WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Craftsman vs Husky ToolBox

WildWilly

Reaction score
I've been a craftsman guy, well since my first tool set from my parents as a kid. But I have to admit...the newer stuff is turning to garbage. I've had to change so many socket drives out because they fail. I have a couple buddies that have gone to Husky and seem to like them. I did pickup a small kit from them to keep on the boat as well as a 1/2" drive for a prop socket and the quality seems nice. I've looked at their boxes too and overall..seems like a pretty good product. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was in the market.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Looks like you have several choices at hd that would give you the size for considerably less $$. If this is for just home use as I'm guessing it is, I would look at the drawer guides mainly to make sure they will operate smoothly for the years ahead. Being that you won't be in it all day everyday, I personally wouldn't spend the bigger $$.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Ritchey,

As others will certainly jump in and have their opinions I for one would look at the combo currently at Costco.....I think it's $399 or $499 in the store and if you operate the drawers I gotta say the quality is VERY good!!!

Unless you are going to be in and out of every drawer multiple times every day then this box will be perfect.........hell I think it's actually as good or better than my 40 year old Snap-on stacked unit in terms of the quality;)

4Waters

Reaction score
A couple of things I look at are the drawer slides and gauge of the sheet metal for durability.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
20160617_195207.jpg

I got a husky a year ago. Way cheaper than craftsman and it came with liners.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
yes, is for home use. I want something larger since have tools scattered all over the place. I like the soft close drawrs that both those models have. Plus think drawer liners are included.

Looks like you have several choices at hd that would give you the size for considerably less $$. If this is for just home use as I'm guessing it is, I would look at the drawer guides mainly to make sure they will operate smoothly for the years ahead. Being that you won't be in it all day everyday, I personally wouldn't spend the bigger $$.

I will have to go check out Costco again. Last time we were there they didnt have any of those stainless boxes.

Ritchey,

As others will certainly jump in and have their opinions I for one would look at the combo currently at Costco.....I think it's $399 or $499 in the store and if you operate the drawers I gotta say the quality is VERY good!!!

Unless you are going to be in and out of every drawer multiple times every day then this box will be perfect.........hell I think it's actually as good or better than my 40 year old Snap-on stacked unit in terms of the quality;)

I need to go see the boxes in person. Based on the specs on-line the Husky one is good.

A couple of things I look at are the drawer slides and gauge of the sheet metal for durability.

Paul65k

Reaction score
I will have to go check out Costco again. Last time we were there they didnt have any of those stainless boxes.
They don't always have the stainless boxes in the warehouse but you can also buy them at Costco.com........delivered right to your door.;)

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I bought the Craftsman box a few years back and am disappointed with it, pretty flimsy. I recently bought a 6' bottom box from Harbor Freight and love it, real nice box. About as heavy duty as my older Snap On boxes, serious.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets.html

And this is from a guy who HATES Harbor Freight tools. Not a cheerleader here.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Not sure how big you are going but I bought a HF for my shop and it is awesome. They do not have the color selection but the functionality is there.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I did see that one on-line and might go to the store and cehck them out. I have seen the Husky and Craftman brand at the store.

Have you seen the Milwaukee one? I've been thinking about getting it for my garage to replace my old one.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-...t-Set-Red-and-Black-48-22-8510-8520/206126307

I will check out their website this evening.

They don't always have the stainless boxes in the warehouse but you can also buy them at Costco.com........delivered right to your door.;)

I've heard good things on the Harbor Freight boxes in the past and might have to head to the local store and check them out as well.

I bought the Craftsman box a few years back and am disappointed with it, pretty flimsy. I recently bought a 6' bottom box from Harbor Freight and love it, real nice box. About as heavy duty as my older Snap On boxes, serious.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets.html

And this is from a guy who HATES Harbor Freight tools. Not a cheerleader here.

Will stop by their store and check them out. Thanks. :tbi

Not sure how big you are going but I bought a HF for my shop and it is awesome. They do not have the color selection but the functionality is there.

Paul65k

Reaction score
I agree....I bought the 5 drawer roller for doing things on the cars/toys in the garage and gotta say it is VERY nice for the $$.......I actually have most of my everyday sockets/wrenches there now and the operation has been flawless for like 3 years now:thumbsup

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
As long as you stay with the higher end HF boxes they are great. Stay out of the lower end units they are want most people think of when they think of HF.

buck35

Reaction score
Ritchey,

You beat me to it . If I was in the market , thats the box I'd go for .

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
As long as you stay with the higher end HF boxes they are great. Stay out of the lower end units they are want most people think of when they think of HF.

This! I've got the big HF boxes plus side box. Great box killer price

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I've got a Craftsman with the ball bearing slides and Griplatch and I love it. Feels extremely solid. I have the full 300 piece Craftsman socket set in one drawer, and you can open it with one finger. I've played with the Huskys in the store and they felt very cheap and flimsy. The Harbor Freight boxes are good. I would suggest, if you can, to go to a couple different stores and put hands on different boxes and you'll see.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Costco or Husky for sure. Craftsman is similar construction, just costs more.

