WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone know where I can find 22 inch Diameter concrete Sono tubes in Phoenix

Cdog

Reaction score
F5904F55-4B5A-4A8A-9689-BB17CE163134.jpeg
I’m starting a 20X16 Pavillon project for my back yard and the footings call for these big ass tubes.

The local HD & Lowes stores only carry 12 inch diameter tubes.

Help!!!

Your ad here

Reaction score
HD Supply Whitecap. They still sell if you don't have an account their. Just ask for account pricing to save a few bucks.

Your ad here

Reaction score
They carry them or are they an order item? Mother effers close at 4pm. wTF!!
I know I can get one same day here in Southern California between 5 locations. In Phoenix I'm sure at least next day at the latest.

goshen82

Reaction score
For 24 inch you need to use a bobcat or mini ex with an auger attachment on it

Cdog

Reaction score
For 24 inch you need to use a bobcat or mini ex with an auger attachment on it

Thats what I was thinking. I think I’ll rent the 18 inch and shovel out the rest.

Icky

Reaction score
Depending on how many Boulders are underground, you may have a problem using an auger. Usually that size auger is attached to a bobcat or equivalent.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
"Hub Has It" has a location in Phoenix I believe. That's where I would start.

Cdog

Reaction score
Depending on how many Boulders are underground, you may have a problem using an auger. Usually that size auger is attached to a bobcat or equivalent.

My pool had a soft dig with no rocks. Should be good.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
HUB, and you likely won’t find 22in. Either 20” or 24”.
There is one in Havasu for sure. Not sure in Phoenix

You can order online from hubhasitall and search form tubes

Edit: if in a pinch as in need to pour ASAP then just dig them by hand 24” x 48” deep can be hand dug pretty quick especially in non rocky soil, and you wouldn’t even need tubes the extra material in footing would be less cost then searching all over and paying for shipping on tubes anyway

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I’m having a hard time finding one that big. 16-18 inch is all I’m finding online.

http://www.a-zequipment.com/Eqrent_Catalog_Post_Hole_Diggers_Towable.html

Hey groundhog, No sonotube needed. Using a 16"-18" auger you can easily enlarge your hole diameter to 20"+ by slowly pivoting the machine back and forth while drilling. Another tip for increasing hole size with shovel is drill angled hole extra deep. (Drop a bucket w/rope into deep holes for easier clean-out) then using shovel or frost bar shave off undermined dirt from top side into bucket/hole. Auger out loose spoils or tamp well to avoid removing dirt.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Another easy way to dig the hole is to have someone dig it for you. 2' by 4' hole isn't that bad when there aren't any rocks. How many holes you need dug?

Cdog

Reaction score
So after some consultation, I’m going to prep everything tomorrow, rent a skid steer with the 24 inch auger on Friday, handle my rebar and order a mix truck for Sat morning. Hopefully I’ll be finishing assembly on Sunday.

rrrr

Reaction score
That's a strange detail drawing.

I don't think sonotube should be used on an in ground pier. The vertical friction bearing component of the concrete to soil interface would be absent, and it would not provide the same weight bearing strength. Besides that, you would have to overexcavate the hole somewhat to put the sonotube in. Then what? How do you backfill it properly?

And what the hell is the steel angle specified? 1 3/8 X 4 X 1/8 X 3 3/8?

Attach to concrete Pier with one 1/2" dia X 4" screw anchor? Huh?

I'm not a civil engineer or concrete guy, but it looks very odd to me.

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
That's a strange detail drawing.

I don't think sonotube should be used on an in ground pier. The vertical friction bearing component of the concrete to soil interface would be absent, and it would not provide the same weight bearing strength. Besides that, you would have to overexcavate the hole somewhat to put the sonotube in. Then what? How do you backfill it properly?

I'm not a civil engineer or concrete guy, but that's how it looks to me.

Trust me. I’d rather be working on my race car. But in order to have money for my race car I’ve got to figure out how to do this myself. Haha!

I’ve now ditched the sonotube idea and digging a 2 ft x 4 foot footing. 6 of them.

rrrr

Reaction score
That's a much better plan. You would waste hours screwing around with the sonotube.

NicPaus

Reaction score
And what the hell is the steel angle specified? 1 3/8 X 4 X 1/8 X 3 3/8?

Attach to concrete Pier with one 1/2" dia X 4" screw anchor? Huh?

I'm not a civil engineer or concrete guy, but it looks very odd to me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you would think a normal post base imbedded in concrete. I have used those screw anchors for ledgers but not to hold a post in a fresh pour. Engineer could probably change it to post base easily if faster and cheaper than angle steel.