WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Caravan Camper Shells ???

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I Saw one at the beach on a Tacoma & thought, "Shit, that makes total sense".
Every tuck I've owned has had a shell, Snug Tops, Leers, ARE's, etc.
One pain in the ass has always been the tailgate . . .lower it, and raise the shell window . . . and now you're 2 feet back from whatever is inside the bed.

So I looked up camper shells with delivery doors and found 'Caravan Camper Shells' . . .
Made in Reno Since 1955
My Dad had one on a GMC before I was born.

I think I may try one on my next truck . . . it'd be nice to be able to get into the bed and grab / load stuff w/o having a 2 foot hurdle. Also being able to swing only 1 door to grab or get smaller stuff out may be nice.
I could care less how they look, although I don't think they look that bad . . . I'm just over the tailgate for my particular needs.

Here's a few from their website . . . anyone here have any experience with them???

GMC-Denali-Caravan-Camper-66-Bed-With-Long-Sliding-Side-Windows.jpg

Ram-1500-57-bed.jpg

Ford-Super-Duty-Caravan-Camper-Shell-With-Double-Rear-Doors.jpg

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Very well made, a Reno staple for sure. Lot of friends had them over the years. You will love one, way easier to camp with.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… Used to be I had no problem crawling up over the tailgate… Probably now not so easy???…

yz450mm

Reaction score
If they made something like that that was easy to put on and take off, I'd be all over it.

I would love to find something useful for a quick solo one or two day overnight with the dirt bikes or side by side, rather than dragging along the 45' toy hauler for just me.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I had a camper shell for years. Took it off and trashed it because of the reasons you mentioned. This looks pretty good.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
ARE used to have a rear door option that deleted the tailgate. It had a access d I or in the center and the whole back would open up like a hatchback if you wanted

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Search FB Marketplace Reno; they come up used all the time there. There are used ones in many of the Camper sales lots as well. I have never had one, but I like them. I hear they are heavy.