WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Arcade games

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Anyone have one these 1Up machines?
Any feedback on them?
They're about 3/4 the physical size of normal arcade machines but full sized controls. Comes in a box, assembly required. With an available 1 foot pedestal it puts controls at normal height but I kind like the idea of sitting to play it.
Screenshot_20190613-113353_eBay.jpg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’d rather sit on my couch with a wireless controller, surround sound and a 75” screen [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Andy B.

Reaction score
Galaga is my all time favorite that and then donkey kong,defender not that this answers your question just mt .02.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I’d rather sit on my couch with a wireless controller, surround sound and a 75” screen [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Lol, that's so 2018...:cool: and certainly feels completely unnatural for 80's gaming.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Building a bar area in my house as part of a remodel. I am toying with a real pinball machine and one of the combined units like that with dozens of games. A packman table would not necessarily be out of the question.....

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Building a bar area in my house as part of a remodel. I am toying with a real pinball machine and one of the combined units like that with dozens of games. A packman table would not necessarily be out of the question.....
I have a glass top cocktail table arcade enroute. ;)
They also have counter top versions of all these machines too.

Last edited:

rvrrun

Reaction score
C6F16D22-A36A-4E2C-890C-4D606FAB1FF2.jpeg
Build one. Use an old computer with tv out and a 27" tv. I have full size plans for the cabinet or thou can buy that as an IKEA type kit. The software and roms are widely available and all of the controls are pretty cheap on eBay. Doing it this way will allow you to costomize the control panel for the games you play most. Mine has two eight way joysticks with buttons for Mortal Kombat, a four way for Pac Man, buttons laid out for Asteroids, a track ball for Centipede/Golden Tee, side buttons for pinball and a spinner for Tempest. Come on over if you ever want to try it out.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Build one. Use an old computer with tv out and a 27" tv. I have full size plans for the cabinet or thou can buy that as an IKEA type kit. The software and roms are widely available and all of the controls are pretty cheap on eBay. Doing it this way will allow you to costomize the control panel for the games you play most. Mine has two eight way joysticks with buttons for Mortal Kombat, a four way for Pac Man, buttons laid out for Asteroids, a track ball for Centipede/Golden Tee, side buttons for pinball and a spinner for Tempest. Come on over if you ever want to try it out.
I saw the software stuff too but liked the idea of just screwing it together with nice looking graphics for $199.
What part of Havasu you in?

rvrrun

Reaction score
Its in Torrance but I've been planning to take it to the Havi house when I finish it. I made a graphic for the control panel and marquee, as soon as they are printed I'll redo the control panel and truck it up there. This one is running one of my old Power Macs that has an s-video out for the TV, but the software is available for any PC and I have all of the ROMS if you can't find them.

You could even install it on your home PC and use the keyboard to control it while you build a cabinet.

Andy B.

Reaction score
Its in Torrance but I've been planning to take it to the Havi house when I finish it. I made a graphic for the control panel and marquee, as soon as they are printed I'll redo the control panel and truck it up there. This one is running one of my old Power Macs that has an s-video out for the TV, but the software is available for any PC and I have all of the ROMS if you can't find them.

You could even install it on your home PC and use the keyboard to control it while you build a cabinet.

You should do this on the side if you enjoy it and make some money pretty cool!

Socalx09

Reaction score
Neighbor in Corona has a side business doing arcade games and pinball machines in his garage. He fixes and sells them. Also does all the multi game in one system upgrades. Some of the stuff he has is crazy $$$ . It’s pretty cool. I always wanted the arcade game time crisis in the garage!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I like the sit down table style ones where two people sit across from each other. With multiple games to choose from, that would be slick.

outboard_256

Reaction score
if you make your own don't go too big on the screen. Went to someone's house that had a home built one with a 32" flat screen in it. Standing that close it was way to big, like sitting front row at a movie theater. Made it almost unplayable.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I like the sit down table style ones where two people sit across from each other. With multiple games to choose from, that would be slick.
They make the prefab cabinets for those as well. The limitation is the room for joysticks and buttons. Everything on these is USB so it would be easy to build a plug in expansion controller.

...or just build two cabinets

rrrr

Reaction score
My addiction was Asteroids.
For gameroom fun the couple hundy for this unit ain't too costly.

In the early 80s I was God on Asteroids. I would go to the Korean convenience store close to my house with one quarter and play for hours.

Asteroids rolls over the score at 100,000, so the goal was to kill off your extra spaceships, then hit the right rocks, and finally kill yourself so the score was 99,999. I had all 10 of the top scores on the machine, and all 10 were 99,999.

I had been married about three years at the time, and getting away from the psycho I married was also a plus. WTF was I thinking when I said "I do"? :confused:

rvrrun

Reaction score
In the early 80s I was God on Asteroids. I would go to the Korean convenience store close to my house with one quarter and play for hours.

Asteroids rolls over the score at 100,000, so the goal was to kill off your extra spaceships, then hit the right rocks, and finally kill yourself so the score was 99,999. I had all 10 of the top scores on the machine, and all 10 were 99,999.

I had been married about three years at the time, and getting time away from the psycho I married was also a plus. WTF was I thinking when I said "I do"? :confused:
I could do that with Pac Man at the local Straw Hat pizza. Once you learned the patterns, and that they repeat, it was easy to play for hours on a quarter.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Those machines seem pretty cool for the price. I have an NES classic here in Havasu.

rrrr

Reaction score
I could do that with Pac Man at the local Straw Hat pizza. Once you learned the patterns, and that they repeat, it was easy to play for hours on a quarter.

With Asteroids the key is being good enough to fly vertically across the screens at high speed when there's only small rocks on it, then turn the nose as you're flying by and blast a salvo at the little spaceship every time it shows up. That produces a thousand points for each kill.

Last year I took my 10 year old grandson to a classic arcade joint, it was $15 for all you could play. When we left, he had a whole new level of respect for Grandpa. :D

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

I had been married about three years at the time, and getting away from the psycho I married was also a plus. WTF was I thinking when I said "I do"? :confused:
And it had to be the OG Asteroids, never liked the Deluxe version much.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
My addiction was Asteroids.
For gameroom fun the couple hundy for this unit ain't too costly.

Hell yea about the Asteroids. Loved that game.
Costco had an Asteroid demo set up a few weeks ago. Wife had to wait a few minutes while I knocked some rocks apart. :D

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
With Asteroids the key is being good enough to fly vertically across the screens at high speed when there's only small rocks on it, then turn the nose as you're flying by and blast a salvo at the little spaceship every time it shows up. That produces a thousand points for each kill.

Vertically? As in up and down?
I always went horizontal, left to right.
You’re right though, 1000 points per hit until the fucker shot back and hit you.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Vertically? As in up and down?
I always went horizontal, left to right.
You’re right though, 1000 points per hit until the fucker shot back and hit you.
I went with whichever way the last little 'roid was predominantly flying.
Hated when you'd be hauling ass like that and the Fing saucer would hit or shoot the little asteroid. Instant death as the new set of rocks appeared.

rrrr

Reaction score
Yep, vertically. It was easier to move it left and right than flying horizontally and going up and down.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I went with whichever way the last little 'roid was predominantly flying.
Hated when you'd be hauling ass like that and the Fing saucer would hit or shoot the little asteroid. Instant death as the new set of rocks appeared.

Good point. If the last rock was cruising vertically then yea, it was a little tricky avoiding it by flying horizontal.

C-2

Reaction score
I started working at a pizza restaurant when I was 14 for $2/hr, 2 hrs a day. Scrubbing oil/flour caked pizza dough pans. It sucked, but later led to a regular position.

Friends would come in and drop $5 on video games in an hour or two.

I learned you could flatten a straw and manipulate the coin slot mechanism and rack up free credits on Donkey Kong. My money was tight, so that was my game. :)

Defender, Frogger, Galaga, Centipede, Tempest, loved them all.

And oh yeah, 50-60 different import beers and 6 beers on tap. I'm pretty sure that's where I picked up a really bad habit...

pronstar

Reaction score

Last year I took my 10 year old grandson to a classic arcade joint, it was $15 for all you could play. When we left, he had a whole new level of respect for Grandpa. :D

Where is this place?
I wanna go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pronstar

Reaction score
I love pinball...I always wanted one in my garage. My favorite is" whirlwind"....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah I’d love a pinball machine [emoji106]

milkmoney

Reaction score
Yeah I’d love a pinball machine [emoji106]

I am glad I was a cool kid and not a nerd , like these other assclowns and was into pinball ....
Lol

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I am glad I was a cool kid and not a nerd , like these other assclowns and was into pinball ....
Lol

So you're love of balls started at a young age???:D

milkmoney

Reaction score
So you're love of balls started at a young age???:D
Lol and banging them with flippers. You should see how excited I get with multiple balls [emoji39]

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My buddy has one of the one up machines. The 3/4 size is cool for one player 2 gets a little tight if you're both fat guys. He loves it though. He dayes a lot of chicks with kids and it gives yhe kids something to do...

rrrr

Reaction score
Where is this place?
I wanna go!

It's in an old strip mall on Main St in Richardson, east of 75 and a few blocks east of the DART track overhead. There's a Harbor Freight in the strip center.

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
I want to add a golden tee game to my casita. I have the perfect spot with the slot machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk