WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Coffee Camp in Springville, CA (Tulare County)

Chris Lapoint

Reaction score
The family and I did some exploring and a buddy told us about this place (approx. 1hr from our house), the water was cold as hell but considering it was still 95* outside it felt good.
The kids had an absolute blast, which let me tell you having a (13yr) girl & (9yr) boy is quite the accomplishment in this day and age. This was a purposeful "NO ELECTRONICS TRIP" including us adults, the kids left there wore out and already making plans for the next time we visit.

We have been enjoying the "Slow Down" type of life since leaving down south (Lakewood, CA)

Just thought I'd share a little bit of the fun we are having up here in Tulare, CA.

Coffee Camp 1.jpg
Coffee Camp 2.jpg
Coffee Camp 3.jpg
Coffee Camp 4.jpg
Coffee Camp 5.jpg
Coffee Camp 6.jpg
Coffee Camp 7.jpg
Coffee Camp 8.jpg
Coffee Camp 9.jpg
Coffee Camp 10.jpg
Coffee Camp 11.jpg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Beautiful landscape. Looks like a fun place to play

Kbach

Reaction score
Hmmmm, never been there but looks fun. Is it tent only or any RV dry camnoing sites?

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
I used to go to lake Success and Coffee Camp was for Sunday’s...I remember some cool rock slides...wore the ass out of your shorts quick!

AQUA-HOLICS

Reaction score
My grandparents lived in Strathmore and every summer while visiting for a week or so we always made it up there for a day in the water. The strange part is I’m also 58 and was in my early teens when we would go so maybe we ran into each other MOUZER? How strange would that be!

MOUZER

The Legend
Reaction score
my grand parents lived in porterville and my grandad would take me fishing at the dam at lake suscess then my folks would take us to coffe camp all the time...we probably saw each other and maybe hung out......lol

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I had a girlfriend in the 70s who parents had a house in Camp Nelson. Cool place.
We used to go up there once in awhile.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
We used to go to a place called Black canyon outside of Ramona Ca way down in a canyon always had to wear shoes in the water due to broken glass , one time with Boy Scouts we where camping maybe 20 kids and 5-6 dads then a bunch of bikers came in 60-70 bikes they were doing what ever they wanted , 1 ranger at park ( dad was worried ) I remember them giving the ranger shit ( dad was really worried now ) the ranger drove off after 1 biker said “ Its time to roast Smokey the bear “ SOB it was maybe 2 hours + later ( a long time for us ) and all hell broke loose cops , highway patrol, sheriffs came out of the wood work through the brush , cars trucks buses down that shit road ( dad was happy ) cops told us to go on and enjoy our camping trip they will handle it .. didn’t know till years later all the dads had hand guns on them ( all hunters ) the dads all cracked opened beers and we scouted ;) I’m 60 now then 12-13

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I have backpacked out of Quaking Aspen a few times. Have hiked to some AMAZING lakes out there and even up the back side of Whitney.

Have some great memories of the Springville Rodeo!!

Such beautiful country up there. I miss it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
We used to do Balch Park and Quaking Aspen when I was a kid. We take our trail bikes up there. Road back into some fantastic scenery. came onto a big river back there can't remember what it was. I'd like to go back, but I'm sure it's different now.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
In 97' a big fire burned everything on North side of road going into Sequoia Park including the water flume & SCE power line. SCE signed a joint pole agreement(JPA) with PG&E Powerline that allowed us to add a 12kv line under their existing PG&E 69kv line that was still intact. It was a great job, we staged our equipment at coffee camp parking lot and at end of each day we'd have a couple beers in those same swimming holes.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
omg im 58 yrs old my last time i was at coffee camp i was 14.........looks just the same........all my relatives live in porterville

Hell Mike I went to Porterville JC from 1968 to 1970. I played football and ran track for PV JC.
There were a lot of good looking girls that we dated from PV High School. (Panthers)
I still have a few friends in the area.
In the spring my friends and I spent a lot of time on the Tule River. It was a fun time.
One weekend a couple of buddies and I borrowed a rental boat from the marina at Lake Success.
We ran it out of gas and anchored it on the shore and got the hell back to town.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
My grandparents lived in Strathmore and every summer while visiting for a week or so we always made it up there for a day in the water. The strange part is I’m also 58 and was in my early teens when we would go so maybe we ran into each other MOUZER? How strange would that be!

