WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Costco diesel no more?

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I was getting gas this morning at Costco and they had posted that they no longer would be carrying diesel at the irvine location. Not owning a diesel it doesnt really effect me but thought i would throw it out for anyone it might. im not sure if its all locations or just this one.
IMG_5923.jpg

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Well they just built a new Costco near me, with a huge gas station, and not one diesel pump....I was told by a Costco Manager that the diesel fuel was not profitable

Boat 405

Reaction score
No surprise, the taxes, headache involved with selling Diesel in CA is a joke.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I also heard from someone else that, as with everything at Costco, its about selling VOLUME....and the fact that most diesel vehicles are larger, they take more time at the pump and with less profitability, it didn't make sense to their business plan...they rather get 3 gas vehicles in and out rather then one diesel.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I also heard from someone else that, as with everything at Costco, its about selling VOLUME....and the fact that most diesel vehicles are larger, they take more time at the pump and with less profitability, it didn't make sense to their business plan...they rather get 3 gas vehicles in and out rather then one diesel.
Do you mean the guys pulling up with an F550 pulling a 42' trailer carrying 2 skid steers and a mini-ex ... all needing to be filled?

oldschool

Reaction score
I’ve heard that Costco makes nothing on fuel at all, they believe it drives memberships. That’s were they make their money.

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

that doesnt make any sense. a diesel sucker is generally buying 3x more fuel in a single sitting or more than your average gas burner

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
that doesnt make any sense. a diesel sucker is generally buying 3x more fuel in a single sitting or more than your average gas burner
Yah, but there are what 10, 20x more gas cars than diesel? That diesel pump sitting idle has to sting with a long line of gas cars waiting for a pump.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Then they should make a fuel setup for just diesel somewhere else in their overly large parking lots. Let the diesel guys enjoy their own lanes, make them wide and tall so they can tow though the pumps and I don’t see why that wouldn’t be as busy as the gas pumps. If not more so.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
Then they should make a fuel setup for just diesel somewhere else in their overly large parking lots. Let the diesel guys enjoy their own lanes, make them wide and tall so they can tow though the pumps and I don’t see why that wouldn’t be as busy as the gas pumps. If not more so.
Lol why? It’s not a truck stop. Lol I bet the next comment from a member is “I’m cancellin my membaship” 😂 Lighten up, there are plenty of other diesel stations. Honestly when I had a Costco membership I never filled up my diesel truck due to the long lines. My time is worth more than a few cents.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Yes saw that yesterday when I filled up. Likely the last time too. Kinda sucks!!!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The average-sized Costco near my house gets about 25k gallons of fuel delivered every day - that’s 3 tanker trucks.

the510

Reaction score
Yea about 2 months ago the Torrance location stopped selling diesel. I was sad.

pronstar

Reaction score
Here’s the thing about Costco:
They don’t make a lot of money selling things.
They make their profits from membership dues.

The only reason why they sell gas, tires and hot dogs/pizza is to give their customers an excuse to visit their warehouse.

The more “you” as a customer shop at a warehouse, the more likely you will see value in, and renew, your membership.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Here’s the thing about Costco:
They don’t make a lot of money selling things.
They make their profits from membership dues.

The only reason why they sell gas, tires and hot dogs/pizza is to give their customers an excuse to visit their warehouse.

The more “you” as a customer shop at a warehouse, the more likely you will see value in, and renew, your membership.

115 million people annually paying at least $50….

I will say for many items it no longer makes sense to shop there. One is fresh fruit and household consumables.

Last edited:

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Costco on way to my house has diesel at every pump. Love it. Usually $0.50 - .70 gallon cheaper than everywhere else.

pronstar

Reaction score
115 million people annually paying at least $50….

I will say for many items it no longer makes sense to shop there. One is fresh fruit.

