WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California Drought

PrimeCut

Reaction score
I think I solved it, what do you think?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429575785.201468.jpg

Joker

Reaction score
The desal plant in Carlsbad is amazing. Too bad Huntington didn't do theirs first.

FrznJim

Reaction score
LOL Good one!! You know you will be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize!

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Ha! No shit... Or there will be an endangered weed in the pipeline alignment.

The Enviro-Nazi's will find something and the masses will bow! :thumbsdown

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Problem with desalination is what to do with the salt. On the surface it seems like the solution, but it isnt. California agriculture uses 80% of the state's water, but you can't stop watering the crops because our economy depends on the exports.

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score
Problem with desalination is what to do with the salt. On the surface it seems like the solution, but it isnt. California agriculture uses 80% of the state's water, but you can't stop watering the crops because our economy depends on the exports.

Um yeah, back in the ocean via dedicated brine line. The problem is the efficiency and the economic logistics of getting inland...

90 Laveycraft

SBC/Jet..Oh hell ya!
Reaction score
All, please read up on the facts of desalination. A good example is the Carlsbad Plant...

1 billion to build.
38 Megawatts/day used.
Tech is not there...50 gal salt = 25 fresh...+ waste water(high salt) to return to ocean.
Only 7 to 10% of the areas use......filled a day.....
They need 10 plants just for this tiny corner of the state.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score

Sell some of it to Trader Joe's as "All Natural Malibu Sea Salt", and then process the bulk into 'McNuggets' for water softeners . HA HA

90 Laveycraft

SBC/Jet..Oh hell ya!
Reaction score
Nailed It!!!

Columbia River, Or/Wash boarder.....12,000,000 gal/sec to ocean in peak season....400 miles to Lake Shasta and the Calif Water system.....

Alaska...Canada...???? All Close and have the water needed.

Boat 405

Reaction score

Joker

Reaction score
All, please read up on the facts of desalination. A good example is the Carlsbad Plant...

1 billion to build.
38 Megawatts/day used.
Tech is not there...50 gal salt = 25 fresh...+ waste water(high salt) to return to ocean.

If it was that bad, the water authority wouldn't want to be buying the plant from Poseidon in 5 years in lieu of 30.
You're missing something.

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score

1 billion to build.
38 Megawatts/day used.
I heard it cost $2B and the treated water will cost $2200/acre foot [emoji16]

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
The cost of the plant is just shy of 1 billion
The $2B number I heard was from SDCWA Water Operations supervisor. His number probably includes the infrastructure to move the water up to Twin Oaks WTP

Joker

Reaction score
The $2B number I heard was from SDCWA Water Operations supervisor. His number probably includes the infrastructure to move the water up to Twin Oaks WTP

That could be right. I know the plant is shy of 1.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I made a solar desalinization project for a science project in school.
It worked great and was passive.

The salton sea would be a perfect place to start.

JDKRXW

Reaction score

1 billion to build.
38 Megawatts/day used.

[video=youtube;nYxlpeJEKmw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYxlpeJEKmw[/video]
Here is part of the answer.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
In a ruling with major implications for California's water conservation efforts during the historic drought, a state appeals court on Monday ruled that a tiered water rate structure used by the city of San Juan Capistrano to encourage saving was unconstitutional.

The Orange County city used a rate structure that charged customers who used small amounts of water a lower rate than customers who used larger amounts.

But the 4th District Court of Appeal struck down San Juan Capistrano's fee plan, saying it violated voter-approved Proposition 218, which prohibits government agencies from charging more for a service than it costs to provide it.

The stakes are high because at least two-thirds of California water providers, including many in the Bay Area, use some form of the tiered rate system.

Gov. Jerry Brown immediately lashed out at the decision, saying it puts "a straitjacket on local government at a time when maximum flexibility is needed. My policy is and will continue to be: Employ every method possible to ensure water is conserved across California."

http://www.mercurynews.com/drought/...rought-court-rules-tiered-water-rates-violate

Oh really Jerry. You sure as hell never employed a method known as.............................PLANNING! :finger

smallblocksperry

Reaction score

1 billion to build.
38 Megawatts/day used.

I heard it cost $2B and the treated water will cost $2200/acre foot [emoji16]

The cost of the plant is just shy of 1 billion

I've been on the project from the very beginning, The total project is 594 million, at least that's our contracted amount (Kiewit Shea Desalination) that includes the plant and the 54'" 12 mile conveyance pipeline to the twin oaks water treatment plant.

Joker

Reaction score
I've been on the project from the very beginning, The total project is 594 million, at least that's our contracted amount (Kiewit Shea Desalination) that includes the plant and the 54'" 12 mile conveyance pipeline to the twin oaks water treatment plant.

What are you working on?

PrimeCut

Reaction score
All I'm saying is, where there is a will, there's a way.

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score
I made a solar desalinization project for a science project in school.
It worked great and was passive.

The salton sea would be a perfect place to start.

