WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Audi TDI diesel cars

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Anyone owned one of those audi diesels that get like 50+ mpg? They were a client of ours so I’m well aware of the ECU foolery that allowed them to pass emissions while being extremely fuel friendly. Was looking at a cheap commuter car rather than driving my turbo dually around all the time. I’ve looked thru sites and many claim the 2.0l diesel engine is super reliable. No dpf. Curious if any have owned one here?

IMG_1743.jpeg

Last edited:

Markus

Reaction score
Never owned one, but driven many different Audi diesels as rental cars over the years.

If you don’t mind the turbo lag and diesel sound, they are OK.

They are very popular over here - never heard anything bad about them compared to other Audis.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
They're great until they aren't. Like most newer cars, once the mileage gets up there and stuff starts breaking "planned obsolescence" kicks in...

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
F14 has 2 of VW diesels with programmer upgrades to engine & trans, they both scoot. He just drove his Passat from Bay area to LOTO 2 weeks ago & got 51mpg going 5-12 mph over speed limit across interstate 80 while I got 9.7mpg in his GMC pulling his lil enclosed trailer

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
@rivermobster is into these cars, I think he has a 1.9 TDI Jetta

Yep. I had the VW version. Same vehicle without the DEF and a bigger cargo area.

Fucking LOVED that car!!! Till my son totalled it. 😭

You can't hardly find em used cause no one will part with theirs. At a reasonable price anyway.

Ton of performance options for it too. They call em Vette killers in Europe cause the come in all wheel drive over there.

Buy it. Great cars. 👍🏼👍🏼

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Have pondered the same thought many times yet I think of it breaking and the cost to repair and that always stops me!

boatpi

Reaction score
Vw make some of the best diesels in the world also look at the Passat

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Yep. I had the VW version. Same vehicle without the DEF and a bigger cargo area.

Fucking LOVED that car!!! Till my son totalled it. 😭

You can't hardly find em used cause no one will part with theirs. At a reasonable price anyway.

Ton of performance options for it too. They call em Vette killers in Europe cause the come in all wheel drive over there.

Buy it. Great cars. 👍🏼👍🏼
Whoa whoa ......a Vette Killer? lol

kurtis500

Reaction score
I have a Porsche Cayenne with the diesel in it(same motor I think). Absolutely love the car. The motor is super solid. They de-tuned it after the lawsuit years ago. When we have it serviced they give us a new Macan usually to take home. I still like my Cayenne better than the brand new Macans. I wouldnt hesitate to get the diesel. I cant wait to get a Panamera sport turismo but I dont think I'll ever part with the diesel cayanne. My wife loves it and wouldn't trade it in.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
We have a 15 A3 TDI got it with 8k miles (buy back sandal) now has 68k..
we have a extended 100k warranty and its paid for its self having it..
ill give you some issues its had..
center a/c vents quit working.
pop up mmi audio screen quit
oil pressure switch went bad..
some other smalls i cant recall..
all covered under the extended warranty.. its get serviced at Audi the service guys ask to buy it all the time.. before warranty is up we are selling..
Gets 530/550 miles on tank.. depends where u fuel up($47-57 drls) barely uses DEF . not the fast off the line but good on highway..
its been a great commuter car

Sharky

Reaction score
We had a saying at the dealer- "you know what the worst thing about an Audi is? The second owner""

Granted this was a Chevrolet dealer and European vehicles were frowned upon in the used car service dept. Yea, the guys could fix them but it cost a fortune to do it and used car sales never wanted to pay. And a lot of them needed a small fortune for what one would think is a minor service or repair.

Buy your parts from the VW dealer. Same parts, about 1/3 less on cost.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I have a Porsche Cayenne with the diesel in it(same motor I think). Absolutely love the car. The motor is super solid. They de-tuned it after the lawsuit years ago. When we have it serviced they give us a new Macan usually to take home. I still like my Cayenne better than the brand new Macans. I wouldnt hesitate to get the diesel. I cant wait to get a Panamera sport turismo but I dont think I'll ever part with the diesel cayanne. My wife loves it and wouldn't trade it in.
Wife’s Range Rover is a diesel. I’ve always wondered how reliable it’s gonna be long term. We originally went to dealer to buy a SVR they had but someone sold it as we were driving there. So we settled with this grey diesel one. So far it’s been fine. Everyone’s always like “oh diesels last 500k miles blah blah” I just wonder about the smaller ones.

