WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boats & Gel Coat.. Had a few scratches soooo..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don't get it.. I watch guys with boats all the time that pull up to docks, and I'd describe the scene as more of a slow speed crash than an actual docking procedure. I watch guys like Lee at Schiada walk right down a sandy beach right onto the deck of their bazillion dollar boats and moon walk right back into the cockpit and the things always look showroom. Then I'll watch them take it right over to a bar with bolts and nails hanging out the side of the dock, not use one fender and tie the thing off with the one rope they have in the boat (usually a ski line) and nothing ever happens.. I realize this sounds like a joke, but I'm actually being serious. LOL

Then you got me, if you have ever been in a boat with me I'll put it on the dock perfectly every time. I got fenders that are properly sized for Paul Allen's yacht.. I'm super cautious about any sand, no shoes on the boat, making sure the boat is perfectly parallel. No matter what I'll always end up with something, doesn't matter how hard I try. Over the years I just kind of learned that it's easier just to have a gel guy you can work with. Hence the reason why when my double throw down paranoid friends say "You beach your boat?" My response is always "I got a gel guy."

It's the end of the "traditional" boating season for 2018 (we boat year round), and it's time to do some clean up on both boats and get them ready for next season. My Hallett took a freakin beating this summer, and spending a month in the water down in Parker didn't help.

97F6A576-47F1-4114-9821-EC6C7691010C.jpeg
5ADD6B07-7687-4CC4-AA52-D482FBD9D90A.jpeg
D213C4AC-D0A4-4F2D-9DF6-4368D0BE2912.jpeg
A69F385A-2512-4668-8816-5F194FF895BF.jpeg

Each scratch has a story, and each one pisses me off to no end, but that's tales for the barstool, not the boards.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
what if I told you guys there is a magic eraser for Gel now?

373B56DC-4D02-4779-873A-FDD6CE00761C.jpeg
F9496078-FF38-4982-942B-FF63B2E8332A.jpeg
C6B8FF12-903A-44E1-A55A-45AD6713C2CF.jpeg
83235278-5231-4A03-A8A3-8EF98648F6F4.jpeg
900A0F70-69FA-4F4A-8914-99D4E07A2F12.jpeg

You see what ya do is you call Pedro over at Saleen and he’s going to magically erase your friends and dock crew’s mistakes. Lol. 928-855-0877

Of course it also erases a little bit of money out of your bank account but your OCD and sanity will be restored. :D.

Now my problem is I have new gel and the rest of the boat doesn’t look as perfect so I have decided to just re-gel all of the colors this winter. That’s going to make for a pretty interesting thread as pulling the rub rail on this is going to be a task to say the least. I’m hoping I don’t have to pull the motors to get to the rear.

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
well you're not the only one.

I feel the same way. The harder I try, the more shit gets fucked up....

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
well you're not the only one.

I feel the same way. The harder I try, the more shit gets fucked up....

Honestly my little intro there isn't a joke. I handle my shit with white gloves and diapers, and it seems all the guys I know just ram it into a dock, walk off with their shoes followed by their dog doing a scooby doo impersonation across the deck.. LOL I'm like WTF? There's looks perfect even under garage lights. I'm out here blind as a bat and I can see micro scratches all over my damn boat!

RD

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
..... Then you got me, if you have ever been in a boat with me I'll put it on the dock perfectly every time.

Maybe you should quit putting it on the dock and next to it instead with said giant fenders.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Seems like the better I take care of stuff the more irritated I get with imperfections

Is there a magic eraser to get that wood looking better too? :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Are you changing the colors?

I'm going to ditch the yellow and purple and make the boat entirely the red it is with a fade.. Part of me might switch it and make it burgandy with greys to it matches the Schiada though. Haven't decided, just went over it with Pedro a little bit when I was picking up the boat, and he gave me a price I can't turn down. That said he said I have to bring it with no rub rail.. LOL and that's gonna be a mofo.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Seems like the better I take care of stuff the more irritated I get with imperfections

Yes there is! It's call remove and replace with SeaDeck or Gatorstep. :D

RD

oldschool

Reaction score
I'm going to ditch the yellow and purple and make the boat entirely the red it is with a fade.. Part of me might switch it and make it burgandy with greys to it matches the Schiada though. Haven't decided, just went over it with Pedro a little bit when I was picking up the boat, and he gave me a price I can't turn down. That said he said I have to bring it with no rub rail.. LOL and that's gonna be a mofo.

RD
I'm sure either choice will look good, but I really like burgundy and greys thought.

Rondog4405

Reaction score

View attachment 700685 View attachment 700686 View attachment 700687 View attachment 700688 View attachment 700689

You see what ya do is you call Pedro over at Saleen and he’s going to magically erase your friends and dock crew’s mistakes. Lol. 928-855-0877

Of course it also erases a little bit of money out of your bank account but your OCD and sanity will be restored. :D.

