WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any card playing families ?

Wolskis

Reaction score
Growing up in Wisconsin you started playing cards early. It started with War than on to Gin, Kings Corner, Crazy Eight, Cribbage, Rummy Royal & Sheepshead.Visiting my daughter all week we have been playing each night. Fun times.

sintax

Reaction score
Growing up, family events at my grandparents house would always end with cards. People would be full from dinner, sitting around playing Tripoley, or cribbage. I was usually too young to play, but when I got older I got a few games in before the old guys all passed away. Its a fun tradition that I wish more people took up...

rvrrun

Reaction score
All great games. We play mostly at the river, but occasionally at home and have a poker night once a month.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I have always loved playing spades, gin, and rummy.

I also love playing some five card draw but all people want to play these days is hold 'em. Thank you world series of poker for that one

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Growing up, family events at my grandparents house would always end with cards. People would be full from dinner, sitting around playing Tripoley, or cribbage. I was usually too young to play, but when I got older I got a few games in before the old guys all passed away. Its a fun tradition that I wish more people took up...
All we got was hit in the head with a shoe to change Chanel or get a new beer , witch as I got older took the 1st big pull off that beer so the it came as the 1st Light beer in town lol ;)

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Anyone who’s been in the service has learned to play cards. Lol. Hours upon hours of spades and hearts. Yuker (spelling?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arch stanton

Reaction score
my grandparents taught my brothers and me Bridge,Samba, Cribbage and chess. We played in the evenings we lived on a farm with no TV cable and only a few channels on the antenna.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I love to play cribbage, but only with people that can play.

I haven’t played cribbage in over 20 years but I can see now how it could be rather frustrating waiting for us who couldn’t count them out as fast as grandpa could.

buck35

Reaction score
I used to play with a fella on breaks and he would call out your points about a second after you played the last Card in your hand. He was crazy good and quick. It was a treat anytime I could.beat him.

Singleton

Reaction score
Just picked up Right or Racist today for the family vacation.
We also play 31, Dr Pepper, Black Bottom, a ton of poker variations and hearts.

Demoman

Reaction score
Old German family on my dads side that loved to play Cribbage. I remember a family reunion on Lake Shasta with 5 house boats. Big tournament between the entire family ages 8 to 90
The last night was the championship game between my great Uncle Ole and my aunt Kelly. Was pretty funny seeing 5 house boats parked on a beach with people sitting on the roofs and patios watching a card game like it was the Super Bowl. Great memories!!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I enjoy cribbage, been playing it with my dad since I was about 10. He learned on the linecrew, since that is what the foreman played when he was an apprentice.

All the lineman I've been around play "Pitch" which is a variation of Hearts from what I can tell, never did figure that game out.

Kids are still to young to play right now, so I have an app on my phone. It'll actually count the cards for you if you want... LOL!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Not a card game, but we’ve been playin a lot of Left-Right-Center for $3 dollars a game lately. It’s a fun game, and it’s all dumb luck whoever wins, lol. So your friends who suck at cards can still have fun :D

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Grew up playing Spades, Canasta (my favorite version currently is Hand & Foot) Crazy 8's etc.

Grandparents taught me Cribbage, but I was too young to get decent at it hah.

I'll play anything, Poker, Blackjack etc. I do like playing Solitaire as well, something soothing about playing it with actual cards.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Our parents played dealer choice poker, usually had at least one wild card. Usually nickel, dime, quarter with a 3 raise limit. Us kids would watch and learn all the games. Then have our own game playing with pennies. First saw what is now known as Texas Hold Em, but then it was called Tokyo Boogie Woogie. Low hole nine, Chicago, After the Aces, Baseball and 727 to name a few.

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Not a card game, but we’ve been playin a lot of Left-Right-Center for $3 dollars a game lately. It’s a fun game, and it’s all dumb luck whoever wins, lol. So your friends who suck at cards can still have fun :D
Favorite game at the River, guys trips, but you need to add the drinking option roll doubles cost you a shot, triples 2 shots,
And my all time best is delay of game costs you a shot, many bottles of tequila died on my patio table!

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
My wife's family were excellent Pinocle players. I did my best to keep up. Good game. 3 handed Pinocle is a great game with knowledgeable players. Learned cribbage on So Cal sportfishing boats when I was a teenager. Also a great game.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Yes a lot of cards being played at my family events over the years! Always Dealers Choice All games consisted of money. Herbie baseball Left Right Center poker just to name a few every time the family got together cards were played in drinks were drunk.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I like a good game of cribbage, spades, hearts and 31. Wife and I used to play hearts with the neighbors till they moved. I used to play cribbage at lunch when I worked at Boeing.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
All variations of Gin in my house.

Been wanting to get a Backgammon board...

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
My wife's family were excellent Pinocle players. I did my best to keep up. Good game. 3 handed Pinocle is a great game with knowledgeable players. Learned cribbage on So Cal sportfishing boats when I was a teenager. Also a great game.
Man the thing I miss most about MI, is playing pinnocle and euchre....Play them online now, but it ain't the same without family and friends.

Always looking for folks that play euchre, but few in TX even have heard of the game. In college our dorm room was euchre central. Hours on end.....

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Man the thing I miss most about MI, is playing pinnocle and euchre....Play them online now, but it ain't the same without family and friends.

Always looking for folks that play euchre, but few in TX even have heard of the game. In college our dorm room was euchre central. Hours on end.....
My wife plays euchre. Left and right bower etc? I think it's popular in the mid west.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Our family had a cabin in the San Bernadino mountains. The adults all slept upstairs and all of us kids downstairs. They had a big octagon poker table they would sit-up in front of the open hearth fireplace. In the winter there was always a fire burning. Late into the night sounds of laughter, helped along by lots of cocktails, could often be heard clear downstairs from those family poker games. Good times for all of us.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
My wife plays euchre. Left and right bower etc? I think it's popular in the mid west.
Yup. 24 cards used, 9-Ace

4 people, 2 on 2. Jacks are high cards, left off suit color ranks 2, right of suit ranks 1. Best of 3 of 5, wins 1 point. Loaner, take all 5= 4 points. All 5 with partner 2 points. Set/"euchre" team that calls, 2 points. Play to 10.

A bit more complicated and played with multiple decks according to how many players, usually 8 , is Bid euchre. Great fun

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
As a kid I always looked forward to playing 31 at family gatherings in hopes of coming home with the pot. Started out at 15 cents then went up to 75 cents as we were in middle school. We also played spades. Those were good times. Thanks for the reminder and bringing up great memories of my grandparents.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Five Crowns is one our go to games. Also Phase 10.

Hahaha! Those are the two we play all the time So much fun! I suck at both but damn they are great! Five Crowns is definitely the go to for my wofe and I when we travel by plane. it makes the trip go by so fast.