WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A Picture Thread about Sailboat Racing in Newport RI

JJ McClure

Reaction score
1EC57FFE-654F-435E-9277-57AFC43B0F7E.jpeg

I’m the skinny dude going below. Red hat. Tall black socks. Hate along...
DB7BC6E2-C2BB-4275-95E1-E12D850A4CC7.jpeg
Thanks a spinnaker...provides 23 knots downwind.
45B5B77C-6D2D-44F1-AA47-0A3418F809C4.jpeg
Don’t lose a spinnaker sheet, umm, rope, but ours are Kevlar.
0EB5BC5D-D82E-4AC3-BBBC-C0BDF4088F9A.jpeg
The boat owners back yard... again. Not my money. I just sail for fun. OG Iwo Jima sculpture. Damn cool. Out of order follow along
E87DE587-4070-4EB6-8E7B-64309AF2BEFF.jpeg
New York Yacht Club is in Newport. Just another Saturday afternoon.

Next up on my list of things to do at rdp.... Skinny Bike AH photos

But I hope you enjoy and ask questions about the oldest form of boating in the world. Besides floating
D3CF706F-BEED-4D34-A8E1-6FCEC91374AA.jpeg

Apologies. Hard to do this. Photos won’t load in order. Rd Sux.

kurtis500

Reaction score
And so it begins....
seriously, you didnt expect people to poke fun at you? Part of this place is brushing it off and having fun.

It looks fun and most people would enjoy it. Just learn how to laugh at yourself when one thread is about DCB's doing 160 and the other is about sailboats.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Sitting in a dingy and sailing alone is lame. I’ve done it. Doing team sailing like americas cup? I’d do that because it’s probably fun and takes skill and racing a sailboat is still a thrill for the speeds they can achieve in silence.

Would I pick sailing over getting to pilot or throttle an offshore race boat? Nope, but so far no one is offering.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Sailing is actually pretty cool. My dad has had sailboats for many years. I prefer powerboats of course, but still enjoy sailing on occasion.

Don’t worry about all these limp dick inmates… they still call a fender a buoy 😁😁

Backlash

Reaction score
Tell these guys to "Eat a bowl of dicks" and carry on! 👍👍

I don't own a sailboat, but would love to someday. Yeah yeah yeah, so what! 😜

I follow several folks online who have made a living while sailing around the world, traveling to far off places that most of us could only dream of. It sure looks appealing to me! I would love to see more pictures of the boat you sail, including the interior structure of the hull, the rigging, etc. The technology and materials used to build sailboats today is absolutely incredible!!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Screw the haters. We used to belong to a club. Was checked out up to 34 foot. I always wanted to get on a trans Pac Or something similar as a grinder. Would still love to do Newport Ensenada, or the Baja ha ha.
Spent three days on a trimerian at Santa Cruz Island. Great time, quiet relaxing.
The Tactics and logistics in sailboat racing is insane. Love it.
Never understood “boaters” who hate on other forms of the Boat Life.

JJ McClure

Reaction score
Tell these guys to "Eat a bowl of dicks" and carry on! 👍👍

I don't own a sailboat, but would love to someday. Yeah yeah yeah, so what! 😜

I follow several folks online who have made a living while sailing around the world, traveling to far off places that most of us could only dream of. It sure looks appealing to me! I would love to see more pictures of the boat you sail, including the interior structure of the hull, the rigging, etc. The technology and materials used to build sailboats today is absolutely incredible!!
Maybe even a giant bag of dicks. I watch Archer too. Lol. As far as that boat. I don’t own a sailboat either. No real interior photos. Maybe find a few more outside. Have to look. There’s nothing in there. It’s a 53’ carbon sled. 20,000 pounds total displacement and 10,000 is in the keel. 1 carbon head. 2 burner alcohol stove. A yeti cooler and a nav station. Oh. And six pipe rack bunks. She’s stripped out for weight. Originally built in NZ for the Sydney Hobart race. Thanks for asking questions. Knowledge is key. 😊

