WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone reg. / insure Kodiak / F650 in California?

Tank

Reaction score
Eyeballing a kodiak. Just wondering if anyone has experience with how much insurance and registration is? It’s a C4500. Obviously won’t be commercially used.

Other option is to register it in havasu but again, don’t know what the reg cost would be there either. Anyone know?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Eyeballing a kodiak. Just wondering if anyone has experience with how much insurance and registration is? It’s a C4500. Obviously won’t be commercially used.

Other option is to register it in havasu but again, don’t know what the reg cost would be there either. Anyone know?

Who’s your auto insurance?

Dr Rob

Reaction score

Do you own any kind of an RV? If so you can insure the Kodiak and your RV as a package. Good Sam insurance will do this for you. I have a full size Volvo 780 semi that I pull my fifth wheel with. They insure my tractor and fifth wheel full coverage for $98 a month. And the fifth wheel does not have to be hooked to the Tractor all the time for it to be covered. I pull my Big Tex Trailer and my Jeep trailer behind the tractor all the time, no issues. Give Brandon a call at 314 493 8721. Tell him dr. Rob sent you.

Tank

Reaction score
Who’s your auto insurance?

Geico for auto
Progressive for boat.

Do you own any kind of an RV? If so you can insure the Kodiak and your RV as a package. Good Sam insurance will do this for you. I have a full size Volvo 780 semi that I pull my fifth wheel with. They insure my tractor and fifth wheel full coverage for $98 a month. And the fifth wheel does not have to be hooked to the Tractor all the time for it to be covered. I pull my Big Tex Trailer and my Jeep trailer behind the tractor all the time, no issues. Give Brandon a call at 314 493 8721. Tell him dr. Rob sent you.

No RV.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
The rig

Attachments

• IMG_5731.jpg
    IMG_5731.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 428

Dr Rob

Reaction score
It is worth buying a cheap tent trailer for 375 bucks and insure it with them because then they will insure all your vehicles. They cut my insurance 4 all six vehicles almost in half.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
The year will effect registration a lot. Being a 4500 will help you though with insurance. My 550 Ford wasn't too bad. Some companies won't cover you if it doesn't have a bed...I think they feel you'll use it as a commercial. Regardless, Havasu will be cheaper for you.

cuz_im_CR

Reaction score
IMG_0848.jpg

I don’t know if a motorhome is cheaper to register then a truck but I just paid my reg and it was $450

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
RV's are much cheaper than a commercial of the same size. Some states will allow a commercial, like a 10 wheeler, to be regged as an rv with no mods, and others require a bathroom, stove, sink...Once setup as an RV, much easier to both insure and tag. I'd really like to get an older semi to swap over...they pull the hills well;)

Dr Rob

Reaction score
RV's are much cheaper than a commercial of the same size. Some states will allow a commercial, like a 10 wheeler, to be regged as an rv with no mods, and others require a bathroom, stove, sink...Once setup as an RV, much easier to both insure and tag. I'd really like to get an older semi to swap over...they pull the hills well;)
600 horsepower, 2150 torque, what hill.lol

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Idk bout insurance, but I’d buy this one in a sec if it came up
View attachment 785879
I wonder what frame that sits on? Looks cool, and would probably tow some things great. I just know my 6500 front clip tilts on the top of the frame, which is about 9" tall. That would put it through axle centerline on that one. I wonder if it sits on a 1ton frame? Either way, would tow my boats just fine;)

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Do you know what dry weight of the Kodiak is? In AZ I can insure anything up to 10k dry on a standard auto policy. Will have to check CA tomorrow. Have done quite a few F450's, a few even for inmates.

Last edited:

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Not sure why, but insurance in Cali on "specialized" vehicles is getting tough. Allied insurance had my boat and my Kodiak. They dropped the boat (after 10 years and no claims) as it no longer fit their criteria or what ever they wanted to call it. All Good, got it insured elsewhere for a better rate. My agent told me they were going to drop the truck as well.
When I put the truck up for sale, my buddy wanted it but couldn't get it insured, even as an RV (that's how I had it insured, as the tow vehicle to my 5th wheel)
Guy I ended up selling it to had to insure it through his commercial insurance. Good luck!

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
My dad has his F650 insured thru Allstate now. Had it thru State Farm previously. Each time it’s jumping thru hoops because the normal auto insurers system will only show up to F350 so they want to call it commercial, but the commercial agents say it’s private since not used for commercial use. Took a lot of back and forth but it worked, you may just need to find the right agent who will work with you.

No idea about registration, but for what it’s worth the F650 is 15k empty and tagged for 26k gvwr. I’m guessing it’ll be very expensive lol.

Also take a look at this, hope that kodiak is a 2010 or newer or it looks like you’ll have to change the motor (absolutely ridiculous IMO)
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdi...31.275623189.1565567506-1004329619.1549333445

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
So the CARB stuff will effect it unless registered as an RV. Seems like that needs to be the goal from all directions.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
So the CARB stuff will effect it unless registered as an RV. Seems like that needs to be the goal from all directions.
Agreed, if you can get it register and insured as an RV, life will be much easier. But that’s easier said than done with just the truck.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

Did you drive it????

