WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Billet Swimsteps???

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
On my boat I have the full length fiberglass swim step, it has been banged more then a few times and is starting to come apart or delaminate I guess you could say. I am thinking about replacing the big ass heavy swimstep with the indivdual billet ones. I would like to know the groups feelings about the rubber inserts, are they really necessary? Personally I don't like the looks of the rubber in the slats but I am not opposed to the idea if they serve a purpose. What do you think? Also, will my existing Aqua Step work with this style step?

DNA225.jpg

DNA240.jpg

Faceaz

Reaction score
I'd guess it's to help keep you from slipping. Mine don't have the rubber, I've never had anybody slip on them.

The only thing I really don't like about the steps, is the bolts. It's a small bolt (3/8ths or 5/16ths I think), threaded into aluminum & only about 1" max can be threaded into the step. Haven't really had an issue, but I cringe everytime my 350lb buddy gets on it. Seems like a lot of load for a small amount of aluminum thread.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have the top steps on my Stoker and on moms she has the bottom ones. Its nice to have the rubber inserts as they do make the steps less slippery. the downside is they are a bitch to keep clean. I have a white crust around all the rubber inserts from the water and no matter what its always there right away. Mine are blue maybe it wouldnt be as noticeable on lighter colors

BadBlown572

A/B Team Liaison
Reaction score
On my boat I have the full length fiberglass swim step, it has been banged more then a few times and is starting to come apart or delaminate I guess you could say. I am thinking about replacing the big ass heavy swimstep with the indivdual billet ones. I would like to know the groups feelings about the rubber inserts, are they really necessary? Personally I don't like the looks of the rubber in the slats but I am not opposed to the idea if they serve a purpose. What do you think? Also, will my existing Aqua Step work with this style step?

DNA225.jpg

DNA240.jpg

The rubber does protect somewhat against slipping. That is really the only benefit. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the rubber on my boat. My suggestion, go with the biggest steps you can possibly fit on the boat. Narrow steps suck.

I am not sure about the Rex steps, but the Dana Marine steps can be made to accept an aqua step. You do need to tell them that it will be getting one when you place your order so they can prep the steps for it.

The only problem you are going to run into on your boat is the existing swim step brackets. I can pretty much guarantee that you will need to remove the brackets and have all of the holes filled. Installing the brackets into fiberglass steps is not precision like the billet ones are.

Slow What

Reaction score
i don't like the rubber insert's either :thumbsdown
they probably keep you from slipping a little better than without the rubber..
but looks wise .. go without the insert's :thumbsup

screaming pete

Reaction score

DNA225.jpg

DNA240.jpg

i think you need a bigger bumper on that boat, not smaller swim steps. maybe something off of a truck:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Nice Avatar Screamin Pete!! :D

I have the rubber inserts, and i wish I didn't.. I'd rather have the normal billet ones. As RiverBound said you clean them, and no matter what water is always under there and it creeps out and leaves a white crust etc..

my latest problem is some cleaner got under the rubber and it ended up eating all the annodizing off everything.

RD

screaming pete

Reaction score

I have the rubber inserts, and i wish I didn't.. I'd rather have the normal billet ones. As RiverBound said you clean them, and no matter what water is always under there and it creeps out and leaves a white crust etc..

my latest problem is some cleaner got under the rubber and it ended up eating all the annodizing off everything.

RD

thanks dave i'll pass it on to the ta ta's:boobeyes:

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score

RD

can you pull the rubber and drill a drain hole or 2 under it?

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
The rubber does protect somewhat against slipping. That is really the only benefit. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the rubber on my boat. My suggestion, go with the biggest steps you can possibly fit on the boat. Narrow steps suck.

I am not sure about the Rex steps, but the Dana Marine steps can be made to accept an aqua step. You do need to tell them that it will be getting one when you place your order so they can prep the steps for it.

The only problem you are going to run into on your boat is the existing swim step brackets. I can pretty much guarantee that you will need to remove the brackets and have all of the holes filled. Installing the brackets into fiberglass steps is not precision like the billet ones are.

They are Dana's. We get them drilled for any Aqua Step you want. The rubber is all about personal preference. We sell about the same of each.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
If its full width , I doubt you will like the size of these. I would remove your existing step before winter, take it to a really good machine shop who does incredible billet work and have them duplicate it, and the mounts.

No new holes in your boat. RD might know some good shops.:rolleyes:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If its full width , I doubt you will like the size of these. I would remove your existing step before winter, take it to a really good machine shop who does incredible billet work and have them duplicate it, and the mounts.

No new holes in your boat. RD might know some good shops.:rolleyes:

Billet shit for boats nobody wants to pay for it.. $$$ 1 off shit is expensive.

RD

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score

Seriously? damn that sucks, wonder how much it would be just to have the fiberglass one repaired instead?