WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gone

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Seems like the only one who claims to be able to get them to run right on smaller boats is Arneson themselves. They are bad ass for sure, but I’ve never see one work well on a smaller boat. That 1200HP Teague motored 21 Daytona comes to mind. I’d be interested to know why they don’t work. Lack of info or testing? Prop to far behind the transom?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Friend of mine put two of them on a single engine 26 foot Firehawk (I think it was called a firehawk.) It hauled the mail, ran a buck and a half.couldn't tell you if it did anything other than go really fast in a straight line.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I asked the same thing. Some of the peeps here said that surface drives are poor handling at lower speeds, and not the greatest in terms of docking and such. They look cool as hell though. A bit out of my league, a prop costs more than my boat...let alone a pair and all the stuff ahead of them;)

4Waters

Reaction score
Kinda what I thought too practical wise. Big bucks.
s-l400 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20191002-211500_Chrome.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/i/261346929642...yWIPGuGDq0uiGQcr4hs7SPS1PPliHwvBoCihAQAvD_BwE

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
That's a lot of fucking coin for what is arguably one of the simplest propulsion systems ever designed/built.

That being said I have heard the same about low speed handling but would love to drive one some day just to see what like.

I would also love to get my hands on a blackhawk to see how my boat would like it, if at all....

Dalton

Reaction score
be careful jumping off the back

spectras only

Reaction score
A member on the Donzi forum built one with Arneson drive for his 18 footer. He went way beyond 100 mph mark.;) Here's a pic of His boat.
GEO.jpg

Friend of mine had a Steve Jones built 28' deep V with single ASD 6 drive ca 1978, powered by a BB 460 ford, with twin turbos. Yeah, wasn't very good docking with the single setup, no problems with twins though.
I was inspired by the 28 footer my buddy had and built my own around 1982, using a 46" Prather hull.:) machined the entire drive using cable drive inside for steer ability, using a Pioneer chainsaw engine. Run a Octura 3 blade elephant ear prop.
Prather%20custom%204

prather1.JPG

prather2.JPG

Last edited:

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
A member on the Donzi forum built one with Arneson drive for his 18 footer. He went way beyond 100 mph mark.;) Here's a pic of His boat.
GEO.jpg

Friend of mine had a Steve Jones built 28' deep V with single ASD 6 drive ca 1978, powered by a BB 460 ford, with twin turbos. Yeah, wasn't very good docking with the single setup, no problems with twins though.
I'm having a tough time believing an 18' Donzi did 100 mph and the motor fit under the hatch.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
The drives can be had for way less then that price.

they even make a bolt on bravo replacement drive for around 18-20k each if I remember correctly.

you see a pair of the asd-6 or 8s used go for 25-30k with velvet drives included on offshore only

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
That's a lot of fucking coin for what is arguably one of the simplest propulsion systems ever designed/built.

That being said I have heard the same about low speed handling but would love to drive one some day just to see what like.

I would also love to get my hands on a blackhawk to see how my boat would like it, if at all....
Of all places, a Blackhawk was on CL here in central AZ. It was probably 2-3 months ago. No props, and asking 3k. I'd never seen one before. Same guy had a bunch of late 80s early 90s BBC aftermarket stuff, cranks, blocks, etc. I figured he ran out of money or interest and was selling off project parts.

farmo83

Reaction score
My theory on them they were way ahead of their time a while ago but as sterndrives have gotten better technology wise that gap has closed. As stated this is just a theory.

If they really were a better mouse trap I would think you would see more of them around. As far as cost goes by the time you get done doing up #6 or 8’s I wouldn’t think ASD would be that much more expensive(maybe even cheaper). Also enough people buy fast boats with blank checks and I would assume some of the builders would use them if they were that much better. I looked into the bravo conversion a while ago and it was in the 15-20k ball park which is right in line if not cheaper then buying a new done up IMCO SCX or dual downshaft lower.

The 21 eliminator with one never ran well. The drive would pick the back of the boat up enough that it was extremely unstable. I believe it got wrecked and Teague is in the process of putting an IMCO SCX 4 on it. I saw on a Jet Boat forum one time a guy put one on a Glastron Carlson CVX 20, why anyone would do this is beyond me, I was always real curious to know how it ran.

On blackhawk’s, a guy in our local hot boat group has a 22 foot Superboat with a 650 horse 540 and a black hawk. It’s stupid fast and gets there in a hurry. He said he actually needs bigger props but they only made a limited amount of sizes and he’s maxed out. He claims it runs over 100 and while I don’t know if I believe that it’s not far off.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
There was a company back in the 90s I believe saw the add in hotboat mag that made a similar set up to convert you're jet to an arnesen style drive system. I don't think it was Arneson but not sure.

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
My theory on them they were way ahead of their time a while ago but as sterndrives have gotten better technology wise that gap has closed. As stated this is just a theory.

If they really were a better mouse trap I would think you would see more of them around. As far as cost goes by the time you get done doing up #6 or 8’s I wouldn’t think ASD would be that much more expensive(maybe even cheaper). Also enough people buy fast boats with blank checks and I would assume some of the builders would use them if they were that much better. I looked into the bravo conversion a while ago and it was in the 15-20k ball park which is right in line if not cheaper then buying a new done up IMCO SCX or dual downshaft lower.

The 21 eliminator with one never ran well. The drive would pick the back of the boat up enough that it was extremely unstable. I believe it got wrecked and Teague is in the process of putting an IMCO SCX 4 on it. I saw on a Jet Boat forum one time a guy put one on a Glastron Carlson CVX 20, why anyone would do this is beyond me, I was always real curious to know how it ran.

On blackhawk’s, a guy in our local hot boat group has a 22 foot Superboat with a 650 horse 540 and a black hawk. It’s stupid fast and gets there in a hurry. He said he actually needs bigger props but they only made a limited amount of sizes and he’s maxed out. He claims it runs over 100 and while I don’t know if I believe that it’s not far off.

You must be talking about John? Sounds like it anyway. :)

Used to have some pics of a TX 20 with a surface drive on it, no idea how it ran, or where it was even from. Need to see if I still have them. Interesting for sure

Last edited:

farmo83

Reaction score
You must be talking about John? Sounds like it anyway. :)

Used to have some pics of a TX 20 with a surface drive on it, no idea how it ran, or where it was even from. Need to see if I still have them. Interesting for sure

I thought it was John's father in law's boat? John's Scarab and the SuperBoat engines are the same, Eddie Conrad built them. They both run like hell that's for sure.

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
I thought it was John's father in law's boat? John's Scarab and the SuperBoat engines are the same, Eddie Conrad built them. They both run like hell that's for sure.

Yes, it is. And yes, it does run like a mofo. John brought it to the river in Bay City few years ago, that was an interesting trip. :D

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I think the thing about the Arnesons is the fear of the unknown. Theres a lot of boats out there that run really well with arnesons, Hustler 388s, Cigarette Top Guns over in europe. I think the owners of these boats have a little deeper pockets for trail and error vs someone with a single engine family boat. Theres not a lot of single engine boats I've seen work well with Arnesons, the 21 Eliminator comes to mind, there was someone trying a 29 Force cat with one that never worked right. Not to say it can't be done, but may take a lot of time and money to do so and I think that scares off a lot of people.

To top it off, theres a big thread on OSO right now about a guy who was trying to put arnesons on his Velocity and wasn't getting the parts or support from Arneson. Seems they may have some customer service issues as of late...

Here's a 38' Formula with Arnesons that I've seen run. Crazy fast for a boat that size.:eek:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bod/d/sacramento-like-new-2002-formula-382/6986897013.html

That boat picked up a lot of speed with those Arnesons. It wouldn't run over 100 before they put those drives on it.

spectras only

Reaction score
To run a bigger boat with single engine, you need big power with dual Arnesons. My buddy's 28 footer took a mile getting on to speed, but managed to get it over 60 mph. Putt-Putt burned to the waterline while docked but the Arneson drive was saved. I should have bought it, he wanted $1500 for the whole setup. It was the stout bronze unit too.
Here's the boat [ 27 Magnum ] with single engine & dual Arnesons I'd give any of my toys for, even though maintenance would be a b...h.

Allison%20engine%20for%20Magnum.jpg

Magnum%20with%20Arneson.jpg

farmo83

Reaction score
I think the thing about the Arnesons is the fear of the unknown. Theres a lot of boats out there that run really well with arnesons, Hustler 388s, Cigarette Top Guns over in europe. I think the owners of these boats have a little deeper pockets for trail and error vs someone with a single engine family boat. Theres not a lot of single engine boats I've seen work well with Arnesons, the 21 Eliminator comes to mind, there was someone trying a 29 Force cat with one that never worked right. Not to say it can't be done, but may take a lot of time and money to do so and I think that scares off a lot of people.

To top it off, theres a big thread on OSO right now about a guy who was trying to put arnesons on his Velocity and wasn't getting the parts or support from Arneson. Seems they may have some customer service issues as of late...

That boat picked up a lot of speed with those Arnesons. It wouldn't run over 100 before they put those drives on it.

To your point as well I would think an Arneson would be about the most impractical thing possible for anything family related. The last thing I would want are my kids/friends doing anything in the water with that sharp prop sticking a feet out at surface level.

guest hs

Reaction score
All my v bottom rc boats run surface drives

Attachments

• FFDA2AFD-D701-4C4A-889A-FB5D62A30825.jpeg
    FFDA2AFD-D701-4C4A-889A-FB5D62A30825.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 98

Tank

Reaction score
Arneson's are cool and the design makes them basically bullet proof. My buddy had a set on a 38 Hustler and absolutely loved them! Liked them better than the #6 drives he has on his boat now. The problem has always been the company isn't run very well. Lots of potential but as for support or ease of dealing with them, not so great. They've been around a long time though, just never met their potential.

Recent post on OSO about some issues with a new Arneson build.
https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums...son-build-due-no-arneson-parts-need-help.html

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I almost bought a 27’ Carrera Cat with a 1200 hp blown bbc and and Asd-8 on it out of Nashville before I bought my cigarette. The owner said it went 128 at 7.5 psi which was detuned

Arneson says you have to run twin drives on a V hull but can run a single on a cat

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Probably gives better low speed rudder control since the drive is submerged then

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm thinking the ASD's work better on Vee's due to the extra transom lift they don't have the tunnels to help lift the rear. Also likely why they don't work too well on small Tunnels. Too much transom lift with those gigantic props so far behind the transom.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
To your point as well I would think an Arneson would be about the most impractical thing possible for anything family related. The last thing I would want are my kids/friends doing anything in the water with that sharp prop sticking a feet out at surface level.
Agreed for your every day family boat, although theres plenty of people who get cut up every year on bravo drives. For the big power boats, theres really no difference between the Arneson and a #6 drive, the props sit about the same spot.