IMG_9276.jpeg

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
We had a 2010 VW Jetta TDI, great fuel economy and ran perfect until the fuel pump exploded and trashed the fuel system. VW fixed it under some recall warranty deal but it never ran the same after that. Several times it just quit while driving down the road and would not restart.

I still have the VW all weather/mud floor liners if anyone is interested. Never used.

Duramax

Reaction score
Anyone owned one of those audi diesels that get like 50+ mpg? They were a client of ours so I’m well aware of the ECU foolery that allowed them to pass emissions while being extremely fuel friendly. Was looking at a cheap commuter car rather than driving my turbo dually around all the time. I’ve looked thru sites and many claim the 1.9l diesel engine is super reliable. No dpf. Curious if any have owned one here?

View attachment 1230784
TDI's are the absolute best. When VW had to buy back all the TDI's because of the emission issue, VW made sure that your money was wired back to you within 5min of selling your vehicle back, in hopes of the dealership selling them something else before they walked out. What they didn't realize was TDI owners are like a cult, and they didn't want anything else! I don't think they sold anything..
When we were finally able to buy those cars back and update them, they sold like crazy. People were flying in from all over.

My 1.9 Jetta wagon has 398k on the clock and I would not trade it for the world as a daily driver. Rock solid. Mine is like 38-39mpg

PlanB

Reaction score
We had a VW TDI wagon. The motor was great but the car was a POS. Endless electrical problems from the start. Ended up selling it after a couple of years because of the issues.

PaPaG

Reaction score
We had 3 2015 TDI Passat's and 1 Jetta, same diesel engine (2.0 which I thought the A3 had but I can be wrong) in the Passat as the Audi from what I remember. Great running engines for sure as long as you take care of them, once they were recalled in all they did was make the upgrades/flash to the ECUs and held them for a while then started reselling them again. We consistently got 45-50mpg out of them on long trips at averages between 75/80mph, I gave one of the Passat's to an employee and he now has 200k+ on it and just changed the timing belt but he drives it like he stole it. Other than that brakes, tires, a few small things here and there but nothing really costly til the belt. I did have a buddy that had one and he had nothing but issues after 120k miles. I attached a link with a lot of info if you are serious about buying one. https://vwtuning.co/vw-audi-2-0-tdi-engine-problems/

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Yeah. The power they get outa those things is unreal. Probably don't have the same options here, but this place has some cool stuff...

My son got a Jetta TDI after tthe scandal and has at least a stage 3 kit with all the deletes done. The thing will break tires in most gears and get 50+ mpg at 90 mph to havasu.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My got a Jetta TDI after tthe scandal and has at least a stage 3 kit with all the deletes done. The thing will break tires in most gears and get 50+ mpg at 90 mph to havasu.

I've HEARD people say they get 70mpg after having all the different Malone Tunes installed.

Sure wish I coulda found out.

Bilstein used to make a shock/spring kit to lower the car perfectly. Now I'm Really missing my car!

😭

Dunerking

Reaction score
Just sold my daughters 11 A3 TDI…as she didn’t care for it as much as I did. Prior to being sold VW/Audi replaced the whole fuel system as there was metal fragments in the fuel filter housing. The A3 would easily get low 40’s MPG. We also sold our 13 Cayenne diesel which the wife loved(I really wanted to put a tune on it) to her brother. It was an excellent SUV. The Cayenne would easily get upper 20’s/low 30’s MPG with mixed city highway driving. She now has a 23 Lexus NX450H+. I have my 04 Jetta TDI 5 spd commuter which has 230,+++ miles and still gets upper 40’s MPG. It has an upgraded turbo w/tune with Southbend clutch kit. I’d done my own motor service and would buy all OEM/Mann filters from IDPARTS. They are quirky cars but I still like running it.

Dunerking

Reaction score