WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best lowering kit

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
kid wants to drop his new to him 2003 silverado. Wants to do a 4/6. Looks like there are different ways to go. Mcchaurty Drop spindles & lowering springs or replace the control arms and use stock springs by DJM. Reviews are all over the place. Then you need 17+ rims. Last truck I lowered was a 99 dualley. There wasnt this many options. Lol.

hold_j

Reaction score
McGaughys deluxe kit is what i did on my Silverado...teach your son to do it right the first time if hes gonna do it [emoji12] gonna have to slice few more tires to get his work hours up $$ ugh haha ‍

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
McGaughys deluxe kit is what i did on my Silverado...teach your son to do it right the first time if hes gonna do it [emoji12] gonna have to slice few more tires to get his work hours up $$ ugh haha ‍

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Teaching him the art of negotiating. How bad does someone want new un sliced tires, airbags, suspension boltso_O:D

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
I think Marc @SFV2RVR used the McGaughey kit on his GMC

I’ve used Bell Tech stuff on all my OBS trucks and I used McGaughy’s on my 2017 Sierra Denali. My new truck is 4x4 so i did a 3/5 kit with rear helper bags. Rides better than stock. I was never a fan of anything DJM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank

Reaction score
I've never used anything but Bell Tech...They've been the standard in the industry for so long, never a need to use anything else. What's up with McGaughys? Cheaper priced? Better? Just something different? What's the differences? I have a 4/6 Bell Tech currently on my 99 Tahoe

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
I've never used anything but Bell Tech...They've been the standard in the industry for so long, never a need to use anything else. What's up with McGaughys? Cheaper priced? Better? Just something different? What's the differences? I have a 4/6 Bell Tech currently on my 99 Tahoe
Just checkin all the options. Ive only had bell tech as well

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score

I used McGaughy’s because it seemed like most of the newer trucks 14-17’ had really good reviews on their kits. Like I said before though, I’ve been a Bell Tech guy forever.

Tank

Reaction score
I used McGaughy’s because it seemed like most of the newer trucks 14-17’ had really good reviews on their kits. Like I said before though, I’ve been a Bell Tech guy forever.

Where they more $$??

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
I’ve used Bell Tech stuff on all my OBS trucks and I used McGaughy’s on my 2017 Sierra Denali. My new truck is 4x4 so i did a 3/5 kit with rear helper bags. Rides better than stock. I was never a fan of anything DJM.

I have read a ton of reviews that say the ride is better w djm over the drop spindle. Couple guys even said they took to drop spindles off and put the djm kit on. Idunno. Like tank ive only rolled the bell tech.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Where they more $$??

My kit for my truck was more because nobody really made any kits for my truck when I did it. We kinda pieced things together being it was probably one of the first 2017 4x4 trucks done.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
McGaughy’s is the shit this day in age, Bell Tech was in the 90’s for sure tho. DJM has always been the magazine cheap shit.

I agree with earlier statements about teaching him the right way vs the cheaper way. Do it once do it right, seems like more today but is normally the cheaper way in the end.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
McGaughy’s is the shit this day in age, Bell Tech was in the 90’s for sure tho. DJM has always been the magazine cheap shit.

I agree with earlier statements about teaching him the right way vs the cheaper way. Do it once do it right, seems like more today but is normally the cheaper way in the end.
My issue with mcgauhy is I had it installed on a 2010 suburban. Looked bad ass. Rode like shit!!! I think the installer had a lot to do with that. I kinda determined they didnt do a good job when I looked and saw the factory bump stops not removed. Thats just day one shit right there

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Mcgaughys seems to have the market for strut based trucks, the coil spring trucks of the 90s and early 2000s did well with belltech.

Dodge has the 2/4 Mcgaughys, rides well but still has a little of the choppy spring feel

Tahoe is a 4wd with another Mcgaughys kit, this rides better but is a torsion fron end

CK silverado was a belltech spring/spindle and shackle hanger kit rode very well

2004 silverado is a 1" belltech spring and 2" shackle on 305/45/22, this is my daily driver and love the truck best ride out of all of them.
20140905_171248.jpeg
20160227_165723.jpeg
20150820_112455.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Mcgaughys seems to have the market for strut based trucks, the coil spring trucks of the 90s and early 2000s did well with belltech.

Dodge has the 2/4 Mcgaughys, rides well but still has a little of the choppy spring feel

Tahoe is a 4wd with another Mcgaughys kit, this rides better but is a torsion fron end

CK silverado was a belltech spring/spindle and shackle hanger kit rode very well

2004 silverado is a 1" belltech spring and 2" shackle on 305/45/22, this is my daily driver and love the truck best ride out of all of them. View attachment 663929 View attachment 663930 View attachment 663931

Didn't you have a dually with a DJM kit? How did that one ride?

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Didn't you have a dually with a DJM kit? How did that one ride?
I did, that was a rough kit. The camber was off and id get bump steer, after new bushings, hubs, brakes, idler, pitman and heavy duty tierods i could settle it down but would never completely go away
20170715_132057.jpeg

Tank

Reaction score
New djm stuff is supposed be better, my buddy just built this one, duramax, airbags in rear and 22" 10 lug semi, and the thing rides bitchin View attachment 663982

wasn't this one for sale recently? Or am I thinking of a different bagged wht dually out there?

Tank

Reaction score
kid wants to drop his new to him 2003 silverado. Wants to do a 4/6. Looks like there are different ways to go. Mcchaurty Drop spindles & lowering springs or replace the control arms and use stock springs by DJM. Reviews are all over the place. Then you need 17+ rims. Last truck I lowered was a 99 dualley. There wasnt this many options. Lol.

