WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chevy to Cummins conversion

LomitaBob

Reaction score
I want to put a cummins 6 cyl in my 03 chevy hd with a 6.0. I know screamin seemen sells the mount kits but does anyone have any experience with this type of conversion

sent from the EVO

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I've had a Duramax GMC and a Dodge Cummins both were great trucks. I would think you would want to start with a Duramax truck and not a 6.0 vehicle. Registration and smog would seem impossible with that Vin and paperwork.

dancudmore

Reaction score
I want to put a cummins 6 cyl in my 03 chevy hd with a 6.0. I know screamin seemen sells the mount kits but does anyone have any experience with this type of conversion

sent from the EVO

You will be thousands ahead if you just sell your gasser and buy a diesel...

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellowboat

Reaction score
You will be thousands ahead if you just sell your gasser and buy a diesel...

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not to mention have a bunch more hair.

Assuming you could get a referee station to sign off on the sawp, you would still have to swap out/mod every system in the truck.

LomitaBob

Reaction score
I know its alot of work but it will also be badass
sent from the EVO

LomitaBob

Reaction score
And my truck is registered in Az,
No smog
sent from the EVO

bonesfab

Reaction score
I did one in a earlier chevy k30 and love it. You can get a round the smog issue. I replaced a blown and injected 502. More torque more power and runs cooler. It is my daily driver.. :thumbsup

scottietwohoty

Reaction score
I did one in a earlier chevy k30 and love it. You can get a round the smog issue. I replaced a blown and injected 502. More torque more power and runs cooler. It is my daily driver.. :thumbsup

:worthless_1_:

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I think you should swap out that drive train for the Cummins mill, drive it for a few months, and then finish the job by swapping out the frame, rear end, body, and interior to Dodge truck pieces.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
whats gonna be bad azz about it?? :rolleyes:

just get a ford with a 7.3 and youll have a real truck.

:D

bonesfab

Reaction score
I didn't have pics on my Ipad..

Attachments

• DSC_0107.jpg
    DSC_0107.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC_0172 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0172 (Small).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC_0170 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0170 (Small).JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC_0106 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_0106 (Medium).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC_0137 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_0137 (Medium).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 305

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
Some may ask, why the hell would you do that.....well if your stuck with an 03 Chebby, this would be a major improvement....

Think of the glove box space you would free up by not having to carry around an extra set of injectors!!!:D

dancudmore

Reaction score
Some may ask, why the hell would you do that.....well if your stuck with an 03 Chebby, this would be a major improvement....

Think of the glove box space you would free up by not having to carry around an extra set of injectors!!!:D

he's got a 6.0 gasser, no extra injectors required ;)

NicPaus

Reaction score

Its a 6.0 gas no injector issue like early D-Max. I dont see much improvement I just bought a 06 6.0 gasser and not a hell of a difference between my 06 D-Max unless I am towing over 12,000 lbs. Towed the dump trailer at 11,000 + last week 17,000 + overall and it did it no problem. Unless Bob has a 25-30' boat and plans on towing back and forth for 50-60,000 miles the swap will not payoff on fuel saved. Gas is 50 cents cheaper than diesel.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

Choose a common rail Cummins and they use simular injectors.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I think you should swap out that drive train for the Cummins mill, drive it for a few months, and then finish the job by swapping out the frame, rear end, body, and interior to Dodge truck pieces.

That makes total sense!

LomitaBob

Reaction score
If i had the money i would buy a kodiak dually but like they say if u cant have the one you love, love the one you r with. I know i will get better milage running a diesel, i used a full tank each way to the river from lomita. And that was not towing anything, i cant imagine how bad it would suck it up towing a heavy daycruiser. I know i can get decent power for less in the long run. My only other option is a supercharger on my truck with 160k miles

sent from the EVO

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
My only other option is a supercharger on my truck with 160k miles

If you're concerned with fuel consumption while towing, then this really isn't a good option for you.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I've got an old 7.3l Ford, so I'm this may not be all that valid, but I doubt my fuel economy is much different from a buddie's V10 Dodge 3500 DRW. I just don't see much economy to be had with diesel, in the full size truck space.

