If not paint, just slather them with silicone dielectric grease AFTER they’re out together…but that’s a bit messy

Last edited:

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Keep corrosion at bay a bit longer. If not paint, just slather them with silicone dielectric grease AFTER they’re out together…but that’s a bit messy
Yah my buddy uses this boat 90% in the ocean so we need all the corrosion protection we can get lol

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Had this problem last month it was the ground wire not tight. But bought two batteries and had the marine guy figure it out to the tune of $500.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
If it’s a Ford motor keep a long screw driver to jump the solenoid when the neutral safety switch quits. Also for when the ford solenoid quits. Ask me how I know! Haha