Oh, and by the way...How freakin' cool your kid want's to do this and is actually into cars/trucks. Seems like this day and age, customizing your car, hell, even getting your license for todays youth is just "meh" to kids. I have two boys and I really hope they're into cars and want to customize something. I think having pride in your ride and having a hobby like that and a passion keeps kids out of trouble for the most part. Gives them a drive, good work ethic to work for something they want and teaches them how to care for their stuff. Just good all around.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
wasn't this one for sale recently? Or am I thinking of a different bagged wht dually out there?
No, he bought a stock truck in phoenix end of last year. Truck has only 54k on it, he lowered it, did the wheels, fresh respray, monster stereo, reprogrammed it, piped it and a few other goodies. He did well on it, he is only in the truck 40 and change

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
I did, that was a rough kit. The camber was off and id get bump steer, after new bushings, hubs, brakes, idler, pitman and heavy duty tierods i could settle it down but would never completely go away View attachment 663976

Those 20’s? Thats my next truck. So much want in that picture!!!

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
19.5 american force wrapped in 225/75/19.5.

Fits just right, i messed up by going steer tires all the way around, that thing was slippery as hell on the ramp

Tank

Reaction score
19.5 american force wrapped in 225/75/19.5.

Fits just right, i messed up by going steer tires all the way around, that thing was slippery as hell on the ramp

I had steer tires all the way around on mine too...Thank gawd it was 4WD because it needed it to get off most ramps!!!

IMG_0551.jpg

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I pulled the formula once with the dually, the boat is around 8-9k on trailer with water tank full, even on windsor i stuggled
20170819_092143.jpeg

Tank

Reaction score
I pulled the formula once with the dually, the boat is around 8-9k on trailer with water tank full, even on windsor i stuggled View attachment 663991

Yea, they do not like the steer tires in the back. Even in rain it got a little squirrely. But the other tires look funky! LOL

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score

They are all roughly the same price

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Back in the day my family owned a lift and lowering shop. I could of sworn 6” requires a frame notch.

Just looked it up and it does require the notch.

I remember allot of customers wanted to do that small c notch for thier lowering kit. 6 months later they wanted a monster notch so they could lay frame.

Consider doing the monster notch the first time. It won’t be long before he realizes he could have that thing laying frame for cheap.

Last edited:

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Back in the day my family owned a lift and lowering shop. I could of sworn 6” requires a frame notch.

Just looked it up and it does require the notch.

I remember allot of customers wanted to do that small c notch for thier lowering kit. 6 months later they wanted a monster notch so they could lay frame.

Consider doing the monster notch the first time. It won’t be long before he realizes he could have that thing laying frame for cheap.
He is getting a 4&6 drop. That’s it! We will notch it but won’t be doing stupid shit like laying frame or air bags.

Your ad here

Reaction score
DJM pissed me off with rear shackles on a F250. I get them install to find out the bed cross members have to be notched. Anyways, ripped them off and took them back. No where in the instructions does it call for notching the bed. If I'd known that I would have never would have gone through the trouble.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
'07 GMC SIERRA LONG BED. DJM 3-4 drop i think, can't remember, didn't notch rear frame, helper bags with compressor with sway bar. Only problem is when i went 20" Denalli wheels, the front drivers side tire scarpes the inside plastic fender well when you hit anykind of a dip. I've tried everything to remedy this problem. Tried DJMs shocks, no good, tried Bilsteins, no good, finally went with Rancho junk adjustables on the stiffest setting, still scrapes.
Had DJMs 5-7 flipped rear axles on '96, '99 and 2000 crew cab duallys, no problems. did a 3-5 drop on a '01 Burb, no problems.

IMG_0150.JPG

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
If you and Jr are going to do this yourselves please turn this into a build thread. Takes me back to my high school days. Now get some 17” Boyd’s or Budniks and a bunch of billet accessories and you will have a time machine!!

Damn... now I want a 95 Chevy extra cab...

Decided to go with western chasis 4/6 drop kit for v6 motors. It has a slightly lower spring to compensate the lighter motor. Seems like a well built belltech type kit.

https://www.andysautosport.com/products/western_chassis__80114.html

CLdrinker

Reaction score
'07 GMC SIERRA LONG BED. DJM 3-4 drop i think, can't remember, didn't notch rear frame, helper bags with compressor with sway bar. Only problem is when i went 20" Denalli wheels, the front drivers side tire scarpes the inside plastic fender well when you hit anykind of a dip. I've tried everything to remedy this problem. Tried DJMs shocks, no good, tried Bilsteins, no good, finally went with Rancho junk adjustables on the stiffest setting, still scrapes.
Had DJMs 5-7 flipped rear axles on '96, '99 and 2000 crew cab duallys, no problems. did a 3-5 drop on a '01 Burb, no problems.

View attachment 664098

Why are trying to solve the problem with shocks? It’s not a suspension problem.

It’s tire size or wheel offset problem.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
My 94 in 94 Lol

We will be doing 20’s im not a huge billit bolt on guy Clean & simple is my program:cool:
AD731280-DD7D-4EF6-80A5-9946A1E6AE43.jpeg
If you and Jr are going to do this yourselves please turn this into a build thread. Takes me back to my high school days. Now get some 17” Boyd’s or Budniks and a bunch of billet accessories and you will have a time machine!!

Damn... now I want a 95 Chevy extra cab...