WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lights on the Parker Strip (and other waterways)

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
There's been discussion of lighting along the Parker Strip. I just want to put out the facts regarding the subject.

1) Who would install and maintain the lights?

In order to mark a Federal Waterway, either with shore lights or buoys (called Navigation "Aids"), there would need to be approval by the US Coast Guard. The lights would be required to be installed and maintained by a Government Agency.

But who?

Along the California side, you have BLM, State of California, San Bernardino County and CRIT. Arizona, you have BLM, State of Arizona, La Paz County & CRIT. Who would step up and do this and where would the money come to install and maintain them? So far, no one has the ability, funds or insurance authorization to do so.

Once an aid is placed, the entity that placed it is required to maintain it through perpetuity (that means forever, for those of you in the 909). If an aid is off station or a light is out, and not promptly re-set or re-lit, and an accident occurs, the entity that is responsible for it, can be sued for negligence.

Not to mention, publishing brochures, maps, charts, etc. that describe where the aid is, what it's characteristics are (color, height, flash interval, etc)

2) Vandalism

Everyone has seen the buoys already located on the Strip. Including the boom barriers up by the dam. They are covered by various stickers, labels and other junk that idiots have stuck on them. I'll even bet that some on here who are saying we need lights or aids out here are responsible for some of those stickers. Not to mention that lights themselves and their solar systems are frequently stolen or purposefully damaged. The no-wake buoys marking the entrances to the Keys are perfect examples. (A homeowners association, like in the Moovalya Keys, is considered a quasi-government agency for navigation aid purposes, as they control a portion of the waterway.)

3) Navigation in general.

Night time navigation relies on the operators night vision. A person who takes sufficient time to let their vision become accustomed to the dark would have no problem navigating the River, even in pitch black. Unfortunately, too many people leave the bar, their house, campsite (lit up with flood lights) and just go. It takes a minimum of 15 minutes for your eyes to adjust. Who ever takes that time?

4) Would they help?

Lake Havasu is very well marked along the Arizona Shore. There are range lights, showing the center channel of the lake, all the way from Thompson Bay to Havasu Springs. In areas where the lake curves, and range lights are impractical, the points are marked with red lights. (Pilot Rock, for example). These lights are frequently being shot out, broken with rocks, and their power systems stolen ot otherwise vandalized.

And even when they are all working perfectly, boats still crash into the shoreline. Sometimes directly into the rocks below the lights themselves.

Conclusion.

The main issue is speed. Like most other collisions, speed a primary factor. No new laws are required. There are already laws on the books regulating speed:

"ARS 5-343. Speed restrictions; excessive wake

No person shall operate a watercraft in excess of the posted limit or at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event, speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person or other watercraft, swamping other watercraft or otherwise endangering the lives or property of other persons."

Now throw in alcohol, which impairs judgment, affects the ability to discern red from green lights, impairs depth perception, and all the other factors, and you have crashes.

The question is, how do we enforce it? Who decides what is "reasonable and prudent". WE know when a boat is going too fast for the conditions. But if WE are left to decide that 25 MPH or 35 MPH is too fast, we will get flack from you "experts" out there, not to mention being grilled by a defense attorney after we issue a citation. In order to say a speed is "too fast", we have to testify what that speed is. We do have radar available, but they aren't really effective in detecting fiberglass boats.

Or do we just wait for a crash to happen and THEN take enforcement action. (Been there, done that)

8dayz

Reaction score
Thank you sir! You are the man!

Reaction score
Alan, i looked for you this weekend. I was really hoping to flip:D you off followed buy a wave and a handshake. Keep up the good job and dont mind the experts. None of them would know there way around a ticket book anyways:D:thumbsup:thumbsup

But really i was hoping to see ya out there

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
BoatCop always comes through with a good explanation. :thumbsup:thumbsup

hallett21

Reaction score
There's been discussion of lighting along the Parker Strip. I just want to put out the facts regarding the subject.

1) Who would install and maintain the lights?

In order to mark a Federal Waterway, either with shore lights or buoys (called Navigation "Aids"), there would need to be approval by the US Coast Guard. The lights would be required to be installed and maintained by a Government Agency.

But who?

Along the California side, you have BLM, State of California, San Bernardino County and CRIT. Arizona, you have BLM, State of Arizona, La Paz County & CRIT. Who would step up and do this and where would the money come to install and maintain them? So far, no one has the ability, funds or insurance authorization to do so.

