WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Corn Stars

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
My father in law moved to Illinois with his wife who’s from Chicago because her family is aging out and they wanted to be there for them. Recently, as in a couple of years ago, he retired from 38 years in the oil business and now works the annual harvest with his BIL as a seasonal job to keep busy. Here are some pics from his days at the transfer depot:

IMG_5634.jpeg
IMG_5630.jpeg
IMG_5628.jpeg
IMG_5631.jpeg
IMG_5680.jpeg
IMG_5677.jpeg

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Is that out by Maple Park just north of Rt 38 on Meredith Rd?

RichL

Reaction score
Looks like a serious operation.

traquer

Reaction score
What's that brown/maroon color in the corn?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
What's that brown/maroon color in the corn?

Probably some of the corn dust from the grain dryer. The cobs are are a red color usually and some traces of that get attached to the kernels and then break free as the corn is processed from the trucks to the dryer, blown up the tubes, etc.

I've been watching Millennial Farmer on youtube for several years now, they get that same maroon dust building up below their grain dryer.

It's an awesome youtube channel, his operation is very similar to this.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Probably some of the corn dust from the grain dryer. The cobs are are a red color usually and some traces of that get attached to the kernels and then break free as the corn is processed from the trucks to the dryer, blown up the tubes, etc.

I've been watching Millennial Farmer on youtube for several years now, they get that same maroon dust building up below their grain dryer.

Mike Mitchell is another one to take a look at if you like the farm content. Much larger family farm operation (like 10 combines) up in Canada, gets in to some of the nitty gritty. Definitely a different style of video but pretty informative, not a typical farm tuber

AZagpilot

Reaction score
Thought the title was going to refer to another YouTuber “Cole the Cornstar”. A young man 3rd or 4th gen working family farm, 2000 acres. His brother used to help load our airplanes when I go out to Iowa for fungicide run.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

I’ve watched Zach for a few years too. It’s a great channel. One of my favorites. Funny fucker.

Singleton

Reaction score
The days of small family farms are numbered! The equipment costs don’t pan out for a small farmers.
100%. That is why my FIL sold the family farm that was in his family for 3 generations.
The debt he would have to take out each spring in hopes of making a small profit in the fall was insane.
He would drive a semi in the winter to make end met.

Backlash

Reaction score
I saw the thread title and clicked on it as quickly as I could, hoping it was a typo. 🤣

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
My father in law moved to Illinois with his wife who’s from Chicago because her family is aging out and they wanted to be there for them. Recently, as in a couple of years ago, he retired from 38 years in the oil business and now works the annual harvest with his BIL as a seasonal job to keep busy. Here are some pics from his days at the transfer depot:

View attachment 1302475 View attachment 1302476 View attachment 1302477 View attachment 1302478 View attachment 1302479 View attachment 1302480
View attachment 1302482
View attachment 1302487
View attachment 1302488
Curious whats flying around as he dumps corn? Corn "dust" as mentioned or insects?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
100%. That is why my FIL sold the family farm that was in his family for 3 generations.
The debt he would have to take out each spring in hopes of making a small profit in the fall was insane.
He would drive a semi in the winter to make end met.

I can only imagine, when you start adding up just the cost of seeds, chemicals, and fertilizers. We are talking deep into the 6 figures for just the average farmer. Forget about the land leases or property taxes, fuel, etc, etc.

Then when you see one of the combines harvesting 5,000 bushels per hour at ~$5 a bushel... that's 25k an hour... But harvest only lasts a couple weeks and once a year.

crazy business that's for sure.

nanu

Reaction score
SJP’s nephew learning how to combine the fall corn crop. Just finished Sunday, coming to HB tomorrow to enjoy the “good life”. Back east we call that red dust “Bee’s Wings”, I believe it’s part of the Cobb where the kernel connects. It comes loose in the combine when the corn gets shelled and it’s a dusty by product. Our farm is a garden compared to the multi-thousand acre operations in the west but it‘s good to plant a seed, see it grow, and it’s great to to be able to harvest a decent crop and make enough to plant again next year.

Attachments

• IMG_3195.jpeg
    IMG_3195.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 26