WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California Auto Purchase

Baja Pete

Reaction score
I am looking for some of the Braintrust’s help.

I live in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. I found a vehicle at a CA dealership that I am interested in buying. The dealer said that for me to avoid paying CA sales tax and registration, I would need to have the car picked-up and delivered outside of CA. This was news to me; every other vehicle I have purchased, out of state, I just flew in and drove the vehicle back to Idaho and paid sales tax and registration.

Can anyone confirm that this needs to happen? And if so, any hookups on auto transport companies.

Last edited:

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I am looking for some of the Braintrust’s help.

I live in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. I found a vehicle at a CA dealership that I am interested in buying. The dealer said that for me to avoid paying CA sales tax and registration, I would need to have the car picked-up and delivered outside of CA. This was news to me; every other vehicle I have purchased, out of state, I just flew in and drove the vehicle back to Idaho and paid sales tax and registration.

Can anyone confirm that this needs to happen? And if so, any hookups on auto transport companies.
I live in AZ and bought a used car from a dealership in CA a few weeks ago. The dealership told me that if I drove the lot that they were required to charge me CA sales tax, but if I had the car shipped to AZ from their lot that I would not need to pay the CA sales tax.

I wanted to see the car in person before buying it, and the $$ was about the same either way so I just paid the CA sales tax and drove the car home. To register in AZ, they don't charge additional sales tax over what I had already paid to CA as shown in the my sales contact. I would imagine it works about the same in ID.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
This is correct.

I recently bought a boat from a dealer in CA. I had to have it shipped, with a certified guy that could provide a BOL (not your buddy with a Uhaul trailer) in order to not pay the CA tax.

SeanRitchie

Reaction score
CA sales tax is waived for buyers outside of CA (I assume to help entice out of state buyers to purchase items from CA, improving out economy?).

As long as you can prove it was shipped and delivered outside of CA (shipping documents, BOL, etc., sales tax is waived.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Yup--just like the others have said.
Need to have car shipped to avoid CA tax.
Daughters Audi was purchased out of Oxnard Audi and I shipped it up to our home in OR to avoid sales tax.
Cause OR tax on used vehicles is 0--easy decision.

Used @BAS from here.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Let me tell you about my experience buying my motorhome in Ca, and having it delivered in Arizona.
We made the purchase from a dealer in the OC, they drove it to the AZ border in Erinburg or however you spell it.
I was there with a notary, and did all the paperwork there. Drove it to my place in AZ.
Next week, I drove it the AZ MVD for vin verification, and register it. I paid my AZ sales tax, and was done.
About 6 months later, I get a sales tax bill from California, to the tune of about $9K. I sent them the receipt of me paying AZ taxes, and all of the notarized paperwork. Nope, nada, CA says I still CA taxes.
It took me another 6 months of proving that the motorhome lived in Arizona, and had never been inside the state of Ca to get out of that mess. I had to send them property taxes paid for maybe 5 years in AZ, Utility bills, gas receipts, and pictures of where it was stored on my property.
I eventually prevailed, but man what a fricken hassle. I've never considered buying anything from a dealer in California ever since, and that was in 2009.
I did by a new truck back in 2017 from Texas, and they were able to charge me AZ sales tax, and handle all of the registration for me.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
For people who reside outside of CA and have situations like dirtslinger2's posted above, and CA sends you a bogus bill, why don't you just toss it in the trash?

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
When I bought my Ram in Idaho the dealer collected the CA sales tax and dmv fees and provided the remainder of needed documentation.

I drove off in the truck and they sent me all the documents and the check made out to the DMV Fed X.

Apparently CA takes all that easy stuff and flushes it right down. Stupid however not surprised. Not collecting the tax really pisses them off apparently.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Yep, I passed on buying a car out of California because of this bullshit rule. Dealer was being a dick about it, giving me a hassle over how it was going to be shipped to avoid the taxes. They ended up wanting me to pay the Ca sales tax and then told me to get it refunded when I registered it in my home state and paid their sales tax. Told them pound sand, they started to back peddle but it was too late.

I found another car in Florida. Florida dealer was able to charge me my home state sales tax and even had the car registered and plated for me. I never had to go to the DMV. They also coordinated shipping.

California bullshit rules, one good reason I don’t miss living there.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I delivered(drove or trucked) several cars to Az from my Ca dealership & processed paperwork just like @dirtslinger2 s transaction with zero issues.
I also had customers pay the tax, purchase a Ca "one way trip permit" and drive it home to Az. When they registered in their state, like Az, and tax was due they were credited for the tax they paid in Ca, then Az would recover the tax from Ca.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
For people who reside outside of CA and have situations like dirtslinger2's posted above, and CA sends you a bogus bill, why don't you just toss it in the trash?
I had a problem with a motorcycle I sold and the DMV finally took it from a tax return. That is why they will not give up.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Pretty sure he still gets a CA paycheck that would be garnished for the amount of the fees.

Baja Pete

Reaction score
I looked at paying the California tax and offsetting it against what I would pay Idaho, the tax rate where the car is located is 10.25% vs 6% in Idaho. The cost of shipping should be less than that 4.25% difference.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I looked at paying the California tax and offsetting it against what I would pay Idaho, the tax rate where the car is located is 10.25% vs 6% in Idaho. The cost of shipping should be less than that 4.25% difference.
That was usually how customers would calculate which way was less expensive and/or less complicated. New car taxes between Ca & Az were usually very close or negligable.
Hope your deal goes through smoothly.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
When I bought my Ram in Idaho the dealer collected the CA sales tax and dmv fees and provided the remainder of needed documentation.

I drove off in the truck and they sent me all the documents and the check made out to the DMV Fed X.

Apparently CA takes all that easy stuff and flushes it right down. Stupid however not surprised. Not collecting the tax really pisses them off apparently.

Dave Smith? If so, they have out-of-state sales down to a science.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Dave Smith? If so, they have out-of-state sales down to a science.
Yes. I would do it again. Straight forward, no games. This was back in May 2019 though. Possible dealership changes as of late? Not sure.
They even had the DMV fees and sales tax correct to the dollar. Smog the truck, verify the Vin, and done.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Yes. I would do it again. Straight forward, no games. This was back in May 2019 though. Possible dealership changes?

Made a three day run home to stop and visit friends in Utah and hit Parker to PU my boat.

I believe it changed ownership within the past couple of years, but kept the name and hot pink license plate signs.

boatpi

Reaction score
ANY vehicle sold by a dealer in CA must be shipped via a common carrier with a bill of laden to avoid tax. Private sales do not matter, just drive it off.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I believe it changed ownership within the past couple of years, but kept the name and hot pink license plate signs.
That entire town of Kellogg must hate that dealership because the salesman told me to get on down the road and don't stay in town unless I leave the truck at the dealership. I already had reservations in Missoula so I didn't bother to get the skinny.

BAS

Reaction score
Daughters Audi was purchased out of Oxnard Audi and I shipped it up to our home in OR to avoid sales tax.

Used @BAS from here.

Used @BAS from here.
If anyone ever wants a quote, just put rdp and your screen name on the referral section. Thanks for the referral!

Brian

boatpi

Reaction score
I want to warn everybody here about buying used cars from dealerships in California the ones that don’t have any license plates or have a brand new series plate issued to it are very likely from out of state rust stuff and flood stuff for the titles washed off