WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CAD software??

bonesfab

Reaction score
So I have some experience with 2-d cad from my plasma cam table. Now I want to step it up and get into the 3-d part of it. I am looking at 3d scanners and will probably step up and buy a printer too for making small parts around the shop.. What's the consensus among those in the know. I know Solid works and mastercam but don't quite have that budget for this. Fusion 360 or I heard of Plasticity as decent. Input please.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
So I have some experience with 2-d cad from my plasma cam table. Now I want to step it up and get into the 3-d part of it. I am looking at 3d scanners and will probably step up and buy a printer too for making small parts around the shop.. What's the consensus among those in the know. I know Solid works and mastercam but don't quite have that budget for this. Fusion 360 or I heard of Plasticity as decent. Input please.
I can appreciate the convenience of doing what you are after in house, but the learning curve is steep. I think I would take a first step of finding someone who you can subcontract that work to - scanning, modeling, printing - in your local area, and see how much you utilize the service?

Here is a 3D cad option. $1000 for 1 seat.

I do not have experience with it yet, but have read it is a good lower cost alternative to the bigger names and is on the top of my list to buy. I just literally got my new laptop setup yesterday and will be downloading a trial version when I have my next platform fabrication project ready to go into shop drawings. In my case, I don't need all of the gnarly surface modeling capabilities the bigger names offer or fancy complex rendering. My needs of a 3D modeling software is visual representation of a product (structural steel) and spatial planning. It is also much more efficient modeling in 3D that creating 2D shop drawings and drawing multiple views and double checking all clearances/interferences manually. I have been using 2D cad for almost 20 years for drafting, and have 3D modeling experience from university so I understand the jist of how to create parts/assemblies and the learning curve shouldn't be too steep for me.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
If you're fully committed, start with selecting your 3d printer and work backwards with the guidance of the folks selling it. I've never printed. I do use a plasma table at work though. I draw 2D in CAD, save as .dxf, then have to use another program to create the .tap file for the table to run. Would be sweet if I could eliminate the middle man/program, but at this point its not worth it since its not something I do a ton. I wasn't the one that set the system up, I learned how to use the system from the guy that set it up originally, and just keep doing what we've always done. Get the input from the sales rep about the best software that works with their hardware for your needs.

bonesfab

Reaction score
If you're fully committed, start with selecting your 3d printer and work backwards with the guidance of the folks selling it. I've never printed. I do use a plasma table at work though. I draw 2D in CAD, save as .dxf, then have to use another program to create the .tap file for the table to run. Would be sweet if I could eliminate the middle man/program, but at this point its not worth it since its not something I do a ton. I wasn't the one that set the system up, I learned how to use the system from the guy that set it up originally, and just keep doing what we've always done. Get the input from the sales rep about the best software that works with their hardware for your needs.
The 2d dxf stuff I have down pretty good. I want to start making parts and assembling them in cad and make sure everything fits. I have a project I am wanting to do as an educational deal for me and shop girl. I have a chevy shorty van and most of the parts laying around to do it. turbo ls swap, awd, irs, c4 die mags and c6 spindles. I want to scan it all and put it together before I waste a bunch of metal. I got shop girl using the plasma table and she can do the basics with 2d, so this is the next step.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Been a Fusion 360 user since it came out ten years ago, it's come a long way and is amazing today, I get an early adopter annual deal of $300 for all the features Use it for 3d model design that goes into various CNC devices: mill, lathe, laser engraver, 3d printer.

bocco

Reaction score
You might look at if some of the packages offer free software to students. Then you can sign up for a remote course at the local community college. All you need is a student ID. I know guys that have done this with PCB layout software.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Fusion360 is a good one for what you want to do another good one is Bobcad. solidworks is nice too, but can get PRICEY quick. as someone else said, find the printer that fits your needs and ask them what they recommend, it would suck to buy 2 products that arent cheap and dont play well with each other. @bocco is on a good track too, thats how i got my mastercam seat years ago.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
We use Fusion 360 and FreeCAD for 3-D work, DraftSight for 2-D. All play well in the sandbox together.

Reaction score
We own a solidworks version outright without having to renew. Purchased around 2019 was just under 3k I believe. To me solidworks is the easiest cad software I've used. Fusion 360 is good but not as user friendly IMO. I purchased the CAM fusion 360 and was able to pick it up fairly quickly and there are a ton of how to videos that help. Benefit with fusion CAM is you can unsubscribe whenever and just renew for the month if you need the CAM feature

lenmann

Reaction score
As others have said, Fusion360 for the win. If you are already doing 2d stuff and can think/visualize stuff in 3d then the transition will be pretty easy.

I have used Alibre for close to 20 years, and its what I used on my Schiada project. I decided to give Fusion 360 a try a year or so and found it to be intuitive and easy to use. If I was starting from scratch or doing my own CNC stuff I would definitely make the switch.

joecfd1

Reaction score
I started with a 2d program called Ashlar Vellum back in the late 80’s. It’s now Ashlar Graphite. I used Autocad in the 90’s but I hated that. I’ve been using Solidworks for the past 10 years or so. It’s by far the most powerful of any program I’ve used. I’m probably not even scratching the surface of the limits of that program. I also have Vectorworks and Rhino as I worked in the entertainment industry before I retired and those two are probably the most popular for that crowd . If Solidworks is within your budget, that would be my vote.

The Arsenal!
IMG_8986.jpeg

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Been a Fusion 360 user since it came out ten years ago, it's come a long way and is amazing today, I get an early adopter annual deal of $300 for all the features Use it for 3d model design that goes into various CNC devices: mill, lathe, laser engraver, 3d printer.

Yeah this is the easiest way to try out something.

The Lathe CAM part sucks. If it actually allowed toolpath manipulation I'd buy it. Seems all the development focus is on Mill CAM.

The CAD environment is easy to use and not intimidating for a beginner.

Rennsport

Reaction score
Fusion360 probably best bet - most bang for the buck - also has CAM / machine code capabilities. Solidworks next step up - great for unfolding sheet metal parts not so great for surfacing work. Fusion not as intuitive as SW - but practically free compared to SW. If you can qualify for a student license of SW - also a great deal to pursue.

BingerFang

Reaction score
I’m certified in Mastercam, Solidworks, and Gibbscam. Fusion360 FTW.