Tank

Reaction score
Keldermann Air Ride...they have a kit for Kodiaks as well as 550s, front and rear. Not cheap, but real nice.
It’s all good. Dude sold the one I was looking at. The search continues.

Tank

Reaction score
Lol you guys are funny. I said in some other threads I don’t want to spend big money on a vehicle I’ll only put 5k miles a year on (at the most). This kodiak was a great deal though. So good it sold in a few days. Say la vi

Your ad here

Reaction score
Bigger trucks are cool and tuff looking but in all reality they are a bitch. The GM 4500/5500s are bulky, slow, ride like crap, and a bitch to park. Drive one at work and don't enjoy it. Drove a 2002 F450 for years and it was a lot better since it's still a F250 cab. Being a 4500 you have no choice but to go commercial unless you can RV it somehow. You'll need CA numbers, motor carrier permit, weigh stickers, and a minimum 3/4 million dollar insurance policy. With all that now you will need to stop at scales. Depending on the model year you won't be able to register it in Ca after a certain year. A 3500 dually with a pickup bed is all around the best. Can handle a load and comfortable to travel in.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Bigger trucks are cool and tuff looking but in all reality they are a bitch. The GM 4500/5500s are bulky, slow, ride like crap, and a bitch to park. Drive one at work and don't enjoy it. Drove a 2002 F450 for years and it was a lot better since it's still a F250 cab. Being a 4500 you have no choice but to go commercial unless you can RV it somehow. You'll need CA numbers, motor carrier permit, weigh stickers, and a minimum 3/4 million dollar insurance policy. With all that now you will need to stop at scales. Depending on the model year you won't be able to register it in Ca after a certain year. A 3500 dually with a pickup bed is all around the best. Can handle a load and comfortable to travel in.
I really have to agree. For most boats and RVs, the modern 1tons are pretty capable. I don't know how heavy Tank's boat is, or what he'd like to move up to eventually. For long hauls and heavy stuff, an MDT, like a 650 or Kodiak, is pretty nice. Surprisingly, the heavy trucks, like the above posted inmate's, turn and park really well. The drawbacks though are probably not worth it for most boat owners. Not just tags and insurance, but maintaining a beast, or minor repairs, get pricey if you are paying someone else. At least a one ton can be worked on by any dealer or local shop.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Um. Hate to burst your bubble but carb aint gonna let you have it soon. They are in cahoots with DMV as of Jan 1 large vehicles like that must be registered with carb before registering it with dmv. If its a full on rv....not towing one....then your golden

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
With a ram 3500 dually able to tow 35,000 lbs. I don’t see the reason to mess around with an old 650 or the like Now if cost is no option, sure a new hauler of some sort is cool.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Ram 2500 6.4l Hemi will tow your boat just fine. Ask me how I know lol

Also a Ram 2500 Cummins will tow it great ask me how I know.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Um. Hate to burst your bubble but carb aint gonna let you have it soon. They are in cahoots with DMV as of Jan 1 large vehicles like that must be registered with carb before registering it with dmv. If its a full on rv....not towing one....then your golden
Toters with living quarters would be safe from smog Nazis then?

Tank, we need to up your budget...you "need" a Freightliner with a Renegade conversion...and a driver. That way you and the family can watch movies and arrive in full pimp style!
:D:D:D
Much easier to spend other people's money;)

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Toters with living quarters would be safe from smog Nazis then?

Tank, we need to up your budget...you "need" a Freightliner with a Renegade conversion...and a driver. That way you and the family can watch movies and arrive in full pimp style!
:D:D:D
Much easier to spend other people's money;)
If its an “RV” its exempt.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
This very thing is threatening my way of life in this fucked off state. I had to give up my water truck, and two f550s because of this. My drill also in jeopardy as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is why I moved to Nevada in 1985 and never looked back.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
If its an “RV” its exempt.
Yep RVs are exempt from nearly ALL regulations it seems! Air brakes? No prob. Gross weight of 50k? No CDL. Emissions? Don’t worry about it. The RV industry must have one hell of a lobby group in Congress.
Damn, the way that's written, it's all diesels, including pickups. I don't see that going well at all for a lot of people. I knew laws had changed somewhere around 2012, because my old neighbor in Cali had to sell some of his trucks and upgrade, but damn!
Only if the GVWR is over 14k. Most 1 tons and below that are older than 2010 are gonna fall below 14k anyway. But I agree, it’s an attack on diesel trucks!

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Yep RVs are exempt from nearly ALL regulations it seems! Air brakes? No prob. Gross weight of 50k? No CDL. Emissions? Don’t worry about it. The RV industry must have one hell of a lobby group in Congress.

Only if the GVWR is over 14k. Most 1 tons and below that are older than 2010 are gonna fall below 14k anyway. But I agree, it’s an attack on diesel trucks!
It always bugged me that a 70yo lady from the frozen north could be allowed to drive a 50,000lb bus with airbrakes, and I had to get a special license to drive a 6 wheel truck:confused: