WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat with dodge hell cat motor

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Raptors and hellcats are being used in the wakeboard boats

wzuber

Reaction score
why??? how much $ and disappointment can you stand to waist to be the "first".

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if these boosted gas engines could survive under the duty cycle of a boat.

But the LSA engine seems to be in a lot of boats and I don’t recall hearing about trouble with them...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
A whole different world that a boat lives in than an automobile.

guest hs

Reaction score
Sure would like to see who marinized a Hell cat engine and what boats they are being put in. Seen several Raptors and LSA motors in boats. A Ford Coyote engine would be cool too.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I run through many of the cool what if's on many modern motors.
Then The BBC bottom end platform with anything you want to mount on top is for reals.
I'm a Pontiac guy at heart, So I grabbed up some Big chief heads for the icecream getter. Gonna be nice if I live that long. :D

rivrbrat

Reaction score
528 cubic inch hemis. Is that the same as the hellcat hemis? Right. I didn't think so.

Dan'l

Duh They are what Hellcats want to be when they grow up.............I'll take the 528's all day 1200 HP on pump gas..

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Actually the Ram 6.4l 410 hp motor would be a great marine motor

410 hp in epa shit would be close to 500 in a marine application. The 6.4 has oil piston squirters to keep temps down for towing heavy loads. Would be a great motor for ilmor to use to complete with the 8.2 black mercury motor

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
With how much to make it live in a boat? 12-20k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What exactly is Volvo changing to the lsa in a seven outboard. Nothing.

Hellcats have been proven to make 1000rwhp live behind those big ass 4500 lb boats called cars. It would do just fine. And your price is stupid. You know why mercury charges 40k for a bbc. Because people buy it. Not because of cost.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Because a crate hellcat 6.2 707hp motor is 18k complete.
You can get a 572 N.A. from G.M.with way more torque for less than that with the potential of making another couple hundy H.P. for just a few bucks more.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
You can get a 572 N.A. from G.M.with way more torque for less than that with the potential of making another couple hundy H.P. for just a few bucks more.
Also not a modern fuel injected engine let alone supercharged.

The hellcat is one of the best crate motor buys on the market right now regardless that it’s not a marine motor at this time.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
B7ED925B-8379-428C-8588-10A68CEAB7F6.png
Even cheaper then a year ago

hallett21

Reaction score
What exactly is Volvo changing to the lsa in a seven outboard. Nothing.

Hellcats have been proven to make 1000rwhp live behind those big ass 4500 lb boats called cars. It would do just fine. And your price is stupid. You know why mercury charges 40k for a bbc. Because people buy it. Not because of cost.

55k for 600 hp with an out drive & warranty.

Doubt Boost and Teague are any deal in comparison.

I know guys can build power at a fraction of the cost. But whether it’s boats, motors, or tools I’ve found you get what you pay for.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
55k for 600 hp with an out drive & warranty.

Doubt Boost and Teague are any deal in comparison.

I know guys can build power at a fraction of the cost. But whether it’s boats, motors, or tools I’ve found you get what you pay for.

You are comparing a major auto manufacture ISO 9000 certified to some dude in a garage. Yes you get what you pay for. Scale of production means a lot. Let’s not forget that ilmor ran Dodge Viper v10s in Boats in the past.

I’m sorry but some of the marine power stops are just outrageous in what they charge now days. Same in the sand rail business.

Jegs can sell you a factory 505 hp LS7 engine and you go get it from a sand rail company and now their “fancy” lsx is 35k dollars for the same price

hallett21

Reaction score
You are comparing a major auto manufacture ISO 9000 certified to some dude in a garage. Yes you get what you pay for. Scale of production means a lot. Let’s not forget that ilmor ran Dodge Viper v10s in Boats in the past.

I’m sorry but some of the marine power stops are just outrageous in what they charge now days. Same in the sand rail business.

Jegs can sell you a factory 505 hp LS7 engine and you go get it from a sand rail company and now their “fancy” lsx is 35k dollars for the same price

Alright when’s the build thread starting [emoji16]

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Theres a whole generation of boaters turning in there graves right now. All anybody ran was car motors for decades. Chevy ford oldsmobile etc... You wanted a marine motor you bought an outboard lol.

I like the power per dollar ratio. I say run it. Depending on what it comes with you will need a new cam, head gasket, freeze plugs, fuel pump You will want to switch to marine starter, alternator, distibutor. The main thing is gonna be keeping her cool. Closed cooling is what i would go with. Exhaust, etc etc etc... List is long...

wzuber

Reaction score
Not sure why you would when you have Mercury Racing, Boostpower, Teague, etc.

exactly....with all the other well sorted and proven combos of solid reliable power available the only logical reason seems just to be able to say HEYLAM.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Theres a whole generation of boaters turning in there graves right now. All anybody ran was car motors for decades. Chevy ford oldsmobile etc... You wanted a marine motor you bought an outboard lol.

