WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bound to happen some day / Debit card fraud

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Logged into my account this afternoon to check on money coming and going to the business and learned that I had a hell of a time in Vegas this weekend.

Wells Fargo was good about it, reversed the charges while they investigate and picked up a new debit card at the branch nearby. They used it at Circle K's all over the Vegas area.

It's irritating though that there are simultaneous charges on my account in Vegas and in Havasu and they don't call or cancel the card. But if I mess up my pin once or twice after a few beers my card gets suspended in an instant.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I can totally relate. This has happened to me numerous times over the years.

Logged into my account this afternoon to check on money coming and going to the business and learned that I had a hell of a time in Vegas this weekend.

Wells Fargo was good about it, reversed the charges while they investigate and picked up a new debit card at the branch nearby. They used it at Circle K's all over the Vegas area.

It's of irritating though that there are simultaneous charges on my account in Vegas and in Havasu and they don't call or cancel the card. But if I mess up my pin once or twice after a few beers my card gets suspended in an instant.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I'm on my third debit card through BofA this year. They always note weird stuff, send me a text and email and I get a new card in the mail the next day. No matter what, I don't keep much in my personal accounts though.

catman

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen last Friday.The wife and I were driving to Parker and i received a email from B of A.It said they stopped my wifes card and to call.When we arrived i check online and sure as shit they tried to charge around $ 1,000.00 in IL.They only were able to get one charge in at Wendys before they put a hold on the card.I am just glad that B of A caught it before they drained that account... FUCKING THIEVES!!!!!!!

Yellowboat

Reaction score
funny every single time my gets stolen its always done in vegas.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had this happen with my Wells Fargo debit card in December. The customer service rep was so incredibly useless and rude that I wanted to reach through my cel phone and choke her. She just kept saying that she didn't know anything about the fraudulent charges and only had the amounts. I excused myself from that conversation and called back to get someone else and got the info I needed. Ugh.

Capital One closed our credit cards last week and FedEx'd new ones because the old ones were compromised. Glad they seem to be on top of it.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I got a call from USAA once, someone had my physical card in New York.

I was in Seattle at the time on business, and my physical card was in my pocket...so someone skimmed my card number and reproduced the actual card across the country.

Tackleberry

Reaction score
Exact reason I use a credit card for all my day to day purchases, and pay it off every billing cycle. If there's a fraud situation with the credit card you don't end up with frozen assets like with a debit card, and you can bet your ass it will take longer than you'd like to get sorted. A bonus is using a credit card with nice rewards, racked up almost a $1000 in points last year with a Citi Double Cash card.

Chopperman

Reaction score
B of A was pissing me off for a while but all in all they really did protect me. I travel between Cali and Europe/Middle East very frequently and I've had about 15 different cards in the last 5 years. Some of the charges could've been bad for me, but the bank made good. It is a pain in the ass though when you are on vacation and they shut your card down. I'm in top of it now and have all countries that I travel to listed, and they get updated every 3 months. Works out well now.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I got a replacement credit card last Thursday and by Saturday they sent me a email saying card had been compromised, only thing i used it for was online to purchase a airline ticket.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Exact reason I use a credit card for all my day to day purchases, and pay it off every billing cycle. If there's a fraud situation with the credit card you don't end up with frozen assets like with a debit card, and you can bet your ass it will take longer than you'd like to get sorted. A bonus is using a credit card with nice rewards, racked up almost a $1000 in points last year with a Citi Double Cash card.

That hasn't been my experience with USAA and my debit cards. It's been treated exactly as a credit card, and they put the money back into my account immediately.

Are other banks different?

Tackleberry

Reaction score
That hasn't been my experience with USAA and my debit cards. It's been treated exactly as a credit card, and they put the money back into my account immediately.

Are other banks different?

I guess the situation i'm talking about is more getting your entire account compromised, someone would need the pin number obviously. But think about this, thousands of debit card numbers and pins were compromised with the Target and Home Depot debacles. I was part of the Home Depot fuck up, and was given 2 free years of Lifelock. I just don't like having that information on file at numerous places anymore. But to answer your question, if your debit card is being ran as credit, yes it should be easier to recoup the funds, but your actual assets will be affected until it's cleared up.

