Story and photos by DinaRella / Aerials from HK Powersports and Evan Walsh

Does your boat live up to its name and do what it says? Twin Top Guns "Wound UP and Un Wound" sure did as they took flight winding up some gnarly New Hampshire waters two weeks back. Being together made it all the more fun, but for these two Cigs, seems par for the course! That morning, during event registration for the HK Powersports "Easter Seals" Poker Run at the NASWA Resort, the 38-footers were also paired-up side-by-side in the middle of the marine machinery.

Far from the first time Jason Galvin's purple and orange 2004 Top Gun spent time next to Richie Poillucci's red and silver 2012-year edition, the Lake Winnipesaukee regulars share neighboring slips a few miles away at Lakeport Landing Marina. But the bond between boating buddies runs deeper than dock space. Seven years ago, Jason bought Wound UP from Richie!

1 Twin TG tips.JPG
2 2004 Wound UP TG.jpg
3 2012 Un Wound TG.JPG
4 Aerial NASWA dock credit HK Powersports.JPG

6 Stu Jones and Jason Galvin.JPG

7 Richie Poillucci.JPG

The Boats

As details kept unraveling, so were dock lines in preparation for take-off. With that, Wound UP became RDP's ride du jour and amid the rumbling inboards, Jason continued, "My last two boats were a 242 and 353 FASTech, but, I always wanted a Cigarette. During the build process for each of his boats, Richie had been to the factory many times. He's very meticulous like myself, and I told him to let me know when he was ready to sell." That day arrived when he and his wife Donna decided to give cruiser life a try with a 35' Formula FX. (Actually, Donna gets full credit for the attempted conversion!)

Just prior to putting the keys in Jason's hand, the Lip-Ship Edition from Phil in Miami had been completely re-done right down to the gauges and upholstery. Bumping up WOT a few notches to 92 mph, the 525s were swapped for 575s by Ron Potter (and only had 14 hours on them when he took possession.) "What I love most is the overall look of the boat. Grafikworx Designs did the paint. It's timeless with Cigarette running along the sides," says Jason before adding, "I think Richie's happy the boat is in good hands."

8 Wound UP and Un Wound.jpg

9 2004 Top Gun Wound UP.JPG

10 Wound UP twin 575s.JPG

11 Un Wound cockpit.JPG
12 2012 twin Merc 575s.JPG

With Richie, the Poillucci family performance cruiser plan was short-lived, as he recalls those two long Cigarette-less years, "I just couldn't do it anymore. I've been building Cigarettes since I was a kid." For the sequel to Wound UP, he veered west to Scott Ryerson at Suncoast Powerboats in Sarasota. Recently re-commissioned, his latest Top Gun Un Wound comes out to play with a fresh interior from Mike Mears and his team at Fineline Marine in Hallandale Beach and new motors and drives from Innovation Marine.

And if Un Wound looks like you've seen it around, you have, sort-of! It was the role model for the Florida Powerboat Club's prized Project 1080-turned-Flight 1130 resto-mod makeover. "Stu loved the color combo and it was his inspiration," proudly says Richie.

13 PR time.JPG
14  Wound UP crew.JPG

17 Mike Alyssa Galvin.JPG
15 PR start.JPG
16 Richie & crew.JPG

18 Card stop.jpg

19 Aerial Top Guns.JPG
20 Cheryl Garvey.JPG

21 Alton Bay.jpg

22 M Galvin Formula.JPG

"Top Gun" Special-Ops

Bouncing beautifully off Lake Winni's washing machine-like waters from its every-which-way traffic flow, both Guns behaved as they should. Then, somewhere between card stops at Largo's in Meredith and Shibleys in Alton Bay, it happened. We were momentarily transplanted into the "Danger Zone" for our own "Top Gun" movie segment!

Hammering along in sync with Un Wound to our right and Jason's parents Mike and Joann in their 353 FASTech (pictured above) not far off, a special-ops looking helicopter suddenly appeared out of thin air. It wasn't a MiG-28, but it could have been Maverick doing the maneuvers practically on top of us. Strangely, even after a visit by Jason to the local airport, it's a mystery who this was, and no aerial footage has surfaced.

Quite possibly topping the stealth fly-by in terms of loudness and awesomeness, with no less than eight speakers (that I counted), was the upgraded JL Marine Audio system installed by Matt Resca at Supreme Marine (of Laconia not Fort Lauderdale). Pumping out anthems like my all-time Kid Rock fav "Blue Jeans And A Rosary" and "F U" from CeeLo Green... I still can't get out of my mind the next-level sound quality.

23 Throttles down.JPG

24 Heli 1.jpg
25 Heli 2.JPG

26 Heli 3.JPG

A Looney Bin of Flamingos
The happy bunch of boaters on board were as unforgettable as the tunes. So much so, day turned to night and I Wound Up with Jason, his girlfriend Cheryl Garvey-Burnham and their buddies Lerry, Clyde and Dawnmarie again. This time in a Looney Bin full of flamingos. Why everyone in a Laconia bar in biker country was dressed in flamingo gear, to the point of pink blinking lights on girls' dresses, was beyond me? And why were all the Koozies from Sloppy Joe's and the Hog's Breath Saloon?

Eventually stepping out of the air-co to the back terrace, the Looney Bin antics started to make more sense... not because of the 10' inflatable pink bird on the roof, but because Key West's Cliff Cody was on stage for his traditional summer visit, and these were all his northern fans paying homage.

27 Mike Joann Galvin family.JPG
28 Looney Bin.JPG

29 Cliff Cody.JPG

30 Looney Bin Flamingo Party.JPG

From winding up on the Top Gun to winding down at the Looney Bin, RDP thanks Jason Galvin for having us! For full poker run event coverage, click here!

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/for...in-record-boat-count-and-charity-amount.1213/
  • Love
Reactions: Tank and RichL