I like the power per dollar ratio. I say run it. Depending on what it comes with you will need a new cam, head gasket, freeze plugs, fuel pump You will want to switch to marine starter, alternator, distibutor. The main thing is gonna be keeping her cool. Closed cooling is what i would go with. Exhaust, etc etc etc... List is long...

Does anybody make headers or a manifold for this?

Id stick with a BBC.

UD

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Funny, seems people get all butt hurt when another person brings up a new idea. I think it would be kick ass to do. Seeing that a Merc 700SCI costs $ 38,000.00 ( off dragon engines website) 15K seems like a steal. Yes it still needs exhaust, but there are great fabricators that can handle that. And yes, it would have that LAM I’m different factor. Pretty sure anyone with a bad ass Vdrive or jet would understand that part. As for not being a boat motor, well a 496 was a completely stock GM engine built by gm, with marine parts added. Same old motor that was offered in a truck, zero difference

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Funny, seems people get all butt hurt when another person brings up a new idea. I think it would be kick ass to do. Seeing that a Merc 700SCI costs $ 38,000.00 ( off dragon engines website) 15K seems like a steal. Yes it still needs exhaust, but there are great fabricators that can handle that. And yes, it would have that LAM I’m different factor. Pretty sure anyone with a bad ass Vdrive or jet would understand that part. As for not being a boat motor, well a 496 was a completely stock GM engine built by gm, with marine parts added. Same old motor that was offered in a truck, zero difference

Butt hurt isnt the right descriptor for me - more like simply being realistic about what it costs to actually get there.

It's totally super cool and would gather crowds - It's not close to 15K though.

Its 15K +++++++++ for all the things that bring it up to par with the merc motor.

That mill is built for something like a 20-30% duty cycle like all car engines.

spectras only

Reaction score
We paid $14K cdn for GM ZZ572 crate engine back in 2005, all marine parts were are available then, still available today. Same engine is still in the boat with around 6-700 hrs.My 2004 377 [6.2] engines from Merc are standard GM blocks with brass freeze plugs added along with a crane billet camshaft and crank. The specs of the 6.2's cam were available way before the 6.2 was a thought, for car engines.;)

The engine [ 1972 LS6 ] in my 1972 Spectra is a standard GM block with only a marine cam replaced back in those days, HP was dropped in favor for longevity. Still have the original engine minus the crank. Crank developed a crack due to over heating [ plastic was sucked up in the scupper for a beef time ] rebuilt the engine with roller rockers added.
LS-6%201

LS-6%20Spectra%20rebuild

Last edited:

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

Why does it need a cam?

spectras only

Reaction score
Here, my friend's 1923 23' Dodge Watercar, running on our lake with its 1958 Dodge Hemi car engine.
What is wrong with using a car engine?;):p:D

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Over transom water jacketed headers? Never heard of them.

Dan'l

I suppose if making an over the transom unit a spray style would work-

Im thinking on an I/O under hatch type - supremely expensive.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I suppose if making an over the transom unit a spray style would work-

Im thinking on an I/O under hatch type - supremely expensive.

Back in the day, there was an adapter plate to run BBC exhaust on a Ford 385 series (460 based) engines. The bore spacing was very close to the same.

The new Hemis should be close to LS or Ford 351 bore spacing. Should be easy enough to fabricate and adapter plate to an exhaust that already exists.

Btw, 351 Ford and LS have the same bore spacing. Or at least close enough to use 351 manifolds (logs and snails) on an LS based engines.

Just my $0.02

Dan'l

JD D05

Reaction score
Butt hurt isnt the right descriptor for me - more like simply being realistic about what it costs to actually get there.

It's totally super cool and would gather crowds - It's not close to 15K though.

Its 15K +++++++++ for all the things that bring it up to par with the merc motor.

That mill is built for something like a 20-30% duty cycle like all car engines.

My bet would be more $ than merc power with lot's of issues.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Why does it need a cam?

Depending on the cam, specifically the duration, along with the exhaust system, a cam change may not be necessary.

Blower motors, with big cams still get away with using logs and snails.

Mercruisers are particularly finicky about idle speed for dropping into gear. I think 800 or 850 is the highest idle rpm you can have, without destroying the drive.

V-drives and jets will tolerate 1000 rpm idle and not hurt the drive (or pump)

Dan'l