Once an aid is placed, the entity that placed it is required to maintain it through perpetuity (that means forever, for those of you in the 909). If an aid is off station or a light is out, and not promptly re-set or re-lit, and an accident occurs, the entity that is responsible for it, can be sued for negligence.

Not to mention, publishing brochures, maps, charts, etc. that describe where the aid is, what it's characteristics are (color, height, flash interval, etc)

2) Vandalism

Everyone has seen the buoys already located on the Strip. Including the boom barriers up by the dam. They are covered by various stickers, labels and other junk that idiots have stuck on them. I'll even bet that some on here who are saying we need lights or aids out here are responsible for some of those stickers. Not to mention that lights themselves and their solar systems are frequently stolen or purposefully damaged. The no-wake buoys marking the entrances to the Keys are perfect examples. (A homeowners association, like in the Moovalya Keys, is considered a quasi-government agency for navigation aid purposes, as they control a portion of the waterway.)

3) Navigation in general.

Night time navigation relies on the operators night vision. A person who takes sufficient time to let their vision become accustomed to the dark would have no problem navigating the River, even in pitch black. Unfortunately, too many people leave the bar, their house, campsite (lit up with flood lights) and just go. It takes a minimum of 15 minutes for your eyes to adjust. Who ever takes that time?

4) Would they help?

Lake Havasu is very well marked along the Arizona Shore. There are range lights, showing the center channel of the lake, all the way from Thompson Bay to Havasu Springs. In areas where the lake curves, and range lights are impractical, the points are marked with red lights. (Pilot Rock, for example). These lights are frequently being shot out, broken with rocks, and their power systems stolen ot otherwise vandalized.

And even when they are all working perfectly, boats still crash into the shoreline. Sometimes directly into the rocks below the lights themselves.

Conclusion.

The main issue is speed. Like most other collisions, speed a primary factor. No new laws are required. There are already laws on the books regulating speed:

No person shall operate a watercraft in excess of the posted limit or at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event, speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person or other watercraft, swamping other watercraft or otherwise endangering the lives or property of other persons."

Now throw in alcohol, which impairs judgment, affects the ability to discern red from green lights, impairs depth perception, and all the other factors, and you have crashes.

The question is, how do we enforce it? Who decides what is "reasonable and prudent". WE know when a boat is going too fast for the conditions. But if WE are left to decide that 25 MPH or 35 MPH is too fast, we will get flack from you "experts" out there, not to mention being grilled by a defense attorney after we issue a citation. In order to say a speed is "too fast", we have to testify what that speed is. We do have radar available, but they aren't really effective in detecting fiberglass boats.

Or do we just wait for a crash to happen and THEN take enforcement action. (Been there, done that)

BC,

Aren't all waterways supposed to be marked at night? So that they are navigable? Seems like the state should be responsible for marking a waterway that they either directly or indirectly profit from. Am I wrong in this thinking?

-Loren

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
BC,

Aren't all waterways supposed to be marked at night? So that they are navigable? Seems like the state should be responsible for marking a waterway that they either directly or indirectly profit from. Am I wrong in this thinking?

-Loren

How far do we go?

Do we light the River all the way from Lake Powell to the Mexican border?

Who decides what parts get marked and what parts don't?

What about sandbars? People run up on those all the time. Do we put buoys on every sandbar, even though fluctuating water levels and shifting sandbars change those nearly every day?

Where would it end?

Who's going to pay to install and maintain it?

I don't think any of us want to pay 5 or 10 times what we're paying now for boat registration and/or boat taxes.

Boaters (especially here) are always bitching about Government intrusion and personal responsibilty.

But now you want the Government to come out and do even MORE to protect you from yourself?

Learn the area you boat in, learn proper boating rules and regulations, boat responsibly, and you won't need the Government holding your hand and telling you where you should and shouldn't go.

sdpm

Reaction score
BC,

-Loren

Impossible. How could you mark the whole Colorado River?

Foghorn

Reaction score
The main issue is speed...The question is, how do we enforce it?

I say I say...

You don't. Boaters shall police themselves. From time to time there will be accidents, laws or no laws. That's life. One kid chokes on a toy out of a cereal box, a few people panic and now cereal box toys are outlawed.

Fatal accidents are sad, but they've always been and always will be. Some people are a bit lazy in the self-preservation department and that's their own right. Let them crash. Sad to see, but again, way the cookie will always crumble, I say.