One thing I’ll say, the fruit y’all get in CA is waaaaaaaay better than what’s available here in Dallas. It doesn’t last long once we get it home.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Sac Costco pumps 1 million gallons a month, gas only

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have never bought fuel at Costco because of the line. Been to Costco 3 times this week though. Hit Long Beach for the first time.

Torrance location had the nice cabinet handles on special. 10 for $15. Bought all of them. They are $9 for comparable ones at cabinet wholesale.

Bought a toilet yesterday for this job. Dual flush $170.

Bought 5 of the 3 pack tarps on special for $15 for 3.

Installing a Costco kitchen sink now. Bought 3 of them. Kohler with faucet , cutting board , drain adapter and mat. $280 after $70 off. Same faucet is $280 at Lowes.

the510

Reaction score
Costco on way to my house has diesel at every pump. Love it. Usually $0.50 - .70 gallon cheaper than everywhere else.
That will change soon buddy. I went one week and every pump had diesel. The next week BOOM all new pumps. Get ready to say buh-bYEE!!

Backlash

Reaction score
Fuck Costco and their "Made in China" inventory! 🖕 Paying for a membership to buy things..... 🤣

Uhh, no.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Honestly when I had a Costco membership I never filled up my diesel truck due to the long lines. My time is worth more than a few cents.

I laugh when I read these kinds of comments because...

40 gallons x $0.50 = $20.00 saved per fill up
40 gallons x $0.70 = $28.00 saved per fill up

NicPaus

Reaction score
I drive by twice a day Torrance costco. Line is usually 10-15 cars. Figure 3-5 minutes a car wait.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
The membership was meant to keep the riff raff out, looks like it’s working.
You think it’s working now, about 30 years ago you had to prove you had a job to have a membership. Really wish they stuck with that policy. Send all the walmarters to Sams Club.

If you’ve heard Larry the Cable Guy talk about Walmart, it’s all true.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I drive by twice a day Torrance costco. Line is usually 10-15 cars. Figure 3-5 minutes a car wait.

I just went through the longest Costco gas line I personally ever had been through yesterday.. 8 cars in front of me, took 10 mins.

Does Does the Torrence location just have single pumps per line? Most of the ones in OC have dual pumps per line, my local Costco has triple pumps per line with the indicators.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I just went through the longest Costco gas line I personally ever had been through yesterday.. 8 cars in front of me, took 10 mins.

Does Does the Torrence location just have single pumps per line? Most of the ones in OC have dual pumps per line, my local Costco has triple pumps per line with the indicators.
I’ve seen the triple pumps with indicators in St George UT. The ones out in the IE are all double pumps (at least that I’ve seen). Though the San Berdo Costco is currently rebuilding their gas station so I don’t know if they are going with triples on the new build or they will just do doubles and leave both the old and new gas stations up to maximize throughput.

Triples are great.

I do wish Costco would prevent people being in line for a pump when the tank fill is then away from the pump side. I think keeping the fill on the pump side is not only faster as people aren’t standing in the through lane for people trying to get around from the back pump or people pulling forward around the back pump to the front pump.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Yep 60 gallons here. I wait max 15 min during peak times. Less during off peak.

NicPaus

Reaction score

Not sure. I will try it this week and report back. 8 cars in 10 minutes must be fast pumps. If they all filled from the same.

When I was at long beach costco there was no line, no line at food court either and 1 in front of me cashing out. Hitting Sams tomorrow's its right next door to Costco. Probably 1/8 of the people. Some weekends the lot at Costco is full never at Sams.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Yah, but there are what 10, 20x more gas cars than diesel? That diesel pump sitting idle has to sting with a long line of gas cars waiting for a pump.
Those diesel pumps are combo pumps plus there was always lines for the Diesel there in Irvine. Plenty of hose to toss over the bed plus I carry two 12 gallon Marine tanks in my toolbox so filling all that up I need to make sure people can pass by.

However all this is a waste since it be no mas.

I've said this before we do better with our Ralphs rewards at various stations but last couple years we have been maxing that $7k @ 4% back Citi Bank perk.