Now my problem is I have new gel and the rest of the boat doesn’t look as perfect so I have decided to just re-gel all of the colors this winter. That’s going to make for a pretty interesting thread as pulling the run tail on this is going to be a task to say the least. I’m hoping I don’t have to pull the motors to get to the rear.
Thats exactly what i do too!.. Hes da man

mitch6601

HMFIC
Reaction score

Teak oil - you can even get it at wallyworld if you so desire.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Still working on the docking procedure with the boat. Being my first real boat (aluminum with tiller outboards don't count as "real"). My boat is not as perfect as I would like it. Then again that is why I bought a 20 year old production boat. The wife and I are learning and getting better but it is still a learning process.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Now my problem is I have new gel and the rest of the boat doesn’t look as perfect so I have decided to just re-gel all of the colors this winter. That’s going to make for a pretty interesting thread as pulling the run tail on this is going to be a task to say the least. I’m hoping I don’t have to pull the motors to get to the rear.

RD
RUB RAIL!! Now I get it, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what a run tail is.

McKay

Reaction score
HAHA, same here. I feel like I know quite a bit of shit about boats, but no way in hell I was going to ask a stupid question, Like what's a run tail?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What I have learned here is don't ever let Dave try to dock your boat.

Oh I'd wager anyone that's been in a boat with me will vouch for my skills in just about anything around the docks.. LOL There's not much you can do when your floating there and someone grabs a rope and pulls it right into a metal framed dock. Like I said each has a story and I know em, I just figured I'll get it fixed and call it a day. Sucks when my kids are better dock hands then some adults. :D

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

RUB RAIL!! Now I get it, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what a run tail is.

May the guy that invented auto correct wrought in Hello!

RD

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I can relate to dock rash this year [emoji20] 13k to fix a bad night in a dock.

It didn’t help my 23 year old gel when it sat outside the entire time it was being repaired either. I can’t afford to have it re-gel’d, so it’s gonna get another round of color sanding and buffing... hopefully there’s enough left on it to do 1 more time.

And as far as the beaching, all I can say is “Keel Guard” [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gqchris

Reaction score
Pedro used to be the best kept “secret” when I first used him 4 years ago. Noone on the board even blinked an eye because be wasnt in the Kustom club. I started praising his work and pumping him to my friends. He started getting popular. And you know the rest of this typical Havasu story right? You got it. No more call backs and to busy for us regulars anymore. Oh well.

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Pedro will be using is magic eraser on mine this winter as well. Like you said Dave, no matter how much I try shit happens but nothing a little money won't fix. Life is too short and a day on the water is too precious to me to get all bent out of shape over it. At least that is what I keep telling myself! :D

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
years and years of being extra careful at the docks and raft tie ups (wouldn't tie up). Beach the boat, no problem, small rocks, ok, we gonna regel anyway every few years. But those painted rub rails on my last boat were always pampered! A couple scratches here and there when a guest on the boat didn't know my level of expectations (sacrifice your leg or arm before I take a scratch from a dock) just didn't understand Break Out Another Thousand. When my wife heard me say, "great... there goes another thousand bucks for paint" is when I finally started getting some attention. The problem with gel coat scratches is its usually painted to match, not gel coated over. When your scratch is in a blend of color it can be truly tricky to paint to match. And can be expensive AF when the scratch goes thru a pin line and into more than one color. I would be pissed and then just have to get over it, cost of boating and having fun is what I would tell myself. That boat is gone now and so far, the new boat hasn't been as stressful, but I still have the same level of crazy bitch clean and don't hesitate to keep the dock from hitting us. Note, the magic eraser works well on scuffs, but isn't gonna make the color come back in a deep scratch.

So RD, instead of trying to match that red... paint over the yellow and purple with a grey or silver, maybe a black pin line. gonna be pricey I think but would achieve the look that I think you are seeking better.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
years and years of being extra careful at the docks and raft tie ups (wouldn't tie up). Beach the boat, no problem, small rocks, ok, we gonna regel anyway every few years. But those painted rub rails on my last boat were always pampered! A couple scratches here and there when a guest on the boat didn't know my level of expectations (sacrifice your leg or arm before I take a scratch from a dock) just didn't understand Break Out Another Thousand. When my wife heard me say, "great... there goes another thousand bucks for paint" is when I finally started getting some attention. The problem with gel coat scratches is its usually painted to match, not gel coated over. When your scratch is in a blend of color it can be truly tricky to paint to match. And can be expensive AF when the scratch goes thru a pin line and into more than one color. I would be pissed and then just have to get over it, cost of boating and having fun is what I would tell myself. That boat is gone now and so far, the new boat hasn't been as stressful, but I still have the same level of crazy bitch clean and don't hesitate to keep the dock from hitting us. Note, the magic eraser works well on scuffs, but isn't gonna make the color come back in a deep scratch.