WTRR

Not On The Boat
Reaction score
No bigger than it is, seems like the best solution would be a speed limit on that stretch of the river. Maybe a "no wake" when going with the current and a 10 mph limit going against the current. Except at night when it would be "no wake" no matter what.

Sure it would be inconvient...but think of all the lives it would save.

hallett21

Reaction score
Impossible. How could you mark the whole Colorado River?

I just meant the major parts (lol i know thats a debate in itself). I boat havasu and If I am up towards the dam and need to make a night ride back with no moon or gps Its nice to know I have navigation lights to get me home. I am not asking for a government agency or for more problems, but doesn't lake powell have navigation buoys to get you home and I would bet more people visit parker and havi than they do powell, but I could be wrong.

cave

Reaction score
Thanks for the esplanation BC.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Learn the area you boat in, learn proper boating rules and regulations, boat responsibly, and you won't need the Government holding your hand and telling you where you should and shouldn't go.

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Thank's Boat Cop! You're the man!

I hope it mellows down for you boys up there, and don't have to respond to anymore of these types of calls.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
No bigger than it is, seems like the best solution would be a speed limit on that stretch of the river. Maybe a "no wake" when going with the current and a 10 mph limit going against the current. Except at night when it would be "no wake" no matter what.

are you serious

Kylemenz1

Reaction score

You got to be kidding me!!

cave

Reaction score

:D :D

After reading the threads about alcohol and boat crashes, I wanted to jump right in with the stupidest reply I could come up with and get it in early...

:D :D

Winner :D

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
U could light the whole river up like the Vegas strip. Lights won't prevent poor judgement. :rolleyes:

Essexive G's

Reaction score
I've boated on Mohave, and Mead for over 20 years, and those navigation light have steered me home many a night after fishing for Striper, from Pierce Ferry to Las Vegas Wash, and Willow Beach to Cottonwood Cove. Green to Red was the simple rule, but you still had to know the shallow points that would reach out, and grab your outdrive. I agree with Allen when his says the best deterent to an accident is lake, water knowledge. You HAVE to spend the time to get to know what you are boating on before you add another equation such as darkness, and sad to say drinking. Drinking is for another thread. Get the Topo. maps of the body of water you are boating on. If at the lake, get the current elevations so you know which points can be a problem for your current trip.
I've also been boating on the Strip for the past 6 years since we bought a place there, and I'll tell you a navigation lighting system is not needed, or necessary. There is more than sufficient shore lighting for anyone who takes the time to get to know the Strip before they go 30 - 40 mph. or even more @ night. If you can't see the glare from a light onshore, get off plane until you do. Now, I'm not implying that alcohol, was involved in the accidents over the weekend, as dark as it was, inexperience was all that was needed. However, no one on this board will disagree that alcohol impairs judgement, and reasoning, you add into that cocktail, a dash of inexperience, and you're looking for trouble.

Last edited:

ColeTR2

Reaction score

Attachments

• DrivewayLight.jpg
    DrivewayLight.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

BajaT

Reaction score
Just for the sake of argument:

Parker South/12 mile jct. whatever you want to call intersection at 72 and 95 north of Qtz....Couple of people, likely not familiar with the area, have blown through the stop sign causing multiple fatalities at this intersection. This is basically a 3 way intersection with 72 having right of way. Stop sign for northbound 95 traffic.... Could argue that Parker/Adot/county all have interest in this intersection. ADOT finally, aftert first adding more blinking stop light ahead signs, after making a better right turn lane, decided to put a signal in for 72 and 95 traffic. Don't think any of the above named agencies got sued for not having this signal put in previously. Don't think any of these agencies will be sued in the future for not having better lighting at this intersection after the next fatality either....ADOT "improved" the intersection for a reason, either worried about lawsuits or trying to make it safer.

There have been multiple lives taken at bass point. I assume BLM owns that rock (bass point) and you would think it is possible to "improve" this area as it obviously a "bad" area of the river based on number of "accidents", most involving fatalities.

Disclaimer: BajaT does not support lighting up the strip and thinks it is a joke they changed the 72/95 intersection...

Last edited:

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
How far do we go?
Boaters (especially here) are always bitching about Government intrusion and personal responsibilty.

But now you want the Government to come out and do even MORE to protect you from yourself?

This is one of the best posts I've ever read. I believe personal accountability is one of the biggest problems in society today. Thanks Boatcop.