My VW Golf, on the other hand, comfortably gets north of 50mpg while the identical gas car gets 35.

I'm not knocking diesel but I fail to see how my 12 mpg with diesel is all that much better than a V10 gas truck would get, even when I'm towing. It has amazing capabilities, and that's why I have the truck, but I just don't see any fuel efficiency there.

If you're after fuel economy, I think you should pick up a diesel truck and convert it to gas.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I've got an old 7.3l Ford, so I'm this may not be all that valid, but I doubt my fuel economy is much different from a buddie's V10 Dodge 3500 DRW. I just don't see much economy to be had with diesel, in the full size truck space.

My VW Golf, on the other hand, comfortably gets north of 50mpg while the identical gas car gets 35.

I'm not knocking diesel but I fail to see how my 12 mpg with diesel is all that much better than a V10 gas truck would get, even when I'm towing. It has amazing capabilities, and that's why I have the truck, but I just don't see any fuel efficiency there.

If you're after fuel economy, I think you should pick up a diesel truck and convert it to gas.
My buddy only wishes he could get 12 outa his V10 Dodge,empty. Your diesel only gets 12? Thats horrid! WTF is wrong with it? Didn't it used to get like 25?:D

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
My buddy only wishes he could get 12 outa his V10 Dodge,empty. Your diesel only gets 12? Thats horrid! WTF is wrong with it? Didn't it used to get like 25?:D

He's using Canadian gallons.
They're like US gallons, only smaller...and they talk funny :D

LomitaBob

Reaction score
My 05 duramax got like 15-17mpg towing my 30foot toy box loaded

sent from the EVO

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score

The highest I've seen is 14.5 and the lowest 12.

My buddy easily gets over 20mpg towing at 75mph. :thumbsup

bonesfab

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.. I doubled my milage:D. I get between 12-15. I just took some gear out to get the rpm down so that should help with the milage.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Wasn't Lomita Bob just bitchin about how broke he was and shit? Musta hit the lotto? :hmm

LomitaBob

Reaction score
Wasn't Lomita Bob just bitchin about how broke he was and shit? Musta hit the lotto? :hmm

No lotto, and i still am as broke as fuck!! I am not doing this tomorrow and was actually gonna start crusing the swapmeets for parts. Do a major budget build and let it take however long it takes.

If i hit the lotto the thread would be about my 11 second kodiak
sent from the EVO

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I resemble the 7.3 remark, too :D

15259Sale_shot_5.jpg

Bob, if you love the truck and it suits you perfectly and you plan to keep it forever, then why not? The conversion ain't cheap tho, and you will be pretty much married to the truck unless you sell it in a non smog state.
The dollars don't make sense until way down the road.
I would do a 12 valve conversion because of the relative simplicity of the install and lack of electronics involved.
The crap fuel mileage we are all seeing these days is due in no small part to the reformulated diesel, when my truck was new the best I ever saw was almost 20 on a road trip, this was before I did the dually conversion.
My overall fuel economy has dropped 20%, but I still get almost 13 towing hauling 21k GCVW on a trip that takes me up and over Donner Summit.
The same trip in a vehicle with a big block Chevy and the same weight netted a stunning 5.5 MPG overall, with the added benefit of going 15 miles an hour slower.
My 7.3 is a 97.
It does not require a smog check.

Yellowboat

Reaction score

showphoto.php

Bob, if you love the truck and it suits you perfectly and you plan to keep it forever, then why not? The conversion ain't cheap tho, and you will be pretty much married to the truck unless you sell it in a non smog state.
I would do a 12 valve conversion because of the relative simplicity of the install and lack of electronics involved.
The crap fuel mileage we are all seeing these days is due in no small part to the reformulated diesel, when my truck was new the best I ever saw was almost 20 on a road trip, this was before I did the dually conversion.
My overall fuel economy has dropped 20%, but I still get almost 13 towing hauling 21k GCVW on a trip that takes me up and over Donner Summit.
The same trip in a vehicle with a big block Chevy and the same weight netted a stunning 5.5 MPG overall, with the added benefit of going 15 miles an hour slower.
My 7.3 is a 97.
It does not require a smog check.:D

oh yes it does...