JJ McClure

Reaction score
Screw the haters. We used to belong to a club. Was checked out up to 34 foot. I always wanted to get on a trans Pac Or something similar as a grinder. Would still love to do Newport Ensenada, or the Baja ha ha.
Spent three days on a trimerian at Santa Cruz Island. Great time, quiet relaxing.
The Tactics and logistics in sailboat racing is insane. Love it.
Never understood “boaters” who hate on other forms of the Boat Life.
We did Newport Ensenada back in the day. Santa Cruz 72. Crazy back then. We never got off the boat. Had tacos and margaritas delivered.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Sailing is the most fun you can have at 6 knots! Looks like a great time...

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Sailing in that form impresses the hell out of me. A little Hobie Cat in the bay, not the same. Something that size, crewed by people that have a clue, is cool. There are many that can swipe a card, and go fast. On those, there's at least one card swiper, but a whole lot of work to make it go.

It looks cool to do, and challenging, but I would probably drown :oops:

JJ McClure

Reaction score
Sailing in that form impresses the hell out of me. A little Hobie Cat in the bay, not the same. Something that size, crewed by people that have a clue, is cool. There are many that can swipe a card, and go fast. On those, there's at least one card swiper, but a whole lot of work to make it go.

We take 22 folks. Plus the owner. 11 of us make the boat go fast. The rest are moveable ballast. 16-17 knots upwind. 22-23 knots downwind. The know you can do the math MW. 😂. It’s pretty cool man, quiet, fast, work and sometimes scary af.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Did I ever tell you about the time I got invited to sail to Catalina for the day, on some super fast sail boat??

We motored over in the morning on glass. Took Maybe an hour or so.

Waiting for the wind to come up so we could haul ass back to long Beach!

SEVEN hours later we made it back. I've never been SO pissed off in my entire life!!!

Jezuz what a waste of time. 😡

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Did I ever tell you about the time I got invited to sail to Catalina for the day, on some super fast sail boat??

We motored over in the morning on glass. Took Maybe an hour or so.

Waiting for the wind to come up so we could haul ass back to long Beach!

SEVEN hours later we made it back. I've never been SO pissed off in my entire life!!!

Jezuz what a waste of time. 😡
Apparently you've never had the joy of losing a motor north of Avi...takes forever to float down to Needles! At least you went out knowing you were going for wind power.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Love sailing...wish I could do more of it...took lessons at OCC...most fun my wife and I had....just back/forth across the bay learning the wind/boat... started there and then sailed the big cats 58' on our own in BVI...can't wait to go back and do some smaller mono hulls...single handed.... these boats now and their furling mains and jibs make it so easy to single hand these boats....

Love the pictures....got to imagine a ton of fun shit talking in those yacht clubs before and after races...

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I started out with a Laser sailboat, and then a hobie 16. Both boats were a lot of fun.

MOUZER

The Legend
Reaction score
that new hydro foil stiff sails sailing is bull shit u see now a days

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have belonged to a club in Newport Beach for more than 25 years and had my own rag boat for 15 before that. We go to Catalina at least once a year and sitting on a can in a 42 footer at the Isthmus is my happy place. Would love to do the Ensenada race someday, several club members do and have won in their category. One of our best vacations was bareboating a sailing catamaran in Abaco. Sheer bliss!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
A lot of the technology we have as power boaters came from the sailing world. Infusion lay up schedules would be a good example of that.

I always wanted to sail around the world.. the problem is I don’t like fish. 😳. I’d likely starve to death unless the boat was massive.. lol

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
We take 22 folks. Plus the owner. 11 of us make the boat go fast. The rest are moveable ballast. 16-17 knots upwind. 22-23 knots downwind. The know you can do the math MW. 😂. It’s pretty cool man, quiet, fast, work and sometimes scary af.
Nothing like boiling the rails with a good swell!😉