Tinkerer

Reaction score
That is why I use credit cards for daily purchases and pay it off every month. I also have my alerts set to $.99 so every time I use my personal or business cards I get an Email alert. Every time the card is used on line I get an alert.
Someone skimmed my business card last spring and ran up $1400 at Home Depot and $500 next door at Walmart. The bank computer called me when they used it at Wallmart because I never use that card there.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
My AMEX was cancelled last Thursday just as I was leaving for a trip. Someone tried to buy $957 worth of clothing in LA and later tried to purchase some fast food with it. No issues with AMEX regarding the charges.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
My wife got hit about 6 months ago or so.

I checked the account one day and noticed something odd.

I asked her "how were you able to buy gas in Perris and buy something at Disneyland within a couple of hours?"

She said she never was in Perris. Called it in. Wells Fargo did an investigation and sent her a new card. Money reimbursed.

I haven't been hit yet ... but I'm sure it's a natter of time. Fuckers.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
My wife got hit about 6 months ago or so.

I checked the account one day and noticed something odd.

I asked her "how were you able to buy gas in Perris and buy something at Disneyland within a couple of hours?"

She said she never was in Perris. Called it in. Wells Fargo did an investigation and sent her a new card. Money reimbursed.

I haven't been hit yet ... but I'm sure it's a natter of time. Fuckers.

Damn....when she's going to kick it with Sancho, you're easy to convince otherwise. :D

Yellowboat

Reaction score
My AMEX was cancelled last Thursday just as I was leaving for a trip. Someone tried to buy $957 worth of clothing in LA and later tried to purchase some fast food with it. No issues with AMEX regarding the charges.

its why my only card is amx. happened too me 3 times in the last 5 years. every single time I got a call saying are you here?

with my visa, nope... i would get a random decline, call them up and say your limit was maxed out. um wtf it was 175k, how the hell was it maxed out, i just paid it off.

worst it ever was was 78k in 4 hours.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I had my account cleaned out a few years ago on Christmas Eve....they left me a bit less than $5. Kinda sucked asking around at the X-mas party for gas money to get home, but I made it. I've been hit twice on a debit card and once in a credit card. I pay cash for most things now.

Don't bother following up and doing your own investigation in hopes of finding out who fucked you. The cops don't give a shit, the last place you used your card doesn't give a shit, you'll just end up with an assault or homicide charge whilst all your money is still gone. Call the bank, tell 'em what happened, get your money back and move on....that's the modern world.

bunkrepair

Reaction score
I have gotten a few times! First time was 12k. Second time was only 800$ and the third time was 7k. I swear it's havasu gas stations

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
funny every single time my gets stolen its always done in vegas.
I just happened to me for the first time ever while I was in Vegas. Luckily it was my corporate CCW and not my debit card. It had to be on of the taxi drivers.

Edit: mine was a visa. They cancelled the card the next morning and I was still on business travel. It was a pain.

wishiknew

Reaction score

It's irritating though that there are simultaneous charges on my account in Vegas and in Havasu and they don't call or cancel the card. But if I mess up my pin once or twice after a few beers my card gets suspended in an instant.

Last Saturday I went to a tire shop and drove home between that time someone at circle k in Las Vegas charged 99 dollars I call Wells Fargo and start a fraud deal and while I am on the phone with the fraud guy he tells me they just did it again and they used my pin WTF so new card

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Last Saturday I went to a tire shop and drove home between that time someone at circle k in Las Vegas charged 99 dollars I call Wells Fargo and start a fraud deal and while I am on the phone with the fraud guy he tells me they just did it again and they used my pin WTF so new card

So, what's the deal with the chip thing? I've had mine for a few months now and have used the chip exactly once. I thought businesses were gonna be on the hook for fraudulent charges if they weren't up to date with the card readers.

wishiknew

Reaction score
So, what's the deal with the chip thing? I've had mine for a few months now and have used the chip exactly once. I thought businesses were gonna be on the hook for fraudulent charges if they weren't up to date with the card readers.

