WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AZ Drivers License and vehicle registration? Lake Havasu

wet hull

Reaction score
Need some input if you have been through this. Looking to switch from CA to AZ. Own a house in Lake Havasu, AZ. Looking to get drivers license and 5 year reg if possible. I have already gone online and filled out what I can. It says to come in within 30 days with printed out app with barcode and required 3 forms of ID for License. All good there. Vehicle I am lost on what is needed. 2 cars, Acura RDX and F250. Guessing

Tile for Acura?
Copy of loan docs on F250?
current CA reg info?

Thanks for any help, truck is big deal as it will not pass CA smog since there is no emissions stuff left:D

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
When I moved, i just walked in with my Ca reg. and walked out with Az Reg. I think two of my titles are still on Ca paper, but reg'd here.

Singleton

Reaction score
You are used to the CA over complicate process. Walk in and they will take care of you - just need proof of AZ address

wet hull

Reaction score
It being that easy is what had me thinking I was missing something.

wet hull

Reaction score
Will the fact that I am not full time in Havasu change anything?

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Havent done a car yet.. But, getting a az id , registering the rzr and boat have been rediculously easy. Walked into the parker office.. Didnt even have to pull a number.. The lady asked "how can i help you?" In and out in 10 mins. Too easy.
God az is great!:D:D

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Dont you have to surrender your ca license if you want a az license? Thought i had heard that..?

WildWilly

Reaction score
They didn't require me to surrender my CA license. But as stated, fill out the online, bring the paper with the barcode and your forms of ID (be mindful of exact requests if you are getting a federal ID). As for cars, brought in my CA reg and was done in minutes.

BUT...just FYI if you have a leased vehicle, they require a notarized letter from the lessor stating approval to move the vehicle from one state to another. That was my only hiccup. Maybe thats common knowledge, never had a leased vehicle before.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Yes, but glad to give it back

A month ago when I changed over to my AZ drivers license I didn't have to "surrender" my CA license, but they did void it along with my AZ identification card. They accepted my Global Entry as the third form of ID. 10 minutes time including the line of 6 ahead of me and no appointment was made.

kevnmcd

Reaction score
What is an acceptable 3rd form of ID? Drivers License, passport and ???

What is needed for proof of AZ address? Utility bill acceptable and does it have to be in the registers name?

My son has a car that won't pass smog and needs to register it in AZ. Thinking he could just say he is moving there and living in our house. Anyone know if they will they have a problem with that?

nameisbond

Reaction score
A lease vehicle will need a letter from the leasing company that you can change states.

EB3

Reaction score
Can you have an AZ driver's license if your full time residence address is in California? Also if you register your cars to AZ and live in California how does that affect your insurance?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Can you have an AZ driver's license if your full time residence address is in California? Also if you register your cars to AZ and live in California how does that affect your insurance?
I think there is a level of russian roulette you play keeping one foot in each state like that......
Az insurance is usually more costly too.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

Yes you can have an AZ drivers license if your full time residence is CA, a lot of my clients do.

For the insurance the primary address of the policy needs to match the registration address because the insurance will have to match the AZ rules/regs. If you want me to take a look at some AZ numbers let me know.

wet hull

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Will definitely leave out not being full time. Insurance I will switch over to AZ. I am with State Farm and boat is the same and already reg in AZ

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Will the fact that I am not full time in Havasu change anything?

You cannot be a resident of two states. A person can only "live" in one state. In the other state they are just visitors. Regardless if they own property, or not.

If you have any licenses (business, professional, drivers, hunting/fishing, etc) as resident in any other state, you cannot declare an Arizona residency. If you file California Income taxes as a CA resident, you are a CA resident. You must surrender any Out of State Drivers License when you obtain an Arizona License.

If you are registered to vote in CA, you are a CA resident.

You must be domiciled (AKA LIVE) in Arizona for 6 months and 1 day in order to claim Arizona residency.

In other words, you actually have to declare yourself a full time, permanent Arizona Resident to obtain Arizona Licenses. (At in-state/resident rates)

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
What is an acceptable 3rd form of ID? Drivers License, passport and ???

What is needed for proof of AZ address? Utility bill acceptable and does it have to be in the registers name?

My son has a car that won't pass smog and needs to register it in AZ. Thinking he could just say he is moving there and living in our house. Anyone know if they will they have a problem with that?

Nope.. Cops here might if he gets pulled over.. but with an AZ DL, probably not a huge deal

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
All that makes total sense. As I understand it a boat is supposed to be registered in the state you use it the most. Is that correct?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
You cannot be a resident of two states. A person can only "live" in one state. In the other state they are just visitors. Regardless if they own property, or not.

If you have any licenses (business, professional, drivers, hunting/fishing, etc) as resident in any other state, you cannot declare an Arizona residency. If you file California Income taxes as a CA resident, you are a CA resident. You must surrender any Out of State Drivers License when you obtain an Arizona License.

You must be domiciled (AKA LIVE) in Arizona for 6 months and 1 day in order to claim Arizona residency.

In other words, you actually have to declare yourself a full time, permanent Arizona Resident to obtain Arizona Licenses. (At in-state/resident rates)
I said it earlier......playing russian roulette trying to keep a foot in both states. One or the other state will end up punishing.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
AND.....

If you actually ARE a California resident, and you drive YOUR vehicle (or pull YOUR trailer) in California, that vehicle or trailer MUST be registered in California. If your Arizona registered mini-van is dropping your California registered kids off at school, or it is parked at your California house, OR the local PD sees the wife getting groceries once a week at the California Albertson's, you will get stopped and ticketed.

It cannot roll on California roads EVER. Not bringing the boat/trailer back to CA for service. Not driving the mini-van through CA to Vegas. NOTHING!

If you are lucky, you will pay... fines, penalties, back taxes, and back tax penalties, etc. If you are unlucky, you will pay the above PLUS. Towing, Storage, impound fees, and possibly bail, since a California resident operating THEIR OWNED vehicle that is not registered in California is a Misdemeanor Criminal Offense. Plus a portion of the Fine for this goes to the arresting/citing Agency, rather than just to the Courts. So local PD, SO and Highway Patrol Officers are very keen on sniffing out people who commit residency and vehicle registration fraud.

Not to mention CHP has a hotline for people to report CA residents with out of state plates. So, any neighborhood (or workplace, or parking lot, or freeway) beef, could result on CHP knocking on your doors with a flatbed close behind.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
All that makes total sense. As I understand it a boat is supposed to be registered in the state you use it the most. Is that correct?

Boats DO have to be registered in the State of Principle Operation. That means where it is operated the most. On Lake Havasu or the River from the Nevada state line, south, it can be registered in CA or AZ. Nevada state line, north and Lakes Mead and Mohave, you can register it in AZ or NV. If used on Lake Powell the most, it can be registered in AZ or UT.

There is NO penalty, nor is it illegal, nor is it probable cause to be stopped, to have an AZ registered boat on a CA registration trailer or vice versa. Registration of boats DOES NOT MATTER unless on the water. (except for fictitious registration or fake numbers). However the CHP has been known to stop California registered vehicles towing Arizona registered trailers.

PlanB

Reaction score
The above is all true, but you can be a dual resident when it deals with firearms. If you have homes (has to be a home, not a rental) in multiple states you are considered a residence of that state when you are present. This is how people with homes in more than one state can legally purchase firearms in the state they are present in. I know this is not vehicle related, but when I see someone say you can't be a dual resident, that's not completely true.

Jonas Grumby

The Skipper
Reaction score

But I know someone that has a California job has to go to the office 3 days a week, works from home (az) the other 2 days. He gets his 184 days in az to be considered domiciled, yet has calif income tax.

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Thank you for confirming.

I think this, "It cannot roll on California roads EVER. Not bringing the boat/trailer back to CA for service. Not driving the mini-van through CA to Vegas. NOTHING!" my be a bit over the top. I have to believe AZ residents can bring their boat to CA for service or a vacation at a CA lake. I get your point of the OP trying to "pretend" he's a full time AZ but spend most of his time in CA is for sure illegal.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
The above is all true, but you can be a dual resident when it deals with firearms. If you have homes (has to be a home, not a rental) in multiple states you are considered a residence of that state when you are present. This is how people with homes in more than one state can legally purchase firearms in the state they are present in. I know this is not vehicle related, but when I see someone say you can't be a dual resident, that's not completely true.