I had a friend from Strathmore that was on our PV JC football team. Jim Hothersal

Chris Lapoint

Reaction score
I used to go to lake Success and Coffee Camp was for Sunday’s...I remember some cool rock slides...wore the ass out of your shorts quick!

My Son's shorts lasted about 15min before they were trashed, I told them we would go better prepared next time - water shoes, thinker shorts (for sliding) and gogels.
but they had a blast, we had to have a couple talks about how quick that water will take you down those waterfalls.

MOUZER

The Legend
Reaction score
Hell Mike I went to Porterville JC from 1968 to 1970. I played football and ran track for PV JC.
There were a lot of good looking girls that we dated from PV High School. (Panthers)
I still have a few friends in the area.
In the spring my friends and I spent a lot of time on the Tule River. It was a fun time.
One weekend a couple of buddies and I borrowed a rental boat from the marina at Lake Success.
We ran it out of gas and anchored it on the shore and got the hell back to town.

last name moorehead ring a bell.alot my cousins and aunts and uncles still live there..my grandfather was the butcher he drove around in a truck with a crane on the back lived in the old 2 story haunted house behind cemetery that finally burned down...........

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
last name moorehead ring a bell.alot my cousins and aunts and uncles still live there..my grandfather was the butcher he drove around in a truck with a crane on the back lived in the old 2 story haunted house behind cemetery that finally burned down...........

Yes it does. I knew Brock Moorehead. We used to drink beer and shoot pool at his parents house.
I think Brock had a Z28 back then.
We used to party in the orange groves and sometimes the cemetery.
I knew Ken and Marleen Lansford and their family as well. I knew the Roland family as well as lot of other families and their kids.
When my parents drove up to watch me play football they stayed at the Paul Bunyan motel.
I have a lot of fond memories of Porterville and the surrounding area. :)

MOUZER

The Legend
Reaction score
Yes it does. I knew Brock Moorehead. We used to drink beer and shoot pool at his parents house.
I think Brock had a Z28 back then.
We used to party in the orange groves and sometimes the cemetery.
I knew Ken and Marleen Lansford and their family as well. I knew the Roland family as well as lot of other families and their kids.
When my parents drove up to watch me play football they stayed at the Paul Bunyan motel.
I have a lot of fond memories of Porterville and the surrounding area. :)

omg thats my crazy cousin brock..........i havent seen him since about late 70,s i know he was married with kids ........this is way to funny........ why does everybody know crazy brock.........we used to visit uncle emmett and aunt louis all the time and play pool

Last edited:

oldschool

Reaction score
Looks like a cool spot and a good time.
Porterville and the surrounding towns are not what they once were.

MOUZER

The Legend
Reaction score
i always had the calling to go back there since we spent so much time in porterville / i loved coffee camp but my cousins who i saw at my dads funeral last year said they where glad to get out..........my mom always said i was the moorhead of the family.....not a PIERCE like my dads side from porterville my mom and dad where 17 yrs old when they got married there right out of high school..

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
omg thats my crazy cousin brock..........i havent seen him since about late 70,s i know he was married with kids ........this is way to funny........ why does everybody know crazy brock.........we used to visit uncle emmett and aunt louis all the time and play pool

I think Brock pretty much knew everyone in town some way or another. I'm sure he even knew the Shultz family in Terra Bella as well.
The last time I ran into Brock I believe he was hauling logs for a timber company above Camp Nelson.
Did your aunt and uncle also have a cabin near Camp Nelson?

MOUZER

The Legend
Reaction score
talking to my mom who is 87 whats your last name

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
talking to my mom who is 87 whats your last name

If they ever went to a home football game at the JC stadium back in 69 & 70 they might just recognize the name Dave Demek.
Did you ever go to Coleman's just down the street from Porterville High School?
I loved their hamburgers and greasy tacos. :)
Mike, give a call if you like.
661-209-9698