WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Beach wagon modification ideas

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
OK RDP folks, I have a basic wagon that I use to take stuff to the beach every summer, and the metal tub is just a little bit narrower than I'd like it to be to fit all of our stuff. A photo of the wagon is below. The wheel/axle assemblies are through bolted to the metal tub, and there is enough clearance to make the tub wider than the wheels and not have the tires rub.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get a little bit more "cargo" space in the wagon without turning this into a bigger project than it needs to be. My initial thought is to just cut the metal tub and wood panels down the center, space them apart about 6 inches, then put a larger floor in the tub and mount everything to the new floor.

Is there a better option that I'm not thinking of?

60570_W7.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
OK RDP folks, I have a basic wagon that I use to take stuff to the beach every summer, and the metal tub is just a little bit narrower than I'd like it to be to fit all of our stuff. A photo of the wagon is below. The wheel/axle assemblies are through bolted to the metal tub, and there is enough clearance to make the tub wider than the wheels and not have the tires rub.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get a little bit more "cargo" space in the wagon without turning this into a bigger project than it needs to be. My initial thought is to just cut the metal tub and wood panels down the center, space them apart about 6 inches, then put a larger floor in the tub and mount everything to the new floor.

60570_W7.jpg
This absolutely has to be a big ass project, that's the only way around here🤣

Go buy another one and cut the middle 6" out of it and weld it into the other

D19

Reaction score
We have this. It may not be the coolest looking, but it has a cooler, storage packs, sun shadeds, beer holder and it folds up.

71pZIDn6KrL._SL1500_.jpg

Nordie

Reaction score
I've been kicking around the idea of doing wood beds for radio flyers again. Would look good covering up a widened tub.

@TBI is on the waiting list still

20230119_135115.jpg

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Just get a big Kahuna wagon and be done with it.:cool:
Big-Kahuna-on-beach-100x100.png
Well, besides the obvious answer of me being a cheap ass and not wanting to spend $900 on a wagon, I want something that will fit in the bed of my truck under my tonneau cover, and the Big Kahuna looks like it would be a pain in the ass to load in and out of my truck bed.

WildHorses24

Reaction score

I have this cooler rack I'd sell if you're close to Orange County...
cooler-carrier-for-wagon-2-scaled.jpg

wallnutz

Reaction score
Well, besides the obvious answer of me being a cheap ass and not wanting to spend $900 on a wagon, I want something that will fit in the bed of my truck under my tonneau cover, and the Big Kahuna looks like it would be a pain in the ass to load in and out of my truck bed.
They make them with the sides that fold down. I had one for when my kids were smaller and had to take half the house with us to the beach. I bought it used in Dan Diego off of Craigslist. But ya $900 for a wagon ughh.

D19

Reaction score
I don't know if it's bigger than what I already have, and those wheels will suck going over sand

You can buy sand tires for it. I ordered them just have not put on. The jeep wagon is much lighter than a tricked-out radio flier. I almost went that route and glad I didn't. Jeep folds and fits under my bed cover

s-l1600.jpg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
We have had a couple folding fabric wagons for soccer. They work good and hold a bunch but for the beach you would want some floatie tires.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
New side boards that are v ed out for more storage. Slice her down the middle and make it wide. Double deck it. Buy a bigger wagon.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I would get a 2nd tub/wagon. Cut both in half 3" off center, then weld the two bigger halfs together. Drill new holes to mount the axles use the extra side wood slats to make the new front and back slats.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
I live at the beach and had all different wagons. The one's like the Jeep pictured get bogged down in the sand, and are hard to pull if you get too much in them. The best one so far is one we got last summer. It's a wagon that turns into a chair. Amazon for about $150