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score

showphoto.php

My 7.3 is a 97.
It does not require a smog check.

You photo can only be viewed by members of hotboat pics....and, for some reason you have privacy settings on your stuff because I AM a member and says I don't have permission to view your photo. You got something against midgets? :D

Yellowboat

Reaction score
You photo can only be viewed by members of hotboat pics....and, for some reason you have privacy settings on your stuff because I AM a member and says I don't have permission to view your photo. You got something against midgets? :D

Yeah, they are short.

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
oh yes it does...

No it doesn't. 1 ton diesel truck in that year doesn't even require an inspection.....they don't have cats. 3/4 ton on the other hand is a different story - '97 might not? Mine is a 2002 and doesn't require a smog check or inspection.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
HM tell me if you guys can see it now, I screwed up....

YB I don;t know what to tell you, the new smog deal in Ca picks up the diesels built in 1998 and newer, this is a model year 1997, OBD II not OBD III... I have a friend who is extremely familiar with CAL EPA and the smog laws, extremely familiar....and this truck is not subject to said new regs.

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
HM tell me if you guys can see it now, I screwed up....

YB I don;t know what to tell you, the new smog deal in Ca picks up the diesels built in 1998 and newer, this is a model year 1997, OBD II not OBD III... I have a friend who is extremely familiar with CAL EPA and the smog laws, extremely familiar....and this truck is not subject to said new regs.

I can see it now....helps if I click on the link on your original post and not the one in my quotes. :D

Is yours 3/4 ton? I know my neighbor has a '98 and he bought it used without a cat well before they changed to requiring an inspection. He called me looking for creative solutions since he knew about the issue I had with my Audi.

When I picked up my truck used from a dealer, I was checking out all the banks stuff and noticed it didn't have a cat. I went to a smog check place and they told me the 1 ton didn't come with a cat and does not require any testing or any inspection....at this time. Even the '98s-? 3/4 tons don't require a "test" and only require a physical inspection.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I thougth it was 96 and newer? atleast that is what CARB is saying. then again they don't know the diffrence between a VOC and thier ass hole.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
It is 98 and newer. My guy is well connected.
This is the reason the 94.5 through 97 F series trucks with the 7.3 PSD engine are so scarce, people who have them in decent to good shape are holding on to them, just like the decent shape pre 98 Cummins Trucks.
HM it is an F-350, was a SRW when I bought it. They were ramping up for the new body style in 97 and did not build a dually for the 97 model year.
To add to the confusion, there really was no 1998 model year trucks for the F-250 and 350 series trucks in the HD version. The new body style was introduced in 1998 as a 1999 model, which was the first of the Super Duty body style

On edit.... I am speculating here, but I believe that they can only do the actual smog test on trucks with OBD III on them, because the parameters are only readable through an OBDIII system.
It is a cluster, that is for sure.

Last edited:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Bob, I believe we have officially crapped on your thread, and you have my apologies for that.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
This is the reason the 94.5 through 97 F series trucks with the 7.3 PSD engine are so scarce, people who have them in decent to good shape are holding on to them, just like the decent shape pre 98 Cummins Trucks.

To be fair, the early PSD is not generally as well respected as the late IDI because of the fuel injection issues. Mine is an IDI turbo (factory turbo... Banks, I believe). I'm pretty sure the factory turbo IDI trucks were short lived at the very end of the IDI run.

I stayed away from the earliest PSD. That's why I ended up with the IDI.

That's not to say the PSD issues couldn't be sorted out and you'd have an excellent engine that would last one hell of a long time...