WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

GRASSROOTS ROCKS!

Mondorally

Reaction score
Wow, what a weekend. :thumbsup

Let me start by saying thanks to............. EVERYONE! There wasn't a person at the races that wasn't helpful or excited to see us complete newbies out there running. Tons of support from every corner made the weekend that much better.

Specifically I want to thank Jim Lancon (Driver) and Colleen Boerman (Observer)for all they did. Jim was gracious enough to offer to pull me in his 20' Schiada (Boat 510) and Colleen stepped up and rode shotgun at the last minute. Their knowledge was irreplaceable and their excitement was contagious. It made for a great weekend. And thanks to Dennis for letting me borrow his rope and ski for the weekend.

The races themselves were awesome. I blew the start Saturday by taking too much time getting wrapped once in the water. We cruised a solid race and finished happy and exhausted. Sunday's race was awesome. Despite the pain in my legs and water that was worse than Saturday we were pushing harder. I was having a blast but quickly gassing out.... eventually falling at the finish line as we tried to catch the leaders. My legs simply couldn't keep up and simply gave out with a huge splash. There should be some great pics and hopefully some video.

Anyone thinking of getting out there should do it. Its both easier and harder than you can imagine. Just get out and you'll see.... and you'll be hooked like I am!

-Justin Hill

Attachments

• Boat 510.jpg
    Boat 510.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 753

SGettmann

Reaction score
Justin- Awesome job this weekend. Great meeting you and yes...The GRASS roots events were Fantastic. Special thanks to the International Body (Carl Johnson) and Region 2 (Niki Yeder) for hosting and adding the even to the marathon weekend. Hope to see you at more races in the future.

So I'm sure you're like I am currently - soar and fired up, looking forward to the next race in two weeks. Along with another road trip weekend!

And CrazyHippy, when you get on here...Awesome job skiing this weekend. Dave was so fired up driving, he had a huge smile on his face. You looked awesome on the ski getting down the water. The newer generation Maha is much more stable for you over the old school Murdock. You're welcome to use my ski and gear anytime!

Great job guys - The grass roots truly was a success thanks to you!
Sean

Mondorally

Reaction score
Justin- Awesome job this weekend. Great meeting you and yes...The GRASS roots events were Fantastic. Special thanks to the International Body (Carl Johnson) and Region 2 (Niki Yeder) for hosting and adding the even to the marathon weekend. Hope to see you at more races in the future.

So I'm sure you're like I am currently - soar and fired up, looking forward to the next race in two weeks. Along with another road trip weekend!

And CrazyHippy, when you get on here...Awesome job skiing this weekend. Dave was so fired up driving, he had a huge smile on his face. You looked awesome on the ski getting down the water. The newer generation Maha is much more stable for you over the old school Murdock. You're welcome to use my ski and gear anytime!

Great job guys - The grass roots truly was a success thanks to you!
Sean

Sore and fired up pretty describes it pretty well! :D

Yeah,Justin!:thumbsup

<---jealous:D

Thanks! Hope to see you out there soon.

SchiadaDave32

Reaction score
We had a great time also. I would like to thank Jeff Thralls and Steve Irwin (boat 623) for taking the time to help out my daughter in the grass roots races, I think she's hooked. Also would like to thank Katelin and Kevin for the training on fri. and the ski. Looking forward to more races!

Dave

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I dont think i could have said it any better myself.

Everyone was super supportive, very nice, and quite knowledgeable.

I will admit I cant walk today. I've run half marathons that hurt less the next day:grumble: Kinda sad when all you have to do is hang on and stand up on the ski:skull

I need to thank Dave Allen for dragging me behind his MONSTER of a Hallett. Sean Gettman for sitting backwards and being expressive enough w/ his enthusiasm to keep me pushing myself(nothing like some nutjob hangin half out of the boat pumping both hands in the air to keep you going:thumbsup), as well as letting me use a wetsuit, helmet, etc (meaning he had to put on a wet wetsuit an hour later:bowdown:)

Also need to thank Mondorally. I know I pushed harder because the person next to me wasn't some random guy.