The Harbor Freight boxes are great as well. Better than the Costco and Husky in my opinion.

This season the Costco box has been black, not the brushed stainless look.

glamis0812

Reaction score
I bought the HF 56" top/bottom two years and it's been great, it's better then the first two mentioned.

rampster

Reaction score
I've had a costco stainless box for about 10 years. Love it, works great, looks great.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
:lmao

I thought you were more concerned with tools than boxes Rich?

:D

They opened a HF near me and will go check them out this weekend.

I agree....I bought the 5 drawer roller for doing things on the cars/toys in the garage and gotta say it is VERY nice for the $$.......I actually have most of my everyday sockets/wrenches there now and the operation has been flawless for like 3 years now:thumbsup

I didn't know they had a higher and lower end. I always assumed their stuff was on the lower end.

I will check the Costco site this afternoon.

You beat me to it . If I was in the market , thats the box I'd go for .

:tbi

This! I've got the big HF boxes plus side box. Great box killer price

I looked at the Craftman boxes this past weekend and remember looking at the Husky boxes before. I never really looked into them or considered them until I saw the price difference between the two.

I've got a Craftsman with the ball bearing slides and Griplatch and I love it. Feels extremely solid. I have the full 300 piece Craftsman socket set in one drawer, and you can open it with one finger. I've played with the Huskys in the store and they felt very cheap and flimsy. The Harbor Freight boxes are good. I would suggest, if you can, to go to a couple different stores and put hands on different boxes and you'll see.

Craftsman you are paying for the Sears name Will update with my HF visit opinion. I have no problem with one of the Costco ones other than the Stainless.

Costco or Husky for sure. Craftsman is similar construction, just costs more.

The Harbor Freight boxes are great as well. Better than the Costco and Husky in my opinion.

This season the Costco box has been black, not the brushed stainless look.

I bought the HF 56" top/bottom two years and it's been great, it's better then the first two mentioned.

I like the costco boxs. Bought a HF. Pealed the emblem off. Stuck a Craftsman emblem on. Matchs all my craftsman tools.:eek:D

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I like the costco boxs. Bought a HF. Pealed the emblem off. Stuck a Craftsman emblem on. Matchs all my craftsman tools.:eek:D

These HF boxes are on the same level or better than Snap on, Mac or Matco now. I just watched a program showing how all of these have gone overseas and product has suffered.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Good to know

I've had a costco stainless box for about 10 years. Love it, works great, looks great.

Wouldn't be surprised if all made by the same company. I did read that the Husky boxes are made in Taiwan.

These HF boxes are on the same level or better than Snap on, Mac or Matco now. I just watched a program showing how all of these have gone overseas and product has suffered.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

The profits of SnapOn and MAC might have suffered. The HF US General line of boxes is pretty widely praised. I know at least 10 guys with them and no one has had a single issue. Issues online seem few and far between.

Will the HF boxes last a lifetime? I don't know, but they seem like they will last 1/2 a lifetime easily, and at 1/4 the cost I don't know how you can go wrong.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Good to know

Wouldn't be surprised if all made by the same company. I did read that the Husky boxes are made in Taiwan.

I think they all are made in Taiwan. Why wouldn't you make it in Taiwan? It is a metal box with drawers and wheels.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The profits of SnapOn and MAC might have suffered. The HF US General line of boxes is pretty widely praised. I know at least 10 guys with them and no one has had a single issue. Issues online seem few and far between.

Will the HF boxes last a lifetime? I don't know, but they seem like they will last 1/2 a lifetime easily, and at 1/4 the cost I don't know how you can go wrong.

I agree. The slides, and gauge on the HF boxes seems better than the Mac and Snap On I have looked at recently.

The Crafstman boxes feel thin and flimsy.

rivergames

Reaction score
I too have a big HF red tool box in my garage. They are great and have 0 issues. I use mine quite a bit as well! I will keep purchasing more as long as the quality stays the same and doesn't diminish to save HF a few pennies!

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I've bought Craftsman products for decades and that has come to an end due to the low quality across the entire line. Sears is dying due to an inept business plan.

Be wary of anything they offer and as mentioned many times in this thread, the extra cost is not worth it. The advantage used to be the Sears satisfaction guarantee. That guarantee no longer exists.:thumbsdown

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Good to know

Might be some truth to that.

I think they all are made in Taiwan. Why wouldn't you make it in Taiwan? It is a metal box with drawers and wheels.

Good to know and will check them out.

I agree. The slides, and gauge on the HF boxes seems better than the Mac and Snap On I have looked at recently.

The Crafstman boxes feel thin and flimsy.

I too have a big HF red tool box in my garage. They are great and have 0 issues. I use mine quite a bit as well! I will keep purchasing more as long as the quality stays the same and doesn't diminish to save HF a few pennies!

I've always had Craftsman stuff and always thought everything was pretty good quality. I've read others saying the quality has gone down. I do know Sears is a dying brand based on the news they are shutting down some stores.

