WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Castle rock cut at Powell

2Driver

Reaction score
7195B3A0-C1E1-4D47-85C7-FDC8D8A2907D.jpeg

I think we will have enough water in mid June to use the castle rock cutoff but not sure what level is safe

What is the real depth and width of that cut when they say “absolute minimum vs “safe level” to a 48’ houseboat?

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I spent nearly every summer weekend at Farley Canyon growing up. I never realized that 4 feet of lake level seperated it from Hite.

When the lake dropped to the point Farley was dry we would go shore camp at Hite.

2Driver

Reaction score
Would have thought there would be more input. Should have started a rice road thread. :D

hallett21

Reaction score
If it helps looks like the cut off has a 3ft variable between absolute minimum and normal minimum. The others have a 2ft differential.

Do you go out of antelope or wahweep?

I imagine day of travel you could run the boat over there and check the depth before the house boat gets rolling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanroberts

Reaction score
The bigger melt off is coming. By mid June you'll be more than fine it should be 15' deep at least you'll be more than fine. You're only going through the cut at no wake speed. I take my 75' houseboat through there without issue. I've only had to take the main channel in 2006-2007 I think. The cut has been open since then. Plus lots of snow pack this year. I would think the water should be coming up into the 1st week of July if not a bit longer. I plan on doing my 20 days this year, end of June until the middle of July.

Boat 405

Reaction score
You’ll be fine by June. It’s cut like a square. Full depth all the way across.

Pelon

Reaction score
Clearing it out now. With a lot of rain expected in Southwest Colorado and Northeast New Mexico in the next two weeks it might even be navigable by Memorial weekend.
From Wayneswords

castle rock cut.jpg

2Driver

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

LOL is that a real picture of it?
Last time we went to Powell it wasn’t there. Been awhile.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Did Powell 10 years in a row.... Couple times water was too low to take Castle Rock pass.... Sucks going the long way. We will be back on the boat this year after a 2 year break. Can't wait!

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
It's crazy to believe how low the lake is right now after all the rain & snow this winter.

Babyback

Reaction score
View attachment 752016

I think we will have enough water in mid June to use the castle rock cutoff but not sure what level is safe

What is the real depth and width of that cut when they say “absolute minimum vs “safe level” to a 48’ houseboat?

When will you be there? We also have a houseboat trip planned beginning on Father’s Day for 6-days...

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
It's crazy to believe how low the lake is right now after all the rain & snow this winter.

The majority of the snowpack hasn’t even started melting yet. Some mountain areas in Utah and Wyoming just got another dusting of snow the other day. It may not all melt this summer. Good news for the Colorado River!!!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
The majority of the snowpack hasn’t even started melting yet. Some mountain areas in Utah and Wyoming just got another dusting of snow the other day. It may not all melt this summer. Good news for the Colorado River!!!

That's nuts that there may still be snowpack come fall very cool.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Powell cycles like crazy every year. You really have to compare peak high and lows, comparing anything between is futile :)