Not quite.

Arizona requires that you must have an Arizona Drivers License (or Military stationed in Arizona) to purchase a firearm through an AZ FFL. An ID card, lease, deed, or proof of owning property, doesn't cut it. Since you cannot possess, or have issued, a drivers license in more than one state, only Arizona Residents can have an Arizona Drivers License.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
But I know someone that has a California job has to go to the office 3 days a week, works from home (az) the other 2 days. He gets his 184 days in az to be considered domiciled, yet has calif income tax.

He would have to file it as an Arizona Resident. Anyone who works in CA has to file CA income tax. (same with all states w/income tax) I once worked at Black Meadow Landing AND worked in AZ. I had to file state taxes in both states. Arizona as a Resident and California as a non-resident.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Thank you for confirming.

I think this, "It cannot roll on California roads EVER. Not bringing the boat/trailer back to CA for service. Not driving the mini-van through CA to Vegas. NOTHING!" my be a bit over the top. I have to believe AZ residents can bring their boat to CA for service or a vacation at a CA lake. I get your point of the OP trying to "pretend" he's a full time AZ but spend most of his time in CA is for sure illegal.

Arizona residents CAN take their vehicles into CA whenever they want.

It is the CALIFORNIA RESIDENT who must register their vehicles THAT THEY OWN, in California, unless that vehicle NEVER enters California.

PlanB

Reaction score
Not quite.

Arizona requires that you must have an Arizona Drivers License (or Military stationed in Arizona) to purchase a firearm through an AZ FFL. An ID card, lease, deed, or proof of owning property, doesn't cut it. Since you cannot possess, or have issued, a drivers license in more than one state, only Arizona Residents can have an Arizona Drivers License.

Not true:

What constitutes residency in a State?
For Gun Control Act (GCA) purposes, a person is a resident of a State in which he or she is present with the intention of making a home in that State. The State of residence for a corporation or other business entity is the State where it maintains a place of business. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained.

[18 U.S.C. 921(b), 922(a)(3), and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.11]

ATF has previously addressed the eligibility of individuals to acquire firearms who maintain residences in more than one State. Federal regulations at 27 CFR 478.11 (definition of State of Residence), Example 2, clarify that a U.S. citizen with homes in two States may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State.

May a person who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a firearm in either State?
If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not alone qualify the person to purchase a firearm in that State.

[27 CFR 478.11]

https://www.azccw.com/purchasing-firearm-arizona/

Purchasing a Firearm in Arizona
Buyer must not be a “prohibited possessor” under federal or state law and be

• over 18 years of age in order to purchase a long gun or
• over 21 in order to purchase a handgun.
present government-issued photo ID which establishes name, address, date-of-birth and carries a signature
• Correctly and completely fill out and sign form government form 4473
• If not a U.S. citizen and not an immigrant visa foreign nationals will need to present proof of exception status
• Be able to pay for his or her purchase
• The dealer will then call or fax the Arizona Firearms Clearance Center for an Arizona clearance as well as a federalNICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) check. Usually the check itself will take less than a minute and the resultant answer is either a proceed, a delay or a deny. A delay gives the FBI 3 days to clear it up and before which the firearm cannot be sold. After 3 days the sale can take place automatically. A deny means the sale cannot go through and the purchaser can contact the Arizona Firearms Clearance Center to clear up the matter.
• An Arizona resident may then take possession of the firearm. Non-residentsneed to comply with several additional criteria:

• the firearm must be legally possessible in the buyer’s state of residence
• the transaction must be legal in the purchaser’s state of residence
• Immediate possession of long guns is allowed if this is allowed in the state of residence
• Purchased handguns will be shipped by the dealer in Arizona to a licensed dealer (FFL [Federal Firearms License]) in the state of residence.