More environmental crap. Salton sea listed as impaired for salt so there is nowhere to put it, other than truck it. The crux to viability is an efficient recycling system, I.e. recovering the salt. By the way, efficiency of these systems is approaching the low 90%, but is still very costly.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Been talks about Desal plants on the Gulf Coast for years......Does anyone know the projected costs of water to the public from a Desal Plant compared to current water costs? That's gonna be the big factor.

Sbarry

Reaction score
Ya'll are missing something here... It's called old technology. A few more of these bad boys, retain the fresh water, and quit dumping it all out into the ocean.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429630985.728148.jpg

PVHCA

Reaction score
You know how the government has a spending problem, and not an income problem?

CA doesn't have a water problem.
CA has a water management problem.

We have enough water to meet our needs, we just waste/squander it.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/californias-green-drought-1428271308

Bingo! Government want to make it a crisis to tax more.

I've been saying this for years, water is a commodity and as long as there's money to be made all figures can and will be manipulated to make sure the government gets their hands on the tax payers wallet.

As for the desalination plants, very expensive to build, not needed IMO when we can pipeline water in.

HotRod82

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how much it fucking costs, if it keeps water flowing from my tap then do it! As it stands now, within two years the water to your homes and businesses will be shut off during most of the day.....just like in most third world countries.

PrimeCut

Reaction score
I'm sitting here watching Mead drop, thinking Cali needs to do something, plant agriculture that's takes less water, desalination plants, anything.
Here's the picture of the launch ramp at Callville Bay, Lake Mead
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429632043.803403.jpg

575cat

Reaction score
Do you think all that water savings residential or commercial is going to save that river ? :eek

Old Texan

Reaction score
Great article that pretty much tells the story of bureaucratic political ineptitude.....

Ironically they now want to recover what they let run away......Environmentalists destroy far more than they save and are too arrogant to begin to understand it.

As millions of gallons of freshwater rush out to sea, some counties are looking for ways to bring desalinization plants online, and are spending millions of dollars to do so, but environmentalists are already speaking out against the plan, saying desalinization is energy-intensive and can negatively impact sea life.

Preparing for future droughts and making it through this one all comes down to math and engineering, Cohen said. ?We know the systems we have to build to make sure the state has plenty of water, but instead we have wasted millions of acre feet of water in the last 10 years,? Cohen said. ?The thought that you can conserve your way out of this is not going to lead to any success.?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
As most of you know, I've spent the last 30 years in the oil and gas drilling business in different capacities.

Now I am drilling irrigation wells in SoCal for the huge orchards.
There is a LONG waiting list, and what I consider pretty lax regs thus far.

These growers will pay around a quarter to a half million bucks per well, one outfit needs 45 wells ASAP.

I've been trying hard to research geologicals on these aquifers (multiple aquafers produced in each well) to find any
valid data, but it always seems to lead to bias.

But these growers are huge corporations, they would not be spending 20 million for 45 wells for a relatively small
portion of acreage if they hadn't done their research.
They are even willing to pay in advance just to get penciled in.
I'm trying to get set up with a couple of them to finance a rig and corner the market. My buddy and I just drilled one using oil field drilling practices and chopped 50% off the drilling time as compared to what they have been getting for
their money.

Point is that residential water is what needs figured out, the growers are already taking action for themselves before the State fucks their shit up worse.

oldschool

Reaction score
As most of you know, I've spent the last 30 years in the oil and gas drilling business in different capacities.

These growers will pay around a quarter to a half million bucks per well, one outfit needs 45 wells ASAP.

I've been trying hard to research geologicals on these aquifers (multiple aquafers produced in each well) to find any

But these growers are huge corporations, they would not be spending 20 million for 45 wells for a relatively small
I'm trying to get set up with a couple of them to finance a rig and corner the market. My buddy and I just drilled one using oil field drilling practices and chopped 50% off the drilling time as compared to what they have been getting for
their money.

Point is that residential water is what needs figured out, the growers are already taking action for themselves before the State fucks their shit up worse.

Are you working in SoCal or Central California?

Old Texan

Reaction score

their money.

I'm curious how long before the CA is going to regulate the number of wells. From my small amount of knowledge on the subject, I think it's going to accentuate the problem eventually as the aquifirs are all recharged by ground water which will effect the reservoirs and rivers even more.

Here in TX, from what I believe is true, wells are being limited by ongoing geological study. This has caused many municipalities to switch from wells to ground water and battle with agriculture as is happening in CA. Growth in the Hill Country north of San Antonio is being effected by the depth of the Edwards Aquifir that has been the source for years. And I've heard for years how Phoenix has been running their aquifir to serious lows.

Odd that CA has lacked the foresight the other states have been practicing for years. But as all have said, they've avoided the inevitable. Most bureaucrats don't understand whre ground water comes from or goes to.:eek

An aquifer is an underground layer of water-bearing permeable rock or unconsolidated materials (gravel, sand, or silt) from which groundwater can be extracted using a water well. The study of water flow in aquifers and the characterization of aquifers is called hydrogeology.

PVHCA

Reaction score
I'm curious how long before the State is going to regulate the number of wells. From my small amount of knowledge on the subject, it's going to accentuate the problem eventually as the aquifirs are all recharged by ground water which will effect the reservoirs and rivers even more.

They already are, I also hear the wells are drying up.