WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bonneville live feed

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have wanted to go but my friend that has raced there said it is boring in person. Slow to get up to speed and then you can't see anything. Also the salt destroys everything. His team trashed 2 RV's.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I have wanted to go but my friend that has raced there said it is boring in person. Slow to get up to speed and then you can't see anything. Also the salt destroys everything. His team trashed 2 RV's.
I respectfully disagree with your friend. If you’re a gear head, Bonneville is the holy grail and a must see in person.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
My buddy is there now, first year running a twin turbo gen 4 camero he built. He sent these to me 2 days ago

Attachments

• 744479284.jpg
    744479284.jpg
    862.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    965.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 0

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
True, sort of. Not a spectator sport like going to the night of destruction at a half mile oval. But it’s the last place where an amateur can build a car in his garage, and be the fastest in the world in his class. To go to oneplace.and see everything from A 50 cc motorcycle thingy, to a 400 mile an hour car can be pretty entertaining.
Just started off doing record backup runs this morning. Lots of numbers falling. Better feed also.

Reactions: TBI

Brian

Reaction score
Never heard that from anyone who's been.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
I pretty much stopped taking pics out there because there are so many professional photographers there that share their photos on the Facebook LSR (Land Speed Racing) pages. My pics suck in comparison 🙄 some of the pages you need to join to view the pics, not a big deal and so worth it!

Here's links to some of them

Last edited:

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with your friend. If you’re a gear head, Bonneville is the holy grail and a must see in person.
I concur. I towed a RZR out there a few years back to cruise around the area and it was an epic day. So many interesting things to see. Also the hot rod show in town is pretty cool as well.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I just got back. Hotter than blazes this year!

Salt was great. Lots of records dropped.

Hard to see cars running but you can sure hear the big dogs run. You can see them good enough to see how fast they are going. The short course is harder to see because it farther away.

The best show is in the pits though. Also tech, impound and the starting line. The cool thing about Bonneville is the pits are wide open, the racers have a lot of down time and are willing to talk to you and show you about anything you want on their cars. Even the top guys like George Poteet (RIP) will talk to you. That doesn't happen at any other type of racing.

There are a ton of crazy combinations guys build to try to get a record. There was a Volkswagen Passat that looked bone stock that ran 234 MPH!

Photos to follow.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
This little Crosley pick-up has a 1.5 liter Renault diesel in it, I goes like 150 mph or some crazy shit

IMG20240804135335.jpg

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
"Camped" at the bend In The Road. I messed up and grabbed my small generator thinking it would be quieter. It was but it was also not powerful enough to run the AC and kept kicking off so I roast my ass off every night. :mad: Did I mention that it was hot there? Mornings were nice though.

IMG_4295.JPG
IMG_4314.JPG

Went to The Nugget to check out the car show. Saw this boat so had to check it out. I see these radiators in the back and thinking why would any one run radiators in a boat for? Then I see the V drive is all the way under the dashboard and was wondering why when the owner started telling me about it. Boat is attached to trailer, V drive goes to a 9" Ford on the trailer. Look at front of trailer and you'll see electric actuator for steering. He can drive the thing down the road!

IMG_4299.JPG
IMG_4300.JPG
IMG_4301.JPG

joecfd1

Reaction score
Bonneville separates the men from the boys. I‘ve lost two good friends while racing up there. Sam Wheeler 72 (my nextdoor neighbor) in 2016 while trying to go 400mph on a two wheeled bike and Ralph Hudson 69 in 2020 (co-worker from the 80’s) searching for 300mph, again on a two wheeled bike.

IMG_4059.jpeg
IMG_4058.jpeg

Last edited:

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
Lots of cool cars running around. This fenderless Essex was running license plate mud (salt) guards and a cool home built trailer.

IMG_4335.JPG
IMG_4337.JPG
IMG_4338.JPG
IMG_4339.JPG
IMG_4340.JPG
IMG_4341.JPG
IMG_4342.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4343.JPG
    IMG_4343.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4344.JPG
    IMG_4344.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4345.JPG
    IMG_4345.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0

Tom Slick

Reaction score
Speed Demon ran 446mph on the down run yesterday and stuck it in the mud after a parachute failure. The team got the car back to impound, cleaned it up and the driver is strapping in now to make the second trip for the record. Existing record is 416mph BTW.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
Well if it's got a OHV conversion, then it's not really a flathead anymore...

Well, it's a custom aluminum replica of a flathead block (technically called a side valve) with Ardun heads. Is that specific enough for you? Geez!

Brian

Reaction score
If you put AFR heads on your BBC, does that mean it’s not really a Chevy anymore….
No it still is. But when you totally change the engine/cylinder head design, then I have a hard time calling it what it originally was. Is a BBC that has Arias hemi style heads still a conventional BBC?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
No it still is. But when you totally change the engine/cylinder head design, then I have a hard time calling it what it originally was. Is a BBC that has Arias hemi style heads still a conventional BBC?
Oh well now you want to add “conventional “? Then I guess it’s not.
The same way an LS is not a small block.