As for me... I also blew my start on Saturday. I was in and ready to go 5sec before the flag dropped, and as the time came the ski fell over. I let go w/ one hand to straighten back up, and the handles just drifted away:bash: Then we had to wait for the women to get up and gone before Dave could get the rope to me (had a skier really close to me) by the time i got my 2nd start, i was in dead last and in the slop left behind 10 boats. :grumble: Sean kept me just on the edge of my comfort level:thumbsup I would ask for a lil more and get it, but only had to give 2-3 "downs" all weekend, he could tell before i did. Dave also was really good about knowing that i was going to be getting some slop, and backing off, only to get back in it right as i was clearing the bad water.

Sunday i made my start (unwrapped) and was in 3rd or 4th of the guys by the time i got wrapped up. The wind was howling and there were white caps blowing across the river. I used Sean's ski (considerably bigger than my old School Murdoch) and Daves boat knocking the water flat, and Sean's ski eating up what was left, i was quite comfortable. I was so comfortable, we were the 1st boat to the turn bouy up river:champagne: At that point a combination of a new ski, exhausted legs, the Wendt #7 boat being a distraction (they were JUST inside of us, the boat felt like it was right next to me), and a bit of over confidence conspired to have me come out the front of the ski:smackbum:
I got to watch all of the people i had just worked so hard to pass go by. Then had to hoist myself back onto the boat so i could put the ski back on. Sean and Dave had the ski back on, me in the water, and up skiing way faster than I expected. I have to give props to all of the drivers in the race; Floating in the water, in the middle of the turn, and never felt in danger:thumbsup The rest of the race was un-eventful until the drag race to the finish, The 197 boat was running hard, but i had enough left to get by, we make the turn and can see the finish line and they start creeping back up along side me:eek: Oh hell no... I worked way to hard to lose a spot in the last 1/2 mile:fingers: Lets drag race!!! Not sure how fast we ended up going, but I'm convinced there was a sonic boom

Now for the neagtives... Kdub, Tdub, and Haigster... i hate you all. I would be convinced it is not possible to go any faster than i went on a ski, if you hadn't gone much faster, further, and made it look super easy. You 3 are in another league, and i Hate you for it:D makes us mortals look bad dammit.

OK, thanks again to everyone involved, w/ an extra shout out to the safety guys, the registration gals, and the sandman. I'm hooked, and it's all your fault:thumbsup

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Oh and there are no excuses for not coming out and skiing. The gals @ registration can make sure you get everything you need. They will find you a suit, ski, boat, etc if they need too.:thumbsup

Mondorally

Reaction score
Oh and there are no excuses for not coming out and skiing. The gals @ registration can make sure you get everything you need. They will find you a suit, ski, boat, etc if they need too.:thumbsup

Kind of like the mythical drug pusher on the corner... "Here kid, the first hit is on me". Next thing you know..... you're hooked. :D :thumbsup:thumbsup

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Kind of like the mythical drug pusher on the corner... "Here kid, the first hit is on me". Next thing you know..... you're hooked. :D :thumbsup:thumbsup

It's completely non adictive... like crack:skull:rotflmao:

Firecracker

I have no member
Reaction score
Justin- So glad you had a great time! I responded to you over on USASkiRace.com, but I want to give a quick response here as well… It is so good to hear that you guys had such a great time! Parker is some of the fastest water you will see all year, and it is “sticky” because it is so smooth. All of you did GREAT! And it is even better to see the big smiles when you are done. Hope you come back out to the next race in a couple weeks at Parker! Should be an even better time then! Hopefully we can meet each other there! I was a bit busy with registration, and release forms Saturday morning, so I didn’t have a chance to socialize at all… Hope to see you at the next one!

Sean- You looked GREAT this weekend! Sunday was a good day for you, and Saturday, you looked awesome in the far turn. Keep up all the hard work you’ve been doing, it shows. And don’t worry about how you started the race Saturday, EVERYONE does that at one point or another! I had a bad start Saturday too (slight boat probs), but, you have to keep your chin up, and know that Sunday can only get better! It’s better to get it done and out of the way, and not have to worry about it anymore. You are doing great, and have come a long way since you first started skiing. Keep doing what you are doing, and you will be where you want to be in no time!