2Driver

Reaction score
This is one of the best posts I've ever read. I believe personal accountability is one of the biggest problems in society today. Thanks Boatcop.

Fuckin A right there. :thumbsup

AuggieBenDoggie

Reaction score
People are going to be stupid no matter what rules you setup. A few months ago, I ended up dispatching a call for a 32' Powerboat in distress. It was almost 6 pm and the sun was just about down. This is what the reporting party (on the boat in distress) said to me:

Our boat wont start we're out of gas. The GPS says I'm 200 yards from Palos Verdes. I can see Catalina.

Now lets talk about what really happened.

We found him 3 miles off of Palos Verdes.
No marine radio thus no ch 16
The GPS was battery powered and not working.
No lifejackets.
Found one guy 500 yards from the boat trying to swim in.
No working lights on the boat.

It's unreal how dumb people are. Throw in the inclosed nature of the river and you can see why people start calling for knee jerk reactions.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Conclusion.

Amen.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Interesting post.

I live in a country where we have a ton of infrastructure. Every neighborhood has a park and we tend to have a lot of services relative to the population base that has to support it.

I wish we would do a little less and maybe pay a bit less tax. Every time a new service is implemented, it's being charged back to the population somehow.

River Express

Reaction score
Amen BoatCop, Thank you. Wonder if the same people that speed on the river at night with no lights, ride their dirt bikes with no lights at Ocotillo...??? Sounds ridiculous you say? I've Seen it! Hopefully they can just use our taxi at night or maybe ssssllllooowww down when you cant see 30 feet in front of you.

ColeTR2

Reaction score
SPATIAL DISORIENTATION AND ILLUSIONS

This mostly happens to pilots but can happen anytime if the conditions are right. Its something to be scared of and respected.

Spatial disorientation specifically refers to the lack of orientation with regard to the position or movement in complete darkness. The body uses three integrated systems working together to ascertain orientation and movement in space. The eye is by far the largest source of information. Kinesthesia refers to the sensation of position, movement, and tension perceived through the nerves, muscles, and tendons. The vestibular system is a very sensitive motion sensing system located in the inner ears. It reports head position, orientation, and movement in three-dimensional space.

All this information comes together in the brain, and most of the time, the three streams of information agree, giving a clear idea of where and how the body is moving.

Complete darkness can sometimes cause these systems to supply conflicting information to the brain, which can lead to disorientation. The eyes are the major orientation source and usually prevail over false sensations from other sensory systems. When these visual cues are taken away, false sensations can cause a person to quickly become disoriented.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
This is all the fault of the Sun. I think someone should sue it and force it to stay high noon 24 hrs a day.

It all comes down to personal responsibility. Mistakes will happen but this type of deal is not a mistake as much as it is a horrible lapse of judgment. There is a huge difference in the two.

WTDecker

Reaction score
On Havasu with the Lighthouses going up has been great, that has made a big difference. I don't have any problem running Havasu at night from the Springs to Windsor. But my main concern is some idiot sitting out with no lights on. At Powell it is mainly the south end with lighted bouys.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I think the lights on Havasu are great. At night, they let me run way faster and far more drunk.

River Express

Reaction score
Well I'm glad he posted this thread because I was all gungho about putting lights up around the river because I'm sick of hearing about the accidents but it really comes down to being responsible, knowing your surroundings and knowing your limits.

=the1stmate=

shueman

Reaction score
Easy answer...shut down all recreational boating at dusk...;)

Shorty

Reaction score
Great Post with Great information BoatCop, thanks for all the input.

I completely agree with knowing where you boat as being a huge determining factor in crashes during the day or night for that matter. I can't tell you how many crashes during the day and night we've responded too from people going too fast in an unfamiliar area and either running aground during the daytime or hitting Jetties in the evening. People just need to learn to slow down at night and learn where they boat.

Also with the letting your eyesight adjust aspect. Most people don't realize how great you can see at night on the water when you give your eyesight ample time to adjust. We are actually taught it can take ~30 min for your eyesight to initially adjust to the darkness then anytime you see a flash of bright light (ie headlight from a vehicle driving by, bright lights on the shore, etc) that it can take ~10-15 min for your eyesight to readjust. I've picked out things on the horizon on the water in darkness that even I was impressed I caught.

Simple solution in my opinion don't go out at night if you don't know the water, and if you absolutely have to go out drive slow and let your eyes adjust.