WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kyle Kerby

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sorry if it's a dumb question or has been answered (I searched but didn't find anything). I've got a '71 Schiada flat bottom I inherited from my old man. I'm getting her back on the water and will have the engine done this month, but had a "creature comfort" question. The torque tube was always a limiting factor in rear seat width on this boat when I was a kid, and I was wondering if there is a way to use a solid driveshaft, thus being able to reduce the tube by probably half so I can add a few inches to seat width in the back. I'd like to enclose the tube with a center upholstery down to the floor to keep feet and other things away from the prop shaft coupler. Obviously with the v drive (Casale) and motor being fixed to the stringers there's not really any need for U Joints (provided that engine to v drive alignment is correct) but I can't find anything about this anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions where I can find some info on doing this? Or if there's a reason not to that I'm overlooking? It'll be somewhere between 500-500hp so nothing wild that a good driveshaft won't work for. I pit crew on a blown alcohol nostalgia drag car that's 2000+hp and we run a solid driveshaft so that's where I got the idea. Anyway, let me know if anyone has any thoughts or experience here, thanks!

69hondo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sorry if it's a dumb question or has been answered (I searched but didn't find anything). I've got a '71 Schiada flat bottom I inherited from my old man. I'm getting her back on the water and will have the engine done this month, but had a "creature comfort" question. The torque tube was always a limiting factor in rear seat width on this boat when I was a kid, and I was wondering if there is a way to use a solid driveshaft, thus being able to reduce the tube by probably half so I can add a few inches to seat width in the back. I'd like to enclose the tube with a center upholstery down to the floor to keep feet and other things away from the prop shaft coupler. Obviously with the v drive (Casale) and motor being fixed to the stringers there's not really any need for U Joints (provided that engine to v drive alignment is correct) but I can't find anything about this anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions where I can find some info on doing this? Or if there's a reason not to that I'm overlooking? It'll be somewhere between 500-500hp so nothing wild that a good driveshaft won't work for. I pit crew on a blown alcohol nostalgia drag car that's 2000+hp and we run a solid driveshaft so that's where I got the idea. Anyway, let me know if anyone has any thoughts or experience here, thanks!
Solid drivelines on flattys are pretty comon. You should post this in the V-drive section. It will get more responses.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Yes it’s possible but…
The center line of the crank must hit the center of the v drive, and the flywheel and v drive input shaft must be parallel. +\- a degree. Probably not happening with the older v box.
Build a wider seat.

Nailhead

Reaction score
There's a few guys using a sprint car type driveline with U joints and a splined axle deal. That could work for you but it isn't a cheap alternative. Our old Schiada flat had the standard driveshaft with a back to back bench in it with hump built in for the driveline cover