I've bought Craftsman products for decades and that has come to an end due to the low quality across the entire line. Sears is dying due to an inept business plan.

Be wary of anything they offer and as mentioned many times in this thread, the extra cost is not worth it. The advantage used to be the Sears satisfaction guarantee. That guarantee no longer exists.:thumbsdown

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I didn't know they had a higher and lower end. I always assumed their stuff was on the lower end.

They have the red ones and the black ones. I'm fairly certain the black ones are the cheaper, thinner gauge, shittier slides and the red ones are the pretty quality boxes.

rivergames

Reaction score
I've always had Craftsman stuff and always thought everything was pretty good quality. I've read others saying the quality has gone down. I do know Sears is a dying brand based on the news they are shutting down some stores.

I've grown up on craftsman my whole life. About 10 years ago I bought a new craftsman tool box for my garage. It was junk. Now it just sits with spare extra tools and rarely get's opened.

I still really like my craftsman tools (ratchet wrenches, socket set, screw driver, etc), but their boxes are garage

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Good to know.

They have the red ones and the black ones. I'm fairly certain the black ones are the cheaper, thinner gauge, shittier slides and the red ones are the pretty quality boxes.

I've grown up on craftsman my whole life. About 10 years ago I bought a new craftsman tool box for my garage. It was junk. Now it just sits with spare extra tools and rarely get's opened.

I still really like my craftsman tools (ratchet wrenches, socket set, screw driver, etc), but their boxes are garage

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Two Craftsman (two piece), one Husky (two piece) and two Kennedy's (one of one piece, and the other two piece).

Still need more storage for larger tools, like tube benders, long reamers, etc.

I like the 'smaller rolling box sets' over the big 'wall of tools' because I can place one at each boat or motor I'm working on . I can 'lean out the side' of a boat and reach the tools I need without 'climbing in and out' .

No matter how impressive your tool display is, you still must know how to pick them up and use them correctly .

Smooth action of the drawers, ('slides' or 'rollers') and 'depth of all drawers' are the important things when I buy a tool box .

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I have a few newer husky boxes, they are hard to beat for the price. I have a few of the 27" bottom boxes, a 46" workbench box and the 52" top/bottom. All of them have been good so far, especially for the price.

If you watch the website they put certain ones on sale occasionally. The 46" workbench one was 199$ a few weeks ago. If you aren't in a hurry just watch.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have a couple of these 46 inch boxes, and for the price they are really good for light to medium use, or for garage organization/mobile work bench I have one under my 8 foot woorkbench at home.
I use another for tool storage and a small work bench at the vacation house.

They go on sale a few times per year down to $199, but it is worth it at the $250 they are today.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46...gclid=CO-Jwu2299MCFZC1wAodmH8Ojw&gclsrc=aw.ds

4d6d6a97-9e12-4c13-b8dd-6217ffdd4bf3_1000.jpg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I have a couple of these 46 inch boxes, and for the price they are really good for light to medium use, or for garage organization/mobile work bench I have one under my 8 foot woorkbench at home.

They go on sale a few times per year down to $199, but it is worth it at the $250 they are today.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46...gclid=CO-Jwu2299MCFZC1wAodmH8Ojw&gclsrc=aw.ds

View attachment 561775

I have 2 craftsman boxes at home and one of the bigger HF boxes here at work and I would say the HF value is hard to beat.

I almost bought 2 of these HD boxes last month when they were on sale for $199 to rebuild my work bench on an impulse buy unfortunatley they aren't as tall as my current craftsman boxes and I don't want a low work bench....There a steal at 199

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
I have 2 craftsman boxes at home and one of the bigger HF boxes here at work and I would say the HF value is hard to beat.

I almost bought 2 of these HD boxes last month when they were on sale for $199 to rebuild my work bench on an impulse buy unfortunatley they aren't as tall as my current craftsman boxes and I don't want a low work bench....There a steal at 199

buy them, then go to HF and get bigger casters. Height problem solved.:champagne:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

View attachment 561775

I have the craftsman version of that.
It sagged in the middle after less than a year of less than "heavy" use.
Just hand tools and power tool storage.

My craftsman rollaway set up (bottom and top box) are older and are great.
I'll not buy any more craftsman boxes.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I was designing some adjustable height feet for these boxes to bolt on to the bottom instead of the wheels. I was going to get another one for my garage.. but never ended up getting it.

These are great to go UNDER a workbench with or without the wheels, depending on what working height you like.

My engineer friend built this bench out of 2 HF roller boxes and some butcher block from Lumber Liquidators. He removed the wheels and built leveling feet for it. It is super solid. I think he has about $600 into it. He could have cut that down a couple hundred by using a solid core door for the top instead of the butcher block.

IMG_4545.JPG

Pelon

Reaction score

Sears sold Craftsman to Stanley Black and Decker. I believe Stanley sold Husky brand to Home Depot and manufactures some of their products. These could have been manufactured by the same company.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
I was going to buy the Husky from Depot a couple years back ... but now I'm just gonna get the one from HF.

yz450mm

Reaction score