I don't know about the chip but the crook had a card and my pin this is not good the fraud guy said gas stations are the most likely place they got the info

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Uuum mm I just use my card as credit and never debit. Maybe I'm just lucky or too broke. :D

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
They usually take small amounts as to not be caught they took 99 dollars and 98 dollars next

Yea...but a pin was used right? MeaNing they obtained it somehow someway. Minimize using a pin via debit transactions.....decrease the chances.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have had this happen a few different times with Wells Fargo and now I am on a "fraud protection alert program" of some sort. I am supposed to call WF anytime I plan on traveling outside or my normal area. I can count at least a handful of times where I stopped in Barstow at the truck stop to get diesel in my truck and after waiting in line find out that my card is declined. Not only is it frustrating to me but I look like "that guy" in the front of the line who cant afford to get home. So I then proceed to go outside and scream at the WF rep. I realize its for "my protection" but what a fucking joke.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I dont use my debit or credit card at gas stations anymore after being hit a few times. I buy Shell and Chevron gift cards from the local school and use those through the year.

I don't know about the chip but the crook had a card and my pin this is not good the fraud guy said gas stations are the most likely place they got the info

shueman

Reaction score
I dont use my debit or credit card at gas stations anymore after being hit a few times. I buy Shell and Chevron gift cards from the local school and use those through the year.

Good idea here ^^^^ :thumbsup

We've got our WF cards screwed down pretty tight ... I have to notify them when I'm leaving for AZ or beyond else the deny everything ... anything out of our "normal" history, they call right away. :cool

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My sil gets her debit card hacked a couple times a year.

I've told her many times that as long as she keeps using it like a credit card it's going to happen.

I ONLY use mine to get cash...period.

Gas pumps and hotels seem to be the worst place.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
FYI

if you heading on vacation out of state or the country...let your CC company know....it will save some headache when they cancel your card while on vacation....

Meaney77

Reaction score
My sil gets her debit card hacked a couple times a year.

I've told her many times that as long as she keeps using it like a credit card it's going to happen.

I ONLY use mine to get cash...period.

Gas pumps and hotels seem to be the worst place.

I am bad with cash, if its in my pocket, I spend it. I use my ATM card for just about everything.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Citi Bank notified me last week that someone was trying to use my card in Vegas. The card has a chip so their transaction was denied.
Citi overnighted a new card to me the following day. :thumbsup

I would NEVER use a debit card for anything. :thumbsdown
Why give crooks access to your hard earned $$ ????

jones performance

Reaction score
got a letter from tax slayer about a data breach. then the irs sent me letter asking me to call them or go online to verify my info. sure enough a 1040 ez form was e-filed with my info for 2015. apparently there was a refund waiting to be sent out. however i havent filed my taxes yet this year.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
The didn't call you because they use an incredibly sophisticated and accurate algorithm to trend spending habits and locations. Obviously you have quite a few "hell of a weekend in Vegas" type scenarios :D:D

I've had my corporate cards compromised a couple times. One trip 3 of my colleagues were staying at the same hotel and dining at the same place. All three were skimmed/compromised. Pretty obvious it was fraudulent.

My wife had her checking account compromised before we got married. I've been pretty lucky so far. It's a real hassle and I have empathy for you. Sad thing is that very few of the banks will even investigate it so it goes unpunished and as consumers we pay the price. :grumble:

Good luck... :thumbsup

PVHCA

Reaction score
I don't have a Debit Card, well I do but it's my son's and I only make deposits for him. I use my AMEX and a MC, the MC got compromised over the holidays, $800 and change at Wal-Marts in Texas and Louisiana. I use cash as often as possible. My business is Platinum Certified and I have NEVER had a charge back or a fraud issue in 20 years and I process a bit via CC's.

rrrr

Reaction score
I got a replacement credit card last Thursday and by Saturday they sent me a email saying card had been compromised, only thing i used it for was online to purchase a airline ticket.

That happened to me a few months ago. I ordered a new card because I thought someone had copied the card info, and I got it the next day. Two days later the new card had two of those $2 and change "test" charges on it, both supposedly from a shoe store. The scammers push the $2 charge to see if it pays, and if it does they hammer the card.

In my case the bank caught the fraudulent charges. They sent me "did you make this transaction" texts and I replied no. They cancelled the card and sent me a new one the next day, so I'm pretty happy with their security measures.