Look forward to seeing everyone in two weeks! YEE HAW!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Wow, congrats to you all! I used to be able to ski dam to dam. Yeah, like 30 years ago!!!! LOL

Have at it, enjoy, and have a great time. The years go by WAY too fast! :D

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Justin, I got a couple of you, I am trying to upload the remainder of Sat. pix but my computer is giving me fits.

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 423

Wheeler

Reaction score
Thanks! Get any of my splashdown on Sunday?

No I didn't, I missed the 2nd race as I was sitting up river waiting, I forgot about a shortened course.

ocphoto

Daren
Reaction score
What a great weekend, a huge thanks to everybody who helped and get the Grassroots event together and all the teams that volunteered their time and equipment. My son Justin (JT) was so stoked to be in his first race and talked about it until the minute he had to get on the boat, I know he is hooked big time. He raced both Sat and Sunday, I thought for sure he would sleep on the drive home Sunday, but he talked about the race and the next one it two weeks most of the trip home.
So again thanks to everbody involved in the Grassroots Program. I know JT will be commenting to, but I would like to send a special thanks to Katlin, Trevor and Mallory for working with JT on Friday, and as always a Huge thanks to Lori Dunsmore.

Another HUGE thanks to the two teams that pulled JT:

Saturday: Rons Swanson and Ted Hoffman

Sunday: Doc Anderson and Mike King

Here are the first few pics of the Grassroots race from Saturday, there are many many more and will upload as I can.
Enjoy

Attachments

• Sat GR_10.jpg
    Sat GR_10.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 337
  • Sat GR_09.jpg
    Sat GR_09.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 345
  • Sat GR_08.jpg
    Sat GR_08.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 340
  • Sat GR_07.jpg
    Sat GR_07.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 342
  • Sat GR_06.jpg
    Sat GR_06.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 338
  • Sat GR_05.jpg
    Sat GR_05.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 337
  • Sat GR_04.jpg
    Sat GR_04.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 343
  • Sat GR_03.jpg
    Sat GR_03.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 349
  • Sat GR_02.jpg
    Sat GR_02.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 349
  • Sat GR_01.jpg
    Sat GR_01.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 362

work2ski

Reaction score
I second all that!

Thanks a million to Glen Anderson for towing me behind his #57 Bernico - what a great ride! Corbin for observing and keeping me up. It is amazing that these guys (and girls) are so supportive of new people trying their sport. I am grateful to all of the members that helped us out.

I too missed my start on Saturday, didn't make sure the rope was clear and wound up with a tangle. Once I was up, it was a blast! Great water:D I thought Sunday would be my day, but my legs were not in agreement :grumble: Can't wait to do it again, Definitely hooked!!!

RD it was great meeting you on Saturday, thanks for coming out!

David Hein

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Nice to meet you as well Dave! Had a good time down at the pits.. I wish I could've been down a little earlier and got some more footage. :)

RD

work2ski

Reaction score
Did that video you set up on Gary Hairebedian's boat work out?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Did that video you set up on Gary Hairebedian's boat work out?

Worked out bitchen!! It's a short vid because the boat broke, but it's bad ass. I got another one in 321 boat that came out sweet as well. :)

I'm downloading editing software now and am Hoping to have sometime to edit them up tonight. :)

RD

ocphoto

Daren
Reaction score
A few more from Saturdays GR race, Sundays GR race will be next
Enjoy

Attachments

• Sat GR_17.jpg
    Sat GR_17.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Sat GR_18.jpg
    Sat GR_18.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 341
  • Sat GR_19.jpg
    Sat GR_19.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 342
  • Sat GR_20.jpg
    Sat GR_20.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 350
  • Sat GR_16.jpg
    Sat GR_16.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 349
  • Sat GR_15.jpg
    Sat GR_15.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 348
  • Sat GR_14.jpg
    Sat GR_14.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 357
  • Sat GR_13.jpg
    Sat GR_13.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 363
  • Sat GR_12.jpg
    Sat GR_12.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 364
  • Sat GR_11.jpg
    Sat GR_11.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 353
Reaction score
I had a great time as well and would like to thank everyone involved and Ron Swanson and Doc. Anderson for puling me, Ted Hoffman and Mike King for observing for me, Troy Swanson for letting me borrow gear and a bridel. Lori Dunsmore for the ski and letting borrow rope and a bridel, Tyler Murry for letting me borrow a suit, and Katelin and Trevor Wendt and Mallory Norblad for the prctice on fri. Once again thank you all for the help and support. :bowdown::bowdown:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I had a great time as well and would like to thank everyone involved and Ron Swanson and Doc. Anderson for puling me, Ted Hoffman and Mike King for observing for me, Troy Swanson for letting me borrow gear and a bridel. Lori Dunsmore for the ski and letting borrow rope and a bridel, Tyler Murry for letting me borrow a suit, and Katelin and Trevor Wendt and Mallory Norblad for the prctice on fri. Once again thank you all for the help and support. :bowdown::bowdown:

Very cool to see you out there doing it JT!!! Keep up the good work!

Now I gotta get off my fat ass, and figure out how to get in a boat. LOL

RD

Kdub157

Reaction score
Hey guys!

thanks for making the grass roots marathon such a success! it was awesome to see so many of you out there skiing.
thanks to carl johnson for making the GR marathon a part of the IWSRA race weekend.

sorry if i couldnt get to everyone this weekend...i was crazy busy!

if anyone needs any further help before the end of march race weekend let me know! you guys all did awesome!

-Kdub

ocphoto

Daren
Reaction score
Here are a few from Sundays GR race. Wish I knew everybodys name so I could ID them on the photo, but i did get a start. Justin H. got a 3 photo sequence of you step off, but only posted 2.

Attachments

• Sun GR_27.jpg
    Sun GR_27.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 293
  • Sun GR_28.jpg
    Sun GR_28.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 291
  • Sun GR_29.jpg
    Sun GR_29.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 704
  • Sun GR_30.jpg
    Sun GR_30.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 286
  • Sun GR_26.jpg
    Sun GR_26.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 291
  • Sun GR_25.jpg
    Sun GR_25.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 282
  • Sun GR_24.jpg
    Sun GR_24.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 287
  • Sun GR_23.jpg
    Sun GR_23.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 284
  • Sun GR_22.jpg
    Sun GR_22.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 286
  • Sun GR_21.jpg
    Sun GR_21.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 321

ocphoto

Daren
Reaction score
Heres another group.

Attachments

• Sun GR_36.jpg
    Sun GR_36.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 267
  • Sun GR_35.jpg
    Sun GR_35.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 266
  • Sun GR_34.jpg
    Sun GR_34.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 269
  • Sun GR_33.jpg
    Sun GR_33.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 271
  • Sun GR_32.jpg
    Sun GR_32.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 270
  • Sun GR_31.jpg
    Sun GR_31.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 271

stevo13

Reaction score
SchiadaDave

Your Daughter did awesome it was fun to see a bunch of new people come out and give it a go hopefully be able to see you guys out at some more races

Steve

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Here are a few from Sundays GR race. Wish I knew everybodys name so I could ID them on the photo,

this be me:D Sean Gettman riding backwards, and Dave Allen out for a sunday drive

BJ Hipskind

attachment.php

SGettmann

Reaction score
BJ - have to say it was a total kick in the ass going down the front stretch, 3 skiers wide, going into the first turn, and us up against the beach. Hearing those turbos work in the boat, sucking down fuel, and watching you over the rooster tail, giving Dave hand signs. A very cool experience. You see the smile on Dave's face??? We loved it!

Trouble911

Marty
Reaction score
I'll second that! Good job Dave and Ally. Now try the excitement of circle races and you'll really be hooked.

Wheeler

Reaction score
this be me:D Sean Gettman riding backwards, and Dave Allen out for a sunday drive

BJ Hipskind

attachment.php

I heard your name over the pa, now we'll know who they are speaking of. :thumbsup

Attachments

• IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 327

stevel

Reaction score
I had been away from ski racing for a long time and it was good to be back. My two girls rachel and sydney had a great time and an want to race in two weeks. I was very proud to see them try hard and finish. I dont think I could have done it on two skies.

Firecracker

I have no member
Reaction score
I had been away from ski racing for a long time and it was good to be back. My two girls rachel and sydney had a great time and an want to race in two weeks. I was very proud to see them try hard and finish. I dont think I could have done it on two skies.

I have to give a HUGE hand! There is no way I could have done that! Bring them back if you can in two weeks!!!

This is so awesome to see so many people out having a great time doing this. Next race, you will all do better than this last one, and so on... Keep it up! You are all doing so great!

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score

Hey Steve, i was the guy BSing w/ you on sunday. I have a few pics of you & the girls just chilling in the boat. PM me an e-mail Address:thumbsup

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I heard your name over the pa, now we'll know who they are speaking of. :thumbsup

Disheartening to see Dave is just out for a cruise, arm out the window and all... while i'm sure we were going 300MPH:grumble::rotflmao:

LV R SCHIADA'S

Reaction score
Justin,

Congrats, Congrats !!!:D:D, man you have done something I've wanted to do for many, many years behind pops old Schiada (the one I owned), you truly affirmed that coulda, woulda & shoulda don't get it done, you rock for getin it done !!!

Hope to see the next set or races in Parker.

Scott

Wide Open Throttle

Reaction score
Great racing this weekend Justin (Mondorally). I think you did an outstanding job on Saturday, but on Sunday you pulled out all the stops and charged it hard up til about 100 yards from the checkered flag. It made for some great stories at work today. This is great fun and I look forward to doing it again in two weeks. Train hard everyone!

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score

I didn't see the Grass Roots race on Saturday, but saw it on Sunday. Your daughter finishing the grass roots race on two skies was the best thing I saw all weekend. You should be very proud of your girls and the determination shown. Especially with the cold wind on Sunday. That was a long way to go, cold, arms out front, and on two skis. Great to see and hope they will be back in two weeks.

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
Sounds like the weekend was a lot of fun. It is exciting to hear about the grassroots event being so positive. Hopefully this will breathe new life into the sport and keep it around for a long time.
Steve, great to hear you and the girls had a good time it sounds like it was an inspiring finish. :champagne:

Faceaz

Reaction score
Really cool pics. What distance did the Grassroots run?

SchiadaDave32

Reaction score
SchiadaDave

Your Daughter did awesome it was fun to see a bunch of new people come out and give it a go hopefully be able to see you guys out at some more races

Steve

Thanks alot Steve we had a great time and a big THANK YOU to you and Jeff for all the help!

SchiadaDave32

Reaction score
I'll second that! Good job Dave and Ally. Now try the excitement of circle races and you'll really be hooked.

Thanks Marty it was good to see you it's been a long time since those weekends at the softball fields. Fast boats and ski racing is more my style.

Mondorally

Reaction score
Really cool pics. What distance did the Grassroots run?

Felt like 50 miles.... but it was the same course as the Parker 300 - Bluewater to just before the public launch ramp. 2 laps. Not sure of the exact distance but my quads and calves are still wondering what happened... :D

work2ski

Reaction score
Grassroots race was about 12 miles... and yes, my quads are STILL burning :grumble:

Mondorally

Reaction score
Justin,

Congrats, Congrats !!!:D:D, man you have done something I've wanted to do for many, many years behind pops old Schiada (the one I owned), you truly affirmed that coulda, woulda & shoulda don't get it done, you rock for getin it done !!!

Hope to see the next set or races in Parker.

Scott

Never too late. They do have a flatbottom class..... Just sayin' :D

Great racing this weekend Justin (Mondorally). I think you did an outstanding job on Saturday, but on Sunday you pulled out all the stops and charged it hard up til about 100 yards from the checkered flag. It made for some great stories at work today. This is great fun and I look forward to doing it again in two weeks. Train hard everyone!

And that's what its all about. Thanks again for everything! Looking forward to the next one.

-Justin

the sandman

Reaction score
To all the participants, especially the grass roots gang from the Sandman " the voice of water ski racing" You we're awesome and welcome to the greatest water sport around!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
To all the participants, especially the grass roots gang from the Sandman " the voice of water ski racing" You we're awesome and welcome to the greatest water sport around!!!

Welcome to the board "Sandman" :)

Great Announcing!

RD

the sandman

Reaction score
missed it by that much! But i still have the shirt that you gave me at Catalina, so i do not feel so bad!