So RD, instead of trying to match that red... paint over the yellow and purple with a grey or silver, maybe a black pin line. gonna be pricey I think but would achieve the look that I think you are seeking better.

Not sure if you read my posts.. the magic eraser was a gel shop. It’s already fixed. I am going to regel all the red and over the yellow and purple later

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
123C8104-21CC-443F-9A09-4EB29F7937FE.jpeg
Pedro is a god around my house. Even the baus lady will make Pedro comments. He’s saved my ass more than once, i call him more than a guy i call when my shit needs fixed he’s a real friend to me!

Hullbilly

Reaction score
Pedro used to be the best kept “secret” when I first used him 4 years ago. Noone on the board even blinked an eye because be wasnt in the Kustom club. I started praising his work and pumping him to my friends. He started getting popular. And you know the rest of this typical Havasu story right? You got it. No more call backs and to busy for us regulars anymore. Oh well.

He’s a solid guy, did full regel on my boat in 2013....I like you have nothing but good things to say about him and his crew. My favorite stops in the shop were when his pops was there.

Boat 405

Reaction score

View attachment 700685 View attachment 700686 View attachment 700687 View attachment 700688 View attachment 700689

Now my problem is I have new gel and the rest of the boat doesn’t look as perfect so I have decided to just re-gel all of the colors this winter. That’s going to make for a pretty interesting thread as pulling the rub rail on this is going to be a task to say the least. I’m hoping I don’t have to pull the motors to get to the rear.
Kevin at KMG is my gel guy. He can fix things that seem impossible. He’s doing my 25’ Daytona as we speak. I should see it back before the holidays. Half cap, fix a bunch of holes and minor dings nicks and scratches. I’ll post up soon

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Kevin at KMG is my gel guy. He can fix things that seem impossible. He’s doing my 25’ Daytona as we speak. I should see it back before the holidays. Half cap, fix a bunch of holes and minor dings nicks and scratches. I’ll post up soon

Kevin is about as good as they get in the gel biz!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If y

If you have pride in your boat yes you will.
You have probably never seen my Hallett Mini Cruiser Jet, RD has.
If not keep it on the trailer.

I could get a john boat and I would still be like this. Lol. I have tried the buy something you don’t care about method, it doesn’t help.. I just end up spending a bazillion dollars on it to make it into something I like and want perfect.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Hit.the nail on the head dave
..i.had some.nasty gouges on my old ultra... And in bad spots. Pedro never promised it would be great.. And a few.dollars later.it.was almost perfect. .and almost was more than acceptable to me! My brother just got his keel redone on his 210.. Service was.above and beyond expectation!

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Oh I'd wager anyone that's been in a boat with me will vouch for my skills in just about anything around the docks.. LOL There's not much you can do when your floating there and someone grabs a rope and pulls it right into a metal framed dock. Like I said each has a story and I know em, I just figured I'll get it fixed and call it a day. Sucks when my kids are better dock hands then some adults. :D

RD
This

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I could get a john boat and I would still be like this. Lol. I have tried the buy something you don’t care about method, it doesn’t help.. I just end up spending a bazillion dollars on it to make it into something I like and want perfect.
It gets a shit ton more simple when you stop worrying about what others see or think.
The one task I dislike and have yet to master with the deckboat is putting it in a slip. Focking hate it......and backing it in? Yeah, that ain't something you wanna witness either, trainwreck. I literally have to squeeze tiny 6 inch fenders into pancakes to park at the Springs, more or less it's a wedging procedure.
The only saving grace is so far it's only been Magic Erase-able rubber dock scuffs .

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Mehhh..... Just get a beater and remind yourself its a beater and your life has so much less stress in it then.

RD
Id love to see you dock my boat.... With no reverse.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

rush1

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I was docking at Topock 66 trying to be super careful ,I ended up playing ping pong off of the docks, no matter how hard I tried I just bounced back and forth from side to side, pissed me off so much and I'm only talking a 23 foot boat! Some days just suck :mad::(

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Pedro ripped me off, Pedro's a con artist and a theif!

Here's the work he "did" taking my money
https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/gelcoat-info-needed.180033/#post-3046910
I am sure like all stories there’s more to this one. Sucks that you’re boat isn’t done correctly but with everything I’ve personally had him do this does t sound like Pedro at all. Shit he bugged me over and over again to get my boat back to him on a job he did for me.
When he filled two 2 5/8” holes in my dash the gel shrank some afterwards leaving a faint trace of the work, i paid 500$ originally for the work and was totally happy with the work then he wouldn’t accept anything for redoing it even though he also did four little spots on the other side of my boat.