Don't need an AZ DL to purchase. An AZ ID card meets the requirements. I have purchased through FFL's in AZ with my ID card with zero issues.

Edit: I researched this issue extensively before installing a 1700 pound safe in my AZ home, including talking to lawyers that specialize in firearms law.

Last edited:

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Arizona residents CAN take their vehicles into CA whenever they want.

It is the CALIFORNIA RESIDENT who must register their vehicles THAT THEY OWN, in California, unless that vehicle NEVER enters California.

So if I live in CA and have a vacation home in AZ, leave a car at my AZ house to use while I'm in AZ, is it ok to have it registered in CA? Should it be registered in AZ?

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Dont you have to surrender your ca license if you want a az license? Thought i had heard that..?
I did not have to surrender plates nor license a year ago.
I had to wait a few days for the vanity plates for the 67 GTO but I got the Ram plates same day.
YMMV :)

hawgty55

Reaction score
Most people overthink what actually happens. But I did mine and granted this was a couple years back I went in there filled out the form paid the fee walked out without showing any identification or any form of Bill or contract stating address.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
To kinda go along with the OP's post.... When we move to AZ, we're gonna be living with my Mother-in-law at first and all the bills they have are already in their names and there really isn't any intention of changing any over to me or my wife's name.does anybody know of anything else that the DMV and school districts would accept to validate residency?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Riverbottom

Reaction score
To kinda go along with the OP's post.... When we move to AZ, we're gonna be living with my Mother-in-law at first and all the bills they have are already in their names and there really isn't any intention of changing any over to me or my wife's name.does anybody know of anything else that the DMV and school districts would accept to validate residency?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Voter registration card.

GulfWarVet

Reaction score
local PD sees the wife getting groceries once a week at the California Albertson's, you will get stopped and ticketed.
I'm pretty sure local PD has better things - more serious threats to the community than to stalk a wife, mother, whatever getting groceries once a week in CA using an AZ registered car. Even so, there's attorney's that would shred LE for lack of probable cause cuz doin surveillance on an otherwise law abiding female citizen simply because what? She takes an AZ registered car to a CA Supermarket? There's not a cop in CA that would risk a stalking or harassment civil suit because he felt it was his duty to hem up a tax paying citizen over a car registration who just might have their CA reg car in the shop yet have one registered in AZ since its kept in that state, but since CA car was weeks in the shop, suspect actually owns a vehicle in dual states, and is hard pressed to be taking public transpo. This isnt Russia bru.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure local PD has better things - more serious threats to the community than to stalk a wife, mother, whatever getting groceries once a week in CA using an AZ registered car. Even so, there's attorney's that would shred LE for lack of probable cause cuz doin surveillance on an otherwise law abiding female citizen simply because what? She takes an AZ registered car to a CA Supermarket? There's not a cop in CA that would risk a stalking or harassment civil suit because he felt it was his duty to hem up a tax paying citizen over a car registration who just might have their CA reg car in the shop yet have one registered in AZ since its kept in that state, but since CA car was weeks in the shop, suspect actually owns a vehicle in dual states, and is hard pressed to be taking public transpo. This isnt Russia bru.
If you think a Ca cop won’t ticket / cite you for registration discrepancy , you’re sorely mistaken . It’s all about revenue .

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
And CA cops don’t look at the story, they look at the law and that law the moment they are writing the ticket.

They don’t care about the story. It’s open/shut or black/white to them.

gqchris

Reaction score
You do realize in California there is a "Snitch on Your Neighbor" program?

Boat 405

Reaction score
Need some input if you have been through this. Looking to switch from CA to AZ. Own a house in Lake Havasu, AZ. Looking to get drivers license and 5 year reg if possible. I have already gone online and filled out what I can. It says to come in within 30 days with printed out app with barcode and required 3 forms of ID for License. All good there. Vehicle I am lost on what is needed. 2 cars, Acura RDX and F250. Guessing

Tile for Acura?
Copy of loan docs on F250?
current CA reg info?

Thanks for any help, truck is big deal as it will not pass CA smog since there is no emissions stuff left:D
EZ PZ. Title or registration for vehicles. File out application for registration. Submit to MVD. For DL they will ask for a passport and a utility bill, and or property tax bill.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Not quite.

You can purchase a firearm in AZ with an AZ ID card and proof address of a utility bill. You do not necessarily need a DL to purchase. Now if you bring that item into CA that is an entirely different conversation and considered a straw purchase. Firearm or Ammo.

Boat 405

Reaction score
So if I live in CA and have a vacation home in AZ, leave a car at my AZ house to use while I'm in AZ, is it ok to have it registered in CA? Should it be registered in AZ?
Register the vehicle where it is used. Imagine if the scenario is reversed. If you live in AZ and had a vacation home in CA. CA would want you to register said vehicle in CA.

oldman

Reaction score
You can purchase a firearm in AZ with an AZ ID card and proof address of a utility bill. You do not necessarily need a DL to purchase. Now if you bring that item into CA that is an entirely different conversation and considered a straw purchase. Firearm or Ammo.
When did the Utility bill kick in? With an AZ ID card and an AZ CCW, I've been able to buy ammo and guns over the counter, but it's probably been a year.
I mail order ammo to my Az address

I do have an Az CCW, but they mail the renewal to my Ca address.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
MVD in Havasu you can get an appointment. But we never do. It is a 10 minute wait most of the time. They can do everything for you there and they will smile as they talk with you. It is really a nice experience.

wet hull

Reaction score
EZ PZ. Title or registration for vehicles. File out application for registration. Submit to MVD. For DL they will ask for a passport and a utility bill, and or property tax bill.
Did this along time ago. I have the AZ DL. Old truck was registered, CHP hit me up saying someone reported me. Trucked was badged for my company so easy to spot. New truck will move to AC plates once my 1st year of reg is up in October

Bajastu

Reaction score
The law about towing an AZ trailer with a CA truck in CA is complete bullshit. It’s just a money grab for the CHP. I fought that ticket once and won (it was a difficult battle). My boat is permanently stored in Parker and used solely in AZ. Bringing a boat and trailer to CA for maintenance is quite normal. To really avoid the ticket, here’s the trick…. If the CA registered truck has a different owner than the AZ registered trailer, no ticket is issued. But if my CA registered truck (owned by me) is towing my AZ registered trailer, that would incite a ticket from Ponch and Jon. Kind of a loop hole but it’s interstate commerce if both items are different owners.

There’s a few CHP officers on RDP and they live in AZ and work in CA. I’m sure that they could shed light on this issue.

The biggest issue with living and working in CA and having an AZ license and registered truck is that you now loose the ability to write off your CA house as a primary residence. Only you can decide if the tax benefit outweighs the AZ registration and insurance costs. Or the fact that your neighbors are commies and they tattletale on you to the CHP.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Between the cars, trucks and bikes. We’ve got several vehicles registered in each state. One of the AZ cars requires that I take it to Cali for service unless I want to go to Vegas or Phoenix. I’ve had no issues doing so (yet) either. I feel as though this is a valid argument if I ended up in court over the matter since I can prove the cars I use in Cali are registered there.

Im one that can claim 184 days plus in AZ (based on partial remote work and weekends) and plan on becoming a resident shorty. I fully anticipate having to file two state tax returns the first year or two. I’m retiring here next year regardless.

In terms of a Drivers License, you do have to give up your Cali held one when this happens. I have a buddy that recently went through this and had to take a test as well. I’m assuming this (the testing) also holds true for my motorcycle endorsement. Since I am over 60, Cali does not currently require that I hold a boaters certificate and AZ has no requirement at all.

I also hold a Cali Real Estate Broker’s License and General Contractor's (B) License. I’m going to test in for the equivalent AZ Licenses over the next few months. I believe you can hold them in both states concurrently.

Singleton

Reaction score
I have vehicles registered in CA, AZ and NM.
Trailers either have CA plates. My enclosed trailer will be registered in CA or AZ to start (will decide that in a few days), then will move to NM around